Why Are So Many People Leaving Pike County ?

Posted in the Pikeville Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of488
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Kevin

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2011

In the last 5 years, a lot of my friends and family have moved away from here. I keep hearing about the population decline. Why? There are worse places in Kentucky to live than Pike County. Heck, West Virginia is worse than Pike County. This place aint that bad, is it?
Mass Exodus Guy

Franklin, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2011

Judged:

No jobs outside of the mines, rampant drug abuse (Seriously, the levels are comically huge) Terrible drivers, terrible housing options, terrible shopping options, mediocre dining options, few options for higher education, no jobs outside of the mines, a number of traffic accidents that is higher than any other region in the country (except South Carolina)
Just an Opinion

Pikeville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2011

Judged:

Pikeville, KY and Pike County isn't a bad place but I think the main reason for people is because of the fact that they have lived here all their lives and doesn't think anything is here for them. A lot of people wants to relocate somewhere else so they can start fresh in their life and have new beginnings. Some people out here in Pikeville has a sense of adventure but can't do what they wanna do here so they would prefer to go somewhere else to fulfill their need for adventure. And for others they probably wanna go somewhere to where they can be closed off from people cause they may not wanna deal with stress and aggravation people puts on others so in a way their is a lot of reason for leaving but the what I explained are probably the main key points into why a lot of people wants to leave Pike County. I hope this helps explain what you wanna know.
agree

Pikeville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2011

Judged:

Mass Exodus Guy wrote:
No jobs outside of the mines, rampant drug abuse (Seriously, the levels are comically huge) Terrible drivers, terrible housing options, terrible shopping options, mediocre dining options, few options for higher education, no jobs outside of the mines, a number of traffic accidents that is higher than any other region in the country (except South Carolina)
Agree 100% now add property taxes, no proper drinking water (always getting letters about the water from MWD). Vehicle taxes, car insurance, and very very limited work which I know you already said but felt it bared repeating lol. Nothing at all to do but drugs or stir trouble.
Hmmm

Radford, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2011

Judged:

Hmm would it have anything to do with the corruption that goes on with the good ole buddy system?It might also be because of the righteous flock.
fire political hacks

Virgie, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2011

Judged:

Hmmm wrote:
Hmm would it have anything to do with the corruption that goes on with the good ole buddy system?It might also be because of the righteous flock.
I'm sure many residents are becoming more offended by local politicians and their back door shenanigans. Pikeville has a mental retard for a mayor, and a commission that appears afraid of him and/or his daddy's money. Our local newspaper editor is a yellow coward who just whimpered and crawled into his corner and sucked his thumb when that retarded mayor 'bitch slapped' his tear streaked face.

The County judge is an old miserable dinosaur that should have been retired to pasture way back when he decided to spend over a hundred thousand of OUR dollars to install bronze plaques of his ugly face in all county buildings.

The elected Senator, Ray S. Jones, Jr., has not yet explained his part in the ill planned smutt campaign against Magistrate Chris Harris. All the Magistrate had done was ask for an audit of a company that a Jones' family member was reportedly dealing with.

Our representative , Keith Hall, is embroiled in a case of shameful dirty dealings involving his being quietly awarded scores of 'no bid contracts' from the same entities involved in the "Magistrate Harris, Frank Justice, and Ray S. Jones" embarassing debacle. That smear stinks up his whole presence in Frankfort. BTW...The red faced, angry, and violent mayor 'bitch-slapped' the weasly editor for leaking the fact that he was also involved in the questionable UMG/MWD and the lies about Magistrate Harris.

Personally, I am extremely ashamed of a certain voting block who keep on being stupid enough to vote these idiots back in so they can make fools of as all over again.

No one enjoys being the laughing stock of the entire country for being as stupid as these voters appear to be. I would leave too if I didn't have family here.

Untill we elect officials who realize they still work for us, even after being elected, we will continue to appear to the nation as half-wit, ignorant, uneducated, hillbilly court jesters.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2011

Judged:

Pike Co. sucks big fat hairy donkey balls for all the reasons listed here and then some. And before anybody says "Then why don't you get the hell out of here?" Tell you what: finance my move and I'll be outta here before the sun goes down.
Jill

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2011

Judged:

popZaroo wrote:
Pike Co. sucks big fat hairy donkey balls for all the reasons listed here and then some. And before anybody says "Then why don't you get the hell out of here?" Tell you what: finance my move and I'll be outta here before the sun goes down.
Me too, honey. I hate this dump.
hottest woman

Elkhorn City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2011

Judged:

the powers that be in this county refuse to see the big picture
they are a. either so stuck in the past and allowing the churches to run things, that a person cant even go for a cold one on sunday afternoon
and b. they refuse to bring in industry, jobs, and entertainment
try to put a hooters in pikeville and you would have a dixie stampede on your face
PHS Parent

Stanton, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2011

Judged:

because the whole place is a drug-infested, poverty ridden dump..thanks to our local and state governments, which is nothing more than a garbage dump of greediness..can't wait to leave this hell hole and move to a real town..
Noah

Pikeville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2011

Judged:

hottest woman wrote:
the powers that be in this county refuse to see the big picture
they are a. either so stuck in the past and allowing the churches to run things, that a person cant even go for a cold one on sunday afternoon
and b. they refuse to bring in industry, jobs, and entertainment
try to put a hooters in pikeville and you would have a dixie stampede on your face
While I agree that this place really sucks, and have not one word good to say about the place, you can't simply blame the "religious folk" in this area for the restriction of alcohol sale on Sundays. That's actually a pretty common law in the U.S. Just a few other states that share the same law include: Arkansas, Connecticut, Georgia, Michigan, Minnesota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia... So, if you move to one of these places, then prepare to be disappointed.
uhm

Pikeville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2011

Noah wrote:
<quoted text>
While I agree that this place really sucks, and have not one word good to say about the place, you can't simply blame the "religious folk" in this area for the restriction of alcohol sale on Sundays. That's actually a pretty common law in the U.S. Just a few other states that share the same law include: Arkansas, Connecticut, Georgia, Michigan, Minnesota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia... So, if you move to one of these places, then prepare to be disappointed.
Sorry Noah...your wrong. Virginia can sell alcohol on Sunday's. Hey, don't take my word for it....go up to the Laurel Shop next Sunday and get yourself a nice cold 12 pack!
Noah

Pikeville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2011

uhm wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Noah...your wrong. Virginia can sell alcohol on Sunday's. Hey, don't take my word for it....go up to the Laurel Shop next Sunday and get yourself a nice cold 12 pack!
Actually I was recently with a friend who wanted to purchase alcohol for himself on a Sunday in wise county Virginia. He brought the alcohol to the counter, and they had him put it back because it was Sunday. This personal experience caused me to directly disagree with your statement. However a quick google search shows we are both right... Some counties prohibit it, while some have limitations on it, and others allow it as it is a regular day... Some parts of VA do, and some parts don't... So, sorry "uhm", I wasn't wrong. We just had different experiences in different places...
Land of the Lost

Georgetown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2011

Judged:

Pike County is a good place to be from! I spent a week there one day! Good ol boy politicians without the intelligence to make it in the real world run the place. People vote in family blocks just like they go to church, if there daddy went to this church they go there. If their daddy votes for Lil Abner they will also. The school system failed the public because they are so stupid they don't know how the system works and keep voting the same ol political hacks back into office. When your grandpa voted for a hack and you are still voting for them, that should give you a clue!

Got politicians here that leave office only when they go on medicaid!
fire political hacks

Virgie, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2011

Judged:

Land of the Lost wrote:
Pike County is a good place to be from! I spent a week there one day! Good ol boy politicians without the intelligence to make it in the real world run the place. People vote in family blocks just like they go to church, if there daddy went to this church they go there. If their daddy votes for Lil Abner they will also. The school system failed the public because they are so stupid they don't know how the system works and keep voting the same ol political hacks back into office. When your grandpa voted for a hack and you are still voting for them, that should give you a clue!
Got politicians here that leave office only when they go on medicaid!
You are so right. The school system has failed and allowed the ignorant to allow themselves to be walked on by their own self serving, arrogant, elected 'officials'.

Just look at how politicized the Pike County school board, and others, have been and still are. The old, worn out, overbearing, arrogant fools keep being voted in because, as you said, "Daddy voted for them"!

lack of a qualified up to date teaching faculty is the root cause. If only these illiterate people knew better than to keep returning "Little Hitlers" to office because of name recognition and a load of gravel, we would not be the bunt of jokes worldwide.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2011

Pike Co. USED to be a good place...but those days are no more. We used to have a pretty little town with neat stores and such. Now it's all law offices and courthouses. Just how many courthouses do we need anyway? Then there's that monstrosity of a money pit called the Expo Center--completely useless!
As stated above, no nice places to eat, no good places to shop, no really good jobs, rampant drug use, car insurance rates that are through the roof, sales tax on your vehicle every year, politicians with their hands in everybody's pockets but their own...
Plus, it's just an ugly place. I know people don't want land restrictions, but because there aren't any, there's so many places whose front yards look like a junk yard or a used appliance store. Trash everywhere. A lake that looks so pathetic the politicians ought to be ashamed to have anybody see it. Houses that need demolished, litter everywhere...
In Tn where there are land restrictions, it's beautiful. I don't understand why people wouldn't want that. I'd like to be proud of my hometown, but instead I'm ashamed of it. When somebody asks me where I'm from, I'm ashamed to tell them.
I think people here have been beaten down and kicked in the teeth so much that all they feel is hopeless. They have no pride anymore. They think that it will never get any better, so they just wallow in the ugliness of this place--embrace it even. That's just what I think anyway.
I have a small child. I'd like to be living somewhere else before he starts school. I want what's best for him, and the Pike Co. school system ain't it.
Then there's the issue of medical care. We have one of the biggest hospitals around (not counting all of the medical buildings that are branches of PMC), yet the doctors here are so sorry that we have to go to Lexington to make sure we are diagnosed correctly and treated properly. Even when Walter May needed care, did he go to his own hospital? Nope. He went to Lexington too. That speaks volumes.
Anyway, sorry so long. I'll get off my soap-box now. Y'all have a nice day.
Hope

Pikeville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2011

Judged:

I saw Scott Sykes out the other day and asked him what he thought about things in EC and the county. He smiled and said that he would be running for County Judge again in 2014.

Maybe the people in Pike County will wake up and see that we need young progressive leadership.
fire political hacks

Virgie, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2011

Judged:

Hope wrote:
I saw Scott Sykes out the other day and asked him what he thought about things in EC and the county. He smiled and said that he would be running for County Judge again in 2014.
Maybe the people in Pike County will wake up and see that we need young progressive leadership.
I don't know Scott Sykes but am ready to vote for anyone who isn't Wayne Rutherford.

No one knows but that the next one might degenerate into another ridiculous "WINDMILL WAYNE", but we absolutely HAVE to vote in some new blood.

Most of the magistrates seem to be OK, fighting for us against the greed and senility of Rutherford, but they need a judge to help them help us out of the hole he has put us all in over the decades of inept/foolish county 'leadership'.
do something then

Prestonsburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2011

Judged:

Go to small town America anywhere in this country and you will see a lot of the same things that you see in Pikeville.

If people are so dissatisfied with the way things are here and the politics of the area, then do something about it. Don't think that because "things have always been that way" that change cannot occur. You have to open you eyes and see some vision for the future and do something besides just complaining.
do something then

Prestonsburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2011

Judged:

Who is Scott Sykes and does he have a vision for the future of Pike County? If he has some good plans for the county then perhaps he might be a good candidate. I am not voting for someone just because of who their daddy is.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of488
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

88 Users are viewing the Pikeville Forum right now

Search the Pikeville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Mike Rowe Resigns 3 min by the book 26
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 33 min what would Jesus do 128,027
Add a word, Drop a word (May '10) 1 hr darktainium 21,019
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr DITCH MITCH 144,957
Landmark 1 hr lynn 5
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 1 hr BIG_STEVIE 16,110
paris cowboy =music 1 hr PARIS COWBOY 4,579
•••
•••
•••
•••

Pikeville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Pikeville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE