Pike County School System

Posted in the Pikeville Forum

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Roxie

United States

#1 Aug 7, 2009
Does the Pike County Board of Education hire the best qualified teachers or do they hire teachers because of their political connections? How about principals? I have heard people laughing about the fact that certain principals were hired because of politics. What do you think?
who knows

Winchester, KY

#2 Aug 7, 2009
Roxie wrote:
Does the Pike County Board of Education hire the best qualified teachers or do they hire teachers because of their political connections? How about principals? I have heard people laughing about the fact that certain principals were hired because of politics. What do you think?
Pike County Board is doing the hiring now. The hiring is suppose to be done by the schools. I guess they need more coaches than qualified teachers.
just me

Chesterfield, MO

#3 Aug 7, 2009
I don't know about the teachers, but that's true about how they hire principals.
55yrsofwatchingi t

Jackson, KY

#4 Aug 7, 2009
Pike County has always and will always be the same..Very Political and if you are NOT in the "Clique" you are OUT!! Plain and simple.That just doesn't go for schools either.
hope

Thelma, KY

#5 Aug 7, 2009
It is probably no different here than many other small towns accross the nation when it comes to this kind of practice. We just happen to live here and gossip and some facts travel fast.
PikeNative

Ransom, KY

#6 Aug 7, 2009
hope wrote:
It is probably no different here than many other small towns accross the nation when it comes to this kind of practice. We just happen to live here and gossip and some facts travel fast.
They need to stop crying about so many of there students wanting to leave to go to Pikeville Ind. and spend some of that effort in to making there's better. Maybe then they wouldn't want to leave.
bac

Winchester, KY

#7 Aug 7, 2009
Please, everyone in Pike County knows that if you are not related to a principal or a board member you will not get hired. I know several people looking for a job, great people with a great education. THey have paid their dues as subs and as aides and still can not find a job, then someone just out of school miraculously gets a job because Mr. Wagner made a position for her. It is sad that in order to get a job you must know someone.
bac

Winchester, KY

#8 Aug 7, 2009
All jobs are suppose to be posted online via the KDE website, however this is almost never the case. And if a job is posted it is filled before it is even posted.
Read me

Mayking, KY

#9 Aug 7, 2009
Years ago at Dorton there was a teacher that didn't even have a teaching certificate but yet was able to get a job as a teacher because his wifes family had connections to the superintendent. Years went by and it finally came out that he did not possess a teaching certificate. So what do you think happened. Well anyone with any logic would think that he was fired and never heard from again but not in Pike County. He was rehired as a principal at a different school.
just me

Chesterfield, MO

#10 Aug 8, 2009
Read me wrote:
Years ago at Dorton there was a teacher that didn't even have a teaching certificate but yet was able to get a job as a teacher because his wifes family had connections to the superintendent. Years went by and it finally came out that he did not possess a teaching certificate. So what do you think happened. Well anyone with any logic would think that he was fired and never heard from again but not in Pike County. He was rehired as a principal at a different school.
I never heard about that before. It does not surprise me.
toxic lipz

Charleston, WV

#11 Aug 8, 2009
that right if you dont vote the right way you are out. i know a person that had 15 years in and he went against them in the election they made sure he did not get the 12 month job so they come up with a maintance man to so they would not have to hire him. people need to vote the superintendent in place 4 board menbers. most who votes have not got any kids in school.
Roxie

United States

#12 Aug 9, 2009
What a shame politics are put ahead of the best interest for Pike County students. What can we do to change this besides change board members? We are just as wrong as the administration is for letting this happen.
election

Winchester, KY

#13 Aug 10, 2009
Roxie wrote:
What a shame politics are put ahead of the best interest for Pike County students. What can we do to change this besides change board members? We are just as wrong as the administration is for letting this happen.
I believe that the Super.'s job should be voted on by the public. Maybe if the public voted him/her in or out, the system might be a bit more fair. I don't think that he/she should have so much power either.
site base

Macon, GA

#14 Aug 10, 2009
they put another principal at dorton. why do they need two? just make up jobs like always.
Read Me

Mayking, KY

#15 Aug 10, 2009
site base wrote:
they put another principal at dorton. why do they need two? just make up jobs like always.
From what I've heard Dorton Elementary is shrinking big time. They only have around 300 students now but yet they employ 16 teachers.
Roxie

Clarksville, TN

#16 Aug 11, 2009
Why isn't the superintendent an elected official? Teachers, principals and superintendent need to be selected by an impartial source selected by the state board of education. If we elected a superintendent it would be the same political mess that we have with board members.
Concerned mom

Clay City, KY

#17 Aug 11, 2009
site base wrote:
I'm glad they hired another one, Mr. Burke is to imature for that position, he has to have two receptionist to keep him in line. He jokes when not needed and if you ever get on his bad side he will pick on you for the rest of your life. My child was always good but I watched him mistreat others, just like Mrs. Potter, but I was always told what goes around comes around and their time is coming. I never knew how anyone could miss treat a young child.Good luck to the new principal. Dorton deserves you..
site base

Clay City, KY

#18 Aug 12, 2009
what is the point.i ask why do they need two principals
out with the old

Clarksville, TN

#19 Aug 13, 2009
superintendants are always old enough tobe retired. a younger person would be better
just me

Clarksville, TN

#20 Aug 13, 2009
Does the state board of education oversee hiring?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 min Paul 169,897
~*~ Last Post Wins ~*~ (Aug '11) 7 min texas pete 9,589
Dear Ray Jones and Amy 1 hr Your Magistrate 1
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... (Jul '14) 2 hr DUH 38,513
Pike County Loves President Trump!! 2 hr Sad 66
Are they divorcing? 3 hr Weak 4
Need a good pill doctor? 3 hr Weak 3
Ray Jones on WYMT 4 hr Suspect Ray Jones 20
Keith Faces New Charges 9 hr Amy 3

Pikeville Jobs