Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 151611 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

stuck in a lodi

Elkhorn City, KY

#109880 Aug 7, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Glad to see you actually answering the question asked.
I would want the books at the church to recognize I am no longer a member, but it has nothing to do with you guys knocking on my door wanting to talk to me.
Seems you automatically put the two together for some reason.
I thought only JW's knocked on peoples door, don't tell me others do to.
ugggh
stuck in a lodi

Elkhorn City, KY

#109881 Aug 7, 2013
The last J W that knocked on my door got a rude awakening when my dog took a bite outa their backside. If they are not smart enough to obey the No Trespassing signs and Beware of Dog signs, they deserve exactly what they get!
stuck in a lodi

Elkhorn City, KY

#109882 Aug 7, 2013
Come to think of it... had I recorded that incident and posted it on U Tube, It would have gotten millions of hits. It was funny seeing this robust woman running/skipping , reading material flying in all directions, and diving head first into a van with the sliding door open awaiting her entry! lmao Needless to say, I've not had any more unexpected visits from the JW.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#109883 Aug 7, 2013
SistaNoneYaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>Ever read anything on the Mahcabees? I tried mentioning it before, but you see how quickly the content level drops to one half a rung level above a ghetto gutter grate sometimes here sometimes.
There's just SO much to read on the subject matter, it's understandable how people can and do, spend a lifetime studying such!!

Sample-
The first of these reasons appears to be urged by Christ Himself in Matthew 22:23; the second reminds one of the words of St. Paul, 1 Corinthians 15:19, and 2 Thessalonians 1:4. Besides urging the foregoing arguments, the Fathers appeal also to certain analogies found in revelation and in nature itself, e.g. Jonas in the whale's belly, the three children in the fiery furnace, Daniel in the lions' den, the carrying away of Henoch and Elias, the raising of the dead, the blossoming of Aaron's rod, the preservation of the garments of the Israelites in the desert, the grain of seed dying and springing up again, the egg, the season of the year, the succession of day and night. Many pictures of early Christian art express these analogies.....

These three characteristics, identity, entirety, and immortality, will be common to the risen bodies of the just and the wicked. But the bodies of the saints shall be distinguished by four transcendent endowments, often called "Qualities".

The first is "impassibility", which shall place them beyond the reach of pain and inconvenience. "It is sown", says the Apostle, "in corruption, it shall rise in incorruption" (1 Corinthians 15:42). The Schoolmen call this quality impassibility', not incorruption, so as to mark it as a peculiarity of the glorified body; the bodies of the damned will be incorruptible indeed, but not impassible; they shall be subject to heat and cold, and all manner of pain.
The next quality is "brightness", or "glory", by which the bodies of the saints shall shine like the sun. "It is sown in dishonour," says the Apostle, "it shall rise in glory" (1 Corinthians 15:43; cf. Matthew 13:43; 17:2; Philippians 3:21). All the bodies of the saints shall be equally impassible, but they shall be endowed with different degrees of glory. According to St. Paul: "One is the glory of the sun, another the glory of the moon, another the glory of the stars. For star differeth from star in glory"'(1 Corinthians 15:41-42).
The third quality is that of "agility", by which the body shall be freed from its slowness of motion, and endowed with the capability of moving with the utmost facility and quickness wherever the soul pleases. The Apostle says: "It is sown in weakness, it shall rise in power" (1 Corinthians 15:43).
The fourth quality is "subtility", by which the body becomes subject to the absolute dominion of the soul. This is inferred from the words of the Apostle: "It is sown a natural body, it shall rise a spiritual body" (1 Corinthians 15:44). The body participates in the soul's more perfect and spiritual life to such an extent that it becomes itself like a spirit. We see this quality exemplified in the fact that Christ passed through material objects.

From: Maas, Anthony. "General Resurrection." The Catholic Encyclopedia. Vol. 12. New York: Robert Appleton Company, 1911. 7 Aug. 2013
I've heard of the Maccabees but not of the other that you posted. Interesting

Location hidden

#109884 Aug 7, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I get you have excuses for the double standard, but it is a double standard no matter how many excuses you have for the religion(not god)changing the standards.

Is an eye for an eye just "carnal and basic" where as "turn the other cheek" just a spiritual concept?

38 ¶ Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:

39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also.

Look, you can justify this double standard to yourself all you wish, but do not expect anyone who is not brainwashed full of excuses to accept your excuses as reasonable for a supposedly perfect god to be handing down. It reeks of mans hands, not of a gods hands.
I have pointed out your consistent double standards here and this shows why you have them. You have been trained to have double standards by religion.
Why is it a double standard that a different set of people that were not equally spiritually prepared were given different sets of rules?

The atonement of Jesus Christ changed everything. I'm sorry you don't understand this. I can keep trying to explain if you care to open your mind

Location hidden

#109885 Aug 7, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So being royalty is just the recurring coincidence? Sorry, but I see the coincidence as being the reason the claim is made for a priesthood bloodline.
But let me also point out that a bloodline for a priesthood is just as silly. Why? Because it is not really any different than the idea of inherited royalty/leadership.
Also, who would Joseph need to be related to David when Joe is not the paternal father of Jesus?
No, not total coincidence. There are several times in the OT in which the prophet was not royalty, but there are times when the prophet was also the king. This makes sense since they would have obeyed the man because he spoke God's words. But there were more prophets that were not royalty, by far.

Location hidden

#109886 Aug 7, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So being royalty is just the recurring coincidence? Sorry, but I see the coincidence as being the reason the claim is made for a priesthood bloodline.
But let me also point out that a bloodline for a priesthood is just as silly. Why? Because it is not really any different than the idea of inherited royalty/leadership.
Also, who would Joseph need to be related to David when Joe is not the paternal father of Jesus?
Joseph would have needed to have the priesthood as well to understand the prophecies foretold of this messiah that would be under his care. And the priesthood would have needed to be a part of that household.

Bloodline may not have been necessary, because I can confer the priesthood upon anyone that has sufficiently prepared themselves to receive it. But due to tradition, it was much safer to assume father would continue to pass it to his sons.

Location hidden

#109887 Aug 7, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So your standards for society being harmed is when terrorists strike? I see, but I have higher standards than yourself.

Yes, I have explained why your belief that if homosexuality were acceptable, no one would ever procreate, is just a stupid argument as it is insane to think everyone would resort to being homosexual.

So you believe god saved you? Why, so you could show stupid reasons to discriminate?
No, dude, stop twisting my words. You are the one that compared Mormons to Islamic extremist terrorists.

Yes I know God saved me. And I would assume it would be to care for the family that was put under my responsibility to provide for.

You speak of me discriminating. Have you noticed how your prickish comments only go one way? Notice I don't degrade you for your beliefs, and endure your hateful remarks? Hmmm and I discriminate?

Location hidden

#109888 Aug 7, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>"do so in righteousness"? Well that word is about as vague as one can get, so care to explain what "righteousness judgment" is?

I accept that you answered the double standard question. But an excuse, but it is an answer.
Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it didn't sufficiently answer the question.

You get to the point you can understand righteousness and then I can explain righteous judgment.
TheIndependentMa jority

Manchester, KY

#109889 Aug 7, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>
What the hell kinda gibberish you stuttering about now? I've never discussed the "Y" strands with you, but I can say with all honesty , based on your previous track record of losing debates, The Other Guy Won.....BTW isn't it time for another costume change because everyone has acknowledged the pure ignorance of Sista along with proven. I must agree with the person that stated you are a Troll, no one can actually be this stupid to continue to stay on a thread and get repeatedly pummeled in every single debate, yet think they are smart. Hell, most of the time you never make a point at all and end up proving the other person's position! You can't even distinguish who you are debating which point with. Do you even know where you chit last? I doubt it.
You haven't brought ANY topics up to discuss-all you've done is stoop to kindergarten bullchit.

But thx for being a shining example of just exactly what an "ignorant troll" is, mired up in your own ignorance, so much so ,you can't even see it in yourself, because of the loads of bullchit up to your own eyes!!

(and the rest of your post is as usual, just more garbage and kindergarten level attacks against another, not even worth the time it would take to wipe my tail with you.)

Location hidden

#109890 Aug 7, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I know the claim, now please explain why the faith in the unknown is needed? Why must the god hide? Is believing in a god that is seen anymore needed or good than believing in a god that is unseen?

It is not easy being a good person no matter if you believe in a god or not, so the blind faith seems to have no real purpose that has an ounce of logic. But you continually fail to even understand the question.
We are preparing for something more than we know now. Kinda like when a bird has to be kicked out of the nest to learn to fly on their own.

Location hidden

#109891 Aug 7, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>A father that has zero paternal offspring.
No one is perfect, and that goes for your Jesus also. The perfection is but a claim that has zero evidence of truth. Typical of myths.
Believe what you wish.
I speak of a different type of perfection than superficial perfection. I'm talking about living sin-free.
SistaNoneYouBiz

Manchester, KY

#109892 Aug 7, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, so you cited the Adam and Eve finds to show science should know the origins of the Y chromosomes? You must know their was a male female split long before humans, right?
Now why is it ironic that science has not pinpointed the origin? If you are going to charge it as ironic, then at least explain why? And just what was the point of bringing up Adam and Eve?
"Mitochondrial Adam and Eve"
Chromosome Eve-traceable.
Chromosome Adam-still remains UNKNOWN.

That simple enough, for Adams' sake??

(If so that would be great, then I won't have to stoop to the ghetto, gutter low level snarky route of juvenile kindergarten theatrics!!)!)
SistaNoneYouBiz

Manchester, KY

#109893 Aug 7, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Believe what you wish.
I speak of a different type of perfection than superficial perfection. I'm talking about living sin-free.
and that's what REALLY bothers the ones that aren't as lol.
SistaNoneYouBiz

Manchester, KY

#109894 Aug 7, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You mean ancient barbaric stuff like this?
25 Now great crowds accompanied him, and he turned and said to them, 26 “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. 27 Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple….. 33 So therefore, any one of you who does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple.
All in the way it's read.

Kind of like, if anyone doesn't clean the logs out of their own eyes, and open their minds for the greater enlightened perspectives...

Then you might as well just expect a --"How's that living mired under a dark age, mudhole rock working out for ya?"

SistaNoneYouBiz

Manchester, KY

#109895 Aug 7, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I've heard of the Maccabees but not of the other that you posted. Interesting
Kind of like a point A in World History; 160 BC-37BC or so...Simon, Jonathan, Judah, 2nd, 3rd and 4rth gens on into the times of Herod the Great.

(Who'd've thought huh!! Strongly researched scholarly Secular books even- that speak of some of the SAME exact people, places and events as found in the Bible!!!!)
stuck in a lodi

Elkhorn City, KY

#109896 Aug 7, 2013
TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>
You haven't brought ANY topics up to discuss-all you've done is stoop to kindergarten bullchit.
But thx for being a shining example of just exactly what an "ignorant troll" is, mired up in your own ignorance, so much so ,you can't even see it in yourself, because of the loads of bullchit up to your own eyes!!
(and the rest of your post is as usual, just more garbage and kindergarten level attacks against another, not even worth the time it would take to wipe my tail with you.)
Thanks! You just proved my point of you being a TROLL!!!

Location hidden

#109897 Aug 7, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Glad to see you actually answering the question asked.
I would want the books at the church to recognize I am no longer a member, but it has nothing to do with you guys knocking on my door wanting to talk to me.
Seems you automatically put the two together for some reason.
Because they are directly related. Why?
1. You are on a roster and eventually will be visited by some eager home teacher.
2. No one will ever know your desire to have your name removed from the church records because you never took the time to express this in a letter to the church. So face to face contact would be the only way this would happen because the initiative would come from the guy in number 1 since you did not have that initiative.

That's why I automatically put those two together.

Location hidden

#109898 Aug 7, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So then show us you really dispute some of the claims of the bible and denounce one or two of them?
Do you condone how god supposedly drowned all the humans and animals on the planet?
Do you condone Moses's actions of having three thousand men, women and children slain for worshiping a golden calf god?
I do not dispute claims of the Bible. I do think there are translation errors and quite a bit that is left out of the Bible, whether intentional or unintentional, that should have been in it. Because I don't believe it was supposed to be left to interpretation and open up the opportunity for so many different denominations or opinions on the meaning of scripture.

I don't need to condone God's actions. I simply accept them and humble myself before Him.

Man is His creation. And man's spirit and resurrected body are eternal. So taking them out of this earthly experience doesn't mean they cease to exist. If He deemed that they were willingly that evil that it was going to hurt the children that wished to be good, then I can accept that He took them out of the game, so to speak. They still exist, just not on earth. They showed that they weren't ready for the freedom He gave them, so He took it back. Those that perished before the age of accountability, would go directly to live in the presence of God and be spared from being raised by parents that practiced iniquity.

Location hidden

#109899 Aug 7, 2013
SistaNoneYouBiz wrote:
<quoted text>Kind of like a point A in World History; 160 BC-37BC or so...Simon, Jonathan, Judah, 2nd, 3rd and 4rth gens on into the times of Herod the Great.

(Who'd've thought huh!! Strongly researched scholarly Secular books even- that speak of some of the SAME exact people, places and events as found in the Bible!!!!)
Cool. Can't wait to look that up

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pike County Wants $2.00 more Dollars on Solid W... 2 hr coal buket 12
Paul Patton Statue 2 hr coal buket 113
Gals at Bank 253 3 hr Richard Dukey 3
~*~ Last Post Wins ~*~ (Aug '11) 4 hr Darktainium 7,754
Hillary Clinton OUR next President (Jun '15) 5 hr Kyboy 2,856
nugent not selling 5 hr Drainer 134
new bridge south of pikeville another SHAM? 7 hr No Way 57
Pikeville MSHA Office (Jul '15) 21 hr I survived them 78

Pikeville Jobs

More from around the web