legal advice....HELP!

Since: Oct 09

Pikeville

#1 Feb 21, 2013
well I've got a huge question....here goes.....the situation is this. I had an immediate family member pass away suddenly some years back when I was just over 20...and am the heir of their estate. Since I was young..(and had no idea what to do as in terms of property tax and such) I signed another family member executor of estate. Now that I am older, I am learning that the person I signed executor wants to sign half of my land over to someone else....and I do not want this. I guess my question is, what can I do?...and does the executor have the power to do this? Please throw some advice my way...I have considered getting a lawyer but the executor is a close family member that I love dearly and I need to tread lightly here...basically I need to know if they can do this...and what I can do about it.....thanks in advance
Anon

Chesterfield, MO

#2 Feb 21, 2013
Lafawnduh wrote:
well I've got a huge question....here goes.....the situation is this. I had an immediate family member pass away suddenly some years back when I was just over 20...and am the heir of their estate. Since I was young..(and had no idea what to do as in terms of property tax and such) I signed another family member executor of estate. Now that I am older, I am learning that the person I signed executor wants to sign half of my land over to someone else....and I do not want this. I guess my question is, what can I do?...and does the executor have the power to do this? Please throw some advice my way...I have considered getting a lawyer but the executor is a close family member that I love dearly and I need to tread lightly here...basically I need to know if they can do this...and what I can do about it.....thanks in advance
My best advise to you would be to talk to an attourney.I know you said it was a family member and you wanted to tread lightly but just go and talk to one,it don't have to become a full blown issue.Otherwise have you tried talking to this family member and letting them know how you feel about this?
Blue Fin Catfish

United States

#3 Feb 21, 2013
An Executor does not own the property. An Executor is responsible to see the bills are paid and the estate is managed correctly thru the probate process. Signing for someone to be the executor is not the same thing as signing over heirship rights. You do not have to sell your part of anything just because the executor wants to sell it. The estate should have already been settled thru probate court which will then end the executors responsibilities.
Ginger

Winchester, KY

#4 Feb 21, 2013
Lafawnduh wrote:
Topix is the last place I'd ask for advice!
Blue Fin Catfish

Pikeville, KY

#7 Feb 21, 2013
Executors cannot sell property without probate court approval. Executors are only there to pay bills and represent the estate in court. It does not mean they own the estate property. Google Executor and you can get the answer. Gezzzzzzzzzzxzx

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Daddy wants to play with teen daughter 8 min a real man 11
Island Creek shooting 25 min word meanings 138
Strip mines and hot married/single men 55 min Beaver tamer 5
Buffalo Wild Wings is open 1 hr just hangin 13
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... (Jul '14) 2 hr Paris 32,389
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 hr ChromiuMan 148,957
Add a word, Drop a word (May '10) 4 hr -Prince- 25,496
Glen Hammond Ray Jones Round 2 21 hr The People HaveSp... 22
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pikeville Mortgages