what happen to the days of being able...

what happen to the days of being able to feed your family on one income

Posted in the Pikeville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
old timer

Pikeville, KY

#1 May 1, 2014
Just miss the days when we could go out to the store and get say a 100 dollars of food and it last for a few weeks, now of days ort don't last a few days, and our pay don't go up when grocery prices do. Seems. To get harder day to day.
garden lady

Thelma, KY

#2 May 1, 2014
old timer wrote:
Just miss the days when we could go out to the store and get say a 100 dollars of food and it last for a few weeks, now of days ort don't last a few days, and our pay don't go up when grocery prices do. Seems. To get harder day to day.
That is part of the reason I am planting a garden. We have to do what we can to help ourselves and our family.Salaries are not going to keep up with the increasing prices of food,gas and utilities.
good news and bad

Ashland, KY

#3 May 1, 2014
With the current rate of inflation,decrease in the value of us currency,declining car market due to prices,housing prices collapsing,property ownership decreasing due to all taxes,upkeep,etc. I don't think it will take very much longer for the American economy to fail? We have way too much corruption,failing court system and no way to house,feed and stable these devastating factors. The United States is without a doubt a time bomb waiting to implode. So the economy will get a reboot after everyone starves a few years at the hands of todays tyrants ! But all of us,including those tyrants will all pay that price. Its just too bad no one ever pays attention to all the obvious signs and tries to change the outcome. It just gets worse everyday with no sign of slowing.
old timer

Pikeville, KY

#4 May 2, 2014
You are right it shows mo sign of stopping, but yet we have the power to stop it all we need to do is vote them out of power, make a clean sweep in Washington let the people voices be herd again.
Republicans Are Stupid

Shelbiana, KY

#5 May 2, 2014
old timer wrote:
You are right it shows mo sign of stopping, but yet we have the power to stop it all we need to do is vote them out of power, make a clean sweep in Washington let the people voices be herd again.
Just vote out all Republicans then you wil be "herd"

Lmfao
Lmfao

Kansas City, MO

#6 May 2, 2014
Republicans Are Stupid wrote:
<quoted text>Just do like I do and move in with a fat woman and her kids and mooch off of their foodstamps.
Lmfao
Lmfao
old timer

Pikeville, KY

#7 May 2, 2014
Not just the Republicans but the Democrats are as much to blame to you may think it is funny but you raise 3 kids on min wage with no help, and pay for a home bet you can't do it an stay sain enough to hold down 2 jobs.
uninformed idiot

United States

#8 May 2, 2014
old timer wrote:
Not just the Republicans but the Democrats are as much to blame to you may think it is funny but you raise 3 kids on min wage with no help, and pay for a home bet you can't do it an stay sain enough to hold down 2 jobs.
No, it pretty much is just the republicans. Yesterday's bite on increasing the minimum wage, every single dem voted for the raise, all but one republican voted no and killed it.

They also (the republicans) voted to decrease benefits for veterans.

It amazes me that these corrupt assholes get any votes at all other than the top 3% that they support.

They are destroying out country systematically and fast, and people are still stupid, or scared, enough to keep voting for them. Need I remind everyone of the definition if insanity?
Republicans Are Stupid

Shelbiana, KY

#9 May 5, 2014
old timer wrote:
the Republicans voted down the Minimum Wage increase and voted to cut Military Veterans Benefits.
good news and bad

Ashland, KY

#10 May 5, 2014
old timer wrote:
you're very right but with power comes corruption and money. The proper authority figures in this nation need to step up an effort to punish people in charge. Instead of starting at the bottom and working up? They need to start at the top and work down. People leading by example will help the efforts in change and cut the work load on the legal system. If they keep those pressures on our leaders? I really believe a better nation would prevail through respect of the laws. Blunt force does nothing but creates chaos,anger and eventually revolution so to speak. But yes voting for new people regardless of political offilation is a really good start.
Lmfao

Kansas City, MO

#11 May 5, 2014
Republicans Are Stupid wrote:
<quoted text>If Obama would only come to Bob Amos for me.I would love him and pet him,and squeeze him and call him lover boy.
Lmfao
Historian

South Fulton, TN

#12 May 5, 2014
The problem is in the way wealth is now distributed in America. Too much of it is in the hands of the very very very rich few at the top and not enough in the hands of everybody else. There is a simple, proven in practice for 40 years solution: put the steeply progressive tax rates that were in force from 1940 to 1980 back in force, tax the rich, and redistribute the wealth back down through the whole economy by spending on infrastructure (what we have was build during that time and is wearing out and/or antiquated and needs to be replaced), education, health care, etc. That will create jobs that pay good wages, just like the tax-and-spend policies in effect from 1940 to 1980 did.

Cutting taxes on the wealthy and cutting spending will not fix the problem. It will only make it worse.
restore freedom

Georgetown, KY

#13 May 5, 2014
Get the government out of the way. Reduce the size of our government. Begin only one program and that is to cure all the millions who fell face first into a pile of donkey shit, got struck by lightning and bitten by a rabid dog all at the same time.

Since: May 14

Location hidden

#14 May 5, 2014
Sadly most homes now dont have two parents. And even if they do, the good paying jobs are so scarce and daycare is so expensive.
If you add up what you are earning compared to what it costs in daycare expense and gas, and other expenses that sometimes working for the second parent costs more than you make.
We live in an area where the man is expected to be the bread winner, but its becoming more difficult for men to find a job where he can earn as much as he needs to stay above water and support a stay at home wife.
Women do earn more in some jobs, I would encourage any wife and mother to go back to school and get a nursing or some other medical degree.
awake

Pikeville, KY

#15 May 5, 2014
uninformed idiot wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it pretty much is just the republicans. Yesterday's bite on increasing the minimum wage, every single dem voted for the raise, all but one republican voted no and killed it.
They also (the republicans) voted to decrease benefits for veterans.
It amazes me that these corrupt assholes get any votes at all other than the top 3% that they support.
They are destroying out country systematically and fast, and people are still stupid, or scared, enough to keep voting for them. Need I remind everyone of the definition if insanity?
Do you honestly think minimum wage increase will change anyone's financial situation, more jobs will be lost and price's of everything will increase those who make minimum wage will not be any better off than they are now even if given $10.00 per hour and those who made a little over it will be worse off. If you think making minimum wage is bad wait until your making nothing because your employer shut down. this is the facts that most people don't want to hear but you know it's true
old timer

Versailles, KY

#16 May 6, 2014
We all need to go out and vote to make the changes that need to be made to take this country back and let the people run it!!!!!!!!!

Location hidden

#17 May 7, 2014
Thats good in theory old timer. But I think theres already too much corruption. They all have learned all the tricks and they all have back door deals going. Money is the only thing that gets done.
Historian

Cadiz, KY

#18 May 7, 2014
Highway_Woman wrote:
Sadly most homes now dont have two parents. And even if they do, the good paying jobs are so scarce and daycare is so expensive.
If you add up what you are earning compared to what it costs in daycare expense and gas, and other expenses that sometimes working for the second parent costs more than you make.
We live in an area where the man is expected to be the bread winner, but its becoming more difficult for men to find a job where he can earn as much as he needs to stay above water and support a stay at home wife.
Women do earn more in some jobs, I would encourage any wife and mother to go back to school and get a nursing or some other medical degree.
You have some good points, but until the "too much wealth at the top" structure of the economy is remedied, it probably wouldn't do your womenfolk much good to get a nursing or other medical degree. That is because real wages in those fields are falling too -- falling faster than the cost of getting the education to do the job costs. They would emerge from school with a degree, a huge student loan debt, and poor job prospects.

Location hidden

#19 May 7, 2014
Historian wrote:
<quoted text>
You have some good points, but until the "too much wealth at the top" structure of the economy is remedied, it probably wouldn't do your womenfolk much good to get a nursing or other medical degree. That is because real wages in those fields are falling too -- falling faster than the cost of getting the education to do the job costs. They would emerge from school with a degree, a huge student loan debt, and poor job prospects.
it still beats working at walmart or the dollar store, as far as financially i mean.
old timer

Versailles, KY

#20 May 7, 2014
We need to get everyday people to run for public office, that is my opinion

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anyone Know Who Sells Diet Plan Called V3? 3 min Pikeville Parent 15
Michael Flynn Resigns 1 hr Investigate Trump 10
Trump Skips WH Dinner 1 hr Trump Is Childish 1
Why Are So Many People Leaving Pike County ? (May '11) 1 hr Who Is Gopher 1,027
Hillary Clinton OUR next President (Jun '15) 1 hr Laughing At Trump 3,830
Ford In Mexico 2 hr Already Gone 15
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr Mickey402 159,592
Jackies Parking Lot 2 hr Rock To The World 33
Jacky D. Smith and COUNTY WASTE 11 hr What A Mess 47

Pikeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pikeville Mortgages