The REAL truth about Judge Darrel Mullins

Posted in the Pikeville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Recovered

United States

#1 Feb 11, 2011
I've been reading the thread about Judge Mullin's wife working for a local dr's office, and the ridiculous things being posted there about her and the Judge.

I am a recovering drug addict. I was addicted to Oxycontin, Heroin, and just about any opiate I could get my hands on for close to 20 years. I was using I.V. drugs for over 10. I lied, cheated,and stole and more, and lost everything I had more than once.

I went to jail so many times, it felt normal to me. I was in bad, bad shape, I was the worst of the worst.

Through all this, of course I came into contact with Judge Mullins, Judge Friend, all of them. I was finally sent to prison, after numerous attempts by many to help me. Judge Mullins went over and beyond the call of duty to try and help me out of that hole. He tried tough love (30 days for a nothing charge, boy was I mad, not to mention all those other sentences, but that really was harsh), he tried understanding, he tried every new and old method he could think of. But, I was determined to destroy myself.

To make a long story short,The judges and there were a few others in and around the court systems who I won't mention here that ultimately got me to where I am today. I am a college student, getting ready to graduate, own my own busines, and bought a nice home a few years ago. I KNOW those jail sentences saved my life.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago. The cycle is trying to repeat itself with my son. I went to the Judge, and it was amazing how far this man went to help me and my family. Thanks to him and the juvenile court, my son is now doing ok. We HAVE broke the cycle. Not me,all of these people working together, with the help of God, of course.

I'm sure if I put my REAL name on here, there'd be a whole lot of you who know who I am. You would also know that I speak the truth, no one ever thought someone like me could not only survive addiction but PREVAIL over it.

Judge Mullins is a angel to addicts. Bottom line. When your child is like I was, you will be agreeing to that. Of course, they are going to get pissed at him. I hated this man every time I got sentenced. BUT, when and if those people ever get recovery,I promise, you will be thanking him for even caring enough to do something.

Judge Mullins, if you read this, don't let them get to you ever. You ARE fighting the good fight and it IS making a difference.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#2 Feb 11, 2011
I am with you more than you'll even know. I didn't shoot up. However, the rest of your story is alot like mine. Even 30 days for a nothing charge. I am thankful too. Thankful to be alive on this day. There's so many that don't get to live thru it.
meanlady

Garrettsville, OH

#3 Feb 11, 2011
they're everywhere, he must not be helping that much.
Good Man

Winchester, KY

#4 Feb 11, 2011
and I like him but thank god he cut that stupid hair!....lol..He looked like an old granny woman when he walked in in his robes!...lol

Just kidding, he found his niche in life! Pike county is lucky to have him in that job! He will give a young person a break but if you come back in the second time and try to make a fool of him he will lower the boom.

Fair and impartial, caring when he can be within the limits of the law.
one toe

Williamson, WV

#5 Feb 12, 2011
he can have you laughing while he is lowering the boom
agree

Elkhorn City, KY

#6 Feb 13, 2011
i think judge mullins is a very good judge and yes he does try to help people he is in my opinion the only one down there that will listen to someone he is trying to fight the war against drugs and his wife is handing out prescriptions for narcotics all day where she works
Wolf

Virgie, KY

#7 Feb 13, 2011
Recovered wrote:
I've been reading the thread about Judge Mullin's wife working for a local dr's office, and the ridiculous things being posted there about her and the Judge.
I am a recovering drug addict. I was addicted to Oxycontin, Heroin, and just about any opiate I could get my hands on for close to 20 years. I was using I.V. drugs for over 10. I lied, cheated,and stole and more, and lost everything I had more than once.
I went to jail so many times, it felt normal to me. I was in bad, bad shape, I was the worst of the worst.
Through all this, of course I came into contact with Judge Mullins, Judge Friend, all of them. I was finally sent to prison, after numerous attempts by many to help me. Judge Mullins went over and beyond the call of duty to try and help me out of that hole. He tried tough love (30 days for a nothing charge, boy was I mad, not to mention all those other sentences, but that really was harsh), he tried understanding, he tried every new and old method he could think of. But, I was determined to destroy myself.
To make a long story short,The judges and there were a few others in and around the court systems who I won't mention here that ultimately got me to where I am today. I am a college student, getting ready to graduate, own my own busines, and bought a nice home a few years ago. I KNOW those jail sentences saved my life.
Fast forward to a couple of years ago. The cycle is trying to repeat itself with my son. I went to the Judge, and it was amazing how far this man went to help me and my family. Thanks to him and the juvenile court, my son is now doing ok. We HAVE broke the cycle. Not me,all of these people working together, with the help of God, of course.
I'm sure if I put my REAL name on here, there'd be a whole lot of you who know who I am. You would also know that I speak the truth, no one ever thought someone like me could not only survive addiction but PREVAIL over it.
Judge Mullins is a angel to addicts. Bottom line. When your child is like I was, you will be agreeing to that. Of course, they are going to get pissed at him. I hated this man every time I got sentenced. BUT, when and if those people ever get recovery,I promise, you will be thanking him for even caring enough to do something.
Judge Mullins, if you read this, don't let them get to you ever. You ARE fighting the good fight and it IS making a difference.
You mentioned you stole. Did you do this to support your habit?

Have you paid back the people you stole from? I sure hope so. If not, you're not much better now than you was then.
just me

Elkhorn City, KY

#8 Sep 25, 2012
oh Lord if someone is trying to straighten up and im not defending anyone give him time to rite his wongs. there are soo many people in this area that have problems and just be proud that just one, just one has the guts and the nerve to make a new life. judge mullins is a child hood friend of mine and he is tough sometimes and like some one else said, he can sentence someone with a smile one his face but the smile is there because he know s that the 30 days he is giving will dry them out and he sees SOMETHING in that person that makes it worthwhile to hiimself, the person that is going to jail and his family. he is a wonderful person.
really

Elkhorn City, KY

#9 Sep 26, 2012
He tries, but drugs are still getting in that jail. They stick them in their private parts for petes sake.It has been in the paper. I've also heard that the ones on work release bring it in,in their privates. They need to be checked when they return to the jail in my opinion.
really

Elkhorn City, KY

#10 Sep 26, 2012
He can't do it all himself.
Old dude

Pikeville, KY

#11 Sep 26, 2012
really wrote:
He tries, but drugs are still getting in that jail. They stick them in their private parts for petes sake.It has been in the paper. I've also heard that the ones on work release bring it in,in their privates. They need to be checked when they return to the jail in my opinion.
I'll be happy to come in and check the lady's out if they need any help !
Good Judge

Clay City, KY

#12 Sep 26, 2012
Just keep after the king pins and the top tier drug dealers, the people bringing it in. It is a dead expense to keep a person in jail so they try to get them back into the work force. Jail is not always the answer but can be part of the carrot and the stick. Sometimes one to six months may get their attention so they listen a little better. May be the time needed to get them off drugs and break the cycle.

I don't know of anyone else that could handle the situation with more compassion and thoughtfulness. Anybody can just slam the gavel and hand out hard time, it takes a person that is a good judge of people to know who to try to help and those so incorrigible that hard time is what is needed to protect society from them. I went to school with the man, he has always been a quality person and destined to serve in such an important capacity.
The Truth

London, KY

#13 Oct 1, 2012
Judge Mullins isn't nothing but a lowlife piece of trash ! He doesn't deserve to be where he is right now , because with him the real judge Mullins it not who you know it who you blow . I know this for myself because he has screwed me over and I did nothing for him to . To me the best judge you have in Pikeville is Kelsey Friend Jr.
Mel

Frankfort, KY

#14 Oct 2, 2012
Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
You mentioned you stole. Did you do this to support your habit?
Have you paid back the people you stole from? I sure hope so. If not, you're not much better now than you was then.
I'm sure if he could pay them back he would, but if he couldn't, that doesn't mean he isn't a better person. My brother has had drug problems most of his life, he has stolen from me countless times. In fact, I doubt if he could ever pay back all he has taken from me. He is in prison now, but if he would straighten himself up and get off drugs and make a good life for himself, I could care less if he ever pays me back. Being off drugs and being a good person would be payment enough.
Sour Grapes

Clay City, KY

#15 Oct 2, 2012
The Truth wrote:
Judge Mullins isn't nothing but a lowlife piece of trash ! He doesn't deserve to be where he is right now , because with him the real judge Mullins it not who you know it who you blow . I know this for myself because he has screwed me over and I did nothing for him to . To me the best judge you have in Pikeville is Kelsey Friend Jr.
You do the crime, you do the time, must have caught him on a bad day!

Best stay out of his court room and you won't have nothin to bitch about...
Jas McKnight

Gibsonia, PA

#16 Feb 25, 2013
I've known Darrel Mullins since college days (1968). That's a lot of sunsets, folks. He has only changed for the good over the many years. Darrel has always been honest, fair, forgiving, wise, musical, funny, and caring. The worst thing I can say about him is that he has always been a better guitar player than I have.
Besides having poor grammar, the fellow who referred to Judge Mullins as "a lowlife piece of trash!" is also a piss poor judge of character. He claims to have been screwed over by my honorable friend. I guess this happened when he was brought before the judge. The last time I was summoned to appear before a judge, I was found guilty of MY wrongdoing and sentenced to probation of a year. Did the judge screw me? Hardly, I deserved an even worse sentence than I received. Something tells me this guy is in the same jam and refuses to face reality. That way he can remain blameless. Don't believe him. I've got 44 years of knowing Darrel Mullins that tells me his critic is entirely WRONG about the good judge. Honest. Have I ever lied to you before?
always was

United States

#17 Feb 25, 2013
I go way back with Darrel (anyone remember HHS)? He was always a cool cat, good to everyone, and I will always like the ole boy, the former Hellier Hellcat.
sad

Clay City, KY

#18 Feb 25, 2013
i think hes kinda hawt! i dont even know why?! who is his wife anyway?
LOL

Pikeville, KY

#19 Feb 28, 2013
he was harsh with me but the sentence i had didnt even feel like one. i had a lot goin on and he let me leave the house while on H. arrest. hes awesome
muscian

Elkhorn City, KY

#20 May 30, 2013
I would stand beside this man and watch his back, lord knows he's watched mine. Some of you know me some don't either way like they say if you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything.Is he heaven sent. no , is he god, no. he's just a man trying to the best things he can. Don't judge him he's already been judged enough, just know behind every thing he dose has a meaning to it not now but one day you will be saying oh I see it now if not for you then some one you love. Proud to be his friend. DH

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... (Jul '14) 18 min POSER 26,786
judge Combs 21 min Full of themselves 62
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 41 min Paula 137,687
wanderer 2 hr wanderer 2
Johnny Tackett of Long Fork 2 hr Mr Tea 1
go fund me , has got ridiculous, and stupid . 2 hr opinion 6
John Doug Hayes (Jan '12) 2 hr Fact 31
More from around the web

Pikeville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]