Army medic made famous in Iraq photo dies

Full story: Chicago Tribune

A former Army medic made famous by a photograph that showed him carrying an injured Iraqi boy during the first week of the war in March 2003 has died of an apparent overdose, police said.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of38
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
tom

Mokena, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2008

RIP Hero. May those things that troubled you so much to take your own life be forever gone.
Mike

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2008

Yay, another death courtesy of the Totalitarian Republican Dicatorship. Vote McCain!
Vato

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2008

What an absolute shame.. My condolences and prayers to his family.. May he rest in peace..
Andy Cunanan

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2008

tom wrote:
RIP Hero. May those things that troubled you so much to take your own life be forever gone.
Amen to that
Sheila

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2008

I read another article that the family is suing the government because they claim it was after his vehicle was hit by a rocket he couldn't sleep without nightmares. I believe he had these problems before he joined the service.
Ex Ranger

Costa Mesa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2008

Mike wrote:
Yay, another death courtesy of the Totalitarian Republican Dicatorship. Vote McCain!
Mike, you're the scum of the earth. How dare you denigrate this hero's death.
Animal Cracker

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2008

Here's my problem with this article...
1) If you're going to tell of a soldier who was photoed doing something heroic, then show me the darn photo in question, not a photo of Ringo Starr giving peace signs immediately next to this article... What are you, a bunch of 12 year olds?
Ex Ranger

Costa Mesa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2008

Animal Cracker wrote:
1) If you're going to tell of a soldier who was photoed doing something heroic, then show me the darn photo in question, not a photo of Ringo Starr giving peace signs immediately next to this article... What are you, a bunch of 12 year olds?
Excellent post Animal. I looked all over the internet and couldn't fine an article that included the picture. If anyone has a link to it please post it. Thanks in advance.
Lola

Streamwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2008

Animal Cracker wrote:
I agree!
South Side Hitmen

Kankakee, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2008

Ex Ranger wrote:
<quoted text>
Mike, you're the scum of the earth. How dare you denigrate this hero's death.
Pick up a rifle, or shut your mouth.
South Side Hitmen

Kankakee, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2008

Ex Ranger...that last post was meant for Mike.
Mama

Harrisonburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2008

How very, very sad. May he rest in peace now.My heart goes out to his family.
Lola

Streamwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2008

“The sane guy in Chicago”

Since: Feb 08

Chicago

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2008

Godspeed soldier.
Dienne

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2008

Sheila wrote:
I read another article that the family is suing the government because they claim it was after his vehicle was hit by a rocket he couldn't sleep without nightmares. I believe he had these problems before he joined the service.
Yeah, you're probably right. There's no reason that having your vehicle hit by a rocket would cause nightmares. Couldn't have been anything related to the war.
Vato

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2008

Ex Ranger wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent post Animal. I looked all over the internet and couldn't fine an article that included the picture. If anyone has a link to it please post it. Thanks in advance.
Googled his name and found this article. http://lonestartimes.com/2008/07/08/spc-josep...
Just Say No

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2008

Good riddance to him and all the junkies who overdose on drugs. The world doesn't need them.
krebs

Fredericksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2008

Just Say No wrote:
Good riddance to him and all the junkies who overdose on drugs. The world doesn't need them.
Rather cold of you.
Better Rates

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2008

Animal Cracker wrote:
They didn't show it because he didn't do anything heroic. It was just a picture of a man holding a child. He didn't rush out into a hail of machine gun fire to grab the child. He didn't fend off a dozen enemy soldiers while carrying the boy. He did his job. That's it. He was not a hero.
Just Say No

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2008

krebs wrote:
<quoted text>
Rather cold of you.
Yes. He was a junkie. I've got no warmth in my heart for junkies.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of38
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pinehurst Discussions

Search the Pinehurst Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 5 hr Red Square 54,810
Dora Bell Holden and Herman(Harmon) Franks (Dec '11) Jul 7 Herman Smith 2
Review: Shiponsite Jun '14 kettermn 1
Andrew Almeida? May '14 Sports fan 1
Maureen Krueger, District Attorney for Moore C... (Sep '12) May '14 common sense 2
Editorial: Recipients establish benchmarks Mar '14 jonp 1
Coyotes on the prowl (Nov '06) Jan '14 Coywolf not coyote 250
•••
•••
•••
•••

Pinehurst Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Pinehurst People Search