“FOOTBALL”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#14149 Jun 1, 2013
We grew up eating all kinds of weird greens, including oxtails.
Did your Grandma have another name for the dandelions? I can't spell it properly( my family could have just made up the word) but we always called them Cha-gaud-ia.
Spooky Mulder wrote:
<quoted text>
My grandma used to pick them and cook them like greens. We had a huge garden. Used to have to put up about 60 quarts of tomatoes every year. I didn't care for other canned veggies. I like them fresh. Still put in a garden every year.

Since: Sep 11

Weeki Wachee, Florida

#14150 Jun 1, 2013
LizW wrote:
We grew up eating all kinds of weird greens, including oxtails.
Did your Grandma have another name for the dandelions? I can't spell it properly( my family could have just made up the word) but we always called them Cha-gaud-ia. <quoted text>
She just called them "greens". She had eight kids during the Depression. I think people learn to eat things that they never thought they would before. Fortunately, we had a lot of relatives that were farmers, so the kids got shipped off to live on farms. Of course, they had to help work the farm.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#14151 Jun 1, 2013
LizW wrote:
LOL my kids would pick me dandelions too.
When you eat the dandelions you don't eat the flower part, or at least I never heard of eating the flower.<quoted text>
I almost have my husband talked in to trying the dandelions..he is all about health and I Found a article about the health benefits of them.

“That's all folks...”

Since: Jan 12

Paradise North Georgia

#14152 Jun 1, 2013
Good morning everyone~~
I've heard luffa can be eaten, since they're in the
squash catagory.
Must be very young when using them in cooking.

When left to dry for bathing sponges~~
They develop a sound like a rain stick when
you shake them.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#14153 Jun 1, 2013
rubygoober wrote:
Good morning everyone~~
I've heard luffa can be eaten, since they're in the
squash catagory.
Must be very young when using them in cooking.
When left to dry for bathing sponges~~
They develop a sound like a rain stick when
you shake them.
Good morning, that would be something fun to try and grow. Maybe I will try planting some when we move to the country in Michigan. What did you do with the ones you grew? Did you make bath sponges out of them?

“That's all folks...”

Since: Jan 12

Paradise North Georgia

#14154 Jun 1, 2013
The Real Missy wrote:
<quoted text>
Good morning, that would be something fun to try and grow. Maybe I will try planting some when we move to the country in Michigan. What did you do with the ones you grew? Did you make bath sponges out of them?
Missy~~
There's no harm in trying.
Back when I wasn't having a problem with my back, etc.
I used to try something different every season.
One year I grew some amazing, Moon Flowers.
We have a Farmers Bulletin here in Georgia and that's
where I find some interesting seeds.

I still have a few that are dried and intact.
Kids think they're neat, especially with the seeds making
"music" when they shake them.

“FOOTBALL”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#14155 Jun 1, 2013
Has anyone heard from Mousie yet?

“FOOTBALL”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#14156 Jun 1, 2013
That link wouldn't work for me. Did it mention that the dandelions were a good source of iron?

If your husband likes salads I bet he'd like the dandelions.
The Real Missy wrote:
<quoted text>
I almost have my husband talked in to trying the dandelions..he is all about health and I Found a article about the health benefits of them.

“FOOTBALL”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#14157 Jun 1, 2013
Oh shiit..........Noah;s been after me all day to sign him up for a road test. My only saving grace is that I'm sure he'd fail unless the person giving the test is blind AND a dingwing.

“FOOTBALL”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#14158 Jun 1, 2013
Back then I'm sure many family's ate whatever was cheap or readily available to them. Back during the days of slavery many of the slaves ate greens and just whatever their owners thought of as useless scraps of meat like ribs and wings. Look how popular all that food is now.
Spooky Mulder wrote:
<quoted text>
She just called them "greens". She had eight kids during the Depression. I think people learn to eat things that they never thought they would before. Fortunately, we had a lot of relatives that were farmers, so the kids got shipped off to live on farms. Of course, they had to help work the farm.

“That's all folks...”

Since: Jan 12

Paradise North Georgia

#14159 Jun 1, 2013
LizW wrote:
Has anyone heard from Mousie yet?
I don't think Mousie has posted for the past few days.
I think everyone in her neck of the woods are very nervous
about those killer storms that don't seem to be letting up.

I'm sure she's safe and will check in as soon as she can.
Mousie knows we worry about her and Shuaw, too.

Since: Sep 11

Weeki Wachee, Florida

#14160 Jun 1, 2013
It's finally raining here. Of course, it started right after I had spent an hour watering the container gardens. Just like an Indian raindance. The poor dogs are going stir crazy.
How's everybody doing this fine weekend?

“FOOTBALL”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#14161 Jun 2, 2013
Good Morning All

The rain headed here again last night. We had some pretty heavy downpours.

Most of the weekend I've been spending cleaning out closets. They should stay nice and organized for at least another week or so before the kids trash them again.

Did anyone see where Joran Vander Slooten is planning to get married in prison? Some girl out there must be pretty damn desperate.

“My new smile is beautiful:)”

Since: Mar 13

Akron, OH

#14162 Jun 2, 2013
LizW wrote:
Good Morning All
The rain headed here again last night. We had some pretty heavy downpours.
Most of the weekend I've been spending cleaning out closets. They should stay nice and organized for at least another week or so before the kids trash them again.
Did anyone see where Joran Vander Slooten is planning to get married in prison? Some girl out there must be pretty damn desperate.
When did he ask you, tell us the details?

“That's all folks...”

Since: Jan 12

Paradise North Georgia

#14163 Jun 2, 2013
Spooky Mulder wrote:
It's finally raining here. Of course, it started right after I had spent an hour watering the container gardens. Just like an Indian raindance. The poor dogs are going stir crazy.
How's everybody doing this fine weekend?
It's a sure bet it will rain after I wash my car...

“That's all folks...”

Since: Jan 12

Paradise North Georgia

#14164 Jun 2, 2013
LizW wrote:
Good Morning All
The rain headed here again last night. We had some pretty heavy downpours.
Most of the weekend I've been spending cleaning out closets. They should stay nice and organized for at least another week or so before the kids trash them again.
Did anyone see where Joran Vander Slooten is planning to get married in prison? Some girl out there must be pretty damn desperate.
JVS~~
He better make hay while the sun is still shining.
There's a very good chance he will be killed in that hell hole
prison.
How sad that Natalie's parent's never got to bring her home for
burial.

“That's all folks...”

Since: Jan 12

Paradise North Georgia

#14165 Jun 2, 2013
Just wanted to leave a hello for
Tribe, Mousie and Shauw~~
Please let us know how ya'll are doing when
you get the chance.

“Where the heck am I?”

Since: Sep 08

Twighlight Zone

#14166 Jun 2, 2013
rubygoober wrote:
Just wanted to leave a hello for
Tribe, Mousie and Shauw~~
Please let us know how ya'll are doing when
you get the chance.
Hi Ruby! I'm hanging in there, some days are still a bit rough, but I am a strong person so things will be ok. I just emailed Mousie, hope I hear something back from her soon. I have not even opened topix until today since the last post I made soooo am now just learning some things. I don't know what to say other than Thank you for your concern and thanks to Cov too.
Snickers101

Dallas, TX

#14167 Jun 2, 2013
The Real Missy wrote:
Okay, my husband just informed me that I have about a dozen loofa sponges in the bathroom. Lmao!
Does the green tomato man down the street grow them?? LMAO!!! I wonder why you have so many..........
Snickers101

Dallas, TX

#14168 Jun 2, 2013
rubygoober wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a sure bet it will rain after I wash my car...
Me too,but the window's r so much better ;)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pine Hills Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min John Galt 1,421,378
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 6 min OzRitz 61,105
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 3 hr ImaginaryFriend 73,696
Need advise 7 hr Sarah 1
Chris Powell Editor Journal Inquirer investigat... 17 hr Beachlver 1
loan shark (Dec '11) Tue spotcred 34
News The Methodist Church May Split Over LGBT Issues... Tue Gov Corbutt of th... 3

Pine Hills Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pine Hills Mortgages