Mel

Frankfort, KY

#42 Jul 9, 2013
Sucks wrote:
<quoted text>
What, the local economy is boosted a few times per year and that is suppose to justify the increase in every city tax possible ?!? They have created a handful of jobs and none of the area businesses that you have mentioned are creating more jobs either..it's a fail all the way around..and if it were state run like it was intended to begin with we might actually see some progress, and I fully expect it to become another extension of PMC at any moment.
Sure, the Expo was not managed well and there are many things that could have and still can be done to make it better. But to say that it is a fail all away around is not ture. At least some money is going to the businesses. What if the Expo was not here? The businesses would be in worse shape. Perhaps there would be more lay offs. But to say that the Expo has no impact what so ever is wrong. I live in town and whenever there is an event, even a somewhat small event, the businesses have more than usual amount of customers. That has to amount to a fair amount by the end of the year. Now, that may not be the amount promised, but that is better than nothing. I'm not saying that everything is hunky dory here; only that the Expo has helped impove this area.
just saying

Paintsville, KY

#43 Jul 9, 2013
Yea, just sell or give it to PMC. They are suppose to revive everything.
wtf

Pikeville, KY

#44 Jul 10, 2013
Mel wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, the Expo was not managed well and there are many things that could have and still can be done to make it better. But to say that it is a fail all away around is not ture. At least some money is going to the businesses. What if the Expo was not here? The businesses would be in worse shape. Perhaps there would be more lay offs. But to say that the Expo has no impact what so ever is wrong. I live in town and whenever there is an event, even a somewhat small event, the businesses have more than usual amount of customers. That has to amount to a fair amount by the end of the year. Now, that may not be the amount promised, but that is better than nothing. I'm not saying that everything is hunky dory here; only that the Expo has helped impove this area.
The Expo has not had an Event in Months Stupid.
Low Budget Acts

Corbin, KY

#45 Jul 10, 2013
sweet brown wrote:
Not everybody likes country.wise up folks.
Exactly this. This place isn't the same it was 10 or 20 years ago.
No and not everybody likes Rap or the new hard rock stuff. You however go with the majority and try to have a show you have a demographic that will buy a ticket.

Country, R&B some of the old traditional Rock & Roll groups. Keep catering to people that are the segment of the market that don't have the price of a high priced ticket, it may be a headliner group but in Appalachia in coal country with the economy down you might want to target people that may still have a few bucks for recreation. Not many people are shelling out $50-$75 bucks for a new rock band for their teenager anymore and the early twenties crowd can't find a job if they wanted one. Especially one that allows them to blow $100 bucks for a concert ticket.
Blow Hard

Pikeville, KY

#46 Jul 10, 2013
Low Budget Acts wrote:
<quoted text>
No and not everybody likes Rap or the new hard rock stuff. You however go with the majority and try to have a show you have a demographic that will buy a ticket.
Country, R&B some of the old traditional Rock & Roll groups. Keep catering to people that are the segment of the market that don't have the price of a high priced ticket, it may be a headliner group but in Appalachia in coal country with the economy down you might want to target people that may still have a few bucks for recreation. Not many people are shelling out $50-$75 bucks for a new rock band for their teenager anymore and the early twenties crowd can't find a job if they wanted one. Especially one that allows them to blow $100 bucks for a concert ticket.
The Expo blows.
yea

Williamson, WV

#47 Jul 10, 2013
Bull Crap wrote:
<quoted text>
"No control over consumers not buying tickets to a Concert", try booking a concert someone will buy a ticket for. Every concert can't be for the teeny boppers that don't have two nickels to rub together. The baby boomers are the ones with the discretionary cash that can afford the price of a ticket, try booking something they will come out for.
These high priced tickets for a bunch of kids that can't afford to pay attention ain't working so well in a bad economy. Try booking an act every now and then the people with the money will come out and see.
Right that crowd don't have a pot to piss in
Expo Blues

Corbin, KY

#48 Jul 10, 2013
The Expo could be a boon to the city tax base, the surrounding business if it were run like it was nestled 3 hours off the interstate in an area with no commercial air service.
The management may do well in a heavy populated urban environment near an interstate but don't know squat about managing a civic center in Eastern Ky. You can't get enough draw in a rural economically depressed area for the big name acts. However there are plenty of 2nd tier groups with good name recognition that would make the 3 hour drive back into the mountains.
The MAC brings them in and of every type of musical genre. This bunch may do OK in New York but can't manage a civic center in a small town in a rural area.
The place don't have to turn a profit, few do but they at least should be able to pay their own way. a high priced management team that sucks off most of the proceeds is not what we need. If their contract was up I can't believe Donnie B and the boys were dumb enough to resign with them.

Money pit, sucking up Pike City Tax revenue that could be spent on more worthwhile projects. Get it running on a break even basis or sell it. I personally would like to see the Expo make a go of it but can't blame the city taxpayers for keeping a burg alive for the rest of the county that is not bringing in that much business for local venders. Most cities the size of Pikeville don't have a civic center for the above reasons. It was a good idea when money was flowing like water from the Federal and the State but now we need to rethink how we are going to run it. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is not an option. We need new management and I hope this bunch was not signed to a long term contract.

“WFO”

Since: Jan 11

Pikeville

#49 Jul 10, 2013
I'm still wondering why the Jenny Willey project was necessary when they could have been incorporated into the expo to help offset cost. Seems that they could have used that money to buy whatever equipment was necessary to do their plays at the expo and worked out of there?!
great idea

Kermit, WV

#50 Jul 10, 2013
3MSJ wrote:
I'm still wondering why the Jenny Willey project was necessary when they could have been incorporated into the expo to help offset cost. Seems that they could have used that money to buy whatever equipment was necessary to do their plays at the expo and worked out of there?!
I agree. The Expo would have been a great place to have plays. They already have a stage, sound, dressing rooms, and lighting. They could have done a few renovations and bought some portable microphones and stage props and been ready to go. Charging the schools for performances would have generated revenue. High-end performances could be attracted for the adults (musicals, theater, etc)
sweet brown

Richmond, KY

#51 Jul 10, 2013
Low Budget Acts wrote:
<quoted text>
The demographic of this area is drastically (thankfully) different than it was 5 or 10 years ago.
Taxed to Death

Corbin, KY

#52 Jul 11, 2013
How about an Expo Tax on all Pikeville City Property owners, that is what they are trying to do with the Fire Departments. Yes I know you all just got a restaurant tax and hotel tax increase slapped on you but there are still more ways to tax the crap out of Pikeville residents to keep this mistake alive. Raise your occupation tax to keep a couple shows a year in Pikeville for the rest of the counties entertainment.

No way this thing has added enough to the local business to overcome the tax it takes to support it. You get a few more customers in to pay the extra tax it takes to have it.

I would love to see the tax dollars spent on the place over the last 5 years and a real study done to see how much money it has brought to local business.
wtf

Pikeville, KY

#53 Jul 11, 2013
not true wrote:
<quoted text>
They are actually doing better now. The concert was cancelled by the promoters due to low ticket sales. The Expo has no control over consumers not buying tickets to a concert.
BS they tried to schedule local joke Bands and charge like it was The Black Eyed Peas.

“Pink is your new obsession!!”

Since: Mar 13

Ojai, CA

#54 Jul 11, 2013
they are currently trying to book george jones and tammy wynette and hoping to book hank williams too
not jr
but hank
tigger

United States

#55 Jul 11, 2013
Sounds right. The dead do sing tour,coming to the east ky expo.tickets on sale Friday.lol.
Punchy

Corbin, KY

#56 Jul 11, 2013
Get Toby Keith, I's been in training, I can knock the hell out of him now!....lol
tigger

United States

#57 Jul 11, 2013
Punchy wrote:
Get Toby Keith, I's been in training, I can knock the hell out of him now!....lol
lol.
Punchy

Corbin, KY

#58 Jul 11, 2013
tigger wrote:
Sounds right. The dead do sing tour,coming to the east ky expo.tickets on sale Friday.lol.
There used to be a band call the "Dead" or the Grateful Dead! I believe they are all dead but some of the bands from that era still tour or their made up imitation. I would go see the Temps, Percy Sledge, Bob Seiger was all around us and they never got him in, he was as close as Charleston. Any of the old rock groups or any of the old country singers. I have the money but would not go watch the crap they have there now for free.

Well actually I did, someone had a big band from the big band era and a singer in there free. Watched a great Hank Williams Impersonator there, free! I would have paid for either one. Keep catering to the teeny boppers that don't have the price of a happy meal!

Ojai, CA

#59 Jul 11, 2013
Punchy wrote:
<quoted text>
There used to be a band call the "Dead" or the Grateful Dead! I believe they are all dead but some of the bands from that era still tour or their made up imitation. I would go see the Temps, Percy Sledge, Bob Seiger was all around us and they never got him in, he was as close as Charleston. Any of the old rock groups or any of the old country singers. I have the money but would not go watch the crap they have there now for free.
Well actually I did, someone had a big band from the big band era and a singer in there free. Watched a great Hank Williams Impersonator there, free! I would have paid for either one. Keep catering to the teeny boppers that don't have the price of a happy meal!
they keep having country bands because all the girls have already bought their boots and blue jean skirt or gingham skirt, they want to do si do and the young men buy them watered down fruit punch that they think is liquor
It has to do better

Corbin, KY

#60 Jul 11, 2013
pink sugarplum wrote:
<quoted text>they keep having country bands because all the girls have already bought their boots and blue jean skirt or gingham skirt, they want to do si do and the young men buy them watered down fruit punch that they think is liquor
A large venue every month and a smaller venue, trade show, something every weekend! That place sits there sucking up electricity and water utilities everyday and noting going on to pay for it's maintenance. How can you call yourself a management firm if all you have in the Expo is an Echo.

Quietest place in town and a great place to get in out of the heat and take a nap! Rent a ghost, let it out to the homeless, anything but standing there with the air conditioning cooling empty bleachers.

Ojai, CA

#61 Jul 11, 2013
It has to do better wrote:
<quoted text>
A large venue every month and a smaller venue, trade show, something every weekend! That place sits there sucking up electricity and water utilities everyday and noting going on to pay for it's maintenance. How can you call yourself a management firm if all you have in the Expo is an Echo.
Quietest place in town and a great place to get in out of the heat and take a nap! Rent a ghost, let it out to the homeless, anything but standing there with the air conditioning cooling empty bleachers.
agree, going thru pikeville on a saturday night around 8pm, and its quiet enough to hear a pin drop, save for a few people in the park or maybe down at the theater, theres nothing going on.
in the future, stories will be written about the ghosts of the expo center.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... (Jul '14) 9 min real american 27,439
White car beat 20 min Kristie 3
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 20 min Chrome Duqquetto 138,612
SS Is Notifying People That Lawyer Committed 46 min Iron Man 92
PMC Nurses Need To Wear White Uniforms And Hats 52 min Big Nose 34
Why Are So Many People Leaving Pike County ? (May '11) 57 min High Class 668
Add a word, Drop a word (May '10) 1 hr 75 Scorpio 24,377
Occupational Tax 2 hr Concerned Citizen 40
W. Keith Hall News (Dec '14) 12 hr Amy 213
More from around the web

Pikeville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]