It's The Straight Eight-Tease Thread

It's The Straight Eight-Tease Thread

Posted in the Pikeville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“PROUDLY PUNKING MODS & TROLLS ”

Since: May 13

FOR 1/2 A DECADE!!!

#1 Oct 6, 2013
Yep, that is what it is. Share something from the 1980's with us be it a song, a band, a film, a fad/trend, or an event/story, whatever just as long as it's something directly related to or prevalent within the 80's! Here's my intro..

When I was in High School I was always the same music fanatic I am today and as such, I was into
many bands long before anyone in the regular mainstream heard of them. This first band is one of
those early finds of mine and I recall going to a party one time and having this band's early demo-type release on a cassette which I got playing for the party attendees. About two songs in some of the
local girls came over and complained about the music and how they did not like it one bit and took
the cassette out of the player and bemoaned "I don't know who this "metal leak uh" (way she pronounced the band's name) is but they suck, they're just awful.." Little did the dunce realize that
what she was hearing was the legendary band we know as METALLICA back in time when no one
hardly even knew who they were or even existed, LOL! Here is one of those 2 songs I got by
with playing...

"Whiplash" - Metallica

“229 Strong”

Since: Nov 11

Climax, Kentucky

#2 Oct 6, 2013
MTV was THE best thing to happen in the 80's, and every new band/artist I was exposed to, I latched onto. Here's a prime example, and should fit this thread to a tee....

http://youtu.be/B0uxOn1K8uc

"Eighties"

Killing Joke

“229 Strong”

Since: Nov 11

Climax, Kentucky

#3 Oct 6, 2013
New Wave, Alternative, College Music.....whatever it was, it was awesome.....

http://youtu.be/nZqdH2PxLWE

"I'm Sorry"

Straight Eight

“PROUDLY PUNKING MODS & TROLLS ”

Since: May 13

FOR 1/2 A DECADE!!!

#4 Oct 7, 2013
Musikologist wrote:
MTV was THE best thing to happen in the 80's, and every new band/artist I was exposed to, I latched onto. Here's a prime example, and should fit this thread to a tee....
http://youtu.be/B0uxOn1K8uc
"Eighties"
Killing Joke
You know, to be industrially-tinged Proto-Metal legends, I've just never been able to get into Killing Joke, MC. Hell, nor have I with Skinny Puppy either, a band with same type of labeling. No, when it came to dark, industrial-tainted music THIS band awakened me to what could be aurally done in such confines: GODFLESH. Godflesh was belched from the Birmingham, England wasteland in the late 80's and their 2nd album, the title track of which is linked here with it's images of Hell from the film "Altered States" gracing it's cover artwork, changed me forever. I actually saw them with a bill featuring Danzig and Type O Negative in the early 90's before Godflesh officially disbanded in the mid-90s. Good news is they have recently reformed with new music planned..reforming is pretty easy for them since there's just two members, one of which is former Napalm Death vocalist Justin Broaderick.

"Streetcleaner" - Godflesh

“229 Strong”

Since: Nov 11

Climax, Kentucky

#5 Oct 7, 2013
The thing about Industrial music, as other genres, there's different types. This band was a precursor to say, Nine Inch Nails in my opinion.....

http://youtu.be/fzpFymqOVTU

"Getting Closer"

Nitzer Ebb

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#6 Oct 8, 2013
The music in the 80's was awesome. When you brought up Metallica, it made me think of Enter Sandman. Anyway, I think that was early 90's, but the cool thing is my teenage metal head son has that song on his phone and we listened to it together yesterday in the car.
So my official 80's memory is hanging out the sunroof of a Mercedes singing along with Kiss. lol It seemed like every other car had either t-tops or a sunroof.

“PROUDLY PUNKING MODS & TROLLS ”

Since: May 13

FOR 1/2 A DECADE!!!

#7 Oct 8, 2013
Musikologist wrote:
The thing about Industrial music, as other genres, there's different types. This band was a precursor to say, Nine Inch Nails in my opinion.....
http://youtu.be/fzpFymqOVTU
"Getting Closer"
Nitzer Ebb
That's another band I'm pretty unfamiliar with except in name, MC. Here's one of the
earliest Industrial Bands I recall and they became active on the mid-80s.

"Kickin' Ass" - KMFDM

Dixie-me wrote:
The music in the 80's was awesome. When you brought up Metallica, it made me think of Enter Sandman. Anyway, I think that was early 90's, but the cool thing is my teenage metal head son has that song on his phone and we listened to it together yesterday in the car.
So my official 80's memory is hanging out the sunroof of a Mercedes singing along with Kiss. lol It seemed like every other car had either t-tops or a sunroof.
Oh yeah, Dixie..my 1987 Camaro RS had T-tops and KISS was a staple in the cassette player although they'd begun their horrid 80's phase like the god-awful "Crazy Nights" lp and this terrible, terrible track from it was really popular for some reason:

"Let's Put The X In Sex" - Kiss

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“229 Strong”

Since: Nov 11

Climax, Kentucky

#8 Oct 8, 2013
Well Patrick, my next post was gonna be a KMFDM tune but you beat me to the punch, lol.

I had a 1984 Buick Regal with T-Tops, and I listened to Hair Metal bands galore in it.

Like this..........

http://youtu.be/FSUXdWCq5kk

“229 Strong”

Since: Nov 11

Climax, Kentucky

#9 Oct 8, 2013
Patrick and Dixie....

Do either of you remember Ministry's first album?

It was a Dance/New Wave record, lol.

http://youtu.be/_aHIT9tiiks

"I Wanted To Tell Her"

Ministry

“PROUDLY PUNKING MODS & TROLLS ”

Since: May 13

FOR 1/2 A DECADE!!!

#10 Oct 9, 2013
Musikologist wrote:
Patrick and Dixie....
Do either of you remember Ministry's first album?
It was a Dance/New Wave record, lol.
http://youtu.be/_aHIT9tiiks
"I Wanted To Tell Her"
Ministry
Their first two lps (With Sympathy and Twitch) were straight up Dance/New Wave Techno just as you said, MC. It was not until the late 80s, 1988 in fact that Ministry morphed into a much heavier, darker tone with The Land Of Rape And Honey and of course, this track which I remember so well..

"Stigmata" - Ministry

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#11 Oct 9, 2013
Musikologist wrote:
Patrick and Dixie....
Do either of you remember Ministry's first album?
It was a Dance/New Wave record, lol.
http://youtu.be/_aHIT9tiiks
"I Wanted To Tell Her"
Ministry
My musical taste wasn't that fabulous in the 80's. I was listening to this kind of stuff...


Don't hate me. ;)

“PROUDLY PUNKING MODS & TROLLS ”

Since: May 13

FOR 1/2 A DECADE!!!

#12 Oct 9, 2013
Dixie-me wrote:
<quoted text>
My musical taste wasn't that fabulous in the 80's. I was listening to this kind of stuff...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =o41A91X5pnsXX
Don't hate me. ;)
Hate you??! Pssh, I have always freaking liked Adam Ant (i.e. Adam & The Ants)! He/they were one of my fave acts in the 80s along with this guy below. In fact,
before I grew my hair long as it is to this day, I had the same spiked, punked up
hair style as him too...

"Fatal Charm" - Billy Idol

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#13 Oct 9, 2013
PAT RlOT wrote:
<quoted text>
Hate you??! Pssh, I have always freaking liked Adam Ant (i.e. Adam & The Ants)! He/they were one of my fave acts in the 80s along with this guy below. In fact,
before I grew my hair long as it is to this day, I had the same spiked, punked up
hair style as him too...
"Fatal Charm" - Billy Idol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =WOXKJWRQzbsXX
I love Billy Idol and the man still looks good enough to eat!

Whew!

Ok changing the subject a little, have you ever heard of Souixie and the Banshees?

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“229 Strong”

Since: Nov 11

Climax, Kentucky

#14 Oct 9, 2013
Dixie-me wrote:
<quoted text>
My musical taste wasn't that fabulous in the 80's. I was listening to this kind of stuff...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =o41A91X5pnsXX
Don't hate me. ;)
Don't sweat it Dixie, I'm sure I listened (and liked) crappier music than Adam Ant, lol.

“229 Strong”

Since: Nov 11

Climax, Kentucky

#15 Oct 9, 2013
PAT RlOT wrote:
<quoted text>
Their first two lps (With Sympathy and Twitch) were straight up Dance/New Wave Techno just as you said, MC. It was not until the late 80s, 1988 in fact that Ministry morphed into a much heavier, darker tone with The Land Of Rape And Honey and of course, this track which I remember so well..
"Stigmata" - Ministry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =qxaPj19VnRAXX
Exactly Patrick, and after hearing, and kinda liking their first 2 albums I thought THIS was Ministry the first few times I heard it on the radio....

http://youtu.be/E8BBob7o6a4

"Politics Of Dancing"

Re-Flex
Music lover

Jonesboro, AR

#16 Oct 9, 2013

“PROUDLY PUNKING MODS & TROLLS ”

Since: May 13

FOR 1/2 A DECADE!!!

#17 Oct 10, 2013
Musikologist wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly Patrick, and after hearing, and kinda liking their first 2 albums I thought THIS was Ministry the first few times I heard it on the radio....
http://youtu.be/E8BBob7o6a4
"Politics Of Dancing"
Re-Flex
Wow! I recall this song but hadn't heard it in years, MC. Based on what early Ministry sounded like I could see the ease in such a mix up myself. I saw Ministry twice during the height of their heavy era, the Psalm 69 lp. I may have one here that you've never heard of, MC..we'll see. French Industrial Metal band TREPONEM
PAL began playing in the mid-80s and released their first, self-titled album in 1989 which this rare track is from...

"Soft Mouth Vagina" - Treponem Pal

“229 Strong”

Since: Nov 11

Climax, Kentucky

#18 Oct 10, 2013
PAT RlOT wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! I recall this song but hadn't heard it in years, MC. Based on what early Ministry sounded like I could see the ease in such a mix up myself. I saw Ministry twice during the height of their heavy era, the Psalm 69 lp. I may have one here that you've never heard of, MC..we'll see. French Industrial Metal band TREPONEM
PAL began playing in the mid-80s and released their first, self-titled album in 1989 which this rare track is from...
"Soft Mouth Vagina" - Treponem Pal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =dV2J6bO2iLYXX
Actually Patrick, I'm very familiar with Treponem Pal, WRFL in Lexington, the UK student-run station played them often.

“229 Strong”

Since: Nov 11

Climax, Kentucky

#19 Oct 10, 2013
Another WRFL favorite....

http://youtu.be/eLfEpTnyJx0

"Chemical Imbalance"

Skatenigs

“PROUDLY PUNKING MODS & TROLLS ”

Since: May 13

FOR 1/2 A DECADE!!!

#20 Oct 12, 2013
Musikologist wrote:
<quoted text>Actually Patrick, I'm very familiar with Treponem Pal, WRFL in Lexington, the UK student-run station played them often.
Really?! Wow, Treponem Pal on the radio, huh? That's hard to imagine but wildly awesome at the same time, MC.

In the mid to late 80s is when my own musical tastes began undergoing radical change as I went from the staples of my youth like KISS, AC/DC, Queen, Aerosmith, and Van Halen into a much different sound altogether. I had not quite yet transitioned into the brutal Death/ Thrash Metal scene I would soon find myself entrenched within when I heard this band for the first time. By the time I learned of this band they were already 3 albums into their career that has lasted unto this very day but I still get chills when I hear this song in particular and think about the musical changes I went through at the time listening to these guys along with bands like D.R.I.(Dirty Rotten Imbeciles), T.S.O.L.(True Sounds Of Liberty), Black Flag, and other pioneers of the American Punk/Hardcore scene.

"How Will I Laugh Tomorrow (When I Can't Even Smile Today)" - Suicidal Tendencies

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hillary Clinton OUR next President (Jun '15) 4 min Kyboy 5,258
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 4 min -Christopher Jarvis 165,695
Is Tudors closing? 5 min Curious 1
Why Are So Many People Leaving Pike County ? (May '11) 31 min Poor Thing 1,083
making this country great again 44 min Truth 9
Pikeville High School Sports 1 hr Serious Question 8
Steve Ritz 1 hr Lol 2
Pike County Attorney Howard Keith Hall (Mar '15) 1 hr Amy 66

Pikeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pikeville Mortgages