Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 180008 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Sharian

Winter Garden, FL

#135462 Aug 8, 2014
AAA wrote:
Wasn't it Richard Dawkins who debated for years how there was no God, and how crazy us Christians are for believing God made us,, and then out of the blue started saying man kind may have come from aliens??
The Box put everything into perspective. He states that he came into existence because his parents reproduced.
Everyone on the planet can make the same claim. That is the way God intended it to be.

Which leads Atheists into a serious problem. If humans come into existence because their parents reproduce,how did the first man and woman come into existence?
Who or what produced them? Evolution?
That is probably the main reason why the Atheist faith is on very shaky grounds.
That is probably why Dawkins is leaving the door open for the existence of a God.
That is why no answer has been provided to the question
Does anyone have any proof or evidence that Atheism is correct?
Many attempts are being made here and now in order to circumvent answering that question.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#135463 Aug 8, 2014
Sharian wrote:
Everyone on the planet can make the same claim. That is the way God intended it to be.
Which leads Atheists into a serious problem. If humans come into existence because their parents reproduce,how did the first man and woman come into existence?
It doesn't lead into any serious problem. There is no "first man and woman"; evolution is a continuum.

It's like looking at a spectrum of colors and asking where exactly purple starts.
Sharian wrote:
That is probably the main reason why the Atheist faith is on very shaky grounds.
Atheism isn't a faith, and given the weakness of the theistic case, it's on sturdy ground.
Sharian wrote:
Many attempts are being made here and now in order to circumvent answering that question.
Your question was answered. Your continual denial of that fact only represents dishonesty on your part.

You have also not presented a shred of evidence for theism, which holds the burden of proof.
Sharian

Winter Garden, FL

#135464 Aug 8, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Fact, you can provide zero evidence your god exists. You rely on blind faith alone for the beliefs you have of a god. You have zero evidence of your god.
The Box provided evidence that Genesis is correct. He clearly states that he came into existence because his parents reproduced....
He does not claim he evolved from some primordial soup.

Throughout human history , reproduction of the human species ,has always been accomplished when the male sperm fertilizes a female egg. That is the way God intended it.
Do you or anyone else know of some other way that this can be accomplished?

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#135465 Aug 8, 2014
Sharian wrote:
<quoted text>
The Box put everything into perspective. He states that he came into existence because his parents reproduced.
That is probably why Dawkins is leaving the door open for the existence of a God.
What god? I haven't seen you produce any evidence to support your claim.

Location hidden

#135466 Aug 8, 2014
Sharian wrote:
<quoted text>
The Box provided evidence that Genesis is correct.
False. Genesis is riddled in with errors. Humans are the result of evolution, not creation out of dust.
Sharian wrote:
He clearly states that he came into existence because his parents reproduced....
Individuals don't evolve, so I'm not even sure what you're arguing here.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#135467 Aug 8, 2014
SNYB wrote:
<quoted text>
I absolutely believe, people should be "indoctrinated" to Think and form opinion for themselves, and to allow OTHERS to do the same.
One word at a time Dookey...try hard anough and mehbe you'll get yew a shiny gold foil staw on yew quizlette!!!
Why would Catholic churches maintain schools besides religious indoctrination and/or to insulate children from other religions/philosophies? To provide a "better" education? An additional revenue stream? Don't kid yourself.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#135469 Aug 8, 2014
Sharian wrote:
<quoted text>
The Box provided evidence that Genesis is correct. He clearly states that he came into existence because his parents reproduced....
Throughout human history , reproduction of the human species ,has always been accomplished when the male sperm fertilizes a female egg. That is the way God intended it.
Do you or anyone else know of some other way that this can be accomplished?
In no way does sexual reproduction construe any evidence that Genesis is correct. To paraphrase an old adage, you've got a wish in one hand and the Bible in the other. As there is >no zero zilch nada< evidence outside of "In the beginning......Amen." (or "In the name of Allah......mankind"). for your deity, there is no evidence it is even capable of intentions, much less actions.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#135470 Aug 8, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
False. Genesis is riddled in with errors. Humans are the result of evolution, not creation out of dust.
<quoted text>
Individuals don't evolve, so I'm not even sure what you're arguing here.
It's pretty clear that the fundies ask questions that they don't actually want answers to. We could discuss parthenogenesis in reptiles, hermaphroditic flatworms, and the long term influences on the (hominid) genome by mutation and exchange of x and y chromosomes, but they don't even like the big words that aren't scientific.
spaceship

Rancho Cordova, CA

#135471 Aug 8, 2014
How Could Anyone be Both Christian & Republican?

Interesting interview with a neocon for approx 9 mins

AAA

United States

#135472 Aug 8, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
As I recall and as you point out, he said may have while you say God did. There is a considerable difference between reflecting on a remote possibility and demanding it as a fact.
So in other words you don't know if there's a God or not,, you just know it's not the God in the Bible!
I see.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#135473 Aug 8, 2014
AAA wrote:
<quoted text>So in other words you don't know if there's a God or not,, you just know it's not the God in the Bible!
I see.
How can that not be obvious?
You don't even define what a "god" is. Was there something we might by some liberal stretch of definition call an entity that set all of the laws of physics in place 13.8 billion years ago? Was the vastness of the universe popped into existence with all of its myriad details and unimaginably ancient evidence planted fully formed and intact 10,000 years ago? The chances are infinitely insignificant that it is so. I might not be able to describe an undiscovered deep sea jellyfish, but I can tell you with all certainty that it isn't an elephant.
AAA

United States

#135474 Aug 8, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
How can that not be obvious?
You don't even define what a "god" is. Was there something we might by some liberal stretch of definition call an entity that set all of the laws of physics in place 13.8 billion years ago? Was the vastness of the universe popped into existence with all of its myriad details and unimaginably ancient evidence planted fully formed and intact 10,000 years ago? The chances are infinitely insignificant that it is so. I might not be able to describe an undiscovered deep sea jellyfish, but I can tell you with all certainty that it isn't an elephant.
So you're not an atheist at all,, you just don't know who your God is!
AAA

United States

#135475 Aug 8, 2014
Sharian wrote:
<quoted text>
It does seem a lot of atheist are turning out not to be atheist at all, just confused!!

“See how you are?”

Earth

#135476 Aug 8, 2014
AAA wrote:
<quoted text>It does seem a lot of atheist are turning out not to be atheist at all, just confused!!
Not confused at all. There is no all mighty invisible Jew wizard and there is no invisible pink unicorn that poops glitter and pees rainbows. Is there some quantum fractal holographic cosmic consciousness? I've never seen evidence of it so no, not that I know of.
Meanwhile, where is >your< evidence that your myths and delusions are real?

“See how you are?”

Earth

#135477 Aug 8, 2014
AAA wrote:
<quoted text>So you're not an atheist at all,, you just don't know who your God is!
You think that you know "who" god is, but you don't know >what< a god is. Laugh at me as you wish - there are worse things than being rational.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#135478 Aug 8, 2014
RufusM wrote:
<quoted text>
No.Because they have never felt a relationship with God. They never had the right upbringing . Look what God has done for the rest of us. Who do people cry for when they need help or when someone dies. They say "O MY GOD" please help me. What is an atheist ? I don't think their from this world . Atheist are queer and don't mind doin another man..sleep around spreading diseases . They don't want to teach our kids any values..just let the future go to hell. There is no more pledge of allegiance with God in it they dis away with anything that includes God. What's next.
I have a son and I taught him many values.
Seems your indoctrination left you with some strange ideas about atheists. None of them are correct.
I see you do not think we are from planet earth. I guess you do not see atheists as human? Reminds me of how Nazi's did not see Jews as human.
AAA

United States

#135479 Aug 8, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Not confused at all. There is no all mighty invisible Jew wizard and there is no invisible pink unicorn that poops glitter and pees rainbows. Is there some quantum fractal holographic cosmic consciousness? I've never seen evidence of it so no, not that I know of.
Meanwhile, where is >your< evidence that your myths and delusions are real?
So you're not confused, but you think there MAY be a God, but you don't know who or what it is, you just know it's not the God of the Bible.
,,, and you think you're an atheist but you think there MAY be a god out there somewhere!!

,,,and you're not confused??

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#135480 Aug 8, 2014
AAA wrote:
<quoted text>It does seem their FAITH is dwindling, now they're trying to say, they have a "loop hole" in their religion that calls for them to say "there MAY be a God, or god"!!
Is it just me, or is that not a true atheist? Lol.!! After all I'm just someone who can't comprehend all those big words and terms, but isn't there a different description for someone who believes there's not a God, " but there might be "??? I don't think atheist describes that belief!
It takes a lot of faith to buy into being an atheist,, that is one religion I do not have enough faith for!!
Atheism is not faith based. There has been a controversy over the exact definition of atheism and agnosticism. Maybe instead of getting bogged down on the label, try asking the individual just what he or she believes.
I believe in no gods. If there were a god, I think it would be evident, yet it is not. Thus, I do not believe in any gods.
I cannot make an absolute claim "no god exists" because that would be claiming something no one could know.
Now if you wish to present a case for a god existing, go for it. But I have heard many and none are convincing.
I really find it strange the bible puts an expectation upon a person to believe when no evidence of a god exists. I find the expectation unreasonable.
Sharian

Winter Garden, FL

#135481 Aug 8, 2014
AAA wrote:
<quoted text>It does seem a lot of atheist are turning out not to be atheist at all, just confused!!
The Pew Research Center agrees with you

Some U.S. atheists seem to be confused, Pew survey shows
By Ed Stoddard

ATHEIST | GOD | RELIGION | UNITED STATES
There seems to be some confusion among self-described U.S. atheists, at least according to the second part of the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life’s monumental “U.S. Religious Landscape Survey” that was issued today.

It found that 92 percent of Americans believe in God or a universal spirit, with 71 percent of those surveyed saying they were “absolutely certain” on this score.

Curiously, more than one fifth — 21 percent — of those who counted themselves as atheists said they believed in God while eight percent expressed absolute certainty about this state of affairs.

One thing does seem absolutely certain: at least a few U.S. atheists must be confused.

My “Dictionary of Beliefs and Religions”(Wordsworth Reference Series, 1992) begins its definition of the word “atheism” in the following manner:“The denial of the existence of God or gods.”

One wonders what dyed-in-the-wool atheists like Christopher Hitchens – no confusion about his stance — would say about this lot. Probably nothing very kind.

Among U.S. agnostics, 55 percent professed a belief in God and 17 percent were absolutely certain. The dictionary cited above though says that a defining characteristic of an agnostic is that they “claim ignorance” on such matters and so one wonders how they can be so certain.

America’s high levels of belief and spiritual devotion do set it apart from most affluent nations, a trait that is often commented on. But could it be that its levels of “belief” are also higher among “unbelievers?”

Talk about confusion! What do you think of results like this?

Location hidden

#135482 Aug 8, 2014
AAA wrote:
<quoted text>So you're not confused, but you think there MAY be a God, but you don't know who or what it is, you just know it's not the God of the Bible.
,,, and you think you're an atheist but you think there MAY be a god out there somewhere!!
,,,and you're not confused??
The confusion seems to be yours, AAA.

Do you actively believe in advanced alien species?
Do you think there MAY be some out there somewhere in the universe?
Do you think there are any on the Moon?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
4 letter word game (May '09) 4 min Ex-Kentuckian 271
4 Letter Word Game (Mar '11) 7 min Jackie 2,161
|keep a word, drop a word game| (Jul '11) 13 min Jackie 494
Add a word, Drop a word (May '10) 14 min Jackie 28,198
Andy Beshear Next KY Governor!!! 1 hr my opinion 158
Anyone know of real haunted places in Pikeville (May '09) 5 hr amandasue 78
Add-A-Word(tm) (Oct '09) 7 hr Visitor Bob 307
dirty state police 8 hr Trash 18
PMC PInk Slips 9 hr Anytime 68

Pikeville Jobs