Pike Co Schools Take Spring Break

Pike Co Schools Take Spring Break

Posted in the Pikeville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
FYI

Macon, GA

#1 Feb 9, 2010
Before someone gets on here and starts telling me that I am wrong or that I am making this up, just wait until after the next Board meeting. They are taking Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of spring break for make up days. The kids will be off Thursday and Friday (IMAGINE THAT--CAN'T MISS REDNECK DAYS...I MEAN HILLBILLY DAYS) and that is it. It will be approved at the next board meeting. Again, before you bash me please wait and find out for yourselfs, and if you do bash me...you owe a big "sorry" later on...
knowstoo

Macon, GA

#2 Feb 9, 2010
I know they will.. I have been told so by a teacher.. GOOD, as they should do this, so the kids have a summer, of sorts
What

United States

#3 Feb 9, 2010
knowstoo wrote:
I know they will.. I have been told so by a teacher.. GOOD, as they should do this, so the kids have a summer, of sorts
I think you are missing the point of the post. Why not take it all?
FYI

Macon, GA

#4 Feb 9, 2010
knowstoo wrote:
I know they will.. I have been told so by a teacher.. GOOD, as they should do this, so the kids have a summer, of sorts
I agree 100%...I wish they would let them go to 3:30 each day and make up 25 minutes a day before state testing also...
knowstoo

Macon, GA

#5 Feb 9, 2010
I got the point of it , however, i was JUST verifying the post.. I wasnt DISagreeing with it.. They need to learn how to make up the stupid days they are off for , instead of taking the summer days.. A lot of the rooms , at my kids school, are hot in the summer and that makes it hard to sit thru a class when ur miserable.. Take the spring break, take the days they are off for no reason at all.. make up hours towards days, there is a lot they can do, but THEY, teachers and BOE, doesnt want to put their precious time in
lol

Pikeville, KY

#6 Feb 9, 2010
I don't believe it
kyfan

Cleveland, OH

#7 Feb 9, 2010
I love how you assume that the teachers and BOE doesn't want to put their precious time in. I am a teacher and I really take offense to that remark. Do you think we control the weather?? If we did, I think we would much rather have it warm and sunny all the time. We have children, too, and would like for them to be able to enjoy their summer. However, we can't control the weather anymore than we can control the fact that your child has to sit in a hot classroom during some months of the year. Trust me, it is not the best working conditions for us either. While your child is having to endure the heat, he/she is not alone. All the teachers are uncomfortable, too. And, trust me, it doesn't matter how many times we put in a maintenance request-we always get the same response "we'll get to you as soon as we can." I am so sick of parents badmouthing teachers and saying that we want snow days so we don't have to work. We have to make up these days, just like your child does. Furthermore, the state testing dates will not be changed, regardless of the weather, and I would love to be in my classroom so I can "try" to teach all of the material I need to cover with my students before the end of the year.
kyblue

Holden, WV

#8 Feb 9, 2010
I agree with FYI, I think they should take spring break, all 5 days! I understand the county has some sort of agreement with the city to allow school to be closed so more money can be made for Shriners (which is a good thing)But really, spring break comes at a bad time. Usually it's too cold to do anything outside. Lots of times it even rains and has even snowed! Everyone can not afford to go on vacation to a warmer climate so it's not much of a break for most. I personally wish school dismissed for fall break instead of spring. As for going an extra hour each day, no way! I would rather go on a Saturday than do that every day. The kids are tired by 3:15 and I could not imagine keeping 4 year olds there from 7:30 to 4:00.
momma jay

Ransom, KY

#9 Feb 9, 2010
If they have school on that thursday and friday, nobody would show up. So what would be the point of putting it on the calendar?
CENTRAL TEACHER

Macon, GA

#10 Feb 9, 2010
if you think you've got things to bitch about now with the county system, just wait until they drop graduation requirements on incoming freshmen and change toa SIX PERIOD DAY, WHILE reducing the number of teachers in the county. Now any dumbass (except Wagner, Kilgore, and Johnson) know that if you take NUMBERS of classes away from a school you have to have somewhere to put those kids! OH, but not the loyal leadership of Pike County Schools, NO SIR, even though they don't know how, they are going to lose all of these classes in every high school and still reduce the number of teachers. But if anyone has ever heard Roger Johnson's story about teaching 300 band students at Pike Central then I guess anything is possible because he IS GODS GIFT TO EDUCATION!
Mike

Shelbiana, KY

#11 Feb 9, 2010
I think that Hillbilly Days should take place in the summer anyway. I'd rather be uncomfortable in the heat than cause kids to miss MORE SCHOOL. Spring break should be taken away..period. Especially when a lot of school has been missed due to bad weather. Something has got to give. I think it is a bad idea to keep kids longer in the day as they are too tired to retain what is being taught. Going a little longer in the summer is something that has to be considered and endured when many days of school are missed. Just my opinion.
hey now

Georgetown, KY

#12 Feb 9, 2010
kyfan wrote:
I love how you assume that the teachers and BOE doesn't want to put their precious time in. I am a teacher and I really take offense to that remark. Do you think we control the weather?? If we did, I think we would much rather have it warm and sunny all the time. We have children, too, and would like for them to be able to enjoy their summer. However, we can't control the weather anymore than we can control the fact that your child has to sit in a hot classroom during some months of the year. Trust me, it is not the best working conditions for us either. While your child is having to endure the heat, he/she is not alone. All the teachers are uncomfortable, too. And, trust me, it doesn't matter how many times we put in a maintenance request-we always get the same response "we'll get to you as soon as we can." I am so sick of parents badmouthing teachers and saying that we want snow days so we don't have to work. We have to make up these days, just like your child does. Furthermore, the state testing dates will not be changed, regardless of the weather, and I would love to be in my classroom so I can "try" to teach all of the material I need to cover with my students before the end of the year.
listen, my heart bleeds for ya. on a good year you still get over 2 months vacation. i have an engineering degree and dont have that kind of benefits!
lol

Phelps, KY

#13 Feb 9, 2010
as long as they leave Hillbilly Days alone - I don't care. I guess it really don't matter though because I now for a fact that I would not send my 5 year old to school on those days anyway - that's what she looks forward to all winter/spring.
sammy

Shelbiana, KY

#14 Feb 9, 2010
lol wrote:
as long as they leave Hillbilly Days alone - I don't care. I guess it really don't matter though because I now for a fact that I would not send my 5 year old to school on those days anyway - that's what she looks forward to all winter/spring.
You need to broaden her horizons.
lol

Grethel, KY

#15 Feb 9, 2010
Do you really think they will take Spring Break. They threaten to do it every year but they never do because everyone has already made plans. I am a senior at PCCHS and every year I have attend they have made the threat and never followed through with it. We aren't even getting out in June yet. So unless we miss a lot more school we will not lose our break. As for Hill Billy days I can't believe anyone would ever say that! It goes to help Shinners! An organization that helps children! Anyone that gives them down the road obviously doesn't care for the GOOD CAUSES that it represents.
sheesh

Georgetown, KY

#16 Feb 9, 2010
lol wrote:
as long as they leave Hillbilly Days alone - I don't care. I guess it really don't matter though because I now for a fact that I would not send my 5 year old to school on those days anyway - that's what she looks forward to all winter/spring.
thats probably the saddest thing i have ever heard short of pretending to stick your kid in a home-made air baloon just to get publicity.
eye see you

Elkhorn City, KY

#17 Feb 9, 2010
i hear valley is getting out june 1, that is to long for me. they can take my whole spring break i don't care. i wanna have a summer!
missy

Shelbiana, KY

#18 Feb 9, 2010
eye see you wrote:
i hear valley is getting out june 1, that is to long for me. they can take my whole spring break i don't care. i wanna have a summer!
Normally, you go upto the last of May anyway. You are lucky that you are getting out that soon..all the days you've missed and all.
Mom

United States

#19 Feb 10, 2010
hey now wrote:
<quoted text> listen, my heart bleeds for ya. on a good year you still get over 2 months vacation. i have an engineering degree and dont have that kind of benefits!
Then you should have been a teacher!
parent

Georgetown, KY

#20 Feb 10, 2010
People are always complaining about a teacher having 1 - 2 months off for vacation and getting paid for it. Do you not realize that a teacher has some of his/her salary deducted from each payday to allow this? Teachers give up money during the year for this. Engineers get paid alot more than teachers. I believe certain professions should get paid more and should have more benefits. Teachers shape our children and sometimes that is the only person they have to look up to. Everyone needs to respect teachers, lunchroom staff, custodians, and administration - they are there for the children and to ensure they gain the knowledge they need to make something out of themselves.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Industrial Park 44 min One Eyed Willy 40
Butt Sex Yes or No? (Nov '09) 2 hr Obama 52
Hillary Clinton OUR next President (Jun '15) 2 hr Kyboy 5,385
Ashley Brown lied to voters 3 hr Taxing Matters 15
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 4 hr CCzar 166,375
ANE Mum on Senator Ray Jones 4 hr A Hillary Depor... 43
McKayla Hall 8 hr Blondy 16

Pikeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pikeville Mortgages