Chloe Thrift Store Prices 2 HIGH

Chloe Thrift Store Prices 2 HIGH

Posted in the Pikeville Forum

Thrifty Shopper

Elkhorn City, KY

#1 Apr 4, 2012
Do you go to the "thrift" store at the mouth of Chloe? There ain't nothing "THRIFTY" about it. It used to be a good place for poor people to shop... Now they are so expensive I don't bother going anymore. Yes, it is supposedly for charity. That merchandise is GIVEN to them and they are even PAID to take it from some Church in Maryland, or something like that. I've asked them the prices of used items and found the same things cheaper brand new at Walmart. It's just ridiculous. It's pretty sad you afford to shop at a thrift store, all because of the owner's GREED! It's shameful. They act like they are some major expensive department store in New York City or something. Lower the prices and I'll come back. Keep em high and you are going to end up a big failure. Then you won't be helping the poor with food or anything. People are fed up with your greed. It's supposed to be for poor people. ACT LIKE IT. I'd be ashamed, Monk Sanders! You are a disgrace.
walmart

Richmond, KY

#2 Apr 4, 2012
Munk Sanders owns it or runs it. He is a SCAMMER! The items in that store are all donated and sold at a HUGE price! The money is then used (or said to be used) to help elderly fix up their homes. Not too many elderly around this area who's homes are falling in because they are usually well off or have made sure their homes are in good shape. Notice he picked the elderly to help, he sure as hell wouldn't help everyone who needs help like the United Helping Hands does. They help EVERYONE who meets criteria.

Munk Sanders is a criminal! He pockets this money for himself. He is evil. A PURE SCAMMER!

You can shop there if you want, you can also pretend that I am just out to start trouble, but I have worked for him and saw how he works. It is terrible and would make you cry! He makes fun and talks horribly about people in need. Calls children bastards. At Christmas he was saying "damn, we will never be able to buy presents for all the lil poor bastards in this area" He said this because an organization had asked for Munks help on Christmas presents for children. He called the needy children bastard guppies sucking from society.

He host a Christmas giveaway for children done by the Catholic churches. He gives NOTHING towards this, only allows them to use his building.
Thrifty Shopper

Elkhorn City, KY

#3 Apr 4, 2012
He's either going to lower the prices, or be closed down, one or the other. Not for profit organization? B.S. It just makes me mad because it's supposed to be for POOR people, and poor people can't afford to even SHOP there. WOnder how much rent his daughter pays to live in that apartment upstairs? She doesn't work there anymore, so I'm sure her rent goes to feed the poor. LOL
Thrifty Shopper

Elkhorn City, KY

#4 Apr 4, 2012
walmart wrote:
Munk Sanders owns it or runs it. He is a SCAMMER! The items in that store are all donated and sold at a HUGE price! The money is then used (or said to be used) to help elderly fix up their homes. Not too many elderly around this area who's homes are falling in because they are usually well off or have made sure their homes are in good shape. Notice he picked the elderly to help, he sure as hell wouldn't help everyone who needs help like the United Helping Hands does. They help EVERYONE who meets criteria.
Munk Sanders is a criminal! He pockets this money for himself. He is evil. A PURE SCAMMER!
You can shop there if you want, you can also pretend that I am just out to start trouble, but I have worked for him and saw how he works. It is terrible and would make you cry! He makes fun and talks horribly about people in need. Calls children bastards. At Christmas he was saying "damn, we will never be able to buy presents for all the lil poor bastards in this area" He said this because an organization had asked for Munks help on Christmas presents for children. He called the needy children bastard guppies sucking from society.
He host a Christmas giveaway for children done by the Catholic churches. He gives NOTHING towards this, only allows them to use his building.
Oh yeah, it's obvious he is a big crook and A-Hole. I questioned him about the necessity for such an outrageous price on an item once. He just sort of looked down his nose at me. I worked all my life, have a college degree and owned a coal mine at the age of 21. Injured badly in my 20's, I continued working 35 years enduring incredible pain. I became disabled thru no fault of my own and am unable to work now that I am older. I could have bought and sold him when I was young, several times, but I never had an attitude like I was better than anyone else. He does and it's obvious. I wouldn't even go in the store but I can't afford to provide for my family like I could when I was young and healthy. He's going down. Karma...
one who knows

Macon, GA

#5 Apr 4, 2012
Yes, this so called thrift store is a huge joke, the stuff is mostly crap that no one would want in their home or on their bodies, anyway and to top it off, they try to charge more for this junk then Dawhare's. Someone is making money of this stuff, I am sick of this crap, this is supposed to be about helping the poor people in this area, not about some greedy arse making money off of poor people. This stuff is donated and the thrift store doesn't pay for it, so, why charge such outrageous prices? Some of the worker's are from the jail and are either not getting paid or paid very little, so, probably not out much on employees. I think Monk Sanders is a greedy con man trying to make a profit off of poor people and ought to be ashamed. My sister's and I used to go there a lot, we won't be going back, Monk can have his junk, I will take my business elsewhere.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#6 Apr 5, 2012
Thrifty Shopper wrote:
Do you go to the "thrift" store at the mouth of Chloe? There ain't nothing "THRIFTY" about it. It used to be a good place for poor people to shop... Now they are so expensive I don't bother going anymore. Yes, it is supposedly for charity. That merchandise is GIVEN to them and they are even PAID to take it from some Church in Maryland, or something like that. I've asked them the prices of used items and found the same things cheaper brand new at Walmart. It's just ridiculous. It's pretty sad you afford to shop at a thrift store, all because of the owner's GREED! It's shameful. They act like they are some major expensive department store in New York City or something. Lower the prices and I'll come back. Keep em high and you are going to end up a big failure. Then you won't be helping the poor with food or anything. People are fed up with your greed. It's supposed to be for poor people. ACT LIKE IT. I'd be ashamed, Monk Sanders! You are a disgrace.
my mom went in there for a project. She was looking for an old coffee table because all she had was glass tables (not good for my 2 year old) so she went looking at the charity thrift store. She found one that was solid wood and it was all beat up and scratched. She figured she was going to pay like $10 but they told her it was $40....they really need to learn how to run a thrift store and they need better people skills.
autocorrect

United States

#7 Apr 5, 2012
Well monk gets the stuff for free and charges out the ass for it and dumbass pike county still goes in there. I would do it too if I was him because you ppl keep going there.
Sue

Nerinx, KY

#9 Apr 5, 2012
I got a Bassett end table for $10.00, the best deal in the place. Yes, the prices are way too high. The place is full of junk, anything that is of any value is priced like new. I would not shop there any more.
Thrifty Shopper

Elkhorn City, KY

#10 Apr 6, 2012
autocorrect wrote:
Well monk gets the stuff for free and charges out the ass for it and dumbass pike county still goes in there. I would do it too if I was him because you ppl keep going there.
Thank you! That's what I'm trying to do...get people to BOYCOTT the place just to put him in his place. That's why I started the post, to get some feedback. At least now I know it's not just me thinking it's a scam and a rip off.
Thrifty Shopper

Elkhorn City, KY

#11 Apr 6, 2012
scammer wrote:
yeah monk acts like he's such a good person and trying to help the community...what a joke. He gets that stuff donated and goes thru it and keeps out the good stuff for himself or family, and friends and the people who work there and then puts it way over priced. Someone should come in and do an audit. He advertises the he will give ppl free stuff if they loose there stuff in fire or other ways and that's a lie he robs from the poor who says he is trying to help this man is a thief and co-artist and that place seriously needs to be looked into. Monk is only out for himself
Oh, there will be more than just an investigation, believe that. He's not untouchable. Believe that. He's looked down his nose at the wrong one.
agree

Pikeville, KY

#12 Apr 6, 2012
20.00 for a pair of USED shoes!! I don't care what brand they are this is donated things and at a THRIFT "Macys"store.
nasty

Richmond, KY

#13 Apr 13, 2012
I agree with all of you. I used to shop there often. But over the past year or two the store has changed a lot. The prices were always high, but it seems they have tripled and in some cases quadrupled!!

I went there to look for twin mattresses. I needed 2 twin mattresses. I didn't need the box springs. Well, their twin mattresses are 50 dollars for a mattress and box spring. I told her I didn't need the box springs, just the mattress and asked if she would take 25 for the mattresses since I wasn't taking the box springs. The answer was NO. So if I would have took the offer it would have been 100 dollars for two used twin mattresses. And keep in mind we are NOT in ANY means talking about new or nice mattresses. Upon looking at the mattresses I had asked her about, I was honestly shocked!
Some were from hospital beds, the others had HUGE, and I am talking GIANT brown stains all over them, rip's and holes and the springs poking through! I had to touch them to look trhough them all to see if there were ANY good ones that someone could actually use. There were NONE! It was so disgusting I had to rush to my car and use Germ-X on my hands from touching them!

I have only been in that store maybe, 3 times in a year and 6 months. I will promise you all this now, I will NOT EVER go back into that crap hole again! I was already upset with the prices and the rude employees and how Munk Sanders is treating the poor. But I truly needed some used mattresses and couldn't afford new ones. Well.. I surely can't afford to give 100 dollars for mattresses in such bad shape they should be burned!

BOYCOTT this junky place!
one who knows

Macon, GA

#14 Apr 14, 2012
My sisters and I have already boycotted this sorry so-called junk store, we quit going when the prices were equal to Dawhares, lol. Most of the stuff is out, ancient, worn out, or just plain junk and they want a fortune for stuff that looks like crap. I am poor but not that darn desperate, they are ripping off the poor people and it is a darn shame. They get donations of stuff and I heard, money, too is donated and then they try to stick it to the poor people who shop there and they get prisoners from the jail to work there and probably don't pay them much if anything. Someone needs to do something about this scam outfit, someone is putting the money in their pocket!!!!!
Laughable

Elkhorn City, KY

#15 May 11, 2012
I walked out of that junk hole laughing at them the other day. You can buy new at Walmart cheaper than used and abused at that so called "Thrift" store. It is a joke and a disgrace.
ethel

United States

#16 May 11, 2012
I remember a few years ago he said he was going on a vacation to Hawaii but his staff was not to find out about it. I didn't think much about it at the time but looking back, I'm sure he didn't use much of his own money on that little trip.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 5 min Paul 168,029
Looking For Info On Attorney Eric Conn (Nov '10) 45 min A Hillary Depor... 59
I am dating a black man. 53 min Monkey Shines 7
Steph May Horn 1 hr wusup 4
Hillary Clinton OUR next President (Jun '15) 1 hr One Eyed Willy 5,572
Why Are So Many People Leaving Pike County ? (May '11) 3 hr Vaster 1,117
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... (Jul '14) 3 hr TIM 37,688
Ray Jones for Pike County Judge Executive 3 hr curious 65

Pikeville Jobs

More from around the web