Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 163822 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#135243 Aug 4, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that Jesus was a new ager of his time, an ordinary man and that some of his message was pulled from kinder gentler (thus less popular among the mainstream and conservative establishment) Torah passages. What I have contention with is the comparison considering the lack of originality of modern hippies and new agers.
Few people have many new ideas, and I doubt most the ideas Jesus spoke of were really all that new, or original to him. As I said, he did learn from John the Baptist and probably many others. His background is really not known. He was simply the man who became famous for putting out some radical ideas that were not yet mainstream. Heck, even centuries after him, they were yet to be mainstream. And as we have pointed out, conservatives love to claim Jesus, yet do not do as he says. They are not the sort who follow ideas like turning the other cheek, or living a commune lifestyle.
So it is still not fully mainstream.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#135244 Aug 4, 2014
AAA wrote:
All that insightfullness coming from someone who thinks he evolved from a rock,, of course he can't tell you where the rock came from, but he evolved from it non the less! Lol.!!
Still debating straw men?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#135245 Aug 4, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I remind you again, Catholics wrote your Bible and every bible in the world is an offshoot from it.
Judaism is not a race, it's a religion. Mind your bigotry. There can be doubt who the father is, but there isn't any of who the mother is. It's a practicality thing, you wouldn't understand.
You love a story so much you are delusional over it. It's just Spock ears and hobbit feet costumed conventioneers taken to the extreme.
Question is, who was Jesus' father? Was it Joseph, god or some other dude? No one knows for sure.
I never understood the reason Catholics put Mary on a pedestal. Does anyone here know?
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#135246 Aug 4, 2014
concerned wrote:
The danger in teaching the Bible is that this book has the power to create faith even in an atheist. If it is allowed to be taught there is a strong possibility someone could be converted to Jesus Christ. Under the current world views is it possible to allow such a powerful tool for good to be taught in public schools and that before the young minds of the future?
are you at all amazed that the topic you started is still going strong? have you participated throughout the long discussion? any reactions in general?
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#135247 Aug 4, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Question is, who was Jesus' father? Was it Joseph, god or some other dude? No one knows for sure.
I never understood the reason Catholics put Mary on a pedestal. Does anyone here know?
hi, I can make a guess. The old heritage of female gods still probably had a hold on some minds - the notion of a loving mother that would give unconditional love, at its best.(the angry woman who loses her temper and acts unjustly, or the bossy one who dominates the small child at the worst.) I think one reason people like the notion of Jesus as a route to forgiveness is that they still want such unconditional love and forgiveness. Jesus seems to have many androgynous qualities as he is often portrayed - despite the beard. He is loving and watchful with children and animals in most portrayals.- all the idealized pictures of him with sheep for example.

The angry God of the old Testament is no loving father. Love me or I'll send you to hell is not unconditional love. Many times people think of a kind protective mother as a sort of intercessor to save a child from a domineering unjust father''s harsh treatment. People still want that. And I think secretly people would like to have men be just and not domineering, and yet still manly.

Nice to see your comments continuing here. It gives me a good feeling to know the wise approach is still being argued effectively. I am still very content as an ethical ecumenical agnostic athiest, but I have a notion that people who are idiots want to remain idiots and that it is not worth my time to argue with them. I have been too busy with the superior creatures of this world - dogs and cats - to worry about superstitious persons. Even Walt Whitman took refuge in them, for all his celebration of various sorts of persons.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#135248 Aug 4, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Question is, who was Jesus' father? Was it Joseph, god or some other dude? No one knows for sure.
first of all, I am not sure there was such a person as Jesus, let alone a son of God or a part of God. He could be a composite of many prophets, peachers, and wannabe Messiahs, plus some teachings of the Essenes.
Second, if he existed, his mother would not have told the name of the father, since she could not dare risk being stoned to death by the idiot evil persons who always blamed the woman, ieven if she were raped. Still lots of those types around, though mainly in Islamic societies.
Honor killings killing women are particularly vicious - even worse than the wild west version of killing both the wife and her lover!

Have you read Kahil Gibran's books? He was a strong advocate for women's rights. And now the news is reporting that things in Afghanistan are going badly, with the two candidates for leader refusing to give up or compromise, and risking being too weak to lead resistance to Taliban re-takeover. Horrid people! I like Netanyahu no better - I loved Kerry's so-called slip when he said, "some pinpoint". I thik we should get Palin, McCain Graham Cruz and Ernst and King and co to lead a Christian rightwing private army and go over and intervene, at the expense of the Koch Bros. Tell them God wants them to raise another Crusade and send them over to see what happens.
AAA

United States

#135249 Aug 4, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Still debating straw men?
Debating?? Lol.!! Debating what your belief of where you came from? Lol.!!

No one blames you for not wanting to debate that crazy idea!!
El Hijo de curiosidad

Winter Garden, FL

#135250 Aug 4, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Do you feel I should tell him how silly crazy eating what you believe to be human flesh is? Sometimes it is better to not tell the whole story to all. The division of family would not be worth it. And thus I go to church with him on occasion. Last time was at his brothers funeral.
By your reasoning, I should never criticize Catholicism.
I guess you just cannot relate, as I am sure your parents are Christian as you are. Likely even the same sect as yourself.
Hmmmmm, Your parents eat what they believe to be human flesh? Are you claiming they are cannibals?
Can you clarify what you mean by" Sometimes it is better not to tell the whole story?

Are you using that as an excuse to justify your boorish behaviour?

Why do you bother to attend Mass with your father and then condemn him for attending Mass?

You must be aware that there is a difference between constructive criticism and misguided opinions... Or maybe not

Yes, my parents are Christian,as I am. I am very thankful they are Christians.

I am very thankful that they taught me to respect them and God.

Regardless of their beliefs, I can think of no reason why I would ever consider ridiculing my father or mother...
That is not how I was raised.. Thank God for that...

Flint hill bandit

Elizabethtown, KY

#135251 Aug 5, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Still debating straw men?
I read it more of as a fact!

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#135252 Aug 5, 2014
spaceship wrote:
I was shocked that Florida with all the bible thumpers, JW's, Mormon and other Christians who preach in that state has not address this issue as they do gay marriages , why is that, that all you get is a ticket for thumping Mr. Ed. I then saw how wide spread this bestiality is by CINO's.
Where did this activity start, of course in the ancient religions.
"Donkey Sex: The Most Bizarre Tradition", on YouTube
A YouTube documentary that is not censored except for the actual act.
I will not provide a link for this because it shows god fearing "CINOs" believers encourage young teens or boys to engage in this disturbing activity.
I think Aleister Crowley had a sex cult ( religion ) that Involved bestiality, his gf and others had sex with goats..
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#135253 Aug 5, 2014
spaceship wrote:
<quoted text>
As a Christian what side of the debate are you on regarding Latin American children trying to escape poverty,starvation and sex exploitation by CINOs in their country? Should they be turned away by true Christians? What would Jesus do?
(1) You do not KNOW the truth about why they are coming, what they went through getting here, who is coming, or even the ages of the majority of them coming!

(2) Jesus NEVER condoned Lawlessness!(give unto Cesar...)

(3) We HAVE a way for them to come in!

I would send the message that this is NOT the way, and not to send your kids here...
I would Feed them, clean them, and SEND them back!
We give their countries plenty of money for their well being...

What would YOU do about the children that belongs here...
Those children who's parents cannot find a job to feed their kids
because of this admins destructive policies???

Would you Impeach your king?

When Jesus gets back here... He'll fix ALL of this, and
I cannot wait for that day!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#135254 Aug 5, 2014
spaceship wrote:
Where are the Christians? Never mind ..debating with atheists... Texas needs a exorcism. YAA you're calling is awaiting you.
Texas bans gay marriage on the grounds that it will lead to things like bestiality, except that bestiality OK?
Bestiality is currently legal in many states (such as Texas)
Map of the Day: Bestiality-Friendly States
http://www.motherjones.com/rights-stuff/2010/...
Romans
6:23 For the wages of sin [is] death: but the gift of God [is]
eternal life, through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Sick world out there!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#135255 Aug 5, 2014
spaceship wrote:
I was shocked that Florida with all the bible thumpers, JW's, Mormon and other Christians who preach in that state has not address this issue as they do gay marriages , why is that, that all you get is a ticket for thumping Mr. Ed. I then saw how wide spread this bestiality is by CINO's.
Where did this activity start, of course in the ancient religions.
"Donkey Sex: The Most Bizarre Tradition", on YouTube
A YouTube documentary that is not censored except for the actual act.
I will not provide a link for this because it shows god fearing "CINOs" believers encourage young teens or boys to engage in this disturbing activity.
You cannot prove any one that claims to be a Christian is doing this...
I guess that's why you use CINO... because NO True Christian would do this!

Unlike Pagans that do this all the time....
Notice.... there is no PINOS...
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#135256 Aug 5, 2014
Romans
6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin; but
ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was
delivered you.
6:18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of
righteousness.
6:19 I speak after the manner of men, because of the infirmity
of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to
uncleanness and to iniquity, to ([work]) iniquity; even so now
yield your members servants to righteousness, to ([work])
holiness.
6:20 For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from
righteousness.
6:21 What fruit had ye then in those things of which ye are now
ashamed? for the end of those things [is] death.
6:22 But now being made free from sin, and having become
servants to God, ye have your fruit to holiness, and the end
everlasting life.
6:23 For the wages of sin [is] death: but the gift of God [is]
eternal life, through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Thank you Jesus!
SNYB

Brodhead, KY

#135257 Aug 5, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>(1) You do not KNOW the truth about why they are coming, what they went through getting here, who is coming, or even the ages of the majority of them coming!
(2) Jesus NEVER condoned Lawlessness!(give unto Cesar...)
(3) We HAVE a way for them to come in!
I would send the message that this is NOT the way, and not to send your kids here...
I would Feed them, clean them, and SEND them back!
We give their countries plenty of money for their well being...
What would YOU do about the children that belongs here...
Those children who's parents cannot find a job to feed their kids
because of this admins destructive policies???
Would you Impeach your king?
When Jesus gets back here... He'll fix ALL of this, and
I cannot wait for that day!
Good answer YaA.

(Because just feigning to be a bleeding heart liberal, willfully ignorant of policies and procedures, perched on a soapbox of "self righteous" whineDUHm, never did a dotdamn thing to make the world a better place.)
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#135258 Aug 5, 2014
God Bless Israel!

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#135259 Aug 5, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
The Bible gives a different account of Jesus' parentage than the hype does, Matthew provides Jesus' lineage through his father (Joseph). Luke gives his lineage through Mary - or at least that is how the discrepancy between the two genealogies is usually accounted for.
From what I gather, the Catholic story is that Mary was prepared to be the immaculate vessel for the Christ by herself (also) being born from a virgin.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#135260 Aug 5, 2014
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>You cannot prove any one that claims to be a Christian is doing this...
I guess that's why you use CINO... because NO True Christian would do this!
Unlike Pagans that do this all the time....
Notice.... there is no PINOS...
What's good for the goose, YaA. You can't prove that pagans "do this all the time." What makes you think there are no PINOs when you haven't given a definition of what you think a pagan is?
But then, honesty and evidence has never been your field of expertise.
El Hijo de curiosidad

Winter Garden, FL

#135261 Aug 5, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
If you need an answer related to Catholicism,it would seem best to address that question to a Catholic..

Why not ask your father?

Just saying
Flint hill bandit

Elizabethtown, KY

#135262 Aug 5, 2014
El Hijo de curiosidad wrote:
<quoted text>
If you need an answer related to Catholicism,it would seem best to address that question to a Catholic..
Why not ask your father?
Just saying
Yes MOD.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
robbie wright (Aug '09) 22 min curioous 23
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... (Jul '14) 37 min Kyboy 36,754
Hillary Clinton OUR next President (Jun '15) 1 hr A Hillary Deport... 4,771
The Gospel Redemmers 1 hr Girl balls 66
Need to know 2 hr Miranda 1
Bank 253 Gang Bang 3 hr tell us 4
Daughters Jealous Of There Mother 3 hr Word proper 3
Pam May Thu Mickeypicky 33

Pikeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pikeville Mortgages