Next Last
Curious

United States

#1 May 5, 2009
How many mines do they have now?
Gram

Hurricane, WV

#2 May 5, 2009
Several, don't know the exact number. Why?
pikegal

Whitesburg, KY

#3 May 6, 2009
They have 4 Mines all operating & running w/2 Prep Plants......
Where

United States

#4 May 20, 2009
where are the mines located?
coal miner

Panther, WV

#5 May 20, 2009
there is one at bevins branch on kimper
one in pikeville up by the bowling ally (classic lanes) and not sure of the others
miner

Pikeville, KY

#6 May 23, 2009
they are shutting down a bunch of underground
clikclik

Pikeville, KY

#7 May 24, 2009
why are they closing them all down?
meeee

Winchester, KY

#8 Jun 23, 2009
Who says they are shutting down a bunch of underground?

I don't think you know what you're talking about.

They just had a big breakfast at the Landmark for their employess last month and told them they are in great shape. They shut down one small mines, relocated the workers and thats it.

You are probably talking about Premier Elkrorn, they went out of business.
Amanda

Jackson, KY

#9 Jun 23, 2009
Yeah, Premier Elkhorn just layed my husband off and he's having a rough time finding another job. If you all know of any UG position, plz let me know. Thanks
meeee

Winchester, KY

#10 Jun 23, 2009
Sorry to heat that Amanda. My husband works for McCoy Elkorn and he says they are going to hire a few this week, the main personell director is in from out of town, so tell him to get there quick. The office is at Long Fork of Kimper.

I hope he gets another one, I've heard Massey layed off some on the radio this morning.

We have been lucky, I guess. At that meeting, they said Mccoy Elkorn wouldn't be laying off anyone, that they had enough contracts to do for the next 7 years at least. They aren't going to get their overtime as much because their coal reserves are huge at this time, though.

It would help for your husband to get EMT certification. Every shift must have at least one EMT working on it, they are in very short supply. My husband's mines has a guy working double shifts several times a week because they can't find anyone else with the emt certification. He will always be in high demand if he does that.

Good luck!
Miner Man

Richmond, KY

#11 Jun 23, 2009
McCoy is shutting one of their shaft mines down a day or two early before vacation and for a day or two after vacation. No other layoff's that I know of. Seal problem with the shaft,"gassy" and I feel they will fix the problem. The rest of the operation is OK as far as I know. The EMT advise was spot on, get it and get hired and stay employed as long as they mine coal. Got to have them, last one's laid off.
Amanda

Jackson, KY

#12 Jun 23, 2009
Thanks a lot, he's going to go apply tomorrow! Does anyone have a phone number for them? He wants to call for directions. Thanks again, so much.
speedricer

Pikeville, KY

#13 Jun 24, 2009
I haul coal from mine 23 at harmons branch (air port road) Our mines isn't doing all that well, but it's just because they are in a bad top right now. Rest of McCoy Elkhorn seems to be doing really well. They do have 2 prep plants but only using one right now. and they have 4 mines that I know of.
4coal

Whitesburg, KY

#14 Jun 24, 2009
Miner Man wrote:
McCoy is shutting one of their shaft mines down a day or two early before vacation and for a day or two after vacation. No other layoff's that I know of. Seal problem with the shaft,"gassy" and I feel they will fix the problem. The rest of the operation is OK as far as I know. The EMT advise was spot on, get it and get hired and stay employed as long as they mine coal. Got to have them, last one's laid off.
Not true!
All of the MINES at McCoy Elkhorn, including PLANTS will shut down Friday June 26th through Monday July 6th 2009, 2 extra days for vacation (NOT PAID)! 3rd shift will start back on July 6th!!
Everything seems to be doing fine and at our Co Breakfast they reassured us that we'd be here awhile....
Ive been here since 1991, I consider myself LUCKY to have a job w/them....They may not pay the HIGHEST in the COAL MARKET, but at least we're still WORKING! Others need to think about that when they get a better job offer, ya know better pay~~~U BEST LOOK AT THE LONGTERM PART!
meee

Winchester, KY

#15 Jun 24, 2009
4coal wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true!
All of the MINES at McCoy Elkhorn, including PLANTS will shut down Friday June 26th through Monday July 6th 2009, 2 extra days for vacation (NOT PAID)! 3rd shift will start back on July 6th!!
Everything seems to be doing fine and at our Co Breakfast they reassured us that we'd be here awhile....
Ive been here since 1991, I consider myself LUCKY to have a job w/them....They may not pay the HIGHEST in the COAL MARKET, but at least we're still WORKING! Others need to think about that when they get a better job offer, ya know better pay~~~U BEST LOOK AT THE LONGTERM PART!
This is exactly what my husband says, and he works for them.

Yes, there are others that pay a little better, but look at those guys now. My husband was tempted to leave a few months back and now he's glad he didn't. That company is gone now.

The coal industry is unstable a lot of the time, and its hard to guage. But I think Mccoy/Elkorn has done a pretty good job of remaining stable.

I have a question for you miners. I watched a movie called "Harlan County, USA" the other day, it was about the strikes and killings that went on in the 70's with the coal miners.

My question is, What happened to the Union? Everyone used to be Union all the way around here and now everyone hates them. WHat changed? In that movie, the Union was God's gift to coal miners, when did that change?
bloody harlan

Richmond, KY

#16 Jun 24, 2009
i'm from harlan and was still there while this was going on.the unions are getting smaller in every industry from coal mining to the car companies to steel because it's hard for companies to make a profit over a period of time with all the extra cost involved with the union . the united auto workers benifits were unreal etc. getting paid not to work to gm spending 2 million a year so retired workers could buy viarga at no cost to the retired.
Hollowlogic

Paris, KY

#17 Jun 24, 2009
bloody harlan wrote:
i'm from harlan and was still there while this was going on.the unions are getting smaller in every industry from coal mining to the car companies to steel because it's hard for companies to make a profit over a period of time with all the extra cost involved with the union . the united auto workers benifits were unreal etc. getting paid not to work to gm spending 2 million a year so retired workers could buy viarga at no cost to the retired.
Another fool who wants to work for $7 an hour with no benifits or a coal company man! GD unions is the reason they pay what they are paying no matter they are not that many ldft in Pike County. Health Insurance, Retirement, the 8 hr work day, fool just wait until the coal corporations get it back like the good ol days. 6 days a week, 10-14 hrs a day with no overtime. Yeller Dog Scab fool!
Amanda

Jackson, KY

#18 Jun 24, 2009
My husband called McCoy Elkhorn Coal this morning and they told him they weren't taking applications.
meee

Winchester, KY

#19 Jun 24, 2009
Amanda, I'm sorry to hear that. I told my husband and he said that they had 2 new ones start yesterday,so maybe they don't need anymore.
He also said, its more likely that the ones that did get hired knew someone in the mines, one of them is an emt and one was a boss for a few years and is starting at way less than he was making.So its going to be hard, I think, for you.
For one job that comes up, theres 15 people with 10+ yrs experience and bosses, etc. still looking for work.
If I hear of anything else I will let you know.
jimmy hoffa

Richmond, KY

#20 Jun 24, 2009
look what the unions did to detroit.when you are paying people not to work and they still get full benifits when retired and those same people still aren't happy ,whats left.people who had to deal with union people finally are getting fed up.all you have to do is look at how small they are now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 7 min you decide 143,125
Metal roofing questions. 9 min Raylin Sutter 3
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... (Jul '14) 38 min My own mind 29,021
Vote Ray Out 44 min I Vote 219
Best Toupee in Phelps?? 6 hr J d Smith Loan Man 8
Barry Chaney said 6 hr Jill 24
A Marriage Without Kissing (Jan '10) 7 hr Mari 232
E Ky Politics 9 hr High Water Boys 10
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pikeville Mortgages