Coal Scholarship is Fraud Plan B

Coal Scholarship is Fraud Plan B

Posted in the Pikeville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Emile Zola

United States

#1 Feb 9, 2013
This bill is nothing but an attempt to bolster the enrollment of UPIKE. Remember they first wanted to use coal severance money to purchase UPIKE as a state university. That didn't work so they are now trying Plan B . Although the bill offer money to student using local extension campus or community colleges on the region it will not cover costs if a student from a coal producing region wants to go for instance to the main campuses of UK, Morehead , and EKU . Remember UPIKE started out as Pikeville College ............
wtf

Elkhorn City, KY

#2 Feb 9, 2013
Emile Zola wrote:
This bill is nothing but an attempt to bolster the enrollment of UPIKE. Remember they first wanted to use coal severance money to purchase UPIKE as a state university. That didn't work so they are now trying Plan B . Although the bill offer money to student using local extension campus or community colleges on the region it will not cover costs if a student from a coal producing region wants to go for instance to the main campuses of UK, Morehead , and EKU . Remember UPIKE started out as Pikeville College ..........
So what? You think it is a bad thing for coal taxes to educate our Children right here???
coal

Richmond, KY

#3 Feb 9, 2013
Emile Zola wrote:
This bill is nothing but an attempt to bolster the enrollment of UPIKE. Remember they first wanted to use coal severance money to purchase UPIKE as a state university. That didn't work so they are now trying Plan B . Although the bill offer money to student using local extension campus or community colleges on the region it will not cover costs if a student from a coal producing region wants to go for instance to the main campuses of UK, Morehead , and EKU . Remember UPIKE started out as Pikeville College ..........
And your point is __________
AMJ

Winchester, KY

#4 Feb 9, 2013
wtf wrote:
<quoted text>So what? You think it is a bad thing for coal taxes to educate our Children right here???
they should fix the roads.they have destroyed.help the state out a little.
Emile Zola

Winchester, KY

#5 Feb 9, 2013
Pikeville College could have opened the doors to coal miner families years , heck decades ago but it didn't now Pikeville College seeks to expand by using the Coal Severance Taxes. So when Pikeville College's doors were shut to coal
Miners kids. Pikeville College didn't want hillbillies or coal camp kids up on the hill. Now that Pkkeville College needs money they have it only now very suitable to name a building the coal building and recruit miner families to their school but the tuition is so high, Pikeville College won't lower it so they are trying to open the Coal Severance tax to help EKY kids to go Pikeville College. Humm so now let's look at history when Pikevile College didn't want the hillbillies and coal camp kids , Morehead, EKU and UK accepted our children. Ask yourself this why can't it be enough that the kid be from a coal producing area an use the scholarship money to ANY school they wish. Why does the money have to tied to UPIKE. This bill is a betrayal of all coal mining families. There should be no restrictions, absolutley no restrictions whatsoever , a kid from EKY should be able to spen that money at any they College they choose it their right. The only way for coal families to be redeemed is for this version of th bill to fail and for a non restricted use of money type scholarship be passed. Miner families should have the freedom of choice where to send their children.
wtf

Elkhorn City, KY

#6 Feb 9, 2013
AMJ wrote:
<quoted text>they should fix the roads.they have destroyed.help the state out a little.
Let me see Education or Pavement......which is more important.
Student

Jackson, KY

#7 Feb 9, 2013
Emile Zola wrote:
Pikeville College could have opened the doors to coal miner families years , heck decades ago but it didn't now Pikeville College seeks to expand by using the Coal Severance Taxes. So when Pikeville College's doors were shut to coal
Miners kids. Pikeville College didn't want hillbillies or coal camp kids up on the hill. Now that Pkkeville College needs money they have it only now very suitable to name a building the coal building and recruit miner families to their school but the tuition is so high, Pikeville College won't lower it so they are trying to open the Coal Severance tax to help EKY kids to go Pikeville College. Humm so now let's look at history when Pikevile College didn't want the hillbillies and coal camp kids , Morehead, EKU and UK accepted our children. Ask yourself this why can't it be enough that the kid be from a coal producing area an use the scholarship money to ANY school they wish. Why does the money have to tied to UPIKE. This bill is a betrayal of all coal mining families. There should be no restrictions, absolutley no restrictions whatsoever , a kid from EKY should be able to spen that money at any they College they choose it their right. The only way for coal families to be redeemed is for this version of th bill to fail and for a non restricted use of money type scholarship be passed. Miner families should have the freedom of choice where to send their children.
You are the definition of an uneducated idiot. Back then, Pikeville College hardly had enough students to even have classes. Under Paul Patton, the school enrollment has boomed and now that we have a medical school here in Pikeville, more students want to go to school here at home. Problem is they can't afford $18,000 tuition. Upike becoming a state school gives high a school graduates here the chance to go here if they would like. They still have a choice to go wherever they'd like. This doesn't take all the coal severance money. Do the research. It's beyond me why people in our area are against the growth of their own region and agains the education of high school graduates. Times have changed. The old Pikeville College you keep referencing is gone and Upike is here 8 can't wait till that bill to become a state school is tried again this session and passes. We should all the doing everything we can to help students who want to stay home or come to Pikeville to go to school do so. That way they aren't forced to go halfway across the sate because they can't afford to stay here.
Emile Zola

Winchester, KY

#8 Feb 9, 2013
Who is Emile Zola, just google my name. I have exposed one traitor already, I'm on the verge of exposing the other traitors. Statesmenship in EKY is without backbone, therefore I exist.
Emile Zola

Winchester, KY

#9 Feb 9, 2013
Wiki Quote : " to enlighten those who have been kept on the dark, the name of humanity which has suffered so much is entitled to happiness" Emile Zola or how about the " truth is on the march and nothing can stop it - if you shut up truth and even bury underground it will but grow " .
Emile Zola

Winchester, KY

#10 Feb 9, 2013
Student wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the definition of an uneducated idiot. Back then, Pikeville College hardly had enough students to even have classes. Under Paul Patton, the school enrollment has boomed and now that we have a medical school here in Pikeville, more students want to go to school here at home. Problem is they can't afford $18,000 tuition. Upike becoming a state school gives high a school graduates here the chance to go here if they would like. They still have a choice to go wherever they'd like. This doesn't take all the coal severance money. Do the research. It's beyond me why people in our area are against the growth of their own region and agains the education of high school graduates. Times have changed. The old Pikeville College you keep referencing is gone and Upike is here 8 can't wait till that bill to become a state school is tried again this session and passes. We should all the doing everything we can to help students who want to stay home or come to Pikeville to go to school do so. That way they aren't forced to go halfway across the sate because they can't afford to stay here.
Exactly, they can't afford to stay here you offer an admission in your response that does not serve or support the bill. The reason kids can't stay here is because Pikeville College tuition is too high. Exactly my point if Pikevile College really really wanted the kids from here it would have lowered the tuition long long ago but it did not. Now in the form of UPIke having the same old wrinkles just a little more make up on the façade, its still just old Pikeville College. The Coal Mining Families Challenge UPIke to lower it's tuition to the amount of the Schlorship specified in the bill. And to ensure that past equities are addressed why not charge less for students coming from coal producing counties and hike up the tuition for all other students coming from else where. Since UPIke is a private institution it can do that. Kinda strange don't ya think that UPIke wants the state and all others to put up but UPIke comes to the table without any concessions - WHY , I will explain later.
Student

Tucker, GA

#11 Feb 9, 2013
Emile Zola wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly, they can't afford to stay here you offer an admission in your response that does not serve or support the bill. The reason kids can't stay here is because Pikeville College tuition is too high. Exactly my point if Pikevile College really really wanted the kids from here it would have lowered the tuition long long ago but it did not. Now in the form of UPIke having the same old wrinkles just a little more make up on the façade, its still just old Pikeville College. The Coal Mining Families Challenge UPIke to lower it's tuition to the amount of the Schlorship specified in the bill. And to ensure that past equities are addressed why not charge less for students coming from coal producing counties and hike up the tuition for all other students coming from else where. Since UPIke is a private institution it can do that. Kinda strange don't ya think that UPIke wants the state and all others to put up but UPIke comes to the table without any concessions - WHY , I will explain later.
You babble along and nothing that makes sense comes out. Upike can't simply lower tuition if they want to. The price of tuition is how much it costs to run the college. UK, EKU, and the other state schools' tuitions would be just as high if they didn't have state money. Use your brain, it's in your head somewhere.
quiet resspect

Thelma, KY

#12 Feb 9, 2013
Student wrote:
<quoted text>
You babble along and nothing that makes sense comes out. Upike can't simply lower tuition if they want to. The price of tuition is how much it costs to run the college. UK, EKU, and the other state schools' tuitions would be just as high if they didn't have state money. Use your brain, it's in your head somewhere.
They do not seem to understand what a private college or university means. Private means that they get no state assistance. EKU, and UK are state schools funded by the STATE. That is why their tuition is less than UPIKE. The other state schools did not want another state school as they feared it would impact their own funding. Subsequently the decision was made to offer coal scholarships instead to the students of eastern Kentucky.

I know you understand what happened; but some don't seem to understand what led to UPIKE's scholarship program.
Student

Martin, KY

#13 Feb 9, 2013
quiet resspect wrote:
<quoted text>They do not seem to understand what a private college or university means. Private means that they get no state assistance. EKU, and UK are state schools funded by the STATE. That is why their tuition is less than UPIKE. The other state schools did not want another state school as they feared it would impact their own funding. Subsequently the decision was made to offer coal scholarships instead to the students of eastern Kentucky.

I know you understand what happened; but some don't seem to understand what led to UPIKE's scholarship program.
I agree, these posters have no clue what they're talking about. They think UPIKE's tuition can be as low as state schools but that they just choose to raise it. That is complete bull crap and they know it. They're either playing dumb or they are literally that stupid, and that concerns me.
you got to be kidding

Grundy, VA

#14 Feb 10, 2013
20,000 + dollars a year to go to Pikeville? What a joke now they want to try to figure a way to get Tax money to foot the bill.
Student

Jackson, KY

#15 Feb 10, 2013
you got to be kidding wrote:
20,000 + dollars a year to go to Pikeville? What a joke now they want to try to figure a way to get Tax money to foot the bill.
Tuition is $18,000 not 20+. And yes they do, because we should have a public, state-funded, school here in eastern Kentucky. That way high school graduates from our area can get an affordable education here at home. The tuition isn't high right now because they just want it to be. That high tuition is how much it costs to run a college without help from the state. Go do some research.
Potential student

Elkhorn City, KY

#16 Feb 10, 2013
Does the COAL severance scholarship cover the costs of tuition and books in full? Is income a factor in eligibility?
the big one

Pikeville, KY

#17 Feb 10, 2013
The stupidity of some of you people is outrageous. Education is the most important factor in society. Without it, we are nothing more then a second rate nation such as Austria or Poland. UPike gives more opportunities in this state than any other college, you can get scholarship money for just about everything. If your kids aren't, then it's probably your fault. Those tests you took in high school actually do matter, You get KEES money just for keeping a 2.0 GPA in high school. If you couldn't get a 2.0, you probably don't need to be in college. Maybe that is just my social darwinist side talking, but we don't need to waste money on people who couldn't pass high school algebra.
the big one

Pikeville, KY

#18 Feb 10, 2013
Student wrote:
<quoted text>
Tuition is $18,000 not 20+. And yes they do, because we should have a public, state-funded, school here in eastern Kentucky. That way high school graduates from our area can get an affordable education here at home. The tuition isn't high right now because they just want it to be. That high tuition is how much it costs to run a college without help from the state. Go do some research.
Instate full tuition is $21,550. Not calculating other expenses.
FYI

Martin, KY

#19 Feb 10, 2013
the big one wrote:
<quoted text>Instate full tuition is $21,550. Not calculating other expenses.
I go there, your information is completely incorrect.
Student

Martin, KY

#20 Feb 10, 2013
the big one wrote:
<quoted text>Instate full tuition is $21,550. Not calculating other expenses.
http://www.upike.edu/Admissions/Financial-Aid...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 30 min Raju 149,854
God bless Donald trump !!!!! 39 min Vote Trump 37
Why Are So Many People Leaving Pike County ? (May '11) 40 min Math 964
Shame Shame Democrats Fart In 46 min Miss Toilet 1
Baby Daddy???? 1 hr grab bag 6
p'villes hot cruizing spot 1 hr grab bag 4
Paul Patton Statue 1 hr Despising Patton 10
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... (Jul '14) 10 hr Uncle Tom 32,719

Pikeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pikeville Mortgages