Jenny Wiley Theatre expanding

Sep 6, 2011 Full story: Independent 35

Jenny Wiley Drama Association, which governs Jenny Wiley Theatre, and the City of Pikeville have signed an agreement allowing the theater to expand its year-round offerings and bring professional theater to downtown Pikeville.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Hardline

Georgetown, KY

#1 Sep 6, 2011
Good deal, I guess. How much is it going to cost?
Betty

Winchester, KY

#2 Sep 7, 2011
Hardline wrote:
Good deal, I guess. How much is it going to cost?
1 million
Careless Actions

Jackson, KY

#3 Sep 8, 2011
Hardline wrote:
Good deal, I guess. How much is it going to cost?
It will cost the tax payers in the long run One Million plus!!
It is a shame that the City did not offer the Artist Collabertive Theatre any chance to show case local talent! As you know Jenny Wiley Theatre's main actors are brought in from OUT OF STATE and paid for acting!!!
It is a shame that our City has gone and used these fine folks,by having them to do whatever needs to be done on planning committees and such, and now they leave them out of what the do BEST!!
yet when this Theatre could showcase our Regions talented folks, our wonderful Pikeville City manager ignores these fine artist to bring in out of state actors, it is a sad day in Pikeville.
In the seventy years I have been here,this is the worst Mayor and City Manager I have ever seen that forgets were they are from!
But be sure of that I dont eat at Jerrys any more, nor will I or my group set in a seat at the new theatre,nor will I vote for Frankless or help Donnie in any way! they are Shameless nobobys to me for ignoring their own People. And as for Carrie, well I will be changing were I get my prescriptions!! For she was in on it since she runs Jenny Wiley! Shame on all three of you...
question

Pikeville, KY

#4 Sep 8, 2011
I thought that Jenny Wiley used a lot of local actors in their productions?? Is the Artist Collaberative Theatre the group out of Elkhorn?
PHS Fan

Stanton, KY

#5 Sep 8, 2011
ummm, Careless Actions, they are being partnered up with the ACT in promotions and use of the new theater being built. You also are failing to mention that the ACT is mostly based out of Elkhorn City. Maybe if those people out there would start showing up for meetings and actually RUNNING their city, they'd be in better position to argue on some of this stuff. The economic impact will benefit the whole area. Your proposed actions (not visiting shows at the theater, etc.) hurt only the city and surrounding businesses, they don't hurt Frank and Donovan one bit. You'd be better served actually participating so that you have a voice. It's like voting, you have no right to complain if you don't vote (not saying you don't, just saying a lot of people don't, yet they complain anyway about officials).
PHS Fan

Stanton, KY

#6 Sep 8, 2011
question wrote:
I thought that Jenny Wiley used a lot of local actors in their productions?? Is the Artist Collaberative Theatre the group out of Elkhorn?
They do. BUT, they also DO pay some actors, and yes, SOME of them are from out of state. But quite a few of their actors are locals. I know of several personally. And thanks for also bringing up ACT being from EC.
Scrip

Monaca, PA

#7 Sep 8, 2011
Maybe they can get Larry the Cable Guy. He's a big hit in Pikeville.
moves like jagger

Pikeville, KY

#8 Sep 8, 2011
i thought this was one of the dumber moves the dumb donovan has had in a long time.
and boy has he had some doozies!!!
here the expo sits idle most of the time, the city just took it over and now they turn right around and build a much un-needed theater.
why cant they have thier plays in the expo?
they dont have to use the entire arena, they could build a smaller stage and have the seating fixed just for plays...
or, have dinner theater, which would generate a little revenue.
act should get to share in this, it should have been a joint offering....yes act is based in elkhorn city, but i do know they sometimes take their work on the road.
donovan get your head out of the dark and into the light and stop spending money you dont have.
this is equivelent to steve st. john bringing in bands no one wants to see, listen to the people and stop listening to the voices in your head
Sametoyouandmore ofit

Pikeville, KY

#9 Sep 8, 2011
PHS Fan wrote:
ummm, Careless Actions, they are being partnered up with the ACT in promotions and use of the new theater being built. You also are failing to mention that the ACT is mostly based out of Elkhorn City. Maybe if those people out there would start showing up for meetings and actually RUNNING their city, they'd be in better position to argue on some of this stuff. The economic impact will benefit the whole area. Your proposed actions (not visiting shows at the theater, etc.) hurt only the city and surrounding businesses, they don't hurt Frank and Donovan one bit. You'd be better served actually participating so that you have a voice. It's like voting, you have no right to complain if you don't vote (not saying you don't, just saying a lot of people don't, yet they complain anyway about officials).
The economic impact? Isn't that what they said about the Expo? Do we really need to spend $1M on another vacant building? We already have an under-used Expo center...why not utilize it for the theatre????
Sametoyouandmore ofit

Pikeville, KY

#10 Sep 8, 2011
Spend the $1M on a big nice office building and offer affordable office spaces to small businesses. The City would attract more businesses which would increase tax revenue, and plus, they could actually make a profit from the building once it's paid for down the road. Besides, office space rent/lease in this area is ridiculous. This area needs something to promote jobs and the economy, not the time to invest in a theatre.
question

Pikeville, KY

#11 Sep 8, 2011
PHS Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
They do. BUT, they also DO pay some actors, and yes, SOME of them are from out of state. But quite a few of their actors are locals. I know of several personally. And thanks for also bringing up ACT being from EC.
What is going to happen to the present Jenny Wiley Theater? Will it continue to operate or will all plays be out of the new facility? Also is the facility going to be used by the ACT group too?
question

Pikeville, KY

#12 Sep 8, 2011
One last thing, where is the new building going to be located?
moves like jagger

Pikeville, KY

#13 Sep 8, 2011
it seems to me like i heard it was going to be located on the corner across from the new courthouse in that area that is used for a parking lot now, over from what used to be pinsons, now i might be wrong about that
i agree and stated earlier, the expo could be converted when needed to a theater-esque atmosphere and since they cook there as well, dinner theater...
what pikeville needs are real businesses.....and places to eat where you dont have to park half a mile, walk and sit outside for an hour and a half for food
and its not just the city that has lost it, the county is also building a new library down by the tractor supply store
come on people, really?
how about a big hotel resort complete with a lounge and rooms for conventions, and a pool area with slides etc for the kids and a few nice restaurants and some attractions, like a zoo or an aquariam to attract tourism
Cobalt

Richmond, KY

#14 Sep 8, 2011
I understand it will be in the old dawahares bldg., and the parking lot beside it-- currently belongs to Hensley Development but will be traded for a parking lot between the chamber railroad car and News Express bldg. which currently belongs to the city of Pikeville.
allforit

Lawrenceburg, KY

#15 Sep 8, 2011
I think it is an excellent way for my tax dollars to be spent. I love going to the outdoor shows and am so glad that the children in people in the area will be able to showcase their talent. Pikeville did not need the ACT from Elkhorn, they have a good location for that area and seem to do well by the support they get from that area. JWT has been around for years and some great talent has came from that stage and everyone should support it but not everyone in the county/city knows a lot about talent or the arts, so each to his own.
Sametoyouandmore ofit

Pikeville, KY

#16 Sep 8, 2011
allforit wrote:
I think it is an excellent way for my tax dollars to be spent. I love going to the outdoor shows and am so glad that the children in people in the area will be able to showcase their talent. Pikeville did not need the ACT from Elkhorn, they have a good location for that area and seem to do well by the support they get from that area. JWT has been around for years and some great talent has came from that stage and everyone should support it but not everyone in the county/city knows a lot about talent or the arts, so each to his own.
I haven't seen any posts from people that are against performing arts. With a fading coal industry, a terrible economy, and a rampant drug problem...it's hard to justify spending a million dollars on a theatre to benefit the area.
Scrip

Monaca, PA

#17 Sep 8, 2011
What about the thousands of tourists from all over the world who will flock to Pikeville on their vacations to see the local talent perform? Money well spent, I say.
moves like jagger

Pikeville, KY

#18 Sep 8, 2011
really, thousands of tourists will FLOCK to pikeville, to watch some performers?
i cant wait to see the loads and loads of them trying to find a hotel room
Sametoyouandmore ofit

Pikeville, KY

#19 Sep 9, 2011
Scrip wrote:
What about the thousands of tourists from all over the world who will flock to Pikeville on their vacations to see the local talent perform? Money well spent, I say.
Are you for real?*LOL*

What about the thousands of coal miners out of work that are leaving the area? People aren't exactly going to "flock" to a ghost town. Don't laugh, at one time Wheelwright and Elkhorn City were booming towns. Look what happened when the coal jobs left....
Sametoyouandmore ofit

Pikeville, KY

#20 Sep 9, 2011
moves like jagger wrote:
it seems to me like i heard it was going to be located on the corner across from the new courthouse in that area that is used for a parking lot now, over from what used to be pinsons, now i might be wrong about that
i agree and stated earlier, the expo could be converted when needed to a theater-esque atmosphere and since they cook there as well, dinner theater...
what pikeville needs are real businesses.....and places to eat where you dont have to park half a mile, walk and sit outside for an hour and a half for food
and its not just the city that has lost it, the county is also building a new library down by the tractor supply store
come on people, really?
how about a big hotel resort complete with a lounge and rooms for conventions, and a pool area with slides etc for the kids and a few nice restaurants and some attractions, like a zoo or an aquariam to attract tourism
I totally agree.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 6 min Injudgement 17,891
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 24 min spaceship 131,570
Barry Chaney 35 min Drink of water boss 25
Add a word, Drop a word (May '10) 1 hr Analog man 21,947
Keith Hall's withdrawl of a withdrawal decision. 1 hr End the Corruption 9
Appalachian Airplane 1 hr Safety First 11
Appalachian Air 1 hr Shut Down 113
Josh Huffman new Pikecille Commussioner 1 hr Amy 56
Mayor's Wife Blasting Combs 2 hr H Keith Screwed Up 46
judge combs question 4 hr Amy 41
Pikeville Dating
Find my Match

Pikeville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Pikeville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Pikeville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:53 pm PST

Bleacher Report 3:53PM
'Good Andy' Beats Texans, Don't Count on Playoff Run
Bleacher Report 3:55 PM
Grading Houston's Positional Units in Week 12
Bleacher Report 4:56 PM
Start Bernard or Hill in Week 13?
NFL 6:38 PM
Texans' Ryan Mallett might have torn right pectoral
ESPN 7:14 PM
Source: Texans' Mallet played with pec injury