New Bledsoe County Jail

Posted in the Pikeville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
A View from the Bluff

United States

#1 Mar 13, 2009
I have noticed a couple of folks discussing the proposal for the new jail. It seems that most people agree that a new jail is needed, but some disagree on the size. First, I can say for a fact that we have to have a new jail. I worked as a Deputy under Sheriff George Morgan, and I have seen the jail inside and out. It would make a great museum but not a jail. For to long county commissioners threw good money after bad by trying to fix the jail. It can't be fixed folks. I would personally like to see at least a 75 - 100 bed facility. Obtain certification for holding state as well as federal prisoners in transport. The jail needs to have the capacity to hold women and men. We also need a Sheriff with business sense to manage the jail. It must be treated as business as much as possible. In times like these, the Sheriff must watch every dollar and also look for every available source of funding.
TOWN HOUSE GIRL

AOL

#2 Mar 13, 2009
if they would guit working on that road in pikeville and spent a little money on helping build a new jail that not right we donot need that road fix they need to spent that money on a new jail or gat them people out office and put someone in who cares about the jail we donot need a road we need a jail
river rambler

Dunlap, TN

#3 Mar 14, 2009
A new jail will be paid for by the property owners of this county. It is needed and I also know that it is long over due. The fact is that it has been put off too long and now it will cost three to four times as much to build as it would have under Sheriff Morgan. Now is not the time to be looking back but foward. I too agree that it should be able to house 75-100 prisioners and be designed that it could be easily added on to if it needed expansion in the next hundred years. Note that the ususable life span of a building is about fifty years before maintiance cost start outweighing the replacement cost.
As far as roads go, that tax money comes from fuel taxes imposed by the federal and state agencies, and not county property taxes. Build and improve all the roads here locally so some of our tax money will come home to be spent instead of some other county!
george

Covington, LA

#4 Mar 14, 2009
TOWN HOUSE GIRL wrote:
if they would guit working on that road in pikeville and spent a little money on helping build a new jail that not right we donot need that road fix they need to spent that money on a new jail or gat them people out office and put someone in who cares about the jail we donot need a road we need a jail
they dont need a new jail or the road fixed why use tax payers money for that bs its just crazy for either 1 get some new jobs in there
A View from the Bluff

United States

#5 Mar 14, 2009
Yes we do need jobs here. However, we also must build a new jail. The state is not going to let the county commissioners off the hook this time. The state will close the jail and then the county is going to go from a bad financial situation to an extremely bad financial situation when we have to pay other counties to house or prisoners while we build a new jail. Also, a new jail will add some amount of new jobs to the county. During these times, any new job should be welcomed by the community.
QUESTION

Dunlap, TN

#6 May 9, 2009
WHEN WILL THEY START NEW JAIL

Dunlap, TN

#7 May 9, 2009
YES WHEN WILL THEY START
Indian Squaw

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#8 May 13, 2009
A View from the Bluff wrote:
I have noticed a couple of folks discussing the proposal for the new jail. It seems that most people agree that a new jail is needed, but some disagree on the size. First, I can say for a fact that we have to have a new jail. I worked as a Deputy under Sheriff George Morgan, and I have seen the jail inside and out. It would make a great museum but not a jail. For to long county commissioners threw good money after bad by trying to fix the jail. It can't be fixed folks. I would personally like to see at least a 75 - 100 bed facility. Obtain certification for holding state as well as federal prisoners in transport. The jail needs to have the capacity to hold women and men. We also need a Sheriff with business sense to manage the jail. It must be treated as business as much as possible. In times like these, the Sheriff must watch every dollar and also look for every available source of funding.
Amen, someone finally sees the light!
Indian Squaw

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#9 May 13, 2009
george wrote:
<quoted text>they dont need a new jail or the road fixed why use tax payers money for that bs its just crazy for either 1 get some new jobs in there
Duh!!!!!!wake up George, a new jail is needed and one that size would indeed create some jobs for some people. But where you gonna find people who want to work? Everyone wants a check but no one wants to do the job.... But a jail would indeed create jobs for some.
Wake up!!!!!!!!!! Crime is on the rise, we need somewhere to put the ciminals.... Get them off the streets!!! George or maybe they can house them with you.... You got room?
hillbilly

Dunlap, TN

#10 May 13, 2009
was reading where some towns have shut down there new jails. and returned to there old jails because of operation cost on there new jail//one fact Hamilton county sold silver dale [county workhouse]to cca..because it cost to much for the county to run it..today its got several wings empty..thats several hundred beds..how can bledsoe county run a jail cheaper..look out, your large tax increase is coming after election,,just watch and see..pikeville will be screaming about taxs.like people in dunlap are today.
river rambler

Dunlap, TN

#11 May 13, 2009
spoke with Greg Ridley today, he is working on this years budget. The new jail will cost about twenty-eight cents added onto the tax rate to cover the yearly payments of the new jail. By housing state prisioners, will help off set the cost by about six hundred thousand a year. Will have to wait and see what the county commission does with the budget before any thing solid is known.
hillbilly

Dunlap, TN

#12 May 13, 2009
river rambler wrote:
spoke with Greg Ridley today, he is working on this years budget. The new jail will cost about twenty-eight cents added onto the tax rate to cover the yearly payments of the new jail. By housing state prisioners, will help off set the cost by about six hundred thousand a year. Will have to wait and see what the county commission does with the budget before any thing solid is known.
how can bledsoe county make money holding state prisioners..hamiltion cant.they sold the work house..how many towns have built these large jails,then shut them down and returned to there older smaller jail..look at dunlaps tax mess..
hillbilly

Dunlap, TN

#13 May 13, 2009
add 28 cents,,think back 4 years add 29 cents,,now how many per cent has your pay check increased.and how many per cent has tax increased..
Gregg Ridley Mayor

Cordova, SC

#14 May 13, 2009
hillbilly wrote:
<quoted text>how can bledsoe county make money holding state prisioners..hamiltion cant.they sold the work house..how many towns have built these large jails,then shut them down and returned to there older smaller jail..look at dunlaps tax mess..
The state pays $35 per day per prisoner. With 50 state prisoners that is $638,750 per year. We will have the same number of employees with 50 inmates or 100 inmates. The electric bill will not increase but the gas bill will increase somewhat because of the extra usage of hot water for showers. There will be many more expenses that will be offset by the revenues from the state.

The yearly debt service payment will be $500,000 plus the Tennessee Corrections Institute will require the hiring of nine extra guards at a yearly cost of $225.000. The electric bill is estimated at $8000 per month.($96,000 per year)
Bledsoe’s tax rate is $1.58 per one-hundred dollars of assessment and the individual penny brings in $18,000.
If we can off set the expenses with $600,000 in new revenue, that’s $600,000 that does not have to come from the tax payer. The new jail will be included in the 2009/2010 budget which is set to be passed in July of this year. I am working to offset as much of the increase as possible.
Gregg Ridley Mayor

Cordova, SC

#15 May 13, 2009
hillbilly wrote:
add 28 cents,,think back 4 years add 29 cents,,now how many per cent has your pay check increased.and how many per cent has tax increased..
The increase that came in 2006 brought the tax rate to $2.06. The tax rate today is $1.58. No one hates to pay taxes more than I do but if you want to be a county and have law enforcement; schools and the service provided, it takes revenue from somewhere.

Compare Sequatchie Co at $2.05, Hamilton at almost $3, Grundy at $2.90, Polk at $2.85 and our $1.58 looks good.
Every time someone buys in an adjoining county they keep our sales tax for their schools.
BledsoeGrad

Dunlap, TN

#16 May 14, 2009
Gregg Ridley Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
The increase that came in 2006 brought the tax rate to $2.06. The tax rate today is $1.58. No one hates to pay taxes more than I do but if you want to be a county and have law enforcement; schools and the service provided, it takes revenue from somewhere.
Compare Sequatchie Co at $2.05, Hamilton at almost $3, Grundy at $2.90, Polk at $2.85 and our $1.58 looks good.
Every time someone buys in an adjoining county they keep our sales tax for their schools.
And this my neighbors is why we need Gregg Ridley to stay in office! He is smart, knows what he is doing, and wants the best for all of us! Of course we will have to pay for the jail but hopefully not lawsuits because of the existing one we are trying to use now. Our real problem is who ae we gonna get to run for Sheriff that will do his job, let the officers do their jobs, and more than a special education diploma for education! Jimmy Morris didn't try to learn anything while he was in school as a young boy, and he still does not know much more than how to work with horses! We need a real Sheriff!!
jones

Smyrna, TN

#17 May 14, 2009
BledsoeGrad wrote:
<quoted text> And this my neighbors is why we need Gregg Ridley to stay in office! He is smart, knows what he is doing, and wants the best for all of us! Of course we will have to pay for the jail but hopefully not lawsuits because of the existing one we are trying to use now. Our real problem is who ae we gonna get to run for Sheriff that will do his job, let the officers do their jobs, and more than a special education diploma for education! Jimmy Morris didn't try to learn anything while he was in school as a young boy, and he still does not know much more than how to work with horses! We need a real Sheriff!!
There are times when common HORSE SENSE is better that someone with a college degree that hasn't the sense to get out of the rain!!! How about putting some of the blame on the courts. Jimmy can arrest them, they are taken to court and given $20 plus court cost??? Mkaes sense to me?!?!
my opinion counts 2

Dunlap, TN

#18 May 14, 2009
BledsoeGrad wrote:
<quoted text> And this my neighbors is why we need Gregg Ridley to stay in office! He is smart, knows what he is doing, and wants the best for all of us! Of course we will have to pay for the jail but hopefully not lawsuits because of the existing one we are trying to use now. Our real problem is who ae we gonna get to run for Sheriff that will do his job, let the officers do their jobs, and more than a special education diploma for education! Jimmy Morris didn't try to learn anything while he was in school as a young boy, and he still does not know much more than how to work with horses! We need a real Sheriff!!
I agree with the Sheriff comment, but the Mayor comment I BEG TO DIFFER. In my own opinion , he is a dissapointment to me and I will not vote for him next election. As far as he knows what he is doing.okay....lol...., I am a show me person..and im not seeing squat!
STAR08

Cordova, SC

#19 May 14, 2009
my opinion counts 2 wrote:
<quoted text>I agree with the Sheriff comment, but the Mayor comment I BEG TO DIFFER. In my own opinion , he is a dissapointment to me and I will not vote for him next election. As far as he knows what he is doing.okay....lol...., I am a show me person..and im not seeing squat!
Who can we get to run that can be elected and do the job. Let's come up with some names fast because the time is getting close. The way the ones in office are treated now, no one wants to put their families through the hell. I would like a choice though.
Gregg Ridley Mayor

Cordova, SC

#20 Jun 27, 2009
A View from the Bluff wrote:
Construction of the new Bledsoe County Detention Center will begin around the end of July and should be completed by July, 2010. There will be 96 beds, 24 of which can be reserved for women. The management of our new facility will determine how much of the cost will be picked up by the taxpayer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wreck Tuesday morning 47 min Kyle 2
Everyone excited 12 hr Shrug 3
Jobs 19 hr JUST ME 3
Relieved Mon Relieved 1
Piggly Wiggly (Dec '09) Mon Good 81
Downtown Pikeville Mon Better 35
Long Wait at Piggly Wiggly Sun nutzaplente 10

Pikeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance