Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 149854 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#115031 Oct 20, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Dukette , you ,the other Atheist and Atheist wannabes on this thread should get down on your knees everyday and thank God for having inspired the writing of the bible.
Were it not for his existence there would be no Atheists , you would be out of a job posting nonsense on topix and Witchetty would lose her job decorating Christmas trees.
The rest of ya would have nothing to do with your meaningless lives and would die of boredom.
Maybe now you will understand the meaning of
'"God allows the rain to fall on the good and evil alike"
So you were not able to refute my logic about the golden rule, so you whined like a bitch?
I will refute your logic here.
It makes no sense for me to thank something in which I do not believe.
If I had no god to debate about, I could easily fill my time talking politics. They are of the same mentality anyway.
If you looked at the history of my posts, you would see I left this thread for a long time in the election season. I did not leave topix, I just had other priorities.

Is it fun debating religion? Sometimes, but sometimes it just irritates me due to the lack of intellectual debate to be found. For instance ,you guys mostly just divert and never debate. I figure you just have no logical answers to my sound logic, so you resort to whining like bitches.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#115033 Oct 20, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
I think I'd look to some actual SCIENCE sites in an instance like that-gruntman.
Ya wanna be poitus of some pwetend little island fer a day...with mehbe some cloven feet, four arms, with snow peas that grow perpetually outa yer nostrils?
Wikistoopedia can hep yew wit that LOL
It might be apropos to answer your taunting with a similar depth of cleverness - but alas, baby talk is a lost language to me.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#115034 Oct 20, 2013
How stupid can you be wrote:
<quoted text>Yes I do!
God Created everything!
When you can make atoms, make them into molecules, turn them
into proteins, make them into DNA, and breathe life into to them...
Then, and only then, might your opinion matter on the subject
of God's ability of making a darned thing, AND
Knowing God is real... it still won't matter that much at all!
Good day!
So he created stars that blew up in one day to make heavy elements?
Stardust comes from exploding stars (suns). Oh, and some elements took more than one generation of stars to produce.
Sorry, but the six day timeline is clearly man made myth.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#115035 Oct 20, 2013
<quoted text>How do you breed a two dogs down to a puddle?
BTW... it's still a DOG!
And you can breed wolves down to dogs. They are categories that we humans put them into. It is called language. They are different, but have similarities. At some point the category may change.
Now if you looked at the fossil record, it looks like the breeding made for some dramatic changes over the course of millions of years. You can breed for dogs for a human lifetime and make some dramatic changes, but if you spent ten million years breeding, imagine the amount of change. It would look like the fossil record. The fossils match the predictions. Or maybe your god just made it look this way so we could have something to debate to pass our time.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#115036 Oct 20, 2013
<quoted text>Because....
GOD SAVED ME!
He is real, and you should try to get to know Him!
Not religion, not the building... Just Him!
The only "knowing" of a god is through religion.
If their was a real god, I would imagine the god would need no religion to communicate for him. He could use magic.
But you keep insisting we need the bible. When you contradict yourself, you make your claims look false. You do it constantly, as do most every Christian I have ever spoken too.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#115037 Oct 20, 2013
<quoted text>No!
God did not tell me to be Republican... it was the natural progression from evil towards Righteousness!
Now... I'm closer to the Tea Party, but....
I know America will not get back to it's original form
before the Lord's return, and it wouldn't matter if we did!
How many of those Democrats that Claim they are Christian...
Like abortion??? I know of one for sure!
Someone said they "like" abortion? Or do you just confuse freedom with what one might like or not?
I do not like religion, but I vote for freedom to worship. I know your god does not approve of freedom of worship, but who cares.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#115038 Oct 20, 2013
SistaNoneYaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
That's like talking about a bunch of sapling, now mature apple trees in many instances, pulled from the same orchard, after a couple of decades of just being transplanted into a different one.
Do you just make up your own insults (labels) or do you get this stuff somewhere?

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#115039 Oct 20, 2013
<quoted text>You exist!
I rest my case!
Good day!
Sorry, you'll need to do much better than that if you're going to refute my posts.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#115041 Oct 20, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>"I can choose not be indoctrinated"...
Yes you can, and so can your children...
That is why it's called an "Elective"!
But... IF your children wanted to go....
How would you live with yourself by denying them the chance?
One could simply send their kids to the local church. They are all over the damn place. They get tax free status in order to teach their propaganda and superstition.
Now if you wish the government to take this job, then the churches should lose the tax free status.

Since: Oct 13

Covington, KY

#115042 Oct 20, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>"I can choose not be indoctrinated"...
Yes you can, and so can your children...
That is why it's called an "Elective"!
But... IF your children wanted to go....
How would you live with yourself by denying them the chance?
r

That's right it's a choice as an elective and a lot of parents take their children to Sunday school and drop them off now if they have some affiliation to the church but those parents that don't know a church could still allow their children the benefit of learning of God and Christ in the words of the bible if it were available at school.

Only those who are following after the evil one or their own irrational fears would oppose the freedom we have to learn of the gospel wherever it is spoken of even in schools.

Our schools teach of mans ethics which will fail as we have seen but God tells of saving us through Jesus who is the light, the truth and the way.

The bible tells of love and forgiveness for those who believe in faith in god but those who oppose God and hate will reap what they sow, just as we can see as they oppose us even now, when they spew their hateful misguided words.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#115043 Oct 20, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
The "concocted story" revolves around a city issue. I found it in seconds. Why would you proclaim that because you are unaware of something (many things, actually) it is concocted, yet proclaim that the many groundless stories in a human written book are the inviolate words of a god?
If you found it , why not enlighten us with the location?
Is it a national secret , does revealing the location threaten national Securuty or is it a concoction made up of a Witches brew?
Der killen ander vanneldoff

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#115044 Oct 20, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>And you can breed wolves down to dogs. They are categories that we humans put them into. It is called language. They are different, but have similarities. At some point the category may change.
Now if you looked at the fossil record, it looks like the breeding made for some dramatic changes over the course of millions of years. You can breed for dogs for a human lifetime and make some dramatic changes, but if you spent ten million years breeding, imagine the amount of change. It would look like the fossil record. The fossils match the predictions. Or maybe your god just made it look this way so we could have something to debate to pass our time.
I have long held the opinion that the following quote says it all for religies and their knowledge of science and evolution.

"Everyone knows scientists insist on using complex terminology to make it harder for True Christians to refute their claims. Deoxyribonucleic Acid, for example... sounds impressive, right? But have you ever seen what happens if you put something in acid? It dissolves! If we had all this acid in our cells, we'd all dissolve! So much for the Theory of Evolution, Check MATE!"

I think it was "bi-curious" posting as "mantle" or one of its other monikers.

Cambridge, UK

#115045 Oct 20, 2013
<quoted text>Knowing God is real, how can we side with evil?
We cannot!
Science has it's good parts, but secularism...
well... that gave us Abortion, and MANY other sick things!
God is real, and once you understand that....
Repent, and get to Know God... you will be glad you did!
Er, no.

Your god gave us abortion.

Every stillbirth is one of your god's abortions. I know the rate varies around the world but over here around 1 in every 200 babies are stillborn.

That makes the christian god the biggest abortionist of them all.

How many pregnancies were terminated by your god when he drowned the earth?

Don't you guys believe that everything that happens is pre-determined by your god?

That means every abortion happens because he made it happen.

What's my view?

Abortion is a subject that certainly seems to polarise people.

I find it hard to be black and white over this. I think I'm more about greys.

Is a foetus a living human being? Does it have a conscience? Who knows? Maybe an egg/sperm are also part of the development process. Does that mean that birth control is murder? It might sound ridiculous but how do you know for sure?

Would you force a woman who was raped and impregnated by her father, or a woman whose heart would blow out during labour, to deliver those babies? Wouldn't you think that abortion is justifiable or are there no circumstances in your view where an abortion is justifiable?

"Abortion" is one of those words we have used so frequently that I sometimes wonder whether it's lost its meaning. Perhaps it's a euphemism for some kind of "right" or political "cause" instead of being the very private thing that it is.

I do think that it's lost its power to suggest what it means, the cessation of a life. I don't believe in a soul but there is living tissue and unlike a cancer which will reproduce one type of cell in the wrong place, the human embryo has only one destiny...to become a human being that will become a benefit or a liability to its society.

So........I really think it's impossible to have a satisfactory answer to the abortion issue.

I'm no fan of killing and I don't think we can be certain that any foetus under a certain number of weeks old isn't alive.

Having said that, I also feel that a woman's body is her own and if she feels it in her best interests to have an abortion then she should be provided with safe, supportive and non-judgmental advice and guidance. This, of course, means leaving spiritual "guidance" out of it. Well, for those that don't want spiritual guidance, anyway.

“There is no god.”

USA

#115046 Oct 20, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
How is asking about thermodynamics extremism?
If you ask a question they can not answer and throw in big words like thermodynamics they will soon start posting that you are persecuting them.

Cambridge, UK

#115047 Oct 20, 2013
<quoted text>Funny how you guys like to leave out these parts!
5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the
church, and gave himself for it;
5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of
water by the word,
5:27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not
having spot or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should
be holy and without blemish.
5:28 So ought men to love their wives, as their own bodies. He
that loveth his wife, loveth himself.
5:29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and
cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
5:30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his
bones.
5:31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and
shall be joined to his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
See... you only post the parts you want!
Buy a clue!
Strange how the verses you quote are few in number compared to mine.

A husband saying he is better than his wife at maths might well be a statement of fact.

A husband saying that he is the head of the family, that his wife does not have the same rights as he does, is unclean at certain times of the month, and if she has the temerity to have had a sex life before their marriage (or has otherwise lost her hymen) then he can have her killed....that would be chauvinism (at the very least).

All this makes perfect sense from a historical/cultural point of view.

It makes zero sense from the point of view that god had anything to with the Bible.

He "inspired" a book which while dwelling heavily on what to do with rogue oxen and metallic bovines, failed to mention penicillin and prohibit in certain terms ownership of other people. God found time to mention jealousy (while proudly claiming that sin for himself), but seemingly forgot to ban rape.

He designed women with a hymen, which is a thing that can tear under many circumstances...but allowed a society to flourish which would kill a woman for not having that sign of virginity.

Note that this need for virginity was neither wanted nor needed for menfolk.

Again, all this makes sense from a historical viewpoint. But it is laughably transparent that no omnipotent creator was anywhere near the Bible, at any point.

I don't see how the believer can have things both ways.

Either the Bible is simply a collection of writings from a brutal people living in a brutal time, and as such is a fascinating insight into our human history, or it is the work of a cruel and spiteful god who had a real downer on the women of the species.

“There is no god.”

USA

#115048 Oct 20, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, you'll need to do much better than that if you're going to refute my posts.
Don't hold your breath.

And thanks I agree "there are no gods".

Cambridge, UK

#115049 Oct 20, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt that YaA has any idea what the pi=3 reference is about.
Allowing for the thickness of the brim, if they'd used the ID as the circumference and the OD for the diameter of Solomon's Sea, they might get closer to 3 than 3.14.(Not saying that they did, just not willing to throw the craftsmen under the bus for the arrogance of the priests - who've been paid waaaay more for talking about it for 3,000 years than the laborers got for actually casting the thing.) IMO, the detail of that error is abysmally insignificant in comparison to the overwhelming and outrageous errors of the whole.
I take your point - it's valid and makes perfect sense to me.

The point I was making is that YaA takes the bible literally.

If he says the world was created in six days then he must also accept that Pi = 3

Which, of course, puts him in a bit of a spot.

“There is no god.”

USA

#115051 Oct 20, 2013
Apostle Amber wrote:
<quoted text>r
That's right it's a choice as an elective and a lot of parents take their children to Sunday school and drop them off now if they have some affiliation to the church but those parents that don't know a church could still allow their children the benefit of learning of God and Christ in the words of the bible if it were available at school.
Only those who are following after the evil one or their own irrational fears would oppose the freedom we have to learn of the gospel wherever it is spoken of even in schools.
Our schools teach of mans ethics which will fail as we have seen but God tells of saving us through Jesus who is the light, the truth and the way.
The bible tells of love and forgiveness for those who believe in faith in god but those who oppose God and hate will reap what they sow, just as we can see as they oppose us even now, when they spew their hateful misguided words.
Well god did create Arakis to train the faithful. One cannot go against the word of god. Were hemorrhoids a punishment? Of course they were it is written in the holy texts.

“There is no god.”

USA

#115053 Oct 20, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
She believes that nonsense.
It's no wonder she's so frightened.
Poor thing.
Religion creates the fear, then offers a cure for it.
What a racket...
"Religion creates the fear" and hate.

“Anyone who attempted to construe a personal view of god which conflicted with the church dogma must be burned without pity.”
pope innocent III

Love from the innocent.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#115054 Oct 20, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't hold your breath.
And thanks I agree "there are no gods".
Your advice to Khatru not to hold his breath is appropriate.
That bad habit of his has caused a lack of oxygen flow to that malfunctioning remaining cell which has further eroded his mental abilities.
And you are right , There are no Gods , there is one God.
And that God is so deeply imbedded in your subconscious that , regardless of your futile efforts to deny him , you can not get him out of your mind , continuously , incessantly and without pause,talking and writing about that which your misguided mind tells you does not exist.
Your incessant concocted denials are made null and void by the fact that you can not stop thinking and talking about that which you claim is nonexistent

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
God bless Donald trump !!!!! 2 hr Vote Trump 37
Why Are So Many People Leaving Pike County ? (May '11) 2 hr Math 964
Shame Shame Democrats Fart In 2 hr Miss Toilet 1
Baby Daddy???? 2 hr grab bag 6
p'villes hot cruizing spot 2 hr grab bag 4
Paul Patton Statue 3 hr Despising Patton 10
~*~ Last Post Wins ~*~ (Aug '11) 4 hr -Prince- 7,588
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... (Jul '14) 12 hr Uncle Tom 32,719

Pikeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pikeville Mortgages