Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,110

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
SistaNoneYew

Manchester, KY

#130519 May 12, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I hope some of your instincts are good, as you would be a really bad person if they were not, as you sure are not using your rational mind much.
Just because I have my own opinion, which probably differs greatly from yours, doesn't mean it isn't rational.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#130520 May 12, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>Huh? Every airfoil, atomizer and carburetor ever built demonstrates the Bernoulli Principle. It is testable and repeatable. Bernoulli's equations are correct, as are Newton's.
Your religious "experiences" and feelings are not at all in the same category as a theory. They are not and cannot be demonstrated except by rhetoric, which is not fact, If it were, I could say that "I feel that" all dandelions are blue and given a large enough consensus of followers, all dandelions would be blue.
I'm talking about evidence. You make decisions about all you know now based on evidence you have at the moment. Several years ago a scientist came forth with evidence that Bernoulli was wrong. There are some that still think this. Just an example.

Location hidden

#130521 May 12, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>Choosing not to act is an action.

If the police knew that you were planning to kill me and had the means to easily stop you, and they instead did nothing, there would be a huge uproar and they'd get fired.
I agree. What's your point, as I assume this was meant to be a comment that was against me.

Location hidden

#130522 May 12, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>How does one distinguish a legitimate prophet from a phony?
Usually by invoking or performing acts of God (healing the sick, parting the Red Sea, bringing back someone from the dead, etc) or maybe by predicting future events by vision or word from God, or by teaching doctrine that invites the presence of the Holy Ghost that can be felt by all, or maybe by using the keys of the priesthood, or by calling angels from Heaven to minister to others. These are just off the top of my head. I'll think of more.

Location hidden

#130523 May 12, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>That sounds like pretty poor teaching, then. He wasn't teaching quantum mechanics.

do whut wrote, "
It makes total sense that you need to understand the fundamentals before you can understand the deeper doctrines. It really isn't dissimilar to math, or physics, or chemistry. My 6 year old is learning addition and subtraction but is not learning division or multiplication yet, and certainly not algebra. "

What "doesn't make sense" is needing faith before other knowledge can be gained.
He continuously said His kingdom was not of this world. So why would you expect His doctrine to be of this world? Before you can understand His kingdom you have to first open your mind to the possibility that He is speaking the truth.

Location hidden

#130524 May 12, 2014
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>Can you think of any prophets who did die for their claims?
John the Baptist

Location hidden

#130525 May 12, 2014
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>Just curious, but is that a testimonial for ldssingles?
I wouldn't pay much heed to his curiosity, Khatru. According to the myth Cain boinked his sister and just look at the caliber of towering intellects that have graced the hallowed halls of religion ever since.
It's a legitimate question. Can you answer it?

Location hidden

#130526 May 12, 2014
spaceship wrote:
<quoted text>The writer could have said God blink and appear out of nowhere . A dramatic and fearsome display of his presence. Most likely using the imagery of volcano eruption to enhance the story line.

Does this sound familiar?

Exodus 19:18
Mount Sinai was covered with smoke, because the LORD descended on it in fire. The smoke billowed up from it like smoke from a furnace, and the whole mountain trembled violently.
I guess it could be. Not sure if there are volcanos in that part of the world. But God showed Himself by parting the Red Sea so I guess it's possible.

Location hidden

#130527 May 12, 2014
justice_- wrote:
<quoted text>Yes you do need to explain . Pay attention I DO BELIEVE IN GOD!!!
I don't believe in your bible or any other book that requires personification of God.
This is one of the great misconceptions that Satan has introduced to the world. The Bible teaches that God has a body similar to ours. We are made in His image. But those that gathered in Nicea to try to comprehend the scriptures and define doctrines messed up the nature of God so we would think He is some floating mass with no shape. You cannot worship what you cannot comprehend. God has flesh and bones just as we do. Stephen for example said He saw God on His throne and Jesus at His right hand.
I'm sorry you do not believe this.

Location hidden

#130528 May 12, 2014
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Here's a problem with this view. You can plug any belief into it that requires faith and it remains unchanged. Throw a dart, hit a religion, follow it. As long as the requirements of the faith can survive in society the religion will survive.

And it's truth claims remain as weak as pond water.
I apparently made good points that you cannot address directly

Location hidden

#130529 May 12, 2014
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>No. Just because someone "believes he has" does not make it possible.

Also, this is TERRIBLE. Imagine your child was raped to death. Now hear someone talk about a child who narrowly escaped such a fate. Now hear that person say "God was with my baby."

Now imagine how you're feeling about your child.

And understand that all of this is being believed WITH NO EVIDENCE.

This is why when you hear a plane crash survivor give glory to god you want to punch that person in the face for the implied insult they just lobbed to everyone who died and all their friends and families.

"I'm special. I guess your brother wasn't."
Bad things happen to both good and bad people. To guilty and guiltless. The rain falls on both the righteous and unrighteous. We don't know why. We aren't happy about tragedy. None of us. But we don't fault God when a man does a horrible thing to another individual. It doesn't mean that person deserved it, or that God abandoned them. We would love to know the will of God in all things, but we don't in this life. It is easy to get mad and blame God when bad things happen to good people while good things happen to bad people, or in the scenario that you describe. But separating yourself from God in these times will only hurt you more. The righteous that suffer find their reward magnified in Heaven. Those that cause this suffering to others will see no such reward. As bitter as I would be, I would try to keep that eternal perspective. In my weakness I would be tempted to exact my judgment and punishment right then but that isn't right.

Location hidden

#130530 May 12, 2014
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>I actually meant to say LDS is "not VERY different". I left a word out, sorry.

The point is you start with Jesus. I don't even have to go as far as the ridiculous story of Joseph Smith's magic rocks to say that I don't believe in your religion. We only need to go as far as Genesis putting the light before the sun to know that this religion is mythology like all other religions. Cool, interesting, useful in a good D&D game...but not true.
Your opinion you are entitled to.

Location hidden

#130531 May 12, 2014
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>OK. If there is free will in heaven is there suffering in heaven?
No

Location hidden

#130532 May 12, 2014
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>If I knew that god was real, all powerful, and all knowing, and all that jazz then I would - AT LEAST - stop worshiping him. After all, if he was unwilling to prevent my murder when it would cost him NOTHING to do so then who needs that a**hole? Right?

I'm not arguing that he should be convicted of murder (although, given the bloodbaths of the Bible, he should be).

Also, doesn't it seem incredibly wrong that the sins of a hypothetical man and woman living thousands of years go should still be considered your sins? I think that is one of the most atrocious tenets of your religion. It is insulting and cruel to think that way. You follow a faith that tells you that you are born diseased and the church has a cure. It's a good scam, when you think about it.

Think about it.
We are not responsible for the actions of Adam. His sin is not upon our heads. This has been atoned for. My religion does not believe we are born into sin at all. Just the opposite. We believe children are innocent until they reach the age of accountability. Before that, their parents are accountable for them. I have thought about it obviously, which is why I'm not Catholic.
The consequence remains. Death was introduced after the fall of Adam which was God's plan after all. Without death, we could not return to live with Him.

Location hidden

#130533 May 12, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>The thought of a brother and sister having sex makes my skin crawl.

However, if as you say, protection is used and if it is wholly consensual between the two parties, there is little that is morally wrong with incest.
But you used it earlier as if it were morally wrong. And why does it make your skin crawl?

Location hidden

#130534 May 12, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>There are further errors in scriptures that you don't mention: errors in composition, logic and arithmetic.

The sort of thing that hardly befits the word of the supreme cosmic creator being.
Men wrote the Bible. They were inspired by God, but they weren't perfect either. Then even less perfect men tried to shape the Bible in its canonization and even choose what should and shouldn't be included.
Actions of men don't nullify God. This is one of the main reasons He sent the Holy Ghost to us.

Location hidden

#130535 May 12, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>If he can do one, then why not all?

Tens of thousands of children die every week from famine, disease or being killed by other humans.
For some, their work is already done. And if He did, many would just complain that He is allowing the population to go out of control so that we all die.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#130536 May 12, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
There you go again with your strawman arguments. You'll never get anywhere by making such unsound assumptions.
What was it your guy said about building your house on sand?
You know full well that I said incest would have to be consensual. Your report clearly states that it's not by referring to the victim. If it was truly consensual there is no victim.
You're firing blanks, curious.
Most paedophiles admit to be gay?
Your link didn't work but I notice you're bring bisexual into the equation now. No doubt an attempt to bolster your hatred and homophobia with more strawmen.
Lying about having one moniker does not hurt anyone, lying about your location does not hurt anyone.
You have taken debauchery, lecherousness and complete and total disregard for the wellbeing of one's family to the basest and ignoble level imaginable.
Based on your code , the father, the head of the family and supposedly the one who is most responsible for the wellbeing and protection of his family,has instead become it's greatest and most dangerous predator.
You would permit your son to have sex with your daughter and his mother,as long as they consented.
You find it morally acceptable to have sex wuith your son ,and/or daughter as long as they consent.
Moreover,you seem to believe that those members of your family who choose to participate in this kind of aberrant behaviour are mentally sound and will not be adversely affected.
What may be most disturbing of all is that there are other atheits who believe as you do..
Your self righteousness and sense of decency makes you a prime candidate for those who deserve to be stoned . It is no small wonder that you hate Moses and God........

Your faith and moral code are not built on sand , they are built on an overloaded open latrine
curious

Ocoee, FL

#130537 May 12, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>The cross may very well be considered a historic relic, but that does not mean it is no longer a symbol of Christianity at the same time. Lots of symbols of Christianity are historic relics.
Claiming I make inane comments means nothing if you cannot show what I said that was inane and why. You failed to do so here.
I really could give a shit who you think I am. Either way, you fail to show what I said as wrong.
Your comments are inane. The fact you can't admit it is your problem. You knew full well the topic in question was the 9/11 cross and that is not a symbol of Christianity ,nor is it intended to be,AS you well know. That you make inane comments in order to defend your faith is a common occurence....As usual, in your mentally unbalanced minde always right. I don't give a rats ass about your selfcentered opinions , regardless of which moniker you use..
Fact is , I don't think I know who you are , but I do know you use multiple monikers , fot which I provided ample evidence which you have no choice but to deny and have to send errand boys like Chroe to try and cover your tracks....
Glad you posted your views on incest, shows the scurrilous source from which you adopt your morals. Your hatred of God and Moses is quite understandable . If you had lived inOT times no doubt you scurrilous morals would have gotten you stoned....
curious

Ocoee, FL

#130538 May 12, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
But you used it earlier as if it were morally wrong. And why does it make your skin crawl?
I think he meant it makes his skin crawl with desire......
Otherwise how can you condone and condemn the same behaviour....
Guess only an atheist can both justify and condemn in defense of their faith......

Slinkys have no backbone....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 5 min The Apostle 7,216
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 18 min Cornelius Scudmister 155,457
Steak and shake 35 min Lol 5
Was Candidate Ray Set Up at Expo Concert? 1 hr Ashamed 21
Add a word, Drop a word (May '10) 1 hr Tigger 21,649
Word Association (Aug '11) 1 hr Jennifer Renee 5,131
paris cowboy = music 2 hr MUSICK-NESS 207
the expo does it again! 13 hr Observer 46
Facebook parents that think there kids are royalty 15 hr Courtney 94
Valley Elementary Teacher having an affair? 23 hr thankful 58

Pikeville Jobs

Pikeville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Pikeville News, Events & Info