Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 135,070

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Read more
curious

Ocoee, FL

#113976 Oct 4, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you mean the couple hundred "prophecies" that are so obscure and arbitrary that they could as easily mean "dogs will lay eggs in Chicago during the third full moon of August" or the handful that were specifically contrived when the Bible was compiled?
Either way, your post is complete Nonsense.
Hey , yiago ,for my benefit , can you point me to these prophecies that could easily mean"dogs will lay eggs in Chicago during the third full moon of August" and can you provide any evidence to those that"were specifically contrived when the bible was compiled"
I am not aware of any of those.
BTW The bible you were given,with your name engraved on it ,which you claim was stolen at a bible study,,,UMMMMM.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#113977 Oct 4, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>I have to add....
Everything written in the OT POINTS towards Christ, but
like you, and yours... They didn't 'want' to believe it!
Well that is how Christians see it, not Jews, Muslims, atheists.....
But just what does this have to do with the Catholics?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#113978 Oct 4, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>
All it takes is a little research to find the answer, and Gervais's opinion of the reason why. >People are willing to hire an atheist for a job that is perceived as low-trust, for instance as a waitress,” said Gervais.“But when hiring for a high-trust job like daycare worker, they were like, nope, not going to hire an atheist for that job.”
The antipathy does not seem to run both ways, though. Atheists are indifferent to religious belief when it comes to deciding who is trustworthy.
“Atheists don’t necessarily favour other atheists over Christians or anyone else,” he said.“They seem to think that religion is not an important signal for who you can trust.”
The researchers found that religious believers thought that descriptions of untrustworthy people — people who steal or cheat — were more likely to be atheists than Christians, Muslims, Jews, gays or feminists.
NOTE>...... Atheists don't necessarily favor other atheist over CHRISTIANS OR ANYONE ELSE!!!! in other words, they are less judgmental than that of the "Christian' they base their decision on things other than one's religious or irreligious background!
Something Christian's undoubtedly cannot do, as this study suggests!
Basically, Atheist are intelligent and can make rationale, un bias decisions without prejudice. As with Atheist, Religion is not an important factor when deciding whom to trust or not.
Interesting how Curious is not trustworthy enough to show the whole study. Or maybe he just did not take the initiative to look at the actual study because he found what he wanted in the article.
At the least, it shows he takes what he likes at face value and does not investigate to learn the whole story.
Either way, why trust someone like this?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#113979 Oct 4, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey ,Heinz 57, don't get mad cause I threw you under the bus with your many monikers.
If you feel you must discuss male body parts , you need to find someone else. Maybe Q will take that up with ya
That is not my hobby.
I prefer playing with your mind.
Biblical scholars say the books of the bible were not written by the claimed authors.
The writing style alone shows a single person did not write each book.
But I can see you take none of this into account for the bible or for topix.
We have very different writing styles, yet you think we are one person.
So you simply prove to us over and over how your mind works. It cannot be trusted.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#113981 Oct 4, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>He's surely NOT a Christian!
Says the person who claims the Pope is not a Christian! Kind of make the claim meaningless.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#113982 Oct 4, 2013
Apostle Amber wrote:
Jesus discussed scriptures as a young boy while in his fathers house with the scribes just as I feel our children should do to be prepared for whatever this world throws at them too if they read the bible and are free to discuss it like he did.
I would think every one of us knowing of God in our hearts because of the new covenant can express him liberally wherever we are and seek to please him as Christ did.
We have all sinned and need to accept Christ's forgiveness and grace but people stray so far away from the love of God that they are blind, dumb and deaf, even by choice in creating false fears to justify hiding their sin. When coming to Christ casts down fear even the fear of death.
It is because of this worlds meaningless distractions that neither produce fruit of the Spirit nor does the world provide a way like Christ does to be rich toward God.
It would've been good to give children the keys to true knowledge found in Gods word a long time ago instead of jumping all over prayer in school, Jesus said “When you pray, go to your room and close the door”(I believe prayer is individually shared between me and God but I do ask Jesus as my high priest and the Holy Spirit to help me).
Having the bible available to all in school and everywhere allows everyone to freely discuss the truths of life with each other and make well informed decisions on the paths they take in their own lives.
I believe you should give to Caesar what is Caesars and to God what is Gods whereas Caesar requires certain practices be met under guides lines but not to kneel down to an idol to do it or agree to false teachings because of pressure of an authority figure. Christian fellowship is wherever two or more are gathered together and it is in worshipping the true God of the bible.
Encouraging open discussion about the goodness of Gods love is better than living our children's lives for them only to have them rebel away once someone shows them only half truths or gives them false faith in worldly gain and pride.
You say all this as if Jesus and the bible is the undisputed word of a god. And here in lies the problem with teaching it in schools above all other beliefs. To claim the bible is the word of god is giving respect to a specific religious belief.
So the separation clause in the constitution applies.
Now, do you just wish to defy the constitution due to your religion?
And just why make it the job of government to introduce a religion? If you cannot do the job, or have tax exempt churches do the job, then you have just failed, or your religion has failed.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#113983 Oct 4, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>
I have found two of the six studies conducted in your post.... and proven both of them to be chock full of bigotry and prejudice....It's not my problem you lack the ability to understand that which you are reading!
My search is on going and I'm sure the outcome will be the same in the other 4 studies as with the two I've discovered...Bull $hit!
Continue your search .
I have never expressed my personal opinion on the degree of trust that I have for either Believers or Atheists.
That bigotry and prejudice exists is not anything new ,whether it be against atheists,Homosexuality ,minorities etal.
What I found amazing is the apparent bigotry and prejudice that exists among Atheists against their own.
According to the study , Atheists stated that other Atheists are not trustworthy.
You keep sidestepping that issue and throwing up smokscreens.
Personally , I don't care either way.
I posted it as a topic of discussion.
Each one can give it the interpretation that they wish.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#113985 Oct 4, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Dukette , You have the innate ability to close your eyes and read via your belly button.
Unfortunately the lint contained therein and the corrosion of your umbilical chord transmits garbled and hazy images to those few overworked and undernourished brain cells remaining in that vacuum.
At least ,that is what I attribute to your inability to read and comprehend what I posted.
Then again , it might just be due to IGNORANCIA.
If this is my "innate ability" then why did god make me this way? Do you know what "innate" means?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#113986 Oct 4, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
Mitt Romney, Obama or the Pope? which one is a Christian?
curious

Ocoee, FL

#113987 Oct 4, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>If this is my "innate ability" then why did god make me this way? Do you know what "innate" means?
Well , since you don't believe in God , I am fairly certain you will attribute your innate ability to the monkey and apes you claim as your ancestors.
Cest la vie
curious

Ocoee, FL

#113988 Oct 4, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Interesting how Curious is not trustworthy enough to show the whole study. Or maybe he just did not take the initiative to look at the actual study because he found what he wanted in the article.
At the least, it shows he takes what he likes at face value and does not investigate to learn the whole story.
I posted a study so it could be discussed. Anyone needing information on that subject could easily find it by a simple search.
No attempts were made to hide anything as all the information is available to the public.
The part I found interesting or perplexing is the opinion of Atheists that they trust believers more than they do their own.
I am sure that came as a shock to the Atheists on this website.
Now you seem to be blaming me for the results of said study.
Don't blame me , look to your own and chastise them for being bigots , if bigots is what they are.
Find out from your own why they feel toward other atheists the way they do.
It was not because of me or anything I said....
And it is not up to me to figure it out.
dedicate yourselves to cleaning up your own house instead of blaming the messenger for bringing the message to your attention

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#113989 Oct 4, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey , yiago ,for my benefit , can you point me to these prophecies that could easily mean"dogs will lay eggs in Chicago during the third full moon of August" and can you provide any evidence to those that"were specifically contrived when the bible was compiled"
I am not aware of any of those.
BTW The bible you were given,with your name engraved on it ,which you claim was stolen at a bible study,,,UMMMMM.
I'm not Yiago, I'm not Ummm and I don't give a rat's a-- what a bigot thinks about any "claim" I make.
As far as Bible prophesies of Christ, here ya go. Be a good bobblehead and knock yourself out rationalizing and justifying this heap of steaming irrelevancies.
SistaNoneYa

Manchester, KY

#113990 Oct 4, 2013
A rather interesting bit of news article-followed by a rather colorful comment lol.

Construction worker stumbles upon a rare, intact dinosaur fossil
1 day ago

A construction worker nearly destroyed a scientific treasure potentially millions of years in the making. While using a backhoe to clear a Canadian site for an oil pipeline, the worker uncovered a mostly intact fossil of a dinosaur tail — a very rare find, since most fossils are crushed or in pieces by the time they're excavated. Paleontologist Matthew Vavrek was called in to inspect the discovery and was amazed at the fossil's preservation. "The last time I've seen something like that was in a museum," Vavrek told CNN. "I've never found something like this before." Vavrek, his colleagues and the oil workers will be very gingerly excavating the site to see if they can find the other half of the unidentified dinosaur and if that part is as intact as its tail...(msnbcnews. NOW. 10/3/2013)

Followed by comment(s)--
"
Construction worker stumbles upon a rare, intact dinosaur fossil
1 day ago
Comment section-top of list-
"SO THEY FOUND A DINOSAUR'S TAILBONE ? WELL THEY BEST SHIP IT TO WASHINGTON D.C.

CAUSE NONE OF THOSES PUSSIES POLITICIAN HAVE ANY TAILBONE ! WAIT TILL ELECTION

DAT WHEN WE CAN VOTE EVERYONE OUT ! "

(commentor unknown)

----Just copying and pasting the quote lol.

Since: Sep 13

United States of America

#113991 Oct 4, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Continue your search .
I have never expressed my personal opinion on the degree of trust that I have for either Believers or Atheists.
That bigotry and prejudice exists is not anything new ,whether it be against atheists,Homosexuality ,minorities etal.
What I found amazing is the apparent bigotry and prejudice that exists among Atheists against their own.
According to the study , Atheists stated that other Atheists are not trustworthy.
You keep sidestepping that issue and throwing up smokscreens.
Personally , I don't care either way.
I posted it as a topic of discussion.
Each one can give it the interpretation that they wish.
What part do you not understand! You are stating that the Atheist Community has prejudice against their own, That statement is a blatant lie, as I have proven over and over again!
You are the one sidestepping the issue, which is---Christians are full of prejudice and bigotry against anyone who does not conform to their beliefs.
That study was merely pointing out that the Atheist Community does not base their opinion of a person's character simply on their religious or irreligious belief's. They review every angle of the situation, and come to a rationale, clear thought out decision, not based on a single aspect, such as the Religious do and the study you posted proved it!

United States of America

#113992 Oct 4, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Interesting how Curious is not trustworthy enough to show the whole study. Or maybe he just did not take the initiative to look at the actual study because he found what he wanted in the article.
What I also find interesting is how {Dick} head thinks that study paints the Atheist Community in a negative light, when in reality it is actually spotlighting the negativity of the Believer and/or Christians. I seriously doubt he understands the implications the Author is making towards the Religious Community!

He is so overwhelmed in trying to figure out how many Moniker's I, you, Chrom, and WITW have on this thread, that it is consuming what little sense he has left!

Since: Feb 12

Roseville, CA

#113993 Oct 4, 2013
John Boehner Has a Drinking Problem and Needs to GO .

Roseville, CA

#113994 Oct 4, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
Pope Francis says atheists can do good and go to heaven too!

http://www.catholic.org/hf/faith/story.php...

United States of America

#113997 Oct 4, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I posted a study so it could be discussed. Anyone needing information on that subject could easily find it by a simple search.
No attempts were made to hide anything as all the information is available to the public.
The part I found interesting or perplexing is the opinion of Atheists that they trust believers more than they do their own.
That is NOT what that study said, I have posted what that comment was referencing to, your idiocy refuses to allow you the sense to comprehend it's meaning. Let me break in down in child-like format for you so that you might finally grasp it. When it comes to a trust issue, an atheist will not simply put their trust in someone simply because of their religion or lack there of...they weigh all information equally, w/out bias or prejudice, UNLIKE THE CHRISTIANS AND BELIEVERS THAT WERE THE PARTICIPANTS IN THIS STUDY!
No part of that study did it explicitly say,,,, atheist trust Christians over other atheist.
That was YOUR interpretation, which was Wrong! because you left out the rest of the statement!
Known Fact

Kissimmee, FL

#113998 Oct 4, 2013
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>
Pope Francis says atheists can do good and go to heaven too!
http://www.catholic.org/hf/faith/story.php...
The Pope is not the judge!

Roseville, CA

#113999 Oct 4, 2013

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bruce Walters Motors Pikeville, KY 31 min Just me 11
Pike County Attorney Howard Keith Hall 1 hr Concerned 23
Our newly elected Pike County, Ky Officials-are... 1 hr aepward 8
Add a word, Drop a word (May '10) 2 hr Musikologist 23,806
Alethea Chaney 2 hr Whatt 4
Taxpayers Pay for Donavon and Barry Trip 4 hr Concerned pilot 2
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... (Jul '14) 4 hr Kyboy 24,662
Restaurant spreading Stomach Virus 6 hr Earl Pitts 15
Pikeville Dating
Find my Match