Commercial Airservice Is Dead

Posted in the Pikeville Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Not Suprised

Jackson, KY

#2 May 16, 2013
This was about as close to reality as all of the middle income housing once touted to be built up at Marions Branch.

The ANE fanned the flames of this story for some time. The story added hope to the public about being able to fly somewhere without driving first to Lexington, Huntington, Charleston, Tri Cities or Louisville. Even though they failed to rell the public that most of them couldn't afford this pie in the sky. Think about if folks if Lexingtons numbers are down as a result of the locals driving to Louisvillle for cheaper airfares how can a start-up with no competition out of Pikeville be competitive? The record proves that most people in the Tri-Cities area travel to Knoxville for airservice because of the savings.

So this pie in the sky offered up by the airport Chairman, Mayor and the folks at ANE is just that. Pie in the sky.

And Jeff is always talking about Wayne blowing smoke up the publics behind. How about some equal print for this story that you have failed to even mention in your paper?
Dead

Corbin, KY

#3 May 16, 2013
It was all a Hoax anyway.
Common Sense

Jackson, KY

#4 May 16, 2013
Like the common Joe could afford a flight even if it did happen.

The first two years were going to be paid for by the taxpayer regardless if a seat was filled or not . Then we would see the last flight out of Pikeville two years later along with some easy money paid by the taxpayers.

If this ever worked would you pay 400.00 to 500.00 to get to Charlotte? Now the Fat Cat politicians and lawyers might. And that is exactly what this was about in my opinion.
observer

Summersville, WV

#5 May 16, 2013
That childish pipe dream was already an embarrassment to the more astute citizens of Pike County and surrounding area.

Many frequent travelers testified about the fallacy and waste, but Little Frankie, Donovan Blackburn, Ray Jones, Jr. and a few of their lap dogs must have seen some way to profit anyway from the money they would be throwing around.

The Pikeville/Pike County Municipal airport was a model for the nation and had been called the "Jewell of Appalachia" till Bill Hickman, law partner of Sen. Ray S. Jones, jr. was appointed by Little Frankie to transfer property to him. That man with his inept and childish waste has ruined the airport, which is a tarnished, nasty, junked up mess and practically unrecognizable now.

BILL HICKMAN....If you were any man at all you would lower your head in shame and leave that hill with what you have on your back. NEVER show your face again in circles where people are aware of what you have done wrong and failed to do right. That covers EVERYTHING you have done since being politically appointed to a position you had NO idea about and were/are totally incompetent.

You transferred the Merion's branch property to Little Frankie as you were put there to do....Now go away and don't force us to look at you again after the horrible travesty you have committed.

Your 'second', Rick Keene, probably loves you, but he is on our "s" list too. Does he charge %100.00 an hour and $.51 a mile to come shine your shoes? Do WE pay for that too?

BILL HICKMAN...AGAIN: YOU, sir, are an embarrassment to the entire Eastern Kentucky region!
dunadd

Greensboro, NC

#6 May 16, 2013
on commercial airservice? Darn, that means i'll have to drive from Pikeville to Grundy. what's this world coming to?
Crash and Burn

Corbin, KY

#7 May 16, 2013
Well the damn thing was always more like a mountain top airstrip in Vietnam, good for an emergency only air strip or local pilots to fly in and out of. Never should have been a dime of coal severance wasted on it and there never needs to be anymore wasted up there on that strip job.

Franky can use his boat to ferry people to Ashland, can get you that far on the Big Sandy. Get us back to the days we were a river town and flat boats/pole boats carried supplies and people up and down the Big Sandy!
dunadd

Greensboro, NC

#8 May 16, 2013
wait a minute pal. what you mean a mountain top airstrip in Nam? there's a strip in Nam? come to think about it, i heard from the boys there were a lot of strips in Nam. Wait a minute, how come all the strips in Nam, according to what the boys tole me, how come all those strips in Nam were female strips and not male strips. oh that's right. before show and tell or is it dont tell, dont ask, no i think its dont ask dont tell or some such thang. could it be they were meaning air strips. those things are for planes, right? they tell me a lot of the strips in Nam didnt have no grass or was it hair, Now why would anyone want hair on a airstrip. maybe they said harestrip. geez, i gotta go chill. later.
Old Dude

United States

#9 May 16, 2013
dunadd wrote:
on commercial airservice? Darn, that means i'll have to drive from Pikeville to Grundy. what's this world coming to?
As someone who has flown from Pikeville to Grundy more than once I assure you that little trip is a true adventure. There's nothing like missing an approach there on a hot day and making a go around and feeling your plane sinking as you struggle to gain a positive rate of climb after you run out of runway and fly over the cliff at the end of it. That's true excitement.
I fear this government

Pikeville, KY

#10 May 16, 2013
Old Dude wrote:
<quoted text>As someone who has flown from Pikeville to Grundy more than once I assure you that little trip is a true adventure. There's nothing like missing an approach there on a hot day and making a go around and feeling your plane sinking as you struggle to gain a positive rate of climb after you run out of runway and fly over the cliff at the end of it. That's true excitement.
It's especially scary when a 182 with a 0-470 spinning an 84 incher has trouble climbing. You been there, done that. Congrats, my friend. We have been scared,but it was NOT some low powered punk with a tendency to talk to much about things he knows nothing about.
Dead

Pikeville, KY

#11 May 17, 2013
I fear this government wrote:
<quoted text>It's especially scary when a 182 with a 0-470 spinning an 84 incher has trouble climbing. You been there, done that. Congrats, my friend. We have been scared,but it was NOT some low powered punk with a tendency to talk to much about things he knows nothing about.
It never was anything but a Hoax.
observer

Summersville, WV

#12 May 17, 2013
Dead wrote:
<quoted text>It never was anything but a Hoax.
I agree. I was not the only one who warned against listening to a high priced 'consultant' and a low classed city manager telling us how a HUGE college town did have success.

Anyone with even a little intelligence in the matter knew Donovan and his cronies were just plain full of sh*t and appeared to have ulterior motives for championing such a stupid idea.
observer

Summersville, WV

#13 May 19, 2013
Donovan Blackburn has run his mouth on PIKE TV more than everyone else combined.

WHY have I not heard even ONE word about the recent failure of his pipe dream super dooper big city jet airliner service?

Where is that big ol airplane, Donovan? TELL US!!!! WHERE is the airplane Donovan?

Were you and Little Frankie outright LYING about it all along?

Where is all that money NOW, DONOVAN? WHERE is the MONEY????
I Am Shocked

Pikeville, KY

#14 May 19, 2013
Where is Vanderbeck and the ANE now? They beat the drum loudly when Frankie and Donavon need to give the pubic some B.S. Editorials and write ups proclaiming we would soon all be jetsetter. Just drive up Ray Jones Road and pay the man working the Donavon Blackburn Terminal and then take of on the Frankie Justice Runway into the wild blue yonder.

But with the information provided by the airport chairman it seems that a month ago the service was DOA. Let me clarify. It appears that the airservice as we hoped for is not going to happen. Where are Frankies little puppets now? Not a peep from the ANE. The public is curious but it ain't news until Frankie decides it news apparently.

This entire post is but my opinion and the comments are not offered as pure fact. Please do your own research to determine the facts.
All Lies

Pikeville, KY

#15 May 20, 2013
I Am Shocked wrote:
Where is Vanderbeck and the ANE now? They beat the drum loudly when Frankie and Donavon need to give the pubic some B.S. Editorials and write ups proclaiming we would soon all be jetsetter. Just drive up Ray Jones Road and pay the man working the Donavon Blackburn Terminal and then take of on the Frankie Justice Runway into the wild blue yonder.
But with the information provided by the airport chairman it seems that a month ago the service was DOA. Let me clarify. It appears that the airservice as we hoped for is not going to happen. Where are Frankies little puppets now? Not a peep from the ANE. The public is curious but it ain't news until Frankie decides it news apparently.
This entire post is but my opinion and the comments are not offered as pure fact. Please do your own research to determine the facts.
Donnie B is the mouth piece for the fraud and corruption of the City of Horrors and Intimidation.
Taxpayers cheated again

Pikeville, KY

#16 May 20, 2013
observer wrote:
Donovan Blackburn has run his mouth on PIKE TV more than everyone else combined.
WHY have I not heard even ONE word about the recent failure of his pipe dream super dooper big city jet airliner service?
Where is that big ol airplane, Donovan? TELL US!!!! WHERE is the airplane Donovan?
Were you and Little Frankie outright LYING about it all along?
Where is all that money NOW, DONOVAN? WHERE is the MONEY????
Poor ol slack jaw donovan, vanderbeck and Little frankie are just TOOOO stupid to come up with an answer.
They have been caught and have no way out of this one.
who

Jonancy, KY

#17 May 20, 2013
It all comes down to this. I am willing to bet that 99% of the people in this county don't give a crap about the airport. It would be save to say that I bet 95% of the people here only knows where the sign is on the 4 lane that says airport ->. It would also be safe to say that 95% of the people that lives in this county have never even been to it. I know my 95% sounds high, but I bet it is higher than that. I just wanted to get it low instead of high. NO ONE CARES ABOUT THE AIRPORT EXCEPT FOR A HANDFUL OF PEOPLE.
Taxpayers cheated again

Pikeville, KY

#18 May 20, 2013
who wrote:
It all comes down to this. I am willing to bet that 99% of the people in this county don't give a crap about the airport. It would be save to say that I bet 95% of the people here only knows where the sign is on the 4 lane that says airport ->. It would also be safe to say that 95% of the people that lives in this county have never even been to it. I know my 95% sounds high, but I bet it is higher than that. I just wanted to get it low instead of high. NO ONE CARES ABOUT THE AIRPORT EXCEPT FOR A HANDFUL OF PEOPLE.
Apathetic people such as yourself is what's wrong with Eastern Kentucky. Politicians who have larceny on their minds or very little intelligence just absolutely LOVE you.

Apathy on the part of such as you is why a politician got by with taking a fortune from the taxpayers through underhanded, backdoor dealings with UMG and is still sitting in his plush political office with vulgar perks..

Apathy on the part of taxpayers in Eastern Kentucky is widely blamed on ignorance and stupidity. Is that how you want to be seen? It's exactly what your post denotes.

Apathetic people such as you neither know nor care that MILLIONS of taxpayer dollars are changing hands with little or no oversight.
Apathetic person

Richmond, KY

#19 May 20, 2013
Taxpayers cheated again wrote:
<quoted text>Apathetic people such as yourself is what's wrong with Eastern Kentucky. Politicians who have larceny on their minds or very little intelligence just absolutely LOVE you.
Apathy on the part of such as you is why a politician got by with taking a fortune from the taxpayers through underhanded, backdoor dealings with UMG and is still sitting in his plush political office with vulgar perks..
Apathy on the part of taxpayers in Eastern Kentucky is widely blamed on ignorance and stupidity. Is that how you want to be seen? It's exactly what your post denotes.
Apathetic people such as you neither know nor care that MILLIONS of taxpayer dollars are changing hands with little or no oversight.
This same person you are downgrading is the truth of how you feel about the people of this county.....BUT....this county person also voted you in magistrate....go figure, we agree on something...LOL
who

Jonancy, KY

#20 May 20, 2013
I don't think our taxpayer money should be used at the airport. I think there is more important things it can be spent on besides something for a few select to have a little added luxury. Why not use that money for people to have water, sewer, better roads, guardrails, anything besides something for a select few. If the airport cant stand on it own, it should be shut down. Period. Let the rich people who wish to park a airplane there do the upkeep and use our tax dollars for things that are more seriously needed
Taxpayers cheated again

Pikeville, KY

#21 May 20, 2013
Apathetic person wrote:
<quoted text>
This same person you are downgrading is the truth of how you feel about the people of this county.....BUT....this county person also voted you in magistrate....go figure, we agree on something...LOL
I suppose it could fit certain desires to expose me as a Magistrate. It must be really pressing on suspicious minds that no one other than those we see speaking their piece on Pike TV actually care what is happening.

I don't hold you in contempt for your inaccurate accusation because that is the way of 'the system' in Eastern Kentucky.

I am definitely NOT a politician. I am definitely NOT interested in holding an office considering the embarrassing way our politicians are, and have been, using an elected office to better themselves personally.

Would you care, PLEASE, tell me why you assume I am an elected official?

Could it be because I was right in saying MOST are apathetic, so if anyone speaks up they are considered to be just indicating "sour grapes"?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 7 min HistoricallySpeaking 136,238
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... (Jul '14) 21 min uncle apostle 25,950
Cassandra ? 35 min Woo 3
a good man 37 min Prospect 9
Add a word, Drop a word (May '10) 44 min living dead girl 24,069
Word Association (Aug '11) 59 min Red_Forman 6,332
ppikeville medical electrical workers 1 hr lady 2
Glenn Martin Hammond ran over woman 2 hr jenny wiley 6
PC Board Battle Royale 11 hr Insanity 93
More from around the web

Pikeville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]