Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 158246 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#119190 Dec 18, 2013
SistanoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Hatred and intolerence of others beliefs should not be allowed around children-it perpetuates disrespect torwards others, like what your posts exhibit.
Which is why the bible needs to be kept out of the classroom.

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#119191 Dec 18, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
The sozi is not worth the effort.
Known Fact

Orlando, FL

#119192 Dec 19, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you 100%
What do you think of the false religion of Evolution? Don't you think it needs to be kept out of the classroom as well?

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#119193 Dec 19, 2013
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
My beliefs and Faith will not be swayed by the unfounded opinions of those who will attempt to deceive me......
Understood... You do a much better job of deceiving yourself than any outside source could ever do...

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#119194 Dec 19, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you 100%
What do you think of the false religion of Evolution? Don't you think it needs to be kept out of the classroom as well?
You simply do not understand that one is based on Evidence and one is based on faith with no Evidence... By your comment you have not idea what religion even is do you...

Since: Dec 13

Turku, Finland

#119195 Dec 19, 2013
Well, if you want to breed killers and terrorists, start teaching Bible and Christian history (full of blood shed after they had means to wage wars)
So true

Raywick, KY

#119196 Dec 19, 2013
Whatever u each may feel, on the meaning of Christmas , I think the children r the ones that matter, in it. Do u never recall not sleeping all nite, thinking u r hearing Santa? Him flying over or trotting in ur living room? Do u ever recall peppermint sticks or cookies left out for him? Did ur heart not tumble as u woke that morning with excitement? Well mine did, as I'm sure each and everyone of us did at sometime in out childhood. No a lot of us r not children anymore but we have kids who do the same thing each year. Now believe as you may, celebrate as you may. But for me it is all about Christ and the love that comes from him , that we each r so blessed to be able to show our loved ones each and ever day. So we as adults get to experience that little twinkle we had as a child from the eyes of a child all over again. Santa gives them hope, and for some they may never receive the first present this year. So instead of arguing of what this season means. Let the children be the reason (God also) for the season and spend ur 12 days of Christmas creating joy for a child who may not ever get that little twinkle, of a Barbie, or red wagon, or a new bicycle on the porch. Make your childhood memories a memory for a child who might not be so lucky!!! Sorry so lengthy but we all can do more!!! Happy holidays, and merry Christmas .. May u all be warm and well feed and lend a hand to , give someone less fortunate the same!!!
SistanoneYa

Aurora, OH

#119197 Dec 19, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
It is-and has been for a LONG, long time.

Not that doing so has helped the masses levels of reading comprehension, because obviously from just looking at this thread, many that have STILL yet to have been actually, able to discern intelligibly, WHAT the initial article was stating, or there wouldn't be any posts whining as if anyone WERE teaching "religion" in schools...save for the low levels of comprehsnion idiot communisTic type haters, of ANYTHING they don't comprehend, or that which is different from what they do(or don't) believe.
SistanoneYa

Aurora, OH

#119199 Dec 19, 2013
straight-forward wrote:
Well, if you want to breed killers and terrorists, start teaching Bible and Christian history (full of blood shed after they had means to wage wars)
The Bible is a BOOK, just like many others, with good parts and bad parts.

We just need to keep NUTCASES out of schools, that only wish to propagate hatred, bigotry, wickedness, intolerance and ignorance and other unsavory elements to the masses that attend them each day.
SistanoneYa

Aurora, OH

#119200 Dec 19, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Understood... You do a much better job of deceiving yourself than any outside source could ever do...
My beliefs and faith will never be swayed either Quantumn.

FEEL IT.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search...

Merry CHRISTmas.

:-)
SistanoneYa

Aurora, OH

#119201 Dec 19, 2013
Or rather instead-the

STRAIGHT FORWARD link--

Just BEAUTIFUL...ALL the way around.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#119202 Dec 19, 2013
SistanoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
It is-and has been for a LONG, long time.
Not that doing so has helped the masses levels of reading comprehension, because obviously from just looking at this thread, many that have STILL yet to have been actually, able to discern intelligibly, WHAT the initial article was stating, or there wouldn't be any posts whining as if anyone WERE teaching "religion" in schools...save for the low levels of comprehsnion idiot communisTic type haters, of ANYTHING they don't comprehend, or that which is different from what they do(or don't) believe.
Known Fact would put the Watchtower on every desk, Do Whut would release kids from school to attend BOM studies. YaA would have a Bible in every locker. Curious is just plain senile and cantankerous.
On the other hand, each of your "opponents" knows that the original article was about elective secondary school humanities and western civilization classes, not a compulsory religious Bible study in primary grades. Like civics, history and science, it's another of many points that seems beyond the grasp of the xtian posters. The worst schools in performance are also the ones that are deepest in the Bible belt. That isn't an empty allegation - I posted the stats months ago. The only ones "whining" about religion in schools are the religies who aren't having their way with the student curriculum.
SistaNoneYa

Aurora, OH

#119203 Dec 19, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Known Fact would put the Watchtower on every desk, Do Whut would release kids from school to attend BOM studies. YaA would have a Bible in every locker. Curious is just plain senile and cantankerous.
On the other hand, each of your "opponents" knows that the original article was about elective secondary school humanities and western civilization classes, not a compulsory religious Bible study in primary grades. Like civics, history and science, it's another of many points that seems beyond the grasp of the xtian posters. The worst schools in performance are also the ones that are deepest in the Bible belt. That isn't an empty allegation - I posted the stats months ago. The only ones "whining" about religion in schools are the religies who aren't having their way with the student curriculum.
Be HONEST. The athiests are whining the UGLIEST.

But it is refreshing to read-

"The original article was about elective secondary school humanities and western civilization classes, not a compulsory religious Bible study"...

That at least SOME-DO actually still have some reading COMPREHENSION these days.

Thank you.

POINT EXACTLY.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#119204 Dec 19, 2013
SistanoneYa wrote:
Or rather instead-the
STRAIGHT FORWARD link--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =BEJmP8T07JUXX
Just BEAUTIFUL...ALL the way around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“See how you are?”

Earth

#119205 Dec 19, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Be HONEST. The athiests are whining the UGLIEST.
But it is refreshing to read-
"The original article was about elective secondary school humanities and western civilization classes, not a compulsory religious Bible study"...
That at least SOME-DO actually still have some reading COMPREHENSION these days.
Thank you.
POINT EXACTLY.
You don't choose to perceive who is whining how about what and why. <shrug> Some of us have comprehension and others...well, abject incomprehensibility - look at Palin's new book, for example.
To be HONEST there is enough vehemence in the tit-for-tat to disgrace both the rational and the religious. To me, the UGLIEST lies in the lies, as it has for 16 centuries.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#119206 Dec 19, 2013
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Here; This is what ROSCH wrote;
"ATHEISM HAS A SUICIDE PROBLEM About a year ago a friend of mine died. He was the first person I take credit for de-converting away from theism to atheism. While I can’t say for certain that his death was suicide, I can’t rule it out. It has also been about four months now since the death of Humanist activist and friend Joe Fox. Joe was the reason I became the head of PhillyCoR and while he seemed like the happiest person you could know and was always there for anyone who needed help, he apparently secretly struggled with depression. I also have another friend who recently de-converted and is having a very difficult time adjusting to the reality that God doesn’t exist. While I don’t think he is suicidal, I would be surprised if he didn’t think about it at times. This is something we don’t like to admit,BUT IT IS TRUE
Says I, Rosch's first sentence ""ATHEISM HAS A SUICIDE PROBLEM" makes it very plain as to what the problem with Atheism is. He knows that the problem exists and cites instances for his beliefs. The last sentence indicates a state of denial by Atheists in admitting to the problem that afflicts them.
"This is something we don’t like to admit,BUT IT IS TRUE"
You try to defend this problem by claiming that these poor souls ,,having found out the truth,
such"truth"based on your unfounded opinions,whom you have deceived , by claiming that there is no God and no afterlife,as if that were the truth , not your opinion.
You can not prove the basis for your beliefs or opinions , so to claim to these poor victims that there is no God or afterlife , is clearly with the intent to deceive and mislead in order to force your beliefs on thJem.
Do you tell them beforehand that their decision can lead to their wanting to commit suicide,
depression , and other unwanted and destructive maladies?
Again , I believe that those who deconvert these poor souls , knowing the suffering and anguish they will have to deal with and be left on their own,to fend for themselves as best they can, these immoral perpetrators of such acts, should be held responsible for their inhumane and calloused actions and brought up on charges.
If a deconverted person takes his life as a result of his deconversion, the person responsible for that deconversion should be charged with knowingly contributing to that persons death.
Pure and simple
So you do not wish to discuss any of my points? Just as I predicted.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#119207 Dec 19, 2013
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
"ATHEISM HAS A SUICIDE PROBLEM About a year ago a friend of mine died. He was the first person I take credit for de-converting away from theism to atheism. While I can’t say for certain that his death was suicide, I can’t rule it out. It has also been about four months now since the death of Humanist activist and friend Joe Fox. Joe was the reason I became the head of PhillyCoR and while he seemed like the happiest person you could know and was always there for anyone who needed help, he apparently secretly struggled with depression. I also have another friend who recently de-converted and is having a very difficult time adjusting to the reality that God doesn’t exist. While I don’t think he is suicidal, I would be surprised if he didn’t think about it at times. This is something we don’t like to admit,BUT IT IS TRUE
Says I, Rosch's first sentence ""ATHEISM HAS A SUICIDE PROBLEM" makes it very plain as to what the problem with Atheism is. He knows that the problem exists and cites instances for his beliefs. The last sentence indicates a state of denial by Atheists in admitting to the problem that afflicts them.
You try to defend this problem by claiming that these poor souls ,,having found out the truth,
such"truth"based on your unfounded opinions,whom you have deceived , by claiming that there is no God and no afterlife,as if that were the truth , not your opinion.
You can not prove the basis for your beliefs or opinions , so to claim to these poor victims that there is no God or afterlife , is clearly with the intent to deceive and mislead in order to force your beliefs on them.
Do you tell them beforehand that their decision can lead to their wanting to commit suicide,
Again , I believe that those who deconvert these poor souls , knowing the suffering and anguish they will have to deal with and be left on their own,to fend for themselves as best they can, these immoral perpetrators of such acts, should be held responsible for their inhumane and calloused actions and brought up on charges.
If a deconverted person takes his life as a result of his deconversion, the person responsible for that deconversion should be charged with knowingly contributing to that persons death.
Pure and simple
So out of the two cases in question, one cannot even be determined a suicide, much less determining if atheist was part of the problem. The second one shows zero indication, atheism was the problem. It is like claiming people with mustaches have a suicide problem.

But I am here trying to discuss reasons a person may have a problem when realizing god is a myth, but you clearly do not wish to actually have a discussion. You addressed none of the points I made. No discussion.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#119208 Dec 19, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
Suggested reading for curious (In the hope that he might learn something. Yes, I am an optimist):
"Godless: How an Evangelical Preacher Became One of America's Leading Atheists" by Dan Baker (“Valuable in the human story are the reflections of intelligent and ethical people who listen to the voice of reason and who allow it to vanquish bigotry and superstition.")
"Deconverted: A Journey from Religion to Reason" by Seth Andrews (A former religious radio host raised in the cradle of Christianity, Seth Andrews battled his own doubts for many years.)
"Hope after Faith: An Ex-Pastor's Journey from Belief to Atheism " by Jerry DeWitt (Jerry DeWitt was born and bred into the church and was in fact a Pentecostal preacher before arriving at atheism through an extraordinary dialogue with faith that spanned more than a quarter of a century.)
"Why I Became an Atheist: A Former Preacher Rejects Christianity" by John W. Loftus ( For about two decades John W. Loftus was a devout evangelical Christian, an ordained minister of the Church of Christ, and an ardent apologist for Christianity. With three degrees-in philosophy, theology, and philosophy of religion-he was adept at using rational argumentation to defend the faith. But over the years, doubts about the credibility of key Christian tenets began to creep into his thinking.)
"Losing My Religion: How I Lost My Faith Reporting on Religion in America and Found Unexpected Peace" by William Lobdell
"Don't Sleep, There Are Snakes" by Daniel L. Everett (Daniel Everett came to the Pirahã as a Christian missionary. Thirty years later, he left an atheist.)
I read the first one you listed, by Dan Barker back when I was young to atheism. It would be a good one for new atheists to read because it teaches the sort of philosophy one could use when he does not follow the gods.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#119209 Dec 19, 2013
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You can not prove the basis for your beliefs or opinions , so to claim to these poor victims that there is no God or afterlife , is clearly with the intent to deceive and mislead in order to force your beliefs on them.
Pure and simple
A problem I see is, our culture does not teach a person the values of humanity in a secular way enough. It is always attached to a god, and thus when the person stops believing in gods, he could be confused to the ways of the world in a reality sense, without a god.
The book I spoke of in the last post speaks of this, and goes deep into the hope of mankind.
You see, hope can come in many forms, not just in the supernatural. One can have hope for his family and their long lived happiness on this world.
Personally, I think one can be happier without god, than with. Maybe it is my bias, but it is one reason I post here.
I feel religion gives false hopes. So it stands to reason, when those hopes are found to be false, it is possible the person could be in a state of confusion for a while. So in a sense, I am not entirely disagreeing with you on some of this. I just think you have taken the issue past what it really is, so you can push your agenda.
Now can you show any of my points as being invalid? If so, why? Try discussing for a change.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#119210 Dec 19, 2013
SistanoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Hardly. I know how you would struggle to try and live up to standards like my own self expecetd ones.
(baHAHAHAHAHA .duhmmy. lol)
Probably so, as it is clear, you cannot either. It is evidenced by your constant hypocritical statements.
And why must you tag every post with a negative comment at the end that has no relation to the issue? Just another example of your hypocrisy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump Health Care 14 min Happy Taylor 35
Add a word, Drop a word (May '10) 15 min Doug77 26,689
Smallest Crowd Ever 18 min Con job 37
Hillary Clinton OUR next President (Jun '15) 43 min Kyboy 3,661
~*~ Last Post Wins ~*~ (Aug '11) 1 hr darktainium 9,212
Registered Nurse - Pikeville medical center 2 hr Information 10
Trumps son in law 2 hr Rememberblacklies... 56
Pea and Wee PLLC 6 hr Red 37

Pikeville Jobs

More from around the web