Pine Bluff ...... then and now

Posted in the Pine Bluff Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Osama Bin Laden

United States

#1 Nov 18, 2007
As I look back at the years gone by and how things have changed so much in and around PB , I can't help but wonder what my children and their children will have to contend with if they stay in PB.

When I was 13 , I delivered the Pine Bluff Commercial from a bicycle. Sat and Sun I was peddling the news at 4 in the morning without a care thru what are now some of the most dangerous streets in Pine Bluff.

Lake Pine Bluff was the favorite fishing hole.

The old boys club was the hang-out for teens of my age with swimming and baseball for anyone that wanted to participate.

Teen-Town was the " Hot Spot " to meet girls.

Sears was on 6th St. where it should have stayed.

On nice summer days Central Park was filled with families picnicking and weekend footballers.

The Majic Carpet Slide ( now at Eden Park ) was at 22nd & Olive and a slide down was $ 1.00.

T G & Y was at Jefferson Square.

Jimmy Duke's Barber shop on Main St. " scalped " me and my brothers usually twice a month.

Bobby Brown, Pipkin Pack , Lloyd Parsley, John Galloway were some of the cops that kept you on the straight and narrow........or else !

A walk to school was from 22nd & Olive St. to Southeast Jr. High on Ohio St., then back. Everyday, rain or shine.

If you owned a car, you were old.....to kids of my age anyway.

If you and another at school had different opinions about something, you met after school and worked them out. Today, though.!!!!!!!!!

I can't help but look back and reflect on days gone by and how fast they went and just how good things really were back then.

The youth of today can't appreciate just how good life in Pine Bluff was 30 years ago. Given the chance to start life all over either then or now that would be a no-brainer. Give me the simple life.

I 46 now and have lived in PB all my life. I Love it and I hate it here. We want to leave and may some day but regardless , Pine Bluff will always be home.

What's in the future for PB and where do you see this city in 20 years ?

Anubis

Little Rock, AR

#2 Nov 22, 2007
Not too bright.

Several children have gone missing and been assaulted in Pine Bluff.

However Nataliee Holloway coverage dominates Pine Bluff news when she didnt attend school or stay here.

I wish her mother would shine light on this fact on her visits.

Take care of your own PINE BLUFF.
joe

Pine Bluff, AR

#3 Feb 14, 2008
I have lived in Pinebluff for about 9 years now. Simular sentiments have been expressed by others in the same vain as the individual from Tyler, Tx. As a whole though it seems most of the citizens of Pine Bluff fail to acknowledge the depravation of the town. They often make excuses such as " You have crime everywhere." While that may be true, it serves no purpose to ignore the level of crime in the Bluff compared to other cities. Question: 1. There is a church on every just about every corner of the city. If you have so many "righteous" people in the city, why the crime? If people supposedly stand up for whats right, how come the town is in the shape its in? The individuals of yesteryear obviously didn't "take a bite out of crime". Due to political correctness people are afraid to stand up today. What about Biblical correctness? Open your eyes. Being a Christian dosent mean being a dormat despite what some may think. I could go own and own but I won't. I think I will leave it at that. Now it's time for some liberal knothead who claims to be "open minded" and wants to preach "the love everybody" message to respond.
pimpslap

Pine Bluff, AR

#4 Mar 5, 2008
joe wrote:
I have lived in Pinebluff for about 9 years now. Simular sentiments have been expressed by others in the same vain as the individual from Tyler, Tx. As a whole though it seems most of the citizens of Pine Bluff fail to acknowledge the depravation of the town. They often make excuses such as " You have crime everywhere." While that may be true, it serves no purpose to ignore the level of crime in the Bluff compared to other cities. Question: 1. There is a church on every just about every corner of the city. If you have so many "righteous" people in the city, why the crime? If people supposedly stand up for whats right, how come the town is in the shape its in? The individuals of yesteryear obviously didn't "take a bite out of crime". Due to political correctness people are afraid to stand up today. What about Biblical correctness? Open your eyes. Being a Christian dosent mean being a dormat despite what some may think. I could go own and own but I won't. I think I will leave it at that. Now it's time for some liberal knothead who claims to be "open minded" and wants to preach "the love everybody" message to respond.
You are absolutely correct. Public officials ignore the fact that Pine Bluff is a nasty , dirty , dangerous place now and 20 years from now it won't be fit to live in.
I've lived here most of my life and I've watched the nicer neighborhoods transform into dumping grounds. Crime is rampant and has become an everyday part of life here.
Residents seek the shelter of their homes at nightfall. Shootings , stabbings , thefts, rapes, murders, and on and on.
This has become the.....pardon the term..but the ash$#le of the South. People avoid Pine Bluff because of the thugs, gangs, panhandlers and crime.
Pine Bluff deserves the title of the 3rd most dangerous city in the nation. Or , as I refer to it " Little Chicago ".
The officials spend too much time on BS that does nothing for the betterment of the city. Every issue is white vs. black.
I'm not racist by no means but I'm not blind either. I see the discrimination. Everybody here does. It's not Pine Bluff Loves People anymore. It's Pine Bluff Loves Black People.
20 years from now Pine Bluff will more than likely be the nations prison. Who knows ?
It's wasn't my intention to offend anybody but that's just how it is.
Zebra80nowinLR

Little Rock, AR

#5 Mar 6, 2008
I grew up in P.B. but have now lived away longer than lived in. IMO the city started it's downhill slide when Merrill was closed and Southeast was made into an all 7th grade, leaving Dial and Belair as the only Jr. High schools.I was moved from Southeast to Belair which I enjoyed but I believe it would eventually lead to ALL kids going(most being BUSED) to ONE(Robey)Jr. High School some 10 or so years later. I believe people started to look elsewhere to raise their kids.
I'm pretty sure that there are now less than 20 white kids in PBHS. There are a lot of former PB residents now in LR and its always in a joking manner when you come into contact with one: "you been to PB lately"? "no,not if I don't have to".
What I've read from others above is all correct. I remember walking to the Boys Club everyday. I was pretty much raised there. My parents don't realize the child care costs that place saved them.Derwoods(who just retired),Little league,Babe Ruth,Legion Baseball,Zebra FB, Baseball,Eden Park(I actually took my kids there last summer.)I remember the slide,but we never had to pay to go down it-see above.
Pine Bluff was a fine city but unless the "new powers that be " get their heads "out" and attract some sort of industry(not just another chicken processing plant)the city will eventually fall below 50,000 and if the Papermill closes....
I will say that if LR didn't have so many good PRIVATE schools it might be in the same condition as PB...sort of.The LR school board is trying their best to drive white students either to private schools or out of LR altogether. nuff said.....
hah

Pine Bluff, AR

#6 Mar 6, 2008
ha
Osama

United States

#7 Mar 7, 2008
Zebra80nowinLR wrote:
I grew up in P.B. but have now lived away longer than lived in. IMO the city started it's downhill slide when Merrill was closed and Southeast was made into an all 7th grade, leaving Dial and Belair as the only Jr. High schools.I was moved from Southeast to Belair which I enjoyed but I believe it would eventually lead to ALL kids going(most being BUSED) to ONE(Robey)Jr. High School some 10 or so years later. I believe people started to look elsewhere to raise their kids.
I'm pretty sure that there are now less than 20 white kids in PBHS. There are a lot of former PB residents now in LR and its always in a joking manner when you come into contact with one: "you been to PB lately"? "no,not if I don't have to".
What I've read from others above is all correct. I remember walking to the Boys Club everyday. I was pretty much raised there. My parents don't realize the child care costs that place saved them.Derwoods(who just retired),Little league,Babe Ruth,Legion Baseball,Zebra FB, Baseball,Eden Park(I actually took my kids there last summer.)I remember the slide,but we never had to pay to go down it-see above.
Pine Bluff was a fine city but unless the "new powers that be " get their heads "out" and attract some sort of industry(not just another chicken processing plant)the city will eventually fall below 50,000 and if the Papermill closes....
I will say that if LR didn't have so many good PRIVATE schools it might be in the same condition as PB...sort of.The LR school board is trying their best to drive white students either to private schools or out of LR altogether. nuff said.....
Without saying any names on the net. I bet you and I know each other. I'm a Zebra C/O '79.
Are your initals K.T.?
80grad

Willis, TX

#8 Apr 17, 2008
I was born at Jefferson Hospital and lived in PB until I was 18. Cheered for the Edgewood Eagles at the Boy's Club, and saw Herbie the Love Bug at the Saenger before it closed. Skated at 8 wheels, rode my bike to Eden Park, and went up and down Cherry Street every Sunday afternoon. It was home.

My husband and I tried living there later on in the late 80s, but there were no jobs even then. My daughter has only been there to visit Ralph Robinson's for three family funerals and the place looked so frightening to her she has no desire to ever visit again.

PB is the saddest place I can think of -- all those beautiful houses and churches... I really feel like I don't have a hometown anymore.
Osama

Pine Bluff, AR

#9 Apr 19, 2008
Girl, do you know how many memories you just brought back ? I practically lived at the old Boys Club with Bud Isom in charge ( If you remember him, he's still living , Davis Care Center on Hazel St.), I rode a bike 6 miles to Lake Pine Bluff to fish, snuck into Eden Park 3,871 times. Burned $12,000,000.00 in gas on Cherry St.. I was always happy to do my part at the Linwood Beach keg parties and saw Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry at the Seanger and Jaws at the Malco.
I've watched this town go from a decent place to live to "Lockyurdoor, USA.. Really sad. I can't imagine 30 years from now.
Probably look like Iraq.
ZebranowinLR

United States

#10 Apr 25, 2008
Osama wrote:
<quoted text>
Without saying any names on the net. I bet you and I know each other. I'm a Zebra C/O '79.
Are your initals K.T.?
no, you're WAY older than me. I graduated in'80. just kiddin. and no my initials are not KT. If you spent a lot of time at the Boys Club there is a good chance we know each other.
JT the Brick

Little Rock, AR

#11 Jun 3, 2008
Some of you are sad.I was born at JRMC.I am from PB. I remember alot of that stuff. Not the Boys and Girls Club. I lived at the Seabrook YMCA.I played football for the Z's Football team 10th through 12th grade. Race does play a huge part in this problem. Yes I am white. But rhe most important color is green(money). It seems to me that the decline started when the schools started to intergrate. Rather than intergrate some folks stated these private schools,(Watson Chapel Prep and Jefferson Prep)that didn't pan out because of finace problems. And that's when the WHITE FLIGHT took of in Pine Bluff. Lets face it, Not because we are better but the whites had most of the resources in town and when they started to move out they took there money with them. And Logiclly, when there is no jobs crime rises no matter what color the people are. Look at Gary,Ind. Flint, Mi. and Youngstown, OH. No money, No Jobs, High Crime Rate. Us leaving was the biggest problem!!!!!! Just Bought A Home There.......I Want to be apart of the change. DON'T TALK ABOUT IT BE ABOUT IT.
mr_understood

Pine Bluff, AR

#12 Jun 25, 2008
ZebranowinLR wrote:
<quoted text>
no, you're WAY older than me. I graduated in'80. just kiddin. and no my initials are not KT. If you spent a lot of time at the Boys Club there is a good chance we know each other.
I practically lived at the Boys Club.
Swimmin' at the Boys Training School with Mr. Bud, baseball , the woodshop , all of it. That's what we did then.

Where have the years gone ?

If you remember Bud , you should stop in at Davis Life Center, West Campus on Hazel St. and pay him a visit. He recognized me and it's been over 30 years since I saw him last. He's in good health , just kinda disabled after a stroke. He's be glad to see ya.
Puggy

Plano, TX

#13 Jun 29, 2008
Well, I grew up there in the Bluff. I grew up on the "poor side" of town in the fairgrounds area. Graduated from Dollarway in '86. Moved to Dallas in '88 and been here since. My folks moved out across from White Hall High about 15 years ago. When I go in to visit, that's where I stay. Honestly. My fiance and I went home to visit last summer on my motorcycle. We rode over to the fairgrounds to show her where I grew up and man, what a shithole that place is now. My folks were here visiting this weekend and told me that there was a murder (brother killed his brother) in our old nextdoor neighbor's house. When my brother found out we had rode my bike in that area he asked me if I was packing or just plain crazy? It's sad. I really enjoyed growing up there, but now, I'm there 24 hours and I'm ready to haul butt out.
PB native

Memphis, TN

#14 Aug 6, 2008
Well, here's my 2 cent's worth. I lived in PB untill I was 30, I am 41 now. I remember crusing cherry street on weekend's, swimming at "Butram's" and playing video games at the electric cowboy. I remember when we use to have to wait on the train to pass at West 28th street before the over-pass was built. I can smell the Plate Lunch's from Arnold's being cooked. I also remember riding my bike to Gabe Myer(sp) for school, locking our bike's up on the rack, playing tether-ball,dodge ball and saying the pledge of allegance in class, milk was 10 cent's and Prayer was said before every morning started.I can also remember when there was a car wash where 'Andy's" is now, the county market was nothing but dirt hills and a play ground for us kid's. John Noah's was a regular stop on sunday after church, Watson Chapel use to be "out of town". The old Stewart's hardware store on the corner right across from the Burger Chef on 28th.Going to the "Pine's" to watch a movie at the drive-in theater. also, watching the movie "Jaws" at the Malco. Those we some of the better day's gone by, now, I live in Northeast Arkansas and have a child of my own. I left with only (2) regret's, my mother and step dad still live there and I miss the Arkansas river tremendously.
PB is a dying town, poverty breed's hostility and crime. Unless somekind of major industry locate's to PB with-in the next few year's, PB's outlook is grim. The leadership is not with vision but, with individual gains being it's main focus. There is so much strife between Black's & White's that I don't know if it will ever regain it's balance to be productive. In all fairness, I have had the privalige of knowing some very fine people their, Black's and white's.
To be totally honest, I do not care one bit about returning to PB. I never had anywhere to compair it to until I moved and then you really see PB for what it is or isn't. I don't want to end this with a negative tone so, hopefully someday PB will regain it's composure and be an area that will retain people instead of repelling them.
whitetailhunter7 6

White Hall, AR

#15 Aug 8, 2008
I was born and raised in PB. I grew up out in WC area, attended and graduated from WC. I still visit PB daily (b/c of my mom), but have opted to move to Grant County. I am one of the lucky few and have a great job that I enjoy. I went to the old Ford home over by PBHS a few weeks back and was totally amazed. Hopefully the guy who purchased it is able to restore it. It is prob 90% original. You can look at that home and see that PB was once a very lively and prosperous city. But now, one trip down Cherry late on Sat night / Sun morning and you will see the true PB. Look at Cypress Circle, the Fairgrounds area,even Broadmoor area is going downhill. Apprx 2 years ago, I got a call about 2-3 AM asking me to come to 10th and Cypress. An elderly white lady (prob to poor to move and wouldnt get anything if she had sold her house) was broken in on, robbed, beat and the house was set on fire. I'll give you on hint.... It wasnt white kids.
But all that has changed due to the "white flight". It is sad, but I am one of them. I work in Pine Bluff and Grant County. I see more and more people moving everyday.
Why? 1)Sheridan is people friendly town. 2)Location - HS and LR is within 1 hr drive. 3) Attitude - Shop Wal-Mart and you will notice the difference. 4)Education - The teachers still teach, not just give a grade and move them on.
These are just a few of the examples.
I could type more, but there is just no reason to reitterate what other people have said. I must agree with everyones comments.
I still work, live and see everything that goes on in PB, and I must say, that it will NOT get better. If you think it will, please wake up.
Platinumstar

White Hall, AR

#16 Aug 16, 2008
You know the best thing that happened to Pine Bluff is that all the White racists left Pine Bluff. Good riddance.
lol

Quitman, AR

#17 Aug 20, 2008
man just like i tell people, the blacks don't care about there town thats why it looks like it does..lol go in a white neighborhood look at the houses then the black neighborhood they don't put any money in their houses... the best thing to do is get out of there while you are still alive... too many blacks over there they shouldn't have ever let them move into town.. they should've done like sheridan and kept they asses on the pike then you could go to town and not worry about being robbed.. pine bluff could be a good town but until blacks start to realize that they have to work and get of government welfare it will always look like that.. but really we just need a katrina to happen over there and clean that town up.lol cause we all know that they wouldn't leave cause they ain't got enough sense tooo...
lol

Quitman, AR

#18 Aug 20, 2008
or we could issue all 17 year old black males a hand gun then they would take care of themselves with all the childish gang activities. but we really can't blame them though its the sorry ass parents, or excuse me to here them it would be the presidents fault... lol black people grow up stop looking for a handout!! get a job and pay taxes like the rest of us...
WCHS1970

Rockford, IL

#19 Jun 16, 2009
Platinumstar wrote:
You know the best thing that happened to Pine Bluff is that all the White racists left Pine Bluff. Good riddance.
Yep...now the blacks can have what is left...if they do not kill each other first.
WCHS1970

Rockford, IL

#20 Jun 17, 2009
lol wrote:
or we could issue all 17 year old black males a hand gun then they would take care of themselves with all the childish gang activities. but we really can't blame them though its the sorry ass parents, or excuse me to here them it would be the presidents fault... lol black people grow up stop looking for a handout!! get a job and pay taxes like the rest of us...
WELL SAID!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pine Bluff Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Carol medlock (Apr '14) Tue whatever 9
Is pine bluff really as bad as people made it s... Jul 10 Arboi 1
leaving pine bluff and moving to sheridan! get ... Jul 7 bbtj 14
Review: Memorial Park Cemetery Jul 6 Felicia king 1
Which is a better place to live Pine Bluff Arka... Jun 30 Guest 2
Deadly Caregiver Jun '15 GrandNana 1
News Shareholder Sues to See Ozark Heritage Bank's R... (Sep '11) Jun '15 whosewho 35
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pine Bluff Mortgages