Commercial Airservice Is Dead
Apathetic person

Georgetown, KY

#22 May 20, 2013
Probably because there is who keeps bringing the issue up.....using the slogan of your title as a false leg to stand on.....but don't you find it strange if, well, since you are not an elected official, using the same terms, verbiage in your posts yet deny position.....I am a county person who wonders why we keep blaming the city but yet we were responsible for voting in their favor to allow this. I am curious and maybe your intelligence can answer this....what tax money from the people goes to the airport? Is it deducted from our checks? Is it property tax is divided up and a percentage goes to the airport? Please educate me how we are cheated by the city when our fiscal court approved this? Oh, just read the city got the county 846,000 for their purchase of city hall. A mil here, a mil there....aren't we about even? This is a future prediction for elections, keep fighting and I will be able to run and win....work together or get ousted.....the school board should have been an eye opener for county...
oooops

Lexington, KY

#23 May 20, 2013
if the city or county can't work together I'm sure there are going to be a lot of change come 2014 for the people.
Taxpayers cheated again

Ransom, KY

#24 May 20, 2013
Apathetic person wrote:
Probably because there is who keeps bringing the issue up.....using the slogan of your title as a false leg to stand on.....but don't you find it strange if, well, since you are not an elected official, using the same terms, verbiage in your posts yet deny position.....I am a county person who wonders why we keep blaming the city but yet we were responsible for voting in their favor to allow this. I am curious and maybe your intelligence can answer this....what tax money from the people goes to the airport? Is it deducted from our checks? Is it property tax is divided up and a percentage goes to the airport? Please educate me how we are cheated by the city when our fiscal court approved this? Oh, just read the city got the county 846,000 for their purchase of city hall. A mil here, a mil there....aren't we about even? This is a future prediction for elections, keep fighting and I will be able to run and win....work together or get ousted.....the school board should have been an eye opener for county...
I assure you I am not holding an elected office or a position of public employment.

Magistrates Harris and Anderson are far too astute and aware to post on such a useless and childish forum as you and I are doing.

The city and County have not supported the airport, but the airport, through the 'luck' and expertise of a previous board of directors, accumulated in the vicinity of eight million dollars. These monies were earmarked for future safety improvements and independent support of everyday operations without being a burdon on YOU and ME..

No municipal airport in the entire nation is self sufficient and many of us have been very proud that we 'were' a part of the ONLY one meeting that description.

Politicians realized there were funds which I am convinced were lusted for to help in their political careers.

The airport, since being politicized,m has become an eysore due to lack of interest.

Last year saw only THREE board meetings...after meeting Mayor Justice's request to transfer assets to the city. A quorum appears to be at the whim of members who are no longer interested.
who

Chesterfield, MO

#25 May 21, 2013
Was it state or federal funds that give the airport 8 million dollars? Which pocket did the money come out of the treasury and go in? Was it money taken out for work, or just transferred to a private bank account? Which taxes was going to the airport? That question was already asked, but not answered. Why not?
Taxpayers cheated again

Ransom, KY

#26 May 21, 2013
who wrote:
Was it state or federal funds that give the airport 8 million dollars? Which pocket did the money come out of the treasury and go in? Was it money taken out for work, or just transferred to a private bank account? Which taxes was going to the airport? That question was already asked, but not answered. Why not?
I wasn't aware that question had been posed.

Decades ago a large coal company made a gift of the Merian's Branch property to the Pike County airport board. It was intended to be a larger and more modern airport at a later date, and would accomodate air traffic beyond what was needed at the time. The present airport was never intended to be the permanent air facility.

The airport board sought out, located, and contracted mining companies who would did mine the coal on Merian's branch. That operation was to pay the board royalties and leave the property level and suitable for an airport much closer to Pikeville, our hospital, university, etc.. Through the many years of mining and diligent handling of contracts and royalty funds approximately 8 million dollars were placed in an account for safety and operational expenses.

I hope that answered your questions and quelled your thinly disguised accusations. The sirport has not cost the County or City. On the contrary, Rutherford wanted the money and so did mayor Justice. An unqualified board was appointed from mayor justice's cronies and the rest is well known. At least it is well known to those other than the shamefully apathetic.
Robert

Macon, GA

#27 May 21, 2013
who wrote:
Was it state or federal funds that give the airport 8 million dollars? Which pocket did the money come out of the treasury and go in? Was it money taken out for work, or just transferred to a private bank account? Which taxes was going to the airport? That question was already asked, but not answered. Why not?
None of the above. The money came from the mining of the airports property at Marions Branch. Before that money was banked none of the politicians gave the airport a second thought. But as with all politicians where there is a pot of money you will find the scum bags hovering.

At first REVENUE DIVERSION was the buzzword. At least with one politician and his sidekick on the airboard. When REVENUE DIVERSION didn't get them the money they just decided to spend it would be replaced yearly by some magical fairy.

And to the statement about rich so and so fat cats. There are guys on that hill that punch a clock everyday. The airplane they fly cost less than most SUVs going up and down 23 today. And these people prbably spend less on their passion than the average fisherman, golfer or hunter in Pike County. So before you paint with such a broad brush take a day and stop by and check it out.
wtf

Shelbiana, KY

#28 May 21, 2013
Robert wrote:
<quoted text>
None of the above. The money came from the mining of the airports property at Marions Branch. Before that money was banked none of the politicians gave the airport a second thought. But as with all politicians where there is a pot of money you will find the scum bags hovering.
At first REVENUE DIVERSION was the buzzword. At least with one politician and his sidekick on the airboard. When REVENUE DIVERSION didn't get them the money they just decided to spend it would be replaced yearly by some magical fairy.
And to the statement about rich so and so fat cats. There are guys on that hill that punch a clock everyday. The airplane they fly cost less than most SUVs going up and down 23 today. And these people prbably spend less on their passion than the average fisherman, golfer or hunter in Pike County. So before you paint with such a broad brush take a day and stop by and check it out.
What in the hell does that have to do with the big lie about Commercial Air Service?
Robert

Macon, GA

#29 May 21, 2013
It has to do with the whole stinking story of the mayor and his mouthpiece over at ANE blowing smoke up the publics behind when every pilot on that field agreed that we would not see it. The newly appointed board, made up of not a single pilot, blew the smoke for Frankie also. Now the mayor, the ANE and the airport Chairman have all failed to inform the public about this.

Actually since Frankie added his hand picked board all that they have done is spend and blow.

This post in its entirety is my opinion and should be considered just that, an opinion.
observer

Hansford, WV

#30 May 21, 2013
I think Bill Hickman, Little frankie, Vanderbeck and Donovan Blackburn, four wannabes who know absolutely NOTHING about aviation should be run out of town and never allowed to be around Eastern Kentucky again. EVERY qualified aviator I know in the area told those fools a 'commercial' airliner deal was a childish waste and foolhearted ruination of what we had been so proud of.

The airport is a disgrace with garbage looking vehicles parked right by the entrance. Weeds waste deep around that junk and a big abusive spotlight burning into the eyes of anyone approaching the entrance at night. Deer and elk are running amok and threatening the lives of travelers.

The board couldn't care less and have proven it by failing to even show up for scheduled meetings.(only THREE during the entire year of 2012)and rumor has it they won't have a quorum again this month. I think there have only been two again this year.

When they do show up they've done NOTHING but waste what has been strongly circulated to be around $4,000,000.00 and are still throwing it around like a bunch of drunken sailors.
who

Drift, KY

#31 May 22, 2013
Taxpayers cheated again wrote:
<quoted text>Apathetic people such as yourself is what's wrong with Eastern Kentucky. Politicians who have larceny on their minds or very little intelligence just absolutely LOVE you.
Apathy on the part of such as you is why a politician got by with taking a fortune from the taxpayers through underhanded, backdoor dealings with UMG and is still sitting in his plush political office with vulgar perks..
Apathy on the part of taxpayers in Eastern Kentucky is widely blamed on ignorance and stupidity. Is that how you want to be seen? It's exactly what your post denotes.
Apathetic people such as you neither know nor care that MILLIONS of taxpayer dollars are changing hands with little or no oversight.
This post states that millions of dollars in taxpayer money was taken.
Taxpayers cheated again wrote:
<quoted text>I wasn't aware that question had been posed.
Decades ago a large coal company made a gift of the Merian's Branch property to the Pike County airport board. It was intended to be a larger and more modern airport at a later date, and would accomodate air traffic beyond what was needed at the time. The present airport was never intended to be the permanent air facility.
The airport board sought out, located, and contracted mining companies who would did mine the coal on Merian's branch. That operation was to pay the board royalties and leave the property level and suitable for an airport much closer to Pikeville, our hospital, university, etc.. Through the many years of mining and diligent handling of contracts and royalty funds approximately 8 million dollars were placed in an account for safety and operational expenses.
I hope that answered your questions and quelled your thinly disguised accusations. The sirport has not cost the County or City. On the contrary, Rutherford wanted the money and so did mayor Justice. An unqualified board was appointed from mayor justice's cronies and the rest is well known. At least it is well known to those other than the shamefully apathetic.
This one states no tax money was used. Is it that you are just against the government? What is your biggest complaint, no pilots are on the board? New hangers are built, what is your beef exactly? Come up with something you are against and stick with it. It will help you in the long run if you complain and do enough ground work to get things done. The more you jump for reason to reason, the more it sounds like you just have a grudge.
observer

Hansford, WV

#32 May 22, 2013
That's ridiculous. If it's the best you can come up with I suggest you withdraw from the discussion.
observer

Hansford, WV

#33 May 22, 2013
UMG and the airport are two separate entities. Got it?

Credibility is earned and you have yet to accomplish that. Twisting and spinning the truth on a little country forum makes you look very silly.
Revenue Diversion

Macon, GA

#34 May 22, 2013
Very simple. If you owned Merions Branch would you sell it for the lowest apprasial? Would you? Especially if the lowest was ONE MILLION and the largest was THREE MILLION? But you political sucks approve the less one as lone as you get yours. Cheap a$$ handout hacks.
observer

Hansford, WV

#35 May 22, 2013
Any astute 'observer' wouldn't even question the existence of motives and back door dealings if they just read the glowing accolades, gracious 'thank you's', and praises heaped upon Bill Hickman by Donovan Blackburn after the deal went through. Hickman and his suspiciously picked board had granted Blackburn's request, gone against all obvious reason and sold the property to the city for something like 1/3 it's appraised value.

If Hickman had been even half way interested in the future and well being of the airport, which he has been entrusted with, I don't think Blackburn would have been thanking him and heaping lavish praises upon him for cutting the city such a vulgar deal at the expense of the airport. Who's side is/was good ol Billy Hickman on? The airport or Little Frankie?

I was actually embarrassed for Donovan Blackburn demonstrating such an obligation to another man. It sure makes me wonder what was possibly in it for Bill Hickman.
Peter Pan Airlines

Shelbiana, KY

#36 Jul 4, 2013
Donnie B said there would be 3 Airlines at Pikeville International and Screeners and Security.
Now it appears that he was dreaming of Peter Pan and Tinkerbell.
A High School Diploma does not make you educated Donnie.
Asian Air Wines

Shelbiana, KY

#37 Jul 28, 2013
The City is negotiating with Asian Air to try and get them to schedule Flights in to Hatcher International Airport. The Departing Flights should be fine but the Incoming could get bumpy as they are known for ejecting Passengers a little too quickly.

But it is unlikely that any of those unlucky Passengers will be run over by a Pikeville Fire Truck, unless they lay on the Runway for more than 35 Minutes.

This is your Captain speaking "Howy Fuke".
Wee Wike Wice

Shelbiana, KY

#38 Jul 28, 2013
The Commercial Air Service will feature Hibachi Meals prepared at your First Class Seat by Chef Hung Wong and special Rice Wines will be served like "Wets Get It On" and "Wong Dong 20/20".

In Flight Movies will be free to all with great offerings like "Horrywood Swingers", "Gone With The Wock", and "Cowboy Weigh".

Your Stewardess Miss Wan Sum Soon will be more than happy to attend to your every need.

Enjoy your Fwight.
Expo Failure

Shelbiana, KY

#39 Jul 30, 2013
Commercial Air Service is like the Expo in the City's hands, dead.
Nailed

Shelbiana, KY

#40 Aug 5, 2013
Robert wrote:
It has to do with the whole stinking story of the mayor and his mouthpiece over at ANE blowing smoke up the publics behind when every pilot on that field agreed that we would not see it. The newly appointed board, made up of not a single pilot, blew the smoke for Frankie also. Now the mayor, the ANE and the airport Chairman have all failed to inform the public about this.
Actually since Frankie added his hand picked board all that they have done is spend and blow.
This post in its entirety is my opinion and should be considered just that, an opinion.
You nailed it.
Go Go Boy

Shelbiana, KY

#41 Aug 7, 2013
observer wrote:
Any astute 'observer' wouldn't even question the existence of motives and back door dealings if they just read the glowing accolades, gracious 'thank you's', and praises heaped upon Bill Hickman by Donovan Blackburn after the deal went through. Hickman and his suspiciously picked board had granted Blackburn's request, gone against all obvious reason and sold the property to the city for something like 1/3 it's appraised value.
If Hickman had been even half way interested in the future and well being of the airport, which he has been entrusted with, I don't think Blackburn would have been thanking him and heaping lavish praises upon him for cutting the city such a vulgar deal at the expense of the airport. Who's side is/was good ol Billy Hickman on? The airport or Little Frankie?
I was actually embarrassed for Donovan Blackburn demonstrating such an obligation to another man. It sure makes me wonder what was possibly in it for Bill Hickman.
Donnie B said that 3 Airlines were chomping at the bit to locate at Pikeville International Airport. He said there would be 5 Flights per Day 5 Says per Week.

That is more than 1000 Flights per Year.

Go Donnie B go!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Twyla Fausnaugh and Angela Certain (Aug '15) 1 hr 404 not found 80
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr Safeguard 163,265
sexual predators. 5 hr 4198nunn 2
My wife has huge jugs 6 hr Turnip 2
Hillary Clinton OUR next President (Jun '15) 7 hr investigating 4,393
FBI Transportation Cabinet Version 2017 8 hr Amy 137
Trump The Idiot 9 hr ardith 15

Pikeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pikeville Mortgages