Who are the 5 best PHS basketball pla...

Who are the 5 best PHS basketball players of all time.

Posted in the Pikeville Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Bob Tarback

Winfield, WV

#1 Dec 1, 2012
I`m just guessing since i`m not a PHS alumni. I graduated from another county school,(Belfry) in the early 70`s.

Keno Trivette
Mark Myers
Johnny Hale
Neil Smith (Vandy i think)
Bill Doug Taylor (Underrated, great leaper)
Bluecat

Ashburn, VA

#2 Dec 1, 2012
Chris Slater
Butch Davis
Sammy Carter
Jess Baird
Dickie Prater
Howard Lockhart
Coon Stratton
Not That

Mount Sterling, KY

#3 Dec 1, 2012
Bluecat wrote:
Chris Slater
Butch Davis
Sammy Carter
Jess Baird
Dickie Prater
Howard Lockhart
Coon Stratton
There was another little fast man in that day and his name was Lee Keene. He was a good ball player. All of these players were GREAT in My Eyes. And there were others we don't need to FORGET. Someone else name another from the real old days. GO PHS FOREVER.
hmmm

Virgie, KY

#4 Dec 1, 2012
Coach Wilson brought in some transfer names Troy.. He ws very underrated.
Bluecat

Knoxville, TN

#5 Dec 2, 2012
Troy Cooper. Lee Keene was very good. Woody Preston was another. I played with Matt Coleman and he was a lighting bolt.
Truth

Virgie, KY

#6 Dec 2, 2012
What players went to a D1 school to play? I think Coleman played college baseball at UK if my memory is correct.

Let's just mention anyone we know that went to D1 schools.

Uk for football included Deanthony Honaker, Mickey Webster, and Bob Shurtleff. There's prob more I don't recall.
Just guessing

Winfield, WV

#7 Dec 2, 2012
Neil Smith (Vandy)??
Robert Phillips (UK)??
There was another Phillips man too.??
Howard Lockhart (Pitt)
JP Blair (Morehead St.)
Ray Haley ??
Bluecat

Knoxville, TN

#8 Dec 2, 2012
Truth wrote:
What players went to a D1 school to play? I think Coleman played college baseball at UK if my memory is correct.
Let's just mention anyone we know that went to D1 schools.
Uk for football included Deanthony Honaker, Mickey Webster, and Bob Shurtleff. There's prob more I don't recall.
Howard Lockhart-Pitt, Dickie Prater-UK and South Carolina,Paul Prater-UK,Jack Cauley-Navy,and Matt Coleman-UK then Colorado Rockies.
Bluecat

Knoxville, TN

#9 Dec 2, 2012
Just guessing wrote:
Neil Smith (Vandy)??
Robert Phillips (UK)??
There was another Phillips man too.??
Howard Lockhart (Pitt)
JP Blair (Morehead St.)
Ray Haley ??
Was it Larry "Hooker" Phillips?
Bluecat

Knoxville, TN

#10 Dec 2, 2012
Doug Powers-Marshall, Matt Blair-Morehead St., Keith Washington - Marshall, Steve Bailey - Marshall.
Bluecat

Knoxville, TN

#11 Dec 2, 2012
And Gail Taylor, Marshall
Ummm

Georgetown, KY

#12 Dec 2, 2012
Thought title reads basketball. Most mentioned were football players. Neal Smith played football for Vandy and wasnt mch of a bball player. M.Blair was a football player, M.Webster and D. Honaker were football players, too.
Pissy Pikeville Attitude

Winfield, WV

#13 Dec 2, 2012
Bob Tarback wrote:
I`m just guessing since i`m not a PHS alumni. I graduated from another county school,(Belfry) in the early 70`s.
Keno Trivette
Mark Myers
Johnny Hale
Neil Smith (Vandy i think)
Bill Doug Taylor (Underrated, great leaper)
Well four of mine were basketball players and so were the Phillips men. I wasn`t sure about Neil Smith. I guess he was as good at basketball as Reggie was as a stock broker.
Hawk

Richmond, KY

#15 Dec 2, 2012
Let's not forget Denny Paul May from Belfry. He is #1 on the list of all time best players. This great player could do it all. He could jump, rebound, shoot, assist. He was the all time leading scorer for Belfry and still holds the record. Let's all give a clap for Denny Paul May.
Bob

Vero Beach, FL

#16 Feb 12, 2013
It is impossible to not have John Lee Butcher on the list of greatest players in
PHS history.
Bluecat

Kodak, TN

#17 Feb 12, 2013
Bob wrote:
It is impossible to not have John Lee Butcher on the list of greatest players in
PHS history.
Absolutely, I forgot him.
wtf s brother

Richmond, KY

#18 Feb 13, 2013
dont forget ronnie "beanball" ford...
Champ

Elkhorn City, KY

#19 Feb 13, 2013
Hawk wrote:
Let's not forget Denny Paul May from Belfry. He is #1 on the list of all time best players. This great player could do it all. He could jump, rebound, shoot, assist. He was the all time leading scorer for Belfry and still holds the record. Let's all give a clap for Denny Paul May.
Hawk, Finally someone such as yourself mad mention to one of (If not the BEST EVER)the GREATEST players to play in the area.(DPM).
Isn't it amazing how one person has been awarded such great talent as a player as He was the to havenhis legacy carry on the the coaching realm of Basketball.
It is totally amazing how one person(DP) could know so much basketball from the coaching perspective as he does.
I thin it is well worth the price of a ticket just to watch DP work his magic from the sidelines.
Has anyone heard which Div ! college he is preparing to take his coaching skills/talent to this upcoming season.
I know which ever college(Div1) it is they will probally be no stopping them all the way to at least the Final Four his first year.
Then look for DP to win the Big dance at least his second or third year at Div 1 level.
The panthers just DO NOT know or understand what talent is walking around the halls with DPM.
I do not recall those playing days of his. All I know is the magical and superb stories of his Belfry legacy as a player.
I can say this....If he was half the player as he is the GENERAL OF KNOWLEDGE (GOK) as a coach.. WOW what a day to have watch the master player/coach in action..
I got my tickets to Rupp if they will allow DPM to do the coaching.. As I do know all Panther fans do agree..
DPM= EXCELLENCE AS A (THE) coach.

just would like to know which Div 1 college he has in mind of coaching next season?

NY HINTS?
La Flama Blanca

Pikeville, KY

#20 Feb 13, 2013
Chip Davis....hands down.
Jeff Coleman

United States

#21 Jul 15, 2013
My dad was Carson Neil Coleman. He played at PHS in the late 40's and went on to play for Pikeville College. He often spoke of Donnis Butcher and Dickie Prater along with Charlie Huffman who was his backfield mate on the football team. We are cousins of the legend "King" Kelly Coleman. My dad had so many great stories to tell. Wow!!! So cool to find this site.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 12 min who cares 149,967
Why Are So Many People Leaving Pike County ? (May '11) 45 min Legallady 969
Hillary Clinton OUR next President (Jun '15) 45 min King James 2,581
~*~ Last Post Wins ~*~ (Aug '11) 46 min Red_Forman 7,595
Muscle on Main 1 hr Please Pass Along 33
One Hundred Jobs 1 hr Elitest Brats 14
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... (Jul '14) 1 hr IND 32,737

Pikeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pikeville Mortgages