Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912?

Aug 13, 2013 Full story: politix.topix.com 1,075

This exam was taken by middle schoolers in Bullitt County, Kentucky. The real test contained 58 questions and wasn't multiple choice.

Read more
cool

Campbellsville, KY

#1564 Mar 5, 2014
figured it would of been easier
Libertarian

Paducah, KY

#1565 Mar 6, 2014
Taxpayer funded “free and compulsory” public education is a Socialist experiment that has failed.

Education is best provided by the free market, achieving greater quality, accountability and efficiency with more diversity of choice. Recognizing that the education of children is a parental responsibility, we would restore authority to parents to determine the education of their children, without interference from government. Parents should have control of and responsibility for their children’s education. Parents, not the taxpayers, should pay for their children’s education.
Pastafarian

Gastonia, NC

#1566 Mar 6, 2014
honest wrote:
A college degree dont mean nothing. When we started letting "educated" people decide who gets hired and why, we had to start dumbing down our work force. The only reason places require degrees is because the ones doing the hiring were stupid enough to pay for book learning and want to pat other book learners on the back.. I personally dont think someone should be hired into a managerial position until they are capable of doing every job they supervise. I will take a common sense kinda person over a book worm anytime. Doctors should be taught by other doctors in an apprenticeship environment. Hands on is by far the best way to learn, understand, and remember. We have all memorized something long enough to pass the test, then forgotten about it simply because its useless information to retain..
Clueless
awesome

Owensboro, KY

#1567 Mar 6, 2014
Yup
Guest

Monticello, KY

#1568 Mar 6, 2014
Lol
Dr Gizmo

Chesapeake, VA

#1570 Mar 7, 2014
How many of you can pass an eight grade test of 2014? I was watching my Grand child do his math home work, the way they problem solve is not as simple as it was back in the day.

“The Ending Is....”

Since: Nov 13

Not Here

#1571 Mar 7, 2014
Yes the world is changing in so many ways. Not that easy.
Not

West Liberty, KY

#1574 Mar 8, 2014
I can't
Bee

Science Hill, KY

#1575 Mar 8, 2014
Probably not
dalo

United States

#1576 Mar 8, 2014
NoE
Old English Teacher

Hopkinsville, KY

#1578 Mar 9, 2014
Steph wrote:
<quoted text> I'd say your right
Yes.

The word is "you're" the contraction for "you are" not "your."
yoyo

London, KY

#1579 Mar 9, 2014
I doubt it
nope

Paducah, KY

#1580 Mar 9, 2014
sure cant

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#1582 Mar 11, 2014
....kids in other countries are way ahead of the kids in the USA....when it comes to education....our country started falling behind years ago....
momma

Barbourville, KY

#1583 Mar 12, 2014
No way

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#1584 Mar 12, 2014
momma wrote:
No way
...if you're referring to my comment...I'm afraid you're wrong....just do the math...kids in Japan and china are far ahead in education than kids in the USA....one reason...their governments support education all the way...where in the USA...our government cuts spending on education....
Libertarian

Paducah, KY

#1585 Mar 12, 2014
Dark Side of Doom wrote:
<quoted text>
...if you're referring to my comment...I'm afraid you're wrong....just do the math...kids in Japan and china are far ahead in education than kids in the USA....one reason...their governments support education all the way...where in the USA...our government cuts spending on education....
You are wrong.

“Education in China is a state-run system of public education run by the Ministry of Education. All citizens must attend school for at least nine years, known as the nine-year compulsory education, which the government funds. It includes six years of primary education, starting at age six or seven, and three years of junior secondary education (middle school) for ages 12 to 15.”

Note, after age 15, or completion of the 8th grade, only those who are qualified go on to high school. So, yes, they out perform U.S. high school students. Our system is held back because it takes all, including the dullards who are too dumb to benefit from anything more than the basics of reading and simple arithmetic. Chinese high schools take just the smartest and fittest for education. Chinese 15 year olds either go to a trade school or into the labor force.

“Some provinces may have five years of primary school but four years for middle school. After middle school, there are three years of high school, which then completes the secondary education. The Ministry of Education reported a 99 percent attendance rate for primary school and an 80 percent rate for both primary and middle schools. In 1985, the government abolished tax-funded higher education, requiring university applicants to compete for scholarships based on academic ability.”

Again, note: Chinese colleges only admit the smartest students in a highly competitive system. The U.S.A. is a take all comers system subsidized by the taxpayers.

If parents in the U.S.A. had to pay for all their children's education, those children would perform just as well or better than in China or Japan.
Libertarian

Paducah, KY

#1586 Mar 12, 2014
We condemn compulsory education laws, which spawn prison-like schools with many of the problems associated with prisons, and we call for an immediate repeal of such laws.

End government involvement in education. Immediately reduce tax support for schools, and remove the burden of school taxes from people who do not have children in the schools. Eliminate the U.S. Department of Education, which spends billions on education and educates no one. The growth of this agency and its numerous regulations is a major reason for runaway costs in American schools.
Caddie

Stanton, KY

#1587 Mar 12, 2014
What is this news about striking down the national content standards and not using them anymore? Where did this come from?

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#1588 Mar 12, 2014
Libertarian wrote:
Taxpayer funded “free and compulsory” public education is a Socialist experiment that has failed.
Failed by what metric? Seems pretty successful all over the world.
Libertarian wrote:
Parents, not the taxpayers, should pay for their children’s education.
Parents are taxpayers.

What is your free market expectation for poor and working class people with little money? Incredibly cheap, low quality schools? That sounds like a recipe for a healthy society.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 6 min Historian 135,118
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... (Jul '14) 14 min Keeping them honest 24,731
Add a word, Drop a word (May '10) 2 hr Red_Forman 23,816
Word Association (Aug '11) 2 hr Red_Forman 6,251
A Marriage Without Kissing (Jan '10) 5 hr Mkingswan 221
Restaurant spreading Stomach Virus 8 hr Farmer-54 17
therapist at mt. comp wow 11 hr dandys 1
Pikeville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Pikeville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]