Blue people in harlan
This for real

Richmond, KY

#1 Mar 3, 2012
Are there really blue people in harlan county? I have always heard this didnt know it was true or not
Hazzard

United States

#2 Mar 3, 2012
The Fugates, a family that lived in the hills of Kentucky, are the most famous example of this hereditary genetic condition. They are known as the "Blue Fugates." Martin Fugate settled near Hazard, Kentucky, circa 1800. His wife was a carrier of the recessive methemoglobinemia (met-H) gene, as was a nearby clan with whom the Fugates intermarried. As a result, many descendants of the Fugates were born with met-H.

The "blue men of Lurgan" were a pair of Lurgan men suffering from what was described as "familial idiopathic methaemoglobinaemia" who were treated by Dr. James Deeny in 1942. Deeny, who would later become the Chief Medical Officer of the Republic of Ireland, prescribed a course of ascorbic acid and sodium bicarbonate. In case one, by the eighth day of treatment there was a marked change in appearance and by the twelfth day of treatment the patient's complexion was normal. In case two, the patient's complexion reached normality over a month-long duration of treatment
Appalachian

United States

#3 Mar 3, 2012
Being part Appalachian, Kentuckians are used to inbreeding jokes. However, there is one joke about Kentucky and inbreeding that's funny because it's true: The story of the Blue Fugates of Troublesome Creek. The Fugates were an extended family living in an isolated hollow in Eastern Kentucky ominously named Troublesome Creek. Most members of the family had "hereditary methemoglobinemia." This is an enzyme deficiency that causes a person's blood to run vein blue as opposed to arterial red. Instead of being pink, these people are tinted blue or purple. The condition is based on a recessive gene; the only way to acquire it is if both your parents pass down the love. So what were the odds of clan founder Martin Fugate taking another methemoglobinemia carrier as his wife? He did, and they settled in Troublesome Creek sometime in the mid 19th Century. Cousins marrying cousins was commonplace among isolated Appalachians, so by the time a doctor discovered the Fugates in the 1960s, there were several blue people living in the hills around Hazard.
this for real

Richmond, KY

#4 Mar 3, 2012
Are they any still around? Has anyone seen them
Appalachian

United States

#5 Mar 3, 2012
Dont know.Never saw any myself
Clayton Walton

Pikeville, KY

#6 Mar 4, 2012
I thought these people lived up mud creek in Frakes? I was always told by my family and friend never to go down that road without at least 2 police officers. Real life deliverance, a bunch of imbred murderers, thiefs, and meth addicts.
Man from Mars

Mayfield, KY

#7 Mar 4, 2012
Clayton Walton wrote:
I thought these people lived up mud creek in Frakes? I was always told by my family and friend never to go down that road without at least 2 police officers. Real life deliverance, a bunch of inbred murderers, thief's, and meth addicts.
Sorry Clayton...but you see what misinformation and silly gossip
cause? Ignorant stories like that!
this for real

Richmond, KY

#8 Mar 4, 2012
Lol no "clayton walton". Mudcreek is down close to jellico i believe i used to work with a guy that had to go through mud creek every night. From the way he talk it is a baaaaad place. He said they use to block the road on people and try and take there stuff but, he never mentioned any blue people lol. I had always heard growing up about the "blue people" up around harlan and I was curious to wether there was any truth in it. Turns out there was. Pretty interesting
just me

United States

#9 Mar 5, 2012
this for real wrote:
Are they any still around? Has anyone seen them
I have actually seen one when I was a child. the one I'm speaking of, Nelson Fugate, lived around Molus, ky back in the sixties or seventies.He really was blue.
Man from Mars

Mayfield, KY

#10 Mar 5, 2012
You know your on the internet...don't you?
Look it up and READ ABOUT THEM...DUH!
this for real

Richmond, KY

#11 Mar 5, 2012
Man from Mars wrote:
You know your on the internet...don't you?
Look it up and READ ABOUT THEM...DUH!
I did but, it doesnt give any up to date info on them. I was more curious to if they was any still living around in the area
iga

United States

#12 Mar 5, 2012
smurfs
Man from Mars

Mayfield, KY

#13 Mar 6, 2012
this for real wrote:
<quoted text>
I did but, it doesnt give any up to date info on them. I was more curious to if they was any still living around in the area
Here
my friend have a look!
http://youtu.be/4iJVWMR4Uq0
It's troublesome creek blue people...
Football

London, KY

#14 Oct 25, 2012
This for real wrote:
Are there really blue people in harlan county? I have always heard this didnt know it was true or not
I know theres at least 8 of them. If all the Hollers empty out they will be at the Game Friday Night. There easy to spot they look alot like Smurphs.
Wild Rose

Murray, KY

#15 Oct 25, 2012
Clayton Walton wrote:
I thought these people lived up mud creek in Frakes? I was always told by my family and friend never to go down that road without at least 2 police officers. Real life deliverance, a bunch of imbred murderers, thiefs, and meth addicts.
Wow aren't you just so smart with all your map skills and mumbo jumbo folklore passed down from your super intelligent ancestors! However, just so you know the next time you want to insult or enlighten someone with your amazing brain cell :), Mud Creek is not in Frakes. I however am from Frakes, I am not inbred, never murdered anyone, my parents raised me to work just as they did all their life and I'm willing to bet that 95% of the people in my wonderful little community do work or are retired. My family is full of hard working coal miners and hard working women and we all pray to the God Almighty. I pay for what I get, always have always will. My children work for what they get, and are drug free. I am drug free and have never done meth, never even seen meth but since I am in the medical field I have helped save the lives of more than one addict and would even help save the life of judgemental snotty self righteous individuals such as yourself. Our beautiful children rank at the top of intelligence in scholistic scores and I'm proud to say they get it honest. We are intelligent, we stand our ground, we stick together when necessary, we are suvivors, our heritage proves that. Sure, there have been bad things occur here but bad things happen everywhere. However, I have seen several people that others consider to be "trash" run to help out a community memeber when they were hurt or in need. What really amazes me is when people like you wrap themself up in a blanket of ignorance and sit around pointing out the faults of others while remaining blind to their own imperfections. I am far from perfect & I live in an imperfect world, but unlike you my google map don't give directions to the land of make believe.
just me

United States

#16 Oct 25, 2012
Wild Rose wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow aren't you just so smart with all your map skills and mumbo jumbo folklore passed down from your super intelligent ancestors! However, just so you know the next time you want to insult or enlighten someone with your amazing brain cell :), Mud Creek is not in Frakes. I however am from Frakes, I am not inbred, never murdered anyone, my parents raised me to work just as they did all their life and I'm willing to bet that 95% of the people in my wonderful little community do work or are retired. My family is full of hard working coal miners and hard working women and we all pray to the God Almighty. I pay for what I get, always have always will. My children work for what they get, and are drug free. I am drug free and have never done meth, never even seen meth but since I am in the medical field I have helped save the lives of more than one addict and would even help save the life of judgemental snotty self righteous individuals such as yourself. Our beautiful children rank at the top of intelligence in scholistic scores and I'm proud to say they get it honest. We are intelligent, we stand our ground, we stick together when necessary, we are suvivors, our heritage proves that. Sure, there have been bad things occur here but bad things happen everywhere. However, I have seen several people that others consider to be "trash" run to help out a community memeber when they were hurt or in need. What really amazes me is when people like you wrap themself up in a blanket of ignorance and sit around pointing out the faults of others while remaining blind to their own imperfections. I am far from perfect & I live in an imperfect world, but unlike you my google map don't give directions to the land of make believe.
Well said! cuoldn't agree more.
just me

United States

#17 Oct 25, 2012
oops. couldn't

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pineville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Comrade Trump 3 hr just sayin 9
No change for Bell County school district 12 hr watching in Stink... 19
Doors WIDE open!!! 14 hr Dreaming 10
Block party in pineville 14 hr Middlesbro 1
Wreck up arjay 14 hr Arjay 1
School 14 hr Candy 1
Stinky 14 hr Kate 1

Pineville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance