Man charged in pool-cue stabbing death

Full story: CW Arkansas 23
Prosecutors have charged a man in Pine Bluff with first-degree murder for the death of a man who was stabbed in the left eye with a pool cue that broke off after becoming lodged in his head. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
QUEEN SELF DEFENSE

Mount Pleasant, TX

#1 Dec 29, 2007
TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO JUST WANT TO SAY SOMETHING THEY SHOULD KEEP THEIR MOUTH SHUT IF THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPEND. IF YOU'LL HAD 4(FOUR)GUYS JUMP TO YOU AN HAD TO FIGHT YOUR WAY OUT TO GET AWAY YOU'LL DO WHAT IT TAKES TO PROTECT (DEFEND) YOURSELF TO GET THEM OFF YOU SO YOU CAN GET AWAY. WHAT WOULD YOU DO TO PROTECT (DEFEND) YOURSELF?
QUEEN SELF DEFENSE

Mount Pleasant, TX

#2 Dec 29, 2007
TO THE PERSON THAT SAID THAT DANIEL WOULD DO ANYTHING FOR $20.00 DOLLARS YOU MUST BE MAD THAT HE WOULD'NT f*** WITH YOU FOR $20.00 DOLLARS. IF YOU KNEW DANIEL YOU WOULD KNOW THAT HE WOULD NOT HURT ANYBODY UNLESS SOMEBODY WAS TRING TO HURT HIM. LIKE THE STABBING INDENCIENT IN 2003. THAT GUY WAS BETTING THE HELL OUT OF DANIEL AND SWOLL HIS FACE UP THAT WAS A MISTAKE HE MADE BUT HE LEARNED FROM THAT . BUT AT THIS TIME HE WAS IN A TIGHT SPOT LIKE A MOUSE IN A MAZE AN TO DEFEND HIS SELF HE HAD TO FIGHT HIS WAY OUT.
Ms Zulu

United States

#3 Jan 1, 2008
This was a tragic incident. My sympathy goes out to all those involved. However, the REAL story was NOT told in the media. First, there was NO mention of the fact that the victim, Dannell Ashley reportedly instigated, provoked, threatened, and even threw beer on the suspect, Daniel Broom just moments prior to his death. Reportedly Broom, the suspect accidentially bumped into the victim, while he was shooting pool. Broom repeatedly appologized, telling Ashley that he was sorry, and that he didn't mean any harm... however Ashley, along with his brothers and other buddies backing him up took it to another level, and refused to accept Broom's apology. Ashley began cursing and threatening Broom, literally backing him into a corner, alone, with the pool stick in his hand ( he was shooting pool), and slung beer from a can all over Broom. At that point the club's Security realized that a fight was about to occur, and began spraying Ashley and his brothers with a very heavy load of mace, in an attempt to defuse the situation. Ashley and his group charged Broom in the midst of all the OVER-SPRAYING of mace, when the mace cleared, Ashley was lying on the floor with the pool stick in his eye. Also the media did not mention that Ashley was a murderer himself, and had spent several years in prison. Reportedly, Ashley shot and killed an innocent young man, in a night club some years ago. That young man was the only son of one of our local attorneys here in Pine Bluff. IT seems that it was a "case of mistaken identity"! Ashley, reported INTENDED to kill another young man, and mistakenly thought the young man that he did kill was his intended victim. He was DEAD wrong!! Either way a life was taken, by Ashley. "If you life by the sword, you shall die by the sword". Yes, Broom had a previous "run-in with the law", however, it was NOT told that he was being very badly beaten at the time, and in order to keep from being killed, and finally defended himself, by cutting the guy. Why do you think he only got 5 years PROBATION??? IF Broom had maliciously, and intentionally just attacked and cut an innocent person back then, he would certainly have been put in prison... HELLO PEOPLE, this is Arkansas where the system certainly does not mind putting young black men in prison!! Broom was NOT sent to prison for defending himself, but Ashley was sent to prison for murdering an innocent young man... he just didn't stay long enough and did not learn his lesson, or change his old violent habits. No one deserves to die the way Ashley did, but when did this become a country where we are NOT allowed to defend ourselves from such violent attacks. Broom should NEVER have been CHARGED!! If you were back into a corner by several hostile guys, threatened, and had beer thrown on you, WHAT WOULD YOU DO???? Walk a mile in Broom's shoes, he is as much a VICTIM as Ashley in this particular situation.
Mel

Pine Bluff, AR

#4 Jan 27, 2008
Ashley did not kill another young man. Yes he was with someone that killed somebody but he didn't kill him and it wasn't and a night club. If somebody killed your daddy or brother or someone that was kin to you, no matter what the circumstance is, do you think nothing should happen to that person. He should have ran or something. He might would be considered a punk but who cares. Somebody lost they son, they daddy, they brother and they friend. No matter what the situation is, you shouldn't have the authority to take someone's life. Even if he did take someone else's life, which Dannell didn't. A person's punishment should be left up to God.
TRUTH SPEAKS

United States

#5 Feb 23, 2008
DANNELL ASHLEY DID NOT KILL ANYBODY!!!! GET THE INFORMATION CORRECT BEFORE MAKING A COMMENT!!! HE WAE ALWAYS KNOWN AS THE PEACE MAKER. HE WAS A FAMILY MAN. NOW HERRE YOU HAVE A MAN KNOWN FOR STABBING AND HAS NOT LEARN HIS LESSON BECAUSE HE STABBED ANOTHER MAN AND ALSO IN THE PROCESS TOOK HIS LIFE! HE TOOK AWAY A SMALL CHILD'S FARTHER SOMEONE SON, BROTHER AND BEST FRIENR. DANNELL WAS LOVED BY MANY PEOPLE. NOBODY KNOWS WHAT REALLY HAPPENED BUT THE TWO OF THE AND THE GOOD LORD. WE WILL NEVER HERE THE TRUTH ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED. BUT I KNOW FOR SURE WHEN YOU TAKE A LIFE YOU WILL BE PUNISHED IN THE EYES OF THE COURTS. NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS IT WILL NOT BRING BACK DANNELL PEACE MAKER ASHLEY!
BACKWOODS

Pine Bluff, AR

#6 Feb 24, 2008
SOME PEOPLE TALK LIKE THEY NO MR.ASHLEY BUT THEY DONT.SEE FIRST OFF DANNELL DIDNT GET LOCK UP FOR KILLING ANYONE.RITE TO WHATS REALLY GOING ON.BROOM TOOK THA LIFE OF A REAL MAN,A MAN THAT NEVER DID NOTHING TO ANYONE HE WAS THA PEACE MAKER NEVER GOT INTO IT WITHANYONE IN THA CLUB. BROOM WAS JUST A MAD MAN THAT TOOK DEMAN LIFE. THEN PEOPLE TALKIN BOUT 4 GUYS BEAT BROOM UP, HELL NO THAT AINT TRU.BROOM GOT MAD BOUT A POOL GAME AND TOOK IT OUT ON DEMAN BY KILLING HIM. IF 4 GUYS BEAT BROOM HOW COULD HE GET AWAY, BUT ANY, BROOM 2 U AND UR FAMILY U TOOK THA LIFE OF MY BRO AND THA SOUL OF MINE AINT NO WAY U WILL GET AWAY WITH THIS ONE, THAT ON MY LIFE CUZ THATS WHAT YOU TOOK AWAY FROM ME, MY LIFE,YOU HURT MY FAMILY LIFE AWAY. SO TO THA PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT DONT KNOW THEY IS TALKING BOUT, SOMETIMES ITS BEST TO LEAVE THING YOU DONT KNOW ALONG.TALK ONLY ON WHAT YOU REALLY KNOW.
BACKWOODS

Pine Bluff, AR

#7 Feb 24, 2008
PEOPLE ON HERE TALKIN REAL BAD BOUT MY BRO AND REALLY DONT KNOW WHAT THA HELL WENT ON IN THAT CLUB.LIKE I SAID ITS GOOD TO SOMETIMES LEAVE THINGS YOU DONT KNOW ALONG. CUZ IT LOOKS TO ME U DONT KNOW NOTHING BOUT MR.ASHLEY CUZ HE WAS NOT LOCK UP FOR KILLIN ANYONE. AND NOONE JUMPON BROOM UNTIL THEY SEEN ASHLEY LAYIN ON THA FLOOR SO THAT TALK ABOVE IS A LIE AND NOTHING BOUT IT WAS TRU .SO BROOM U TOOK A LIFE FOR NOTHING.BUT U WILL SEE IT AGAIN.
Robhawg

Alexander, AR

#8 Feb 26, 2008
What is this a Mexican chat room? No spelling broken English bullshit! Pretty evident no one passed the 9th grade here! Press one for english, 2 for spanish and 3 for podunk black talk!
Right side

AOL

#9 Mar 4, 2008
My heart goes out to the family of Mr. Ashley. I understand your pain. Someone I love was killed in a nightclub. I pray that God eases your pain and takes away your vengeance mentality. Some of the things that are written can be considered as threatening. Youg men, take it easy. Vengeance is mine said the Lord.
TRUTH SPEAKS

Benton, AR

#10 Mar 9, 2008
Ms Zulu wrote:
This was a tragic incident. My sympathy goes out to all those involved. However, the REAL story was NOT told in the media. First, there was NO mention of the fact that the victim, Dannell Ashley reportedly instigated, provoked, threatened, and even threw beer on the suspect, Daniel Broom just moments prior to his death. Reportedly Broom, the suspect accidentially bumped into the victim, while he was shooting pool. Broom repeatedly appologized, telling Ashley that he was sorry, and that he didn't mean any harm... however Ashley, along with his brothers and other buddies backing him up took it to another level, and refused to accept Broom's apology. Ashley began cursing and threatening Broom, literally backing him into a corner, alone, with the pool stick in his hand ( he was shooting pool), and slung beer from a can all over Broom. At that point the club's Security realized that a fight was about to occur, and began spraying Ashley and his brothers with a very heavy load of mace, in an attempt to defuse the situation. Ashley and his group charged Broom in the midst of all the OVER-SPRAYING of mace, when the mace cleared, Ashley was lying on the floor with the pool stick in his eye. Also the media did not mention that Ashley was a murderer himself, and had spent several years in prison. Reportedly, Ashley shot and killed an innocent young man, in a night club some years ago. That young man was the only son of one of our local attorneys here in Pine Bluff. IT seems that it was a "case of mistaken identity"! Ashley, reported INTENDED to kill another young man, and mistakenly thought the young man that he did kill was his intended victim. He was DEAD wrong!! Either way a life was taken, by Ashley. "If you life by the sword, you shall die by the sword". Yes, Broom had a previous "run-in with the law", however, it was NOT told that he was being very badly beaten at the time, and in order to keep from being killed, and finally defended himself, by cutting the guy. Why do you think he only got 5 years PROBATION??? IF Broom had maliciously, and intentionally just attacked and cut an innocent person back then, he would certainly have been put in prison... HELLO PEOPLE, this is Arkansas where the system certainly does not mind putting young black men in prison!! Broom was NOT sent to prison for defending himself, but Ashley was sent to prison for murdering an innocent young man... he just didn't stay long enough and did not learn his lesson, or change his old violent habits. No one deserves to die the way Ashley did, but when did this become a country where we are NOT allowed to defend ourselves from such violent attacks. Broom should NEVER have been CHARGED!! If you were back into a corner by several hostile guys, threatened, and had beer thrown on you, WHAT WOULD YOU DO???? Walk a mile in Broom's shoes, he is as much a VICTIM as Ashley in this particular situation.
when making a comment PLEASE be sure that you get your information correct! Everything that you said about Dannell Ashley is not true! So you need to go back and check your sources!
bird

Pine Bluff, AR

#11 Mar 27, 2008
backwoods u r the shi- ashley was my homy we went to school together at d-way you know anyone who went to d-way is capable of any thing so why they acting like he is just a bad person dont judge another man unless you know him botomline that could have been anybody from the hood it just happened to be him rip dog we love ya co94
Boss Mackalini

Lynnwood, WA

#12 Apr 18, 2008
D-Man was my cousin, I miss him dearly, and so does the rest of his family, to the people on this site leaving negative comments about my kinfolk, you should stop, let him rest in peace, I drove over 2500 miles for his funeral, and i will drive another 2500 miles if you dont show some respect, you wouldnt want your family to go through what mine went through, it is a small world, and people can get touched...B.O.$.$.
TRUTH SPEAKS

United States

#13 Apr 21, 2008
Me and Dannell had been together for 4 1/2 years. And had a beauitful daughator who is 3 yrs. old It's very hard trying to explain to our child where her daddy is. It hurts deeply that he is not around physically anymore. He was a very good family man. Any time you needed him to do something for you he was always there! This was the year we were suppose to be getting married. What Daniel Broom did to him was not necessary. I hope and pray to the man above the justice will be served that Mr. Broom get the max anount of time. So he can sit and think about how he hurt us by taking away my husband. My child's farther. Dannell will not be there for all the things in her life. Daniel has hurt this family very deeply. I will be at every court hearing to witness that justice be served!
sagal

London, UK

#14 Apr 25, 2008
what is black death? do you now
DSMOKE

Dayton, OH

#15 Apr 30, 2008
THAT JUST HOW IT GOES IN PB.I LIVED THERE ALL MY LIFE, ITS CRAZY AND IT JUST SEEMS THAT NOBODY CARES ABOUT NOTHING ANYMORE
sandra

AOL

#16 May 3, 2008
sagal wrote:
what is black death? do you now
was the two men fighting black i was reading the story from indiana
LiveByIT

Pine Bluff, AR

#17 May 6, 2008
Boss Mackalini wrote:
D-Man was my cousin, I miss him dearly, and so does the rest of his family, to the people on this site leaving negative comments about my kinfolk, you should stop, let him rest in peace, I drove over 2500 miles for his funeral, and i will drive another 2500 miles if you dont show some respect, you wouldnt want your family to go through what mine went through, it is a small world, and people can get touched...B.O.$.$.
He is in the ground because of his poor chices in life.

From your comments that seems to be a pattern in your family.

Sorry, for your loss. Maybe you should be a man and end the cycle instead of joining your kinfolk.
Right side

AOL

#18 Jun 27, 2008
sandra wrote:
<quoted text> was the two men fighting black i was reading the story from indiana
yes, the two young men involved in the tradgedy were black
BOSS Mackalini

Lynnwood, WA

#19 Jun 29, 2008
LiveByIT wrote:
<quoted text>
He is in the ground because of his poor chices in life.
From your comments that seems to be a pattern in your family.
Sorry, for your loss. Maybe you should be a man and end the cycle instead of joining your kinfolk.
First of all, the word is choices, not chices, and it seem as if you are the only one making bad choices, by speaking on my name, my cousin died because Daniel stepped on his shoe, that was a bad choice, by Daniel not apologizing for his action's, that was a bad choice also, my KINFOLK is in heaven now, that was GOD'S choice, Secondly you shouldn't be talking about my family like that, don't forget we all die some day, and yes even you too will be in the "ground", but since you are so perfect, you are probably gonna have a perfect judgment day too, huh! People like you are funny, and i don't take you serious, quit judging people, or you will be judged. B.O.$.$.
mslittlerock

West Helena, AR

#20 Jul 10, 2008
Stop it! The whole point here is another black man is DEAD! And its old and has caused a catastrophe in Black AMerica. I don't care if your in a crime riddled big city like Chicago or a little small grimey gutterbutt crime hole like Pine Bluff. This black on black violence went too far 20 years ago! Black men need to get it together, and black families need to get stronger and get their priorities straight.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pine Bluff Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where the hookers at? Fri Chris Oneal 1
Debate: Marijuana - Pine Bluff, AR (Aug '10) Fri tina 10
Nikki goodnight Dec 16 bb tj 17
Nation's 3rd-poorest city is Pine Bluff, Ark., ... (Nov '09) Dec 11 moogman 52
Inmate Sues Ark. Dept. Of Community Correction ... (May '08) Dec 10 Get real 29
Looking dancers for bachelor party Dec 5 Thrasher 1
Casey Reed & Stephanie Bolls Dec 1 Anonymous 4
Pine Bluff Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Pine Bluff People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Pine Bluff News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Pine Bluff

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:16 pm PST

NBC Sports 3:16PM
DeMarco Murray is determined to play
Bleacher Report 9:00 AM
Start 'Em, Sit 'Em Week 16: Debating Difficult Fantasy Football Lineup Decisions
NFL11:56 AM
DeMarco Murray plans to play for Cowboys vs. Colts
Bleacher Report11:56 AM
Eagles vs. Redskins: Live Score and Analysis for Philadelphia
Yahoo! Sports 5:54 PM
Eagles playoff hopes suffer with loss to Redskins