What Pikeville Needs...

Posted in the Pikeville Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
PikeCoGuy

Pikeville, KY

#1 Aug 17, 2013
I think if Pikeville is going to continue to progressively grow like it has over the past decade or so, it will HAVE to invest in some of these buildings/public services/etc, at some point.

Let me know what you think the city lacks, and what you think about these suggestions:

1) Pikeville Zoo (?)

I believe that a zoo would dramatically increase tourism to Pikeville, and Pike County. It would also serve the 145,000 -/+ people in the county and surrounding areas that currently have to drive several hours to the nearest zoo. It would also be one more thing our youth and general population could do locally (besides drugs).

2) Drug Rehabilitation Center (?)

Substance abuse is at epidemic levels in this area, and we've known that for quite some time. I think if we had a very nice, modern, state of the art facility to help treat these people that we'd see a huge decline in people on SSI, Social Security, Disability, etc. because they would finally be free of addiction and able to hold down a job title. I also think the proposed idea for renovating the old school building at Lookout, Kentucky needs to happen, or a neighborhood sized Wal-Mart in that location. With the road work and development coming through those areas, and the tens of thousands of people without local retail amenities (such as Wal-Mart) I think it would be a very successful location to have such.

3) Kentucky Kingdom (Six Flags) Pikeville (?)

Given its current growth rate, I believe another complex (similar to the one in Louisville) in Pikeville would be an excellent idea. It could also be used to host the annual Hillybilly Days festivals. That way, we would only need to add vendors and a couple rides that are unique to the festival. Plus, downtown Pikeville wouldn't have to worry about the coming wave of problems concerning space. Just a thought.

4) A MALL!!!

I know there's plans to develop some sort of retail cluster behind Wal-Mart, but I've said it once and I'll say it again... Pikeville has reach the point in it's growth that it seriously needs a mall! The economic advantages and conveniences of the addition of a mall go without saying!

5) Some sort of manufacturing facility/factory (?)

Lots of Union Jobs would be fantastic to have, especially with the high-paying occupation of a Coal Miner slowly disappearing to history, and the economic boom that follows the construction of a major manufacturer of anything is always an amazing thing for any city/county.
great ideas

United States

#2 Aug 17, 2013
I don't think there is enough vacant land though for the zoo, 6 flags, it the mall.
Even if there were it would not be wise to put them in until something is done to fix the local economy. There is no way the current economy would support these things.
One factory won't even put a dent in the problem. Lets bring in several big factories with high paying jobs. Lets reopen a call center (with competent management) in the old ACS building, along with a couple of new ones that pay decently.
The drug rehab is a must though. We have to clean our people up and get them on the right track so these new factories and jobs have good workers to help them thrive.
Once the drug problem is cured and the economy booming, then we can work on the recreational enhancements.

“PROUDLY PUNKING MODS & TROLLS ”

Since: May 13

FOR 1/2 A DECADE!!!

#3 Aug 17, 2013
1. Pikeville Zoo - Pssh, Pikeville is ALREADY a zoo...have you seen most the residents?

2. Drug Rehabilitation Center.- How many are there already in the region? How about some actual solutions and preventive measures finally?

3. Kentucky Kingdom (Six Flags) Pikeville - Already got it, it's called the Mark II.

4. A Mall - Pikeville cannot keep the retailers it already has now in business.

5. Some sort of manufacturing facility/factory - Already tried that, it was called Coal Mines and Obama's EPA killed them.
PikeCoGuy

Pikeville, KY

#4 Aug 17, 2013
If they go forth with the Marion Branch and Poor Farm Projects, the city's area is supposed to expand to over double it's current size. How long those projects will take though, I don't know... Hopefully not too long!:P
PikeCoGuy

Pikeville, KY

#5 Aug 17, 2013
PAT RlOT wrote:
1. Pikeville Zoo - Pssh, Pikeville is ALREADY a zoo...have you seen most the residents?
2. Drug Rehabilitation Center.- How many are there already in the region? How about some actual solutions and preventive measures finally?
3. Kentucky Kingdom (Six Flags) Pikeville - Already got it, it's called the Mark II.
5. Some sort of manufacturing facility/factory - Already tried that, it was called Coal Mines and Obama's EPA killed them.
Don't think of Pikeville and Pike County as a has been... The coal industry is just one of many, many big money makers an area can have. If we could/would develop some tourism hot spots here, we'd see the economy improve tremendously. Believe it or not, some huge ly successful cities live and thrive off tourism alone. Dubai is a great example for motivation. They relied heavily on oil until they fully grasped that it was running out, and then began developing their infrastructure and tourism attractions and now they rely mostly on tourism alone (Less than 3% of their economy is in oil now-a-days.) Plus big industry is a tricky, tricky thing... Even though this county is so rich in resources (Coal, Natural Gas), it has some of the highest poverty rates in the state of Kentucky.
I think we need to map out an aggressive plan for growth and try like hell to get corporations like Google, Apple, Oracle, Sony, anything... To build corporate offices and factories here.

It'll take a century to get this city and area back in livable condition, but if we don't start planning and constructing NOW, everybody is going to migrate away and their won't be a city to continue developing..
Johnathan Masters

Louisville, KY

#6 Aug 17, 2013
I think all of these are great ideas. Develop them more, and get more people on board. You can do whatever you put your mind to. Pike County needs to grow.
Just Do Something

Richmond, KY

#7 Aug 17, 2013
I think Pikeville needs to kick every frikkin lawyer out down town Pikeville and put the shops and restaurants back. Pikeville was a busy place downtown before WalMart and the other stores selling communist chine junk come in the area. They need to lower the taxes and offer some incentives for small shops and stores to come back to Pikeville. The place could be a tourist attraction if they went back to something close to what they had in the 40's,50's, and 60's.
I'm glad they kept the new court house looking like something from that period and the Hotel and Parking Garage. A main Street renovation with bringing stores and shops back to Pikeville would be nice.

“PROUDLY PUNKING MODS & TROLLS ”

Since: May 13

FOR 1/2 A DECADE!!!

#8 Aug 17, 2013
Just Do Something wrote:
I think Pikeville needs to kick every frikkin lawyer out down town Pikeville and put the shops and restaurants back. Pikeville was a busy place downtown before WalMart and the other stores selling communist chine junk come in the area. They need to lower the taxes and offer some incentives for small shops and stores to come back to Pikeville. The place could be a tourist attraction if they went back to something close to what they had in the 40's,50's, and 60's.
I'm glad they kept the new court house looking like something from that period and the Hotel and Parking Garage. A main Street renovation with bringing stores and shops back to Pikeville would be nice.
I do agree with that. The Old City area of downtown Pikeville should be the
focus of new businesses and places of interest to revamp and revitalize the
historical aspect of Pikeville.
answer

Manchester, KY

#9 Aug 17, 2013
Pikeville needs an enema just like there giving Mingo 1 door over!
Friend or Enema

Richmond, KY

#10 Aug 17, 2013
If they were going to give Kentucky an enema, Pikeville is where they would stick the hose. Greedy politicians killed it years ago, will be hard to build it back in a bad economy at a time the state is cutting funds and Coal Severance is dwindling.
opinion

Manchester, KY

#11 Aug 17, 2013
That is why they are in here taking an interest in complaints.All of the money is gone and all County`s in these rural States are over budget with no way of showing cause.They think they will get to keep doing things as they wish but I have news for Pville!!!They are here and they are silently digging!!!Yes oh yes baby!!They are digging and it ain t just for drugs either.Just sit back and think that they would let you know if it were happening!!I want to see the look of those pic compared to Mingo`s!!!I bet that will look like a surprise party for a pack of apes!!lmafo!!
Fox News Is A Joke

Shelbiana, KY

#13 Aug 18, 2013
PikeCoGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't think of Pikeville and Pike County as a has been... The coal industry is just one of many, many big money makers an area can have. If we could/would develop some tourism hot spots here, we'd see the economy improve tremendously. Believe it or not, some huge ly successful cities live and thrive off tourism alone. Dubai is a great example for motivation. They relied heavily on oil until they fully grasped that it was running out, and then began developing their infrastructure and tourism attractions and now they rely mostly on tourism alone (Less than 3% of their economy is in oil now-a-days.) Plus big industry is a tricky, tricky thing... Even though this county is so rich in resources (Coal, Natural Gas), it has some of the highest poverty rates in the state of Kentucky.
I think we need to map out an aggressive plan for growth and try like hell to get corporations like Google, Apple, Oracle, Sony, anything... To build corporate offices and factories here.
It'll take a century to get this city and area back in livable condition, but if we don't start planning and constructing NOW, everybody is going to migrate away and their won't be a city to continue developing..
Dubai went Bankrupt Stupid.
blurred lines

Elkhorn City, KY

#14 Aug 18, 2013
the biggest problem with the economy in pikeville and all of this whole area is coal severance money is no longer flowing like spring water.
its dwindling and it should indeed be used for more important projects than these small town mayors and reps try to use it for.
they are only trying to appease their campaign contributors.
in the mean time the money is running out because coal production is down, coal sits in stockpiles at nearly every coalmine in the state and west va as well.
and yet the greedy continue to come up with these piddly little pissy projects, like a theater for plays in pikeville, etc.
oh well

Harold, KY

#15 Aug 18, 2013
PAT RlOT wrote:
I disagree with Pat on some things...but have to say...he has got this down Pat..lol...may I add...keep our lights on..........and what happen to the Veterans Hospital
Sewer Stinks

Shelbiana, KY

#16 Aug 18, 2013
blurred lines wrote:
the biggest problem with the economy in pikeville and all of this whole area is coal severance money is no longer flowing like spring water.
its dwindling and it should indeed be used for more important projects than these small town mayors and reps try to use it for.
they are only trying to appease their campaign contributors.
in the mean time the money is running out because coal production is down, coal sits in stockpiles at nearly every coalmine in the state and west va as well.
and yet the greedy continue to come up with these piddly little pissy projects, like a theater for plays in pikeville, etc.
But Donnie B said Tour Buses will line up for the Jenny Wiley Theatre.
PikeCoGuy

Pikeville, KY

#18 Aug 18, 2013
Fox News Is A Joke wrote:
<quoted text>Dubai went Bankrupt Stupid.
Dubai hit an economic speed bump (As I'm sure ANY major city that rises from the desert in less than a decade with hundreds and hundreds of billions in infrastructure will, especially in the global economic crisis of 2008) but they never filed for bankruptcy. Abu Dhabi would never let that happen, anyway.
Fox News Is A Joke

Shelbiana, KY

#19 Aug 18, 2013
PikeCoGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Dubai hit an economic speed bump (As I'm sure ANY major city that rises from the desert in less than a decade with hundreds and hundreds of billions in infrastructure will, especially in the global economic crisis of 2008) but they never filed for bankruptcy. Abu Dhabi would never let that happen, anyway.
Dibai defaulted on Billions of Dollars in Loans dummy.
PikeCoGuy

Pikeville, KY

#20 Aug 18, 2013
What honestly gets me about this area, though... Is that any time anyone tries to mention anything about improvement, advancement, progress, investment, etc. Everyone from around here ALWAYS has something hugely negative and counter-productive to say, and try to down talk any idea that makes any sense whatsoever. It's like you people actually enjoy wallowing in poverty and substance abuse, while the economy of this place hollows out like a pumpkin with coal out the window. Forget the ideas I presented above... I think I'm starting to see what you guys are talking about. I don't know where those thoughts of progress came from! How ridiculous, right? I think we should just do a controlled demolition of the Pikeville, and Pike County area and walk off....*rolls eyes*

Listen people... If you literally expect nothing from your city/area/government, then that's EXACTLY what you'll get!!! Heighten your standards of living a little! For the kids, if for nothing else...
Sometimes, I think it's this pessimistic and counter productive collective attitude of most of the residents in this area that will seal this places fate... And that's really sad. Ever heard of a self fulfilling prophecy??
PikeCoGuy

Pikeville, KY

#21 Aug 18, 2013
Fox News Is A Joke wrote:
<quoted text>Dibai defaulted on Billions of Dollars in Loans dummy.
And with the sheer size of the buildings there, I'm sure that a few billion didn't hurt a thing. Maybe turned one locally ran skyscraper into a government owned building... Haha. Besides, even through that "defaulting of a loan" they still managed to increase their city by thousands of acres of luxury real estate and commericial property, while their population seen an increase unlike like any other prior to Dubai. Like I said, if you don't believe me when I say they almost literally CAN'T go bankrupt (right now, at least) look up the statements that EXTREMELY wealthy big brother "Abu Dhabi" has said about how far they'll go to make sure Dubai succeeds. But, getting waaaay off topic here. Let's bring it back. Haha.
Fox News Is A Joke

Shelbiana, KY

#22 Aug 18, 2013
PikeCoGuy wrote:
What honestly gets me about this area, though... Is that any time anyone tries to mention anything about improvement, advancement, progress, investment, etc. Everyone from around here ALWAYS has something hugely negative and counter-productive to say, and try to down talk any idea that makes any sense whatsoever. It's like you people actually enjoy wallowing in poverty and substance abuse, while the economy of this place hollows out like a pumpkin with coal out the window. Forget the ideas I presented above... I think I'm starting to see what you guys are talking about. I don't know where those thoughts of progress came from! How ridiculous, right? I think we should just do a controlled demolition of the Pikeville, and Pike County area and walk off....*rolls eyes*
Listen people... If you literally expect nothing from your city/area/government, then that's EXACTLY what you'll get!!! Heighten your standards of living a little! For the kids, if for nothing else...
Sometimes, I think it's this pessimistic and counter productive collective attitude of most of the residents in this area that will seal this places fate... And that's really sad. Ever heard of a self fulfilling prophecy??
Is it a Quality of Life Issue Jill?

Lmfao
Lmfao
Lmfao

Donnie B is your Hero.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Coal Country for TRUMP" T-Shirts 16 min ExTrumpMan 20
To the fat beyotch wearing a Trump shirt at Riv... 21 min ExTrumpMan 28
Why Are So Many People Leaving Pike County ? (May '11) 22 min Crooks they are 984
Vanderbeck Wants More Alcohol Sales 31 min Please leave 34
Walters Mazda 1 hr One 1
Political Slushfund 1 hr im telling you 4
Now Hiring in Pikeville 1 hr Elite Pikeville L... 1
More Ray Jones Rants 12 hr Why 32

Pikeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pikeville Mortgages