Pikeville Cheerleadering Sponsors

Pikeville Cheerleadering Sponsors

Posted in the Pikeville Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Spent Out

Macon, GA

#1 Aug 4, 2010
Thanks to Mrs. Wheeler and Mrs. Stone for your time spent on the youth of our community..........

Beyond that I am sick of the crap I have to deal with my daughter being a part of a school activity.

Sick of the following, waiting for you to arrive at schelduled practices on time, waiting for you to dismiss from schelduled practices, begging the public to purchase your junk just so our children can accompany you on your so called competition trips just so you can pig out at your favorite restaurent, working at your girls night out just to fund the trips previously mentioned, selling your donuts to fund your previously mentioned trips..........etc.

I just a month or so ago attended a competiuads tion in Knoxville that Mrs. Stones highly funded girls were not even in the same class as their competition.

I got to spent some time with the parents of the squads that recieved most of the awards and they were shocked to hear about the extremes that our parents go to in revenue collection. In addition all of these schools have less funding than the Pikeville Independent School system provides. In short they do more with less and are not subjected to the money begging that we are forced to do, otherwise we must pay for it out of our pocket. If you don't sell the crap then you must pay for you child to cheer out of you pocket.

That policy has forced several good cheerleaders to quit or to change schools. To me that is the wrong way to promote our youth.

When will Mrs. Stone and Mrs. Wheeler realize that our local businesses can not afford to fund your foolish competitions/dinner trips????????
another parent

Elkhorn City, KY

#2 Aug 4, 2010
I too am spent out. My daughter has been a cheerleader every year since second grade and I thank God that this is the last year. Whatever happened to having a big mouth (for cheering) and lots of energy? Why do they have to have gymnastics and all this expensive stuff. Years ago it was all about fun but, now it is just "too much" Would love to know how much I have spent on cheerleading.
Spent Out

Macon, GA

#3 Aug 5, 2010
I appreciate the time both sponsors devote to our children. I just think they require to much of our childrens time for a non academic activity. In addition I feel some of the girls grades are not good enough to justify the added time of cheerleading.

The sponsors should allow more time for the girls to study and to bring their grades up. This practice and solicitation cycle does nothing to improve their grades.

When will these sponsors realize that the local businesses are strained enough by the economy and can't support them year in and year out.

I for one am tired of selling everything under the sun or be faced with a bill that I have to pay out of pocket. Parents of other schools that we compete against are shocked that we the parents are required to raise so much money for our kids.

These same schools seem to have some quality squads and in some cases better squads than us. So much for the more money raised equals a better squad theory.

So in the end I suggest that all cheerleading parents refuse to go door to door begging. I am confident the school system doesn't have the stomach to deal with the legal fallout if one of the girls are dismissed from the squad for not raising the required money.
bobby

Jackson, KY

#4 Aug 5, 2010
1. All fund raising activities are approved by the site base council.

2. Have you voiced your concerns to them? or to the sponsors.

3. There are other "activities" that require little time and no money. Have you and your child considered any other activity?
Spent Out

Macon, GA

#5 Aug 5, 2010
bobby wrote:
1. All fund raising activities are approved by the site base council.
2. Have you voiced your concerns to them? or to the sponsors.
3. There are other "activities" that require little time and no money. Have you and your child considered any other activity?
I expected to recieve a response such as yours. You failed to address why so much money must be worked out or paid for personally.

Yes there are other activities but what if my child chooses to be a cheerleader? Then she must also be good in marketing or we will have to take out a second loan on the house. I and several other parents are tired of begging our already suffering local businesses for money. Just as I was told last week by a local business person "you along with 30 other kids in the city and county keep knocking on my door each year, we can not afford to be leaned on every year for your over done trips".

If the sponsors had to go out and face these local business people year after year they would get the picture. There have been several girls relocate or change to county schools because their families couldnt afford these foolish money raising schemes.

Now tomorrow there is a golf deal where each girl is asked to bring in 500.00 in begging money. This is on the heels of the donut sales. Mrs cheerleading sponsor this is just asking to much of the public. My daughters abilities on the floor should be the only thing that allows her to be a cheerleader, not how good she is at hocking your goods.

Now your opinion is respected but I have sought legal advice on this matter and your site base council may just be suprised if you try to dismiss a girl that can't generate the money through sales or hasn't the income to pay out of pocket. In addition I wonder if they have the stomach to face the public outcry when they dismiss one for being short a few dollars of begging money.

For goodness sake, let the girls be girls, not door to door beggars to fund your big time trips that get you embarassed like you were in Knoxville by squads that were required to raise "0" dollars to attend, how much did it cost you to finsh third?
inagreement

Elkhorn City, KY

#6 Aug 5, 2010
Spent Out, I and many others in this community are in total agreement with you. The cheerleading fundraising at PHS is terrible. I agree with you, I don't think its legal to deny a child the right to be a cheerleader because they can't afford it. That would be considered discrimination and it became illegal years ago. A few years ago, I had a friend who's daughter quit the squad because they couldn't afford it and the Mom worked so much she didn't have time for the fundraising.
Spent Out

Macon, GA

#7 Aug 5, 2010
Yes the sponsors devote a lot of time and effort, for that I am grateful.

But in the end it is a huge hassle for the parents to make ends meet in these times and we keep getting bombarded with money request. I can only imagine how hard it must be for the single parents to substain this never ending pressure to sell sell sell.

I hope some more parents join me in this cause, I have spoke with several that agree that this situation with the fundraising has gotten out of hand. It is time we band together and let it be known that we refuse to be constantly subjected to playing the role of Billy Mays.

I will gladly trade places with the sponsors for a month if they will get out and beg for money as we do. Then they may understand our position a little more and be assured they will understand the business oweners position. This is just to much to be a cheerleader.
ummm

Georgetown, KY

#8 Aug 5, 2010
You probably need to talk to other cheerleading parents directly, then, if in agreement, you can go directly to the sponsors with your concerns. This has been going on for years and years. Getting on here and venting is NOT going to help at all. This is just a gossip site and you will probably get alot of agreement about the situation, but not much action.

Also, I am amazed you wrote that some girls switch schools because of all this. That is crazy!!! What kind of parent would allow their child to switch schools just because of cheerleading? Sounds like some people need to get their priorities straight!
Spent Out

Macon, GA

#9 Aug 5, 2010
ummm wrote:
You probably need to talk to other cheerleading parents directly, then, if in agreement, you can go directly to the sponsors with your concerns. This has been going on for years and years. Getting on here and venting is NOT going to help at all. This is just a gossip site and you will probably get alot of agreement about the situation, but not much action.
Also, I am amazed you wrote that some girls switch schools because of all this. That is crazy!!! What kind of parent would allow their child to switch schools just because of cheerleading? Sounds like some people need to get their priorities straight!
What kind of parent you ask..........A parent that appreciates their childs love and passion for cheerleading but cannot afford to have her cheer at PHS.

If you have been around for the last couple years and haven't been looking through blinders you must know of two single mothers that could not afford this nonsense. Both girls were great cheerleaders. One moved to Pike Central and the other just dropped from the squad. Both situations were brought on by the constant demand to raise money.

That is a sad statement to where we have evolved to in our society when young girls cannot participate in high school activities because of their finicial status.

Shame on you sponsors for allowing this to happen. Quit the practice of pay to play and let the girls enjoy their lives.
question

Lynch, KY

#10 Aug 5, 2010
Is your child still cheering at Pikeville? and if so and you/she is so unhappy with it there then do as you said others have done and go to another school.
ummm

Georgetown, KY

#11 Aug 5, 2010
Spent Out wrote:
<quoted text>
What kind of parent you ask..........A parent that appreciates their childs love and passion for cheerleading but cannot afford to have her cheer at PHS.
If you have been around for the last couple years and haven't been looking through blinders you must know of two single mothers that could not afford this nonsense. Both girls were great cheerleaders. One moved to Pike Central and the other just dropped from the squad. Both situations were brought on by the constant demand to raise money.
That is a sad statement to where we have evolved to in our society when young girls cannot participate in high school activities because of their finicial status.
Shame on you sponsors for allowing this to happen. Quit the practice of pay to play and let the girls enjoy their lives.
Sorry, but a kid's main focus at school should be academics. I can appreciate a child's love and passion for something, but to take a child out of school for something like cheerleading is sending out the wrong message. Extra-curricular activities are all well and good, but the focus needs to remain on academics. High school and cheerleading only last for a few years - even if the kid cheers in college- but an education carries the child on into the future. Talk to the sponsor and see if there is any scholarship money available to help out with the burden. Again, getting on this forum isn't going to result in anything being done.
WHY

Richmond, KY

#12 Aug 5, 2010
Why would you get on here to voice your concerns? Shouldn't you talk to Mrs. Wheeler & Mrs. Stone yourself? Just a thought! And I highly doubt that a squad didn't have to raise any money to go to camp! How did they go unless they paid for it out of their own pocket?
Spent Out

Macon, GA

#13 Aug 5, 2010
question wrote:
Is your child still cheering at Pikeville? and if so and you/she is so unhappy with it there then do as you said others have done and go to another school.
What you fail to realize is that it should not be a squad exclusive to the wealthy that can afford to pay the money that the sponsors require.

If this policy continues I can only hope that it is brought to the attention of the ACLU. Like I said if the sponsors would like to change positions for a while I will be glad to accomodate them. Then we will see how they fare at the begging and knocking on doors of businesses that have been milked for far too long.
pom poms

Elkhorn City, KY

#14 Aug 5, 2010
Spent Out wrote:
<quoted text>
What you fail to realize is that it should not be a squad exclusive to the wealthy that can afford to pay the money that the sponsors require.
If this policy continues I can only hope that it is brought to the attention of the ACLU. Like I said if the sponsors would like to change positions for a while I will be glad to accomodate them. Then we will see how they fare at the begging and knocking on doors of businesses that have been milked for far too long.
They can buy and pay for as much as they want, it darn sure doesn't make them any better than the next. I agree with "spent out". What a shame.....
Outside looking in

Frisco, TX

#15 Aug 5, 2010
I recall talking about this with a "cheer mom" a few years ago. She told me that one year she kept track of all the money they spent on cheering at Pikeville for just one year, including travel, shoes, hairbows, etc. and it was well over $5,000.00!!! That is ridiculous. She said after they kept track of it and her daughter saw the amount she wanted to quit, and did! Now it's not just varsity cheerleaders either. They start them in kindergarten and go all the way through high school. The little girls don't even have any teams to cheer for, so what's the point?
inagreement

Elkhorn City, KY

#16 Aug 5, 2010
ummm wrote:
You probably need to talk to other cheerleading parents directly, then, if in agreement, you can go directly to the sponsors with your concerns. This has been going on for years and years. Getting on here and venting is NOT going to help at all. This is just a gossip site and you will probably get alot of agreement about the situation, but not much action.
Also, I am amazed you wrote that some girls switch schools because of all this. That is crazy!!! What kind of parent would allow their child to switch schools just because of cheerleading? Sounds like some people need to get their priorities straight!
Basketball and football parents do it all the time. I admire these parents for having the courage to speak up.
dont give up

Clay City, KY

#17 Aug 5, 2010
Several years ago, my daughter cheered for Mrs. Stone & Mrs. Wheeler. Even though money was tight and fund raising was a hassle, the confidence and poise that my daughter gained helped her during her college years and beyond. As a cheerleader,she learned to work hard to acheive her goals.
This same work ethic helped her throughout college and graduate school. She has her doctorate now and has a great career. I'm thankful for Mrs. Stone and Mrs. Wheeler and hope they keep up the good work.
Duhh

Ransom, KY

#18 Aug 5, 2010
Spent Out wrote:
<quoted text>
What you fail to realize is that it should not be a squad exclusive to the wealthy that can afford to pay the money that the sponsors require.
If this policy continues I can only hope that it is brought to the attention of the ACLU. Like I said if the sponsors would like to change positions for a while I will be glad to accomodate them. Then we will see how they fare at the begging and knocking on doors of businesses that have been milked for far too long.
I never knew that money was a problem for Pikeville.
Uhh

Louisville, KY

#19 Aug 5, 2010
Duhh wrote:
<quoted text>
I never knew that money was a problem for Pikeville.
It never should be with the exorbitant school taxes charged on property within the city limits. That should be the best-funded school system on Earth.
Bobby

United States

#20 Aug 6, 2010
Spent out you say "I expected to recieve a response such as yours. You failed to address why so much money must be worked out or paid for personally"

If you expected to receive a response such as mine, that tells me that you know that you should go and speak to the right parties and voice your concerns to them! You can complain on topic's for weeks, even months and it will do you no good!

You also keep commenting about kids being thrown off if they do not bring in enough money! Is this hearsay or fact? I have been around PHS for years and have never seen this in any sport! Actually the opposite as teachers and parents have went in to help and pay for things that were needed!

I work at a local business that gives money to pretty much every school in Pike and Floyd county and it's not the giving of money that concerns businness, most of them want to support our schools! The problem is the schools and parents don't shop the local stores! You want them to give then you go to Wal Mart! A local business supports our community! When you see the cheerleaders, Football, basketball teams, etc order or purchase things that can be purchased from a local store that is when the business owner says enough is enough! No not everything can be purchased locally but the schools not just Pikeville very seldom think of the business that support them! Example Roger's Chevron and Cardinal Country Mart supports our schools with money and other items. How many of you have shopped with these local stores over the last six months? It just easier to stop at Wal Mart and fill'er up! You will get support from the local business when you support them! They don't mind giving if you don't mind returning the favor!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Buffalo Wild Wings is open 59 min yessir 28
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... (Jul '14) 1 hr IND 32,435
Add a word, Drop a word (May '10) 1 hr _FLATLINE-------- 25,502
city park 4 hr concerned citizens 12
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 5 hr Raji 149,022
expo another epic fail 5 hr CityElite 22
Hillary Clinton OUR next President (Jun '15) 5 hr Fhopenot 2,268
News Pike Co. furloughs 19 16 hr Power Circle Control 20
Island Creek shooting Wed legal eagle 142

Pikeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pikeville Mortgages