Cass County bus driver sentenced in c...

Cass County bus driver sentenced in child's death

There are 12 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Aug 18, 2010, titled Cass County bus driver sentenced in child's death. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A school bus driver has received a suspended jail sentence in Cass County for an accident that killed a 6-year-old boy.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Since: Jan 09

United States of America

#1 Aug 18, 2010
My, he was really hit hard, 135 dollars.
Sarge

Jacksonville, IL

#2 Aug 18, 2010
He killed a child. Isn't that punishment enough golfer man?

United States of America

#3 Aug 18, 2010
Sarge wrote:
He killed a child. Isn't that punishment enough golfer man?
No.
Wow

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Aug 18, 2010
His negligence cost a 6 yr. old child his life. A $135.00 fine and a suspended 10 DAY jail sentence seems pretty light handed to me.
jerry person

Danbury, WI

#5 Aug 18, 2010
accident is a accident. no criminal intent makes the bus driver a victum of a criminal just us system. I remember when America had liberty and justice for all and required criminal intent. Today we have criminal just us systems that do not allow the bill of rights, declaration of independents and only recognised the second amendment of the constitution. This has made American courts less civilized and less honorable than anywhere in the world.

Since: Jul 10

Duluth, MN

#6 Aug 18, 2010
Should we really allow a 74 year old to bus around our children? They can even drive their buicks and we're letting them drive a bus?
Wow

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Aug 18, 2010
jerry person wrote:
accident is a accident. no criminal intent makes the bus driver a victum of a criminal just us system. I remember when America had liberty and justice for all and required criminal intent. Today we have criminal just us systems that do not allow the bill of rights, declaration of independents and only recognised the second amendment of the constitution. This has made American courts less civilized and less honorable than anywhere in the world.
Remember the 92 yr. old woman driving on the wrong side of the road in No. Dak. a week or two ago? She killed 2 people on their motorcycles because of her negligence. Does your "accident is a accident" theory apply to her as well. If it had been YOUR wife, or YOUR husband she killed due to her lack of attention would you still say she is a "victim of the criminal justice system"?

I think not.
jail

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Aug 18, 2010
I feel for both sides... the family of this little man and the driver of the bus. I have family in that area, and know how it has affected the community. I am sure the driver knew the family and it was not done on purpose. Pine River is a town of about 800-900, the school district also includes Backus which has about 200 people- about 1000 total!
I like the fact that the bus driver has to talk to other drivers, hopefully the next child will be saved. Do I agree with the court rulings?.. I am not sure as it doesn't list everything he has to do to avoid court.
Casual Observer

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Aug 18, 2010
The Golf Guy wrote:
My, he was really hit hard, 135 dollars.
You are one of the biggest jack as-ses that posts here. Go eff yourself, dirtbag.

Kids are stupid. They do stupid things all the time. They goof around buses, traffic, and all sorts of dangerous things. You want good people to drive school buses? Keep charging people like this poor guy and pretty soon people who are on meth will be driving your little sh-ts to school because NO ONE will want that job. I drove a bus many years ago and the idiocy of kids never ceased to amaze. If you want the bus driver to get out of the bus every time he drops kids off, then you run the risk of having some other little sh-t close the door on him and lock him out. Assuming he has to take the keys with him, you run the risk of the bus not starting again. But that is not likely because the bus driver currently cannot leave the bus with kids on it under anything but the rarest of circumstances. How far do you want to go to insure safety? You can go so far as to make it impossible to drive a bus.

Then you jack as-s parents who complain about everything will have to take your little shi-ts to school yourselves.

The bottom line here is that the kid did NOT follow the safety procedures, and the bus driver likely had his hands full already. Bus drivers have too many things going on to be entirely responsible for everything that happens outside the bus, let alone inside the bus too.

Since: Mar 08

St. Paul, MN

#10 Aug 18, 2010
jerry person wrote:
An accident is an accident. The fact that he neglected to make sure the child was out of the vicinity keeps this from being a simple accident. Not knowing the specific circumstances, I would classify this as negligent homicide.
JLK4

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Aug 18, 2010
Casual Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
You are one of the biggest jack as-ses that posts here. Go eff yourself, dirtbag.
Kids are stupid. They do stupid things all the time. They goof around buses, traffic, and all sorts of dangerous things. You want good people to drive school buses? Keep charging people like this poor guy and pretty soon people who are on meth will be driving your little sh-ts to school because NO ONE will want that job. I drove a bus many years ago and the idiocy of kids never ceased to amaze. If you want the bus driver to get out of the bus every time he drops kids off, then you run the risk of having some other little sh-t close the door on him and lock him out. Assuming he has to take the keys with him, you run the risk of the bus not starting again. But that is not likely because the bus driver currently cannot leave the bus with kids on it under anything but the rarest of circumstances. How far do you want to go to insure safety? You can go so far as to make it impossible to drive a bus.
Then you jack as-s parents who complain about everything will have to take your little shi-ts to school yourselves.
The bottom line here is that the kid did NOT follow the safety procedures, and the bus driver likely had his hands full already. Bus drivers have too many things going on to be entirely responsible for everything that happens outside the bus, let alone inside the bus too.
How sick are you to say that this 6-year old little boy was at fault. If you knew the facts, you would know that he was walking in front of the bus, like he was supposed to do, and the bus driver started going before he looked to see if he was across the street. He wasn't screwing around. The bus driver has an OBLIGATION to make sure the kids are across the street safe before they put the bus in drive. Now who's the jack as-s?!

United States of America

#12 Aug 18, 2010
Casual Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
So you drove a bus, big deal. The bottom line is, the driver did not see the 6 year old, on the left side of the bus, before he started moving again. You can not assume the kid was ok, when you can't see him. This is what the driver admitted to, he was distracted by other kids on the bus, and assumed the kid made it across. He should have physically looked if he wasn't sure. How dare you blame a 6 year old? You call me a dirtbag?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pine River Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Court suspends Vadnais Heights lawyer's license (Apr '10) Jun '16 Bar None 11
The sky is falling (Jan '09) Feb '16 Typical Black Man 4
News Gilbert Vargo (Jun '15) Jun '15 linnc2f 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Jun '15 Richard Vickerman 17
News Risk Level 3 Sex Offender to be Released in Pin... (Apr '10) Mar '15 AMANDA 6
Debate: Gay Marriage - Hackensack, MN (Jun '12) Jul '14 Pinky 13
News Man Charged In Fatal Deer Stand Fight (Nov '10) Mar '14 Big Time 6

Pine River Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pine River Mortgages