Fishtrap Lake closed to public

Posted in the Pikeville Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
lie to me

Elkhorn City, KY

#1 Sep 25, 2011
Fishtrap has hundreds of acres of public land with no way to get to without walking miles, all access roads leading to these public places have gates with locks, no one has keys eccept gas companies and other wildlife and corp people. I think this should be opened to the public so families can camp fish and hunt our community would benfit. I can hear heavy equipment running somewhere in the area if they have access why cant we. I say we have our leaders give us some access open the roads to the public, what do you think?
Brown Shirts

Winchester, KY

#2 Sep 25, 2011
The gestapo up at Fishtrap have that place reserved for coal corporations, gas companies and it is a private reserve and ATV recreation area for Fish & Game and Millard Fire Department. No camping on the banks and no recreation development for the public in Pike Couunty!

Zieg Heil!
sucks

Mount Sterling, KY

#3 Sep 25, 2011
Brown Shirts wrote:
The gestapo up at Fishtrap have that place reserved for coal corporations, gas companies and it is a private reserve and ATV recreation area for Fish & Game and Millard Fire Department. No camping on the banks and no recreation development for the public in Pike Couunty!
Zieg Heil!
The Tax Payers Paid For That Property, So "WHY JUST OPEN TO A SPECIAL FEW"? Someone "NEEDS TO FIND OUT WHY".
Tourism

Winchester, KY

#4 Sep 26, 2011
At a time when the county and cities of Pike County are going after all the adventure tourism dollars they can we have thousands of acres of Lake off limits for Pike countians and recreation development.
It is time for the coal corporation money that keeps their operations hidden up in the backwater area to be exposed. The worst thing that could have happened is allowing coal corporations in there on Federal lands since they shut it down for the rest of us.
The big promise of a state park fizzled out and all we got was a jack booted bunch of Fish & Game Thugs shutting down more of the area. All the recreation promised and the lodge, the road around the lake, amphitheater, golf course, primative camping.

All we got now is a fee for putting your boat in the trash and a fine if you camp on the bank! We could have been taking the advantage of some more tourism dollars in the county if not for the Elite and Exclusive Club they have going on up there.
Area 51 East

Winchester, KY

#5 Sep 26, 2011
It is interesting to see how the Fishtrap Area got locked down tighter after the coal corporation got caught with the two illegal Hollow Fill site's. What bugs me is that most coal corporations down here have to hire rent a cops "security guards" for security. This outfit has Federal and Fish & Game security with Fire Department rats watching the place for them.
No need asking a Pike County Politician to help open up the area, they are either bought off or have a coal interest up there. What started out as a flood control project is now one of the most locked down area's on the East Coast. Thousands of acres in Pike County off limits to the people of Pike County or anybody else. If it is just to keep tree huggers off the mining and gas operations we can narrow it down to them and still open it up for the rest of us. Make camera's and water testing equipment illegal and let the hunters and fishermen in, plus the boaters, campers, hiker's and tourist.
The Road to Nowhere

Winchester, KY

#6 Sep 26, 2011
They got some money for the Road to Three Points and then because a couple of connected politicians wanted to get a road to their coal they got it extended. The road will still be a road to nowhere!
The first road plan to 3 points would have let the people of the Ridge Line Road area finally have a quick way to Pikeville and the hospital. Now they will have to wait another 40 years before the other plan and environmental studies get done. Either road will follow the coal seam and some Pike Politician will get his pockets full of kick back money from it...If it ever gets built!
Fishtrapper

Dana, KY

#7 Sep 26, 2011
What a perfect picture.... Families picnicking and camping with small campfires and fireside guitar playing folk songs. Why that would be a regular family scouting event and church outing place.

NOT!!!

But lets get real folks.WE all know that if they open up that area to everyone it will quickly become a gun shooting 4-wheeler drug dealing, dope smoking, pill popping Woodstock event. Trash everywhere, used needles, used condoms, burnt tire rings and beer cans....I can see it now. Side trails and erosion everywhere, that's how it would end up. That's what we do here in this part of the state.

This is why they don't let everyone in there; they know how it would end up.

Families and respectable people would like this to be a safe area, but everyone knows what kind of people would end up taking over.

There are not enough cops and drug police in Pike county to patrol and control such a location. The only way that would work is if they sold lots, charged a special tax (to pay for cleaning crews and policemen) and build 3 full time state police residents along the road.

If they did that, that would work.
Happy Trails

Winchester, KY

#8 Sep 26, 2011
Fishtrapper wrote:
What a perfect picture.... Families picnicking and camping with small campfires and fireside guitar playing folk songs. Why that would be a regular family scouting event and church outing place.
NOT!!!
But lets get real folks.WE all know that if they open up that area to everyone it will quickly become a gun shooting 4-wheeler drug dealing, dope smoking, pill popping Woodstock event. Trash everywhere, used needles, used condoms, burnt tire rings and beer cans....I can see it now. Side trails and erosion everywhere, that's how it would end up. That's what we do here in this part of the state.
This is why they don't let everyone in there; they know how it would end up.
Families and respectable people would like this to be a safe area, but everyone knows what kind of people would end up taking over.
There are not enough cops and drug police in Pike county to patrol and control such a location. The only way that would work is if they sold lots, charged a special tax (to pay for cleaning crews and policemen) and build 3 full time state police residents along the road.
If they did that, that would work.
No it is much better for the elite to keep it tied up for their personal ATV use, there ATV's don't do any damage, The D11 Dozer's don't hurt the place either. I don't think there should be ATV's of anykind or anybody's in there but other camping and family recreation activities should be.

If a Pike County Citizen can't ride an ATV in there how come it is OK for a gas company employee to ride one on all those hundreds of miles of gas roads they have cut in there? Fish & Game, Millard Fire Dept. they can ride thier ATV's in there but the rest of Pike County are just pill head drunks that can't be on the property for any reason.
Heaven forbid someone go in there and find another illegal hollow fill or some pools of oil around one of them gas wells and take a picture! Ha, Virginia can use it for a chemical and trash dump but for the citizens of Pike County it is off limits.

There are a good many people in the county that do not drink, and are pill head gun totten white trash losers. The same police that deal with them in the rest of Pike County can deal with what few would act like that at any rate. Any excuse to keep it off limits!
Laker

Chesterfield, MO

#9 Sep 26, 2011
If you like to use a lake for camping or outings go to East Tenn. like the rest of Pike Co. does. More Pike Co people are down there than here.
I agree

United States

#10 Sep 26, 2011
Laker wrote:
If you like to use a lake for camping or outings go to East Tenn. like the rest of Pike Co. does. More Pike Co people are down there than here.
They open thier lakes to tourist and make money for the local communities the lakes are in. They don't have storm trooper's guarding the lakes and keeping the tourist and locals out!
Ryder

United States

#11 Sep 26, 2011
They build a nice trail and restrict it to horses only. Whats so bad is you can count the number of people that trail ride on your two hands. I'm not even sure if that is still open as I am sure it was just built for a few specific people. W.V. has the Hatfield/Mccoy trail and people flock in to ride it. Drive through Logan sometime on the weekend and look at all the atv's being hauled in. It's sad they won't do a single thing that would actually bring in tourist dollars except build an expo center that tax money has to pay for. Then ignorant people question why so many youth get strung out on dope. Simply because they have nothing else to do. It is pathetic they won't get a trail system to connect to the Hatfield/Mccoy trail system. With all that property around the Lake building campsites and picnic areas wouldn't be a problem. Charging for each atv would generate enough money to cover the costs of hiring people to patrol it.
Horse Trail

Winchester, KY

#12 Sep 27, 2011
Ryder wrote:
They build a nice trail and restrict it to horses only. Whats so bad is you can count the number of people that trail ride on your two hands. I'm not even sure if that is still open as I am sure it was just built for a few specific people. W.V. has the Hatfield/Mccoy trail and people flock in to ride it. Drive through Logan sometime on the weekend and look at all the atv's being hauled in. It's sad they won't do a single thing that would actually bring in tourist dollars except build an expo center that tax money has to pay for. Then ignorant people question why so many youth get strung out on dope. Simply because they have nothing else to do. It is pathetic they won't get a trail system to connect to the Hatfield/Mccoy trail system. With all that property around the Lake building campsites and picnic areas wouldn't be a problem. Charging for each atv would generate enough money to cover the costs of hiring people to patrol it.
Yes that is just for the connected but the building u there was built by the county, County Tax payers payed for it but we can't use it. I believe the county cut the trail in but can't say for sure but the county did build the facility with tax payer money!

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#13 Sep 27, 2011
Laker wrote:
So true. Their lakes are beautiful...no trash in them or around them. I lived there for 11 years and I would dearly love to move back there.

THE LEGEND HIMSELF

“DECIMATOR OF KNIGHTS”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#14 Sep 27, 2011
I lived right on Cherokee Lake outside of Morristown,
Tenn. for nearly a decade and I really enjoyed it there. Not to mention you have Douglas Lake and Norris Lake within the vicinity, too. For some reason
people in Tenn. seem to keep things cleaner and have
more respect for their surroundings that Kentuckians
could learn a thing or two from.
I KNOW

Chesterfield, MO

#15 Sep 27, 2011
THE LEGEND HIMSELF wrote:
I lived right on Cherokee Lake outside of Morristown,
Tenn. for nearly a decade and I really enjoyed it there. Not to mention you have Douglas Lake and Norris Lake within the vicinity, too. For some reason
people in Tenn. seem to keep things cleaner and have
more respect for their surroundings that Kentuckians
could learn a thing or two from.
THE trash COME FROM VA!
what

Pikeville, KY

#16 Sep 27, 2011
What happened to it becoming a State Park
Paul Project

Winchester, KY

#17 Sep 27, 2011
what wrote:
What happened to it becoming a State Park
I remember going to going to the ceremony up at the dam and Paul Patton going on about a lodge and a road around the dam and all kinds of good stuff..
but he forgot to check with the Gestapo that runs it I guess, what ever he was talking about did not materailize. We got the same ol locked down trash heap we always had. Maybe if he had worked as hard geting us a state park up there as he did killin workers compensation we would have more than a mining operation and a chemical dump!
what

Pikeville, KY

#18 Sep 27, 2011
The people of Pike County should let Hal Rogers know what they doing to Fishtrap Lake. They can stop the trash at the head of the Lake with some kind of wire across the Lake to a load out and haul it off once a month. The Lake would stay clean then.
HiJack Hal

Winchester, KY

#19 Sep 27, 2011
what wrote:
The people of Pike County should let Hal Rogers know what they doing to Fishtrap Lake. They can stop the trash at the head of the Lake with some kind of wire across the Lake to a load out and haul it off once a month. The Lake would stay clean then.
He will do it to if you let them rename the lake after him! He stole of Daniel Boone's Highway and named it after himself.
Hal Rogers lake, that has a nice ring to it, if he can open it up to the public and get a road around it I say let him call it anything he wants..
Dirty Shame

Cynthiana, KY

#20 Sep 27, 2011
The land was purchased from the families in the 1960's and they recieved no compensation for their mineral rights from the feds as they ONLY were going to use the land as a park. Then before you know it the Feds allowed companies to mine it and allowed gas companies to drill, with no compensation going to property owners. So basically people were robbed and we get an eyesore of Virginia trash to look at. Years ago a group attempted to file suit over the mineral rights, but you canít fight the government.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 9 min usa 163,278
whats nathan damron into these days? (Jul '09) 1 hr Uknowit 11
FBI Transportation Cabinet Version 2017 1 hr Outsider 144
Hillary Clinton OUR next President (Jun '15) 1 hr you are depressed 4,398
Does God hate hillbillies 2 hr Wat 15
My wife has huge jugs 2 hr Mandy 4
Word Association (Aug '11) 3 hr _FLATLINE-------- 7,787

Pikeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance