Do you think teachers should be certi...
Truth is

United States

#21 Feb 8, 2011
Funny wrote:
<quoted text>No, every teacher does not have to be certified. Some get a one year provisional teaching certificate through the MATS program. They are not fully certified teachers. This area has several of them some in your district. This program is a disgrace and should be stopped. It is a slap in the face to people who have gone through grad school and cannot get a teaching position. Teachers are under paid and over worked. Not a good field to be in.
Well my question is do the under qualified make the same pay as the teachers who grad. They do need to get them out of the classrooms they say they do not have any one putting in for these positions and they have to hire what comes in. Does that really send a all about the kids education to you. It does not to me. Nothing but the children's education will pay for them hiring people that do not hold certification. These teachers we have that hold their certification and went to college for these jobs are being ripped off. They do get underpaid and if they pay these non certified teachers certified teachers pay it should be against the law and the teacher that is not certified should have to pay back those wages if she/he does not have a certification. Pay these teachers substitute teachers pay. Not the pay for a Certified teacher. Because it is not fair to our Teachers that has went to college for this and is working to teach our children. It is ashame and a disgrace that the Board is nothing but looking out for family of family and leaving out our children. Parents need to ask questions and get involved if your child is in preschool call the preschool director and ask questions if your child is in k-8 call the board and ask them these records are public. Any certification type held in the state of Ky is PUBLIC record. ASk you will be surprised at your answer.
whatever

Elkhorn City, KY

#22 Feb 8, 2011
Funny wrote:
<quoted text>No, every teacher does not have to be certified. Some get a one year provisional teaching certificate through the MATS program. They are not fully certified teachers. This area has several of them some in your district. This program is a disgrace and should be stopped. It is a slap in the face to people who have gone through grad school and cannot get a teaching position. Teachers are under paid and over worked. Not a good field to be in.
To start with the MAT program is a graduate program. I completed my masters through Morehead and it is a good program.
explain

Martin, KY

#23 Feb 8, 2011
Truth is wrote:
<quoted text>Well my question is do the under qualified make the same pay as the teachers who grad. They do need to get them out of the classrooms they say they do not have any one putting in for these positions and they have to hire what comes in. Does that really send a all about the kids education to you. It does not to me. Nothing but the children's education will pay for them hiring people that do not hold certification. These teachers we have that hold their certification and went to college for these jobs are being ripped off. They do get underpaid and if they pay these non certified teachers certified teachers pay it should be against the law and the teacher that is not certified should have to pay back those wages if she/he does not have a certification. Pay these teachers substitute teachers pay. Not the pay for a Certified teacher. Because it is not fair to our Teachers that has went to college for this and is working to teach our children. It is ashame and a disgrace that the Board is nothing but looking out for family of family and leaving out our children. Parents need to ask questions and get involved if your child is in preschool call the preschool director and ask questions if your child is in k-8 call the board and ask them these records are public. Any certification type held in the state of Ky is PUBLIC record. ASk you will be surprised at your answer.
All public teachers' certification documents can be viewed online. If a teacher is hired in an area in which he/she is not certified in, it is because it is sort of special area and they are hired at a lower rank because they haven't been certified in that area yet. This means they get less pay. The board can only do this if there is nobody else available to fill the position who is certified to teach it. Also, the teacher who is hired to teach it (at lower pay) is expected to begin taking classes for certification in that area of study. There is no promise that this teacher will be rehired. Therefore, most teachers do NOT want a position like this, considering graduate classes begin at $1000.00 per credit hour and most of them are worth 3-4 credit hours. Now, to answer your question. Yes, all teachers MUST be certified to teach in the state of Kentucky public schools! They all have teaching degrees and have all graduated college. All certifications are public knowledge.
Truth is

United States

#24 Feb 8, 2011
Oh yes there have / was applications passed up to keep teacher's like this in a classroom. This is a shame our children pay for it. Not you nor I but our children and yes I know you can look them up on line. but some parents do not have internet and they need to call the board and ask or the school's and ask if the teachers are certified. It is all about favoritism and who you know that works there if you get the job or not. Come on everybody in their right mind knows that. Why is Pike county so different from Floyd county Floyd county does not allow double dipping why does Pike County? If you teach in Floyd county you can not coach if you teach you can't drive a bus. Why so different in Pike county. We have good schools in Pike county why hire these NON-certified teachers and allow them to teach while going and or taking classes. The certificate should already be in the person's hands before ever considering them for the job. not give the job and years later get the certificate.
hello

Georgetown, KY

#25 Feb 8, 2011
explain wrote:
<quoted text>
All public teachers' certification documents can be viewed online. If a teacher is hired in an area in which he/she is not certified in, it is because it is sort of special area and they are hired at a lower rank because they haven't been certified in that area yet. This means they get less pay. The board can only do this if there is nobody else available to fill the position who is certified to teach it. Also, the teacher who is hired to teach it (at lower pay) is expected to begin taking classes for certification in that area of study. There is no promise that this teacher will be rehired. Therefore, most teachers do NOT want a position like this, considering graduate classes begin at $1000.00 per credit hour and most of them are worth 3-4 credit hours. Now, to answer your question. Yes, all teachers MUST be certified to teach in the state of Kentucky public schools! They all have teaching degrees and have all graduated college. All certifications are public knowledge.
A person in the MAT program CAN be hired over a certified teacher, and certified people apply for the job, too.
Truth is

Pineville, WV

#26 Feb 9, 2011
I have been told that by a lot of people. Looks like they could get in trouble for discrimination. If someone puts in for the position and Holds more degrees than the one in school.
awake

Harold, KY

#27 Feb 9, 2011
Stan and Kyle wrote:
<quoted text>
Ditto. Heck yes. I don't want stupid or unqualified people teaching children. It is a real profession that should pay better to qualified people.
Haven't you been paying attention to the kids these schools have been turning out.being certified don't make one a good teacher our schools have proven this. No they shouldn't have to be certified but they should be someone who knows how to get a childs attention and make learning a little more interesting to get these childred involved in there studies.attention spans these days are short you must have someone who can mix things up and pull these kids away from there texting or your wasting time and tax payer dollars.
Sorry to all the teachers i just made mad but the truth will stand when everything else has fallen.
Truth is

Pineville, WV

#28 Feb 9, 2011
We are not talking about high school kids we are referring to the primary teaching of a child's learning. Sorry to burst your bubble it all starts in the younger years of a child's life. It takes a damn good teacher and a great set of parents working together to have a child succeed in life. It does not take one to shake things up to get results. You must be the very one i am referring to. Teachers that are not certified should not be in charge of 20 children and some with special needs that the teacher certainly knows nothing about. You answer me this if you take a child to a preschool to get a education Would you leave your child in the care of someone not Certified. It should be the law that the parents are told if they are just a sub or if they are just this year enrolled in getting a certificate?
Laughing

Pikeville, KY

#29 Feb 9, 2011
trachermhs wrote:
who cares the school system has piss poor record in this nation,u know the old saying can't do nothin else be a teacher/public servant.
I have never heard that saying. You are an idiot. You know how much education is required to be a teacher don't you. You do realize how many test they must pass after college to get a certificate. Sorry all of us can't be coal truck drivers, miners,or SSI check drawers. I am sure you fit in one of these categories.
Laughing

Pikeville, KY

#30 Feb 9, 2011
whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
To start with the MAT program is a graduate program. I completed my masters through Morehead and it is a good program.
Yes, it is a grad program. However, you did not have any kind of undergraduate degree in education. First, the board has to sign a statement that they cannot find a qualified teacher in the area,(this is a joke).
Then, you can sign up for two classes in the Mat program and walk in the classroom and start teaching without every completing the first education class. Now that is fact. Real teachers get an undergraduate in Education and then get the Masters. Those who have an undergraduate in ed are by far more qualified than those in the Mat program. There are far too many qualified teachers to have anyone teaching in the MAT program. The program was implemented for areas who could not find teachers. This area is not one of them. I do not want any Mat teacher teaching my child. I want a teacher who at least has passed the Praxis exams, has teaching methods classes etc. This program is simply a political program. Any school system caught using this program and hiring under this program, when a certified teacher applied for the job is breaking the regulations.
Laughing

Pikeville, KY

#31 Feb 9, 2011
awake wrote:
<quoted text>
Haven't you been paying attention to the kids these schools have been turning out.being certified don't make one a good teacher our schools have proven this. No they shouldn't have to be certified but they should be someone who knows how to get a childs attention and make learning a little more interesting to get these childred involved in there studies.attention spans these days are short you must have someone who can mix things up and pull these kids away from there texting or your wasting time and tax payer dollars.
Sorry to all the teachers i just made mad but the truth will stand when everything else has fallen.
I have never heard anything so stupid in my life. You have no idea what it takes to be a teacher.
Laughing

Pikeville, KY

#32 Feb 9, 2011
hello wrote:
<quoted text>
A person in the MAT program CAN be hired over a certified teacher, and certified people apply for the job, too.
That is where you are wrong. You really need to go on the Ky Education Website and read the requirements for hiring a teacher under the Mat program. It plainly states NO OTHER CERTIFIED PERSON CAN BE FOUND FOR THE POSITION. Anyone can read the requirements all they have to do is "google it". They are very clear.
Laughing

Pikeville, KY

#33 Feb 9, 2011
Truth is wrote:
I have been told that by a lot of people. Looks like they could get in trouble for discrimination. If someone puts in for the position and Holds more degrees than the one in school.
They certainly can. But, if the position is not announced, then no certified person knows about it.
well

Pikeville, KY

#34 Feb 9, 2011
awake wrote:
<quoted text>
Haven't you been paying attention to the kids these schools have been turning out.being certified don't make one a good teacher our schools have proven this. No they shouldn't have to be certified but they should be someone who knows how to get a childs attention and make learning a little more interesting to get these childred involved in there studies.attention spans these days are short you must have someone who can mix things up and pull these kids away from there texting or your wasting time and tax payer dollars.
Sorry to all the teachers i just made mad but the truth will stand when everything else has fallen.
It's ok, I'm not a teacher and I am not mad. But the real issues start at home and a concerned parent would be involved in the lives of their child. A teacher cannot do everything. Teachers usually only have a kid in class for part of the year. And mixing things up, teach your kid to pay attention and expand their horizons beyond a text message. Don't blame a teacher. The truth will stand.
finally

Pikeville, KY

#35 Feb 10, 2011
Unions are a good thing usually, but with teachers its a very bad thing. Its hard as hell to fire bad teachers, so the bad ones get to stick around and the ones that pay are the kids.
Teacher here

United States

#36 Feb 10, 2011
Let me start by saying teacher bashing is at an all time high at the present time. Having said that, a certified teacher should be hired if there is one available. I am pretty sure that is the case. If not, then a non-certified person can be hired.

They do not make as much as a certified teacher. Teacher salaries are staggered by Rank. Also, any teacher can be fired if the principal is willing to do the paper work. Politics is your biggest problem in education and always will be. It's the principal's job to hold every teacher accountable. Where I teach, my principal does a great job in making sure we are doing ours.

Personally, I wouuld never walk into my classroom without delivering my best effort. The students deserve that. There are some "bad" teachers. A good principal makes sure they get better. If the newly hired teacher is not improving by year four it's most likely time to move them out.

The teachers who are in the profession for other reasons are a problem too. A lot of our coaches "sandbag" in the classroom. Not all, but many. I will say there are coaches who take pride in being a good teacher. But that area is very political.

Teachers are getting a bad "rap." And many people may think they have a right. The problem I have with it is, if you don't have a point reference, then you shouldn't be criticizing. In other words, you need to walk in our shoes for a few days. I can assure you in the twenty-five years I have put in, the stress level and the bar has been raised ten-fold or more. The paper work, time restraints, test expectations and low pay is exhausting and lowering morale among us.

We deal with a change about every four years. That requires hours of professional development, like we are going through right now. I often wonder if China is laughing at the United States. If we could go over there and observe the asian approach to education, we might learn something. Education is stressed at an early age, parents are involved and they go to school much longer than their american counterparts. No nonsense in the approach.

I chose this noble profession because I love the kids and believe I can make a difference. I could have chosen a higher paying profession. And I will say, I have growing concerns in the direction education is going. But I will defend the profession. The majority of my collegues are in for the right reasons.
hello

Georgetown, KY

#37 Feb 10, 2011
Laughing wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, it is a grad program. However, you did not have any kind of undergraduate degree in education. First, the board has to sign a statement that they cannot find a qualified teacher in the area,(this is a joke).
Then, you can sign up for two classes in the Mat program and walk in the classroom and start teaching without every completing the first education class. Now that is fact. Real teachers get an undergraduate in Education and then get the Masters. Those who have an undergraduate in ed are by far more qualified than those in the Mat program. There are far too many qualified teachers to have anyone teaching in the MAT program. The program was implemented for areas who could not find teachers. This area is not one of them. I do not want any Mat teacher teaching my child. I want a teacher who at least has passed the Praxis exams, has teaching methods classes etc. This program is simply a political program. Any school system caught using this program and hiring under this program, when a certified teacher applied for the job is breaking the regulations.
You are wrong about the board not being able to get a certified teacher. Twenty years ago, your statement was correct. I am a certified teacher, and I called the Dept. of Education about this matter. I was told that a person in the mat program could be hired over a certified person in education. I was asking about Special Education. I was like you at the time. I did not believe that a person with a degree in education could be hired over a certified person. I don't agree with it. If you don't believe me, call the dept. of education and ask yourself. You will most certainly be surprised.
Truth is

Pineville, WV

#38 Feb 10, 2011
I am quite sure there have been qualified teachers put in for this and some teachers have been laid off that are more qualified to teach this position. I agree that all the board is politics heck when we lost our principal to take on the position he know holds at the board half of our staff went with him to the board. Is that right? No but it is based on who you know if you get the job or not. It is a shame that they can hire who ever they want and it is LAW they must be certified. There are more Certified teachers out here for the position and if they would advertise they would find someone. They only advertise on their website. So how do they expect people to know there is a job available? I urge any teacher that has a Certification to go the Pike county board and put in for the Preschool position at Johns Creek Elementary they are taking applications until February 24th 2011. Because we need a teacher We need one that cares about the welfare of other children and their safety. We need one that will teach our children right from wrong certainly not one that is not Certified.
Truth is

Pineville, WV

#39 Feb 10, 2011
hello wrote:
<quoted text>
You are wrong about the board not being able to get a certified teacher. Twenty years ago, your statement was correct. I am a certified teacher, and I called the Dept. of Education about this matter. I was told that a person in the mat program could be hired over a certified person in education. I was asking about Special Education. I was like you at the time. I did not believe that a person with a degree in education could be hired over a certified person. I don't agree with it. If you don't believe me, call the dept. of education and ask yourself. You will most certainly be surprised.
It is amazing how the Laws in Frankfort and the Laws at the board are different. How? Answer me that. Frankfort Department of Education says that a Certified teacher hold the position we as parents sit back and take it that the board tells the truth about who they hire. The Pike county board is supposed to hire the Certified teacher over the just starting the program teacher. They hire these people in a Lead teachers position and they probably lie about the Certified teachers that has applied for the job just because of the one teaching is someone 's family member. Well my family means a lot to mean and I will not give up until this teacher is replaced or moved out of our school to another one.
Truth is

Pineville, WV

#40 Feb 10, 2011
Current Openings:: Certified
Issue Date: Thursday, January 27, 2011
Advertisement Period: Thursday, January 27, 2011 - Friday, February 25, 2011
Application Deadline: 5:00:00 PM, Friday, February 25, 2011
Advertised No.:
Print
VACANT POSITION
TITLE Teacher - Preschool
Johns Creek Elementary
This is a Certified Position
QUALIFICATIONS Must have a KY Professional Certificate for Interdisciplinary Early Childhood Education, birth to primary
SALARY RANGE See Certified Salary Schedule in the Finance Department

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pikeville basketball 8 min Alumni 270
~*~ Last Post Wins ~*~ (Aug '11) 43 min Red_Forman 7,111
Booher exposes himself! 56 min tell us 13
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr Reason 148,107
Bill Hickman 1 hr Light of Day Coming 14
Judge Combs Redux (May '15) 1 hr Light of Day Coming 190
Hillary Clinton OUR next President (Jun '15) 1 hr One Eyed Willy 1,761
Ray Jones for Hillary Clinton 7 hr Not Nice 99
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pikeville Mortgages