Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,904

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#102652 May 6, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Haha. Believe what you wish dude
I do believe what "I wish", as does ever other person on Earth. Thank you for your permission, but it is unnecessary. I was merely pointing out that one fallacy of metaphysical creationism.
Shall we move on to the Creator of the creator? Why would God state "no gods before me" if there was a Creator before Him? Seems a little like a manager telling you not to rat him out to a director... and there was PLENTY of cause in the OT. Jealousy is sooo unbecoming.
Raina

Monticello, KY

#102653 May 6, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
To a point I will follow the golden rule - beyond that it will be Hammurabi's. When someone strives for ignorance, I write to them accordingly. When they are insulting, I will insult them accordingly. When they attempt to convert me to their faith, I will disabuse their illusion that I am on the market. I have read the Bible, I have been to churches, I have grappled with crises - I do not need or desire any quotes or comments from the choir. When "dog poops" acknowledge my "beliefs" as being as relevant and more rational than their own, I will be peaceful.
God does not have any grandchildren. If you don't understand that, be quiet until you do.
Well then looks like peace will never come to your life. Glad it's you rather than me. That's not being mean because it your choice. We live with the choices we make, don't we? I choose to be happy.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#102654 May 6, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
The credibility factor of a convert goes (even further) into the negative when they claim a right to be petty, vindictive and abusive to people who dare disagree with them, correct their factual inaccuracies or even simply hold contrasting opinions - especially on the grounds that through Christ they are a better person than they used to be. To steal a line from Q, "So they say but cannot demonstrate."
You bring up a very valid point,but,I never claimed that through Christ ,I was made perfect,I said that through Christ,I was made a better person.
Do I still struggle with my human nature,yes,that will always be a struggle;
My human nature wants to remain in control,but the Spirit helps me with my infirmities and guides me in the right direction.
One may not realize how the Spirit does that,till,after the fact,
This is not the first time that I have committed that error and I thought I had resolved it,,,I was wrong,I had not
That point was made clear to me,by 3 unbelievers,SP,Mike Duquette and yourself.
As I thought about this,the thought occured to me;
God used 3 unbelievers in order to drive home the point of my infirmity,that they understood his teachings better than I did.
I am certain that the next time I post,that thought will come to mind again,,,We will see what effect it will have
I do want to thank you for bringing it to my attention.
Kidder Kodder,you will not receive any more ,vindictive or abusive responses from me....
Although,I may post something in order to test your sense of humor.......
Sunny Day

Monticello, KY

#102655 May 6, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Science allows me to have a Harley to ride around the country side, Science gives me enough food to eat... Science gives me lights and heat on these cold days and dark nights... Science allows me to have a camera to take photos of what I see.... Science lets me be healthy and allowed doctors the technology to put my body back together after War... Science allows me to explore Mars through the eyes of robots ... Science allows me to see billions of years into the Universe and see all the stars, galaxies and nebula.... Science allows me to wear shoes and cloths instead of dead animal skins and tree bark.... Science gives me glasses so the world is not a blur to my vision... Science give me music while I drive around in my science provided car.... Science lets me talk to you through Topix... Science allows me to wake up in the morning an know if I need a rain coat an Umbrella later that day.... And 1000's of other mundane, taken for granted things that allow me to live a life of Joy and Fun....
If you think that's sad then feel free to walk nakid into your nearest forest and build yourself a little camp with your hands and a sharp rock then get back to me in a few weeks and tell me how Joyful you are.....
There is no new thing under the sun. God allows knowledge to make all these things you speak of. I also have nice things and the love of God too. I never was asked to choose. I was blessed. If I lose all these things I will be ok. Just start over. You apparently take your joy from material things. I hope you never lose your Harley or your camera etc. But..what if you die today? Are you sure you are sure? That's all.. I won't bother you again. Thanks

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#102656 May 6, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>The solar system came together by the same forces that all solar systems come together, gravity.
Are you disputing gravity now?

Are you going to even attempt to answer my questions? Sure seems like you are avoiding them.
No I don't dispute gravity. I just do not believe that these planets orbit the sun by chance. As these clumps of matter join together, mix (or attract) with gases and particles around them, then one forms into a massive ball of intense fire, while the others have a semblance of this intense fire deep in its core, and they begin an orbit around the first one that "perfectly" remains a very consistent path for billions of years. And one has conditions that allow life forms to slowly develop and become intelligent (cognizant of its surroundings), and eventually evolve into the complexities of all the different life forms we see today.
I realize I am badly paraphrasing this, but I'm typing in a hurry and trying to catch up. But this seems extremely doubtful that these things could happen without divine guidance.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#102657 May 6, 2013
Raina wrote:
<quoted text>Well then looks like peace will never come to your life. Glad it's you rather than me. That's not being mean because it your choice. We live with the choices we make, don't we? I choose to be happy.
In most cases being happy is a choice - and one I make on a daily basis. The average stuporous, placid and soporific Pollyanna doesn't comprehend that it isn't always the RIGHT choice. There are vital purposes for being angry, sad, frightened, etc. and times in which it is wholly inappropriate to be "happy."
You would like to believe that you will be eternally happy in the afterlife. If that is what you wish, why not opt for a frontal lobotomy NOW? Without contrasting emotions, I cannot fathom a more boring "existence". True Hell.

Location hidden

#102658 May 6, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So now you are telling me that god is not doing magic to heal the sick, it is really people healing the sick? Are they called doctors?
If people are all we need, then why do we need a god?
You keep avoiding the heart of my points like a plague. It is as if you have no real answers.
Don't mix topics. God works through people quite a bit, but not everything. Creation for example, would not have happened through humans.

God does require faith. Consider the healings that Jesus performed. Like one of the blind men that He healed. He put clay on his eyes and told him to go wash. The guy would have had to have faith to go wash. If he would have thought Jesus was full of it and he didn't go wash, he would have remained blind.
Same with the leper he told to go wash. He thought it was too simple and almost didn't do it.

Location hidden

#102659 May 6, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Well, two problems, that would make your disdain for all of science because science is the tool used to discover all the answers that scientific minds rely on. Thus, if you have disdain for one thing science has discovered, you have disdain for all things science has helped us discover.

Second, science doesn't say anything about what happens after death, there is no evidence to present, thus we cannot use the tool to analyze anything, thus there is nothing for science to tell us about what happens after death other than "nothing."
Your second paragraph makes the first invalid. You made my point for me as I said the exact same thing before.

Science lacks here and that is what I said. Science can't tell us what happens after death. It assumes nothing because the brain stops functioning. We believe the soul leaves the body (including all organs) and enters a spirit world until judgement day. Science lacks here. That doesn't mean I have disdain for all science.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#102660 May 6, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Science allows me to have a Harley to ride around the country side, Science gives me enough food to eat... Science gives me lights and heat on these cold days and dark nights... Science allows me to have a camera to take photos of what I see.... Science lets me be healthy and allowed doctors the technology to put my body back together after War... Science allows me to explore Mars through the eyes of robots ... Science allows me to see billions of years into the Universe and see all the stars, galaxies and nebula.... Science allows me to wear shoes and cloths instead of dead animal skins and tree bark.... Science gives me glasses so the world is not a blur to my vision... Science give me music while I drive around in my science provided car.... Science lets me talk to you through Topix... Science allows me to wake up in the morning an know if I need a rain coat an Umbrella later that day.... And 1000's of other mundane, taken for granted things that allow me to live a life of Joy and Fun....
If you think that's sad then feel free to walk nakid into your nearest forest and build yourself a little camp with your hands and a sharp rock then get back to me in a few weeks and tell me how Joyful you are.....
Based on what I have observrd and read ,material things only lead to a temporary happiness,as the more they have ,the more they want,not happy with what they have,they want more
Why that happens,I am not sure.They may be looking to impress others with their material wealth,they may envy others who may posses better or bigger material things than the do"keeping up with the Joneses"
In many cases,in order to achieve their material goals,they recklessly permit their human nature to guide them.
They devise schemes,lie,cheat,connive and make unsound decisions
in order to achieve their goals.
One can read about that in the newspapers every day.
Those who looked for happiness by winning the lottery,suddenly find themselves in very unhappy situations.

Those who buy houses they can not afford,those who device schemes in order
to build on the fortunes they already posses"Bernie Madoff' is one of many examples and in the procecss they destroy their lives and that of many others.
My neighbor owns an HD.Recently their was a Motorcycle Show held in Daytona.
He went and bought another motorcycle in order to attend this show.
Paid over $30,000 for it...He was very happy with his purchase.
A week later, when he came back from the show,he was complaining.
He'd seen some other motorcycles at the show that were much more appealing to him
As he said,"Boy,am I sorry I didn't buy one of those instead....
So much for material happiness and the wreckage it often leaves behind

Location hidden

#102661 May 6, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You pretty much just admitted that because you do not know the science that you must believe god did it.

The earths gravity holds the moon close to us, yet is not strong enough to keep it from moving slowly away. The moon is drifting a few inches away each year. Well apply that knowledge to the sun and planets.
You do not understand gravity, thus assign the properties of gravity to god, just as the ancients assigned rain to Zeus.
But I guess that example does not work on you because you think god is making the rain still.
I still don't think any of these orbits happened by chance. Have you ever tried sliding magnets around on an air hockey table and try to get them just so far apart that one orbits the other but doesn't eventually move away from each other or snap together? Give it a shot.

I don't doubt that the moon could be drifting away. Makes me wonder what will happen to earth one day when it releases and floats off. But how do we accurately measure inches on something so far away?

Location hidden

#102662 May 6, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Then why does the bible spell out the blood line of Joseph and Mary down to king David?
It does for Joseph. Are you asking why not for Mary?

Location hidden

#102663 May 6, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Simplified. Nothing, because space time did not yet exist for there to be a "trigger" "in."
So when did "space time" begin, and how?

Location hidden

#102664 May 6, 2013
Raina wrote:
<quoted text>Do whut are you saying you believe someone/something created God? Do my eyes deceive me here?
Sorry, this would be very confusing if you weren't following posts for several weeks.
I am thinking out loud here. I don't know for sure so this is just my own thoughts.
But I believe that we are spirit children of our Father in Heaven. We were sent here to have our faith in Him tested and also to gain a physical body. Our spirit lived before our time here (which would explain verses like in Jeremiah that say before he was born, God knew him). And our spirit will live on after our death. We will be resurrected at one day and our spirit and perfected body will be reunited again. Since we are created in God's image and will one day be joint heirs with Jesus Christ one day (if we follow all God's commantments), this lends me to believe that we will be like Him one day in the eternities. Though we will always be subject to Him, we are progressing to become like Him. To inherit all that He has means His knowledge and powers as well. To become more like Him would mean that we would someday perform as He does. This presents the idea of a family continuation. Jesus told us "ye are gods". So this makes sense that someday we would be like the Father (though still subject to Him).
So with this in mind, it is possible that our God, the Father of our spirits, also has a Father.
Hope that makes sense a little.

Location hidden

#102665 May 6, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Already answered ....
Sorry, i missed it.

Location hidden

#102666 May 6, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I do believe what "I wish", as does ever other person on Earth. Thank you for your permission, but it is unnecessary. I was merely pointing out that one fallacy of metaphysical creationism.
Shall we move on to the Creator of the creator? Why would God state "no gods before me" if there was a Creator before Him? Seems a little like a manager telling you not to rat him out to a director... and there was PLENTY of cause in the OT. Jealousy is sooo unbecoming.
It could be a matter of relevance. He is the only god we should be concerned with, because He created us and we are subject to Him. Maybe relate it to "well Jimmy's dad lets him do it", and the answer being "I don't care what Jimmy's dad does, I'm your father"

I'm totally going out on a limb with this whole thought, so this is just me thinking out loud. I like to think outside the box sometimes.

And I believe that Jehovah (YHWH) was Jesus. The Father and Jesus were both a part of the creation (as demonstrated by terms like we and us in Genesis), but once sin was introduced, man was no longer worthy to be in the presence of the Father. Thus Jesus became our mediator and still is to this day. So the parts of the OT you refer to where God says He is a jealous God and He reacts to the bad actions of the people, seem to me like Jesus was maturing as He progressed before His coming to earth. Someone mentioned that to me one time and it stuck with me. Never know, there could be some validity there.
Farkus

Lexington, KY

#102667 May 6, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Consider the healings that Jesus performed.
So, I guess ALL the children who will be born today blind, deaf or suffering from some other birth defect didn't have enough faith in the womb? NICE!

Why didn't Jesus go ahead and cure blindness? Oh, yeah, I forgot...it is a myth.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#102668 May 6, 2013
Misty Morn wrote:
<quoted text>Yes it is your choice. It is your choice to become a child of God. "Jesus is the Good Shepherd. His sheep know His voice and none other will they follow." Back then people kept sheep to survive. A good shepherd would lie down at night across the fold entrance to keep wolves and such away.(This is not just Bible it is a historical fact.) They risk their own life to protect the herd. In today's world atheists have called what they refer to as dumb followers of Christ "sheep". Not so. Sheep in the Bible represent God's children. Others are referred to as goats. In fact Jesus was called The Lamb of God because He laid down His own life as a pure acceptable sacrifice for our salvation. God speaks to His children through the written Word. Funny how you atheists never want to learn any more than you now know, just jump straight to blasphemy and mockery. I do not need a psychiatrist, you need Jesus.
Sheep are tended to simply because they are to be lead to a slaughter and consumed by the shepherd. Good analogy choice, very apt in describing the followers, food being prepared for the slaughter.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#102669 May 6, 2013
Say Now wrote:
Whether you are a believer or not and no matter what you say or do Jesus loves you and there is nothing you can do about it!
Yes there is, stalking is illegal in the US.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#102670 May 6, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
So when did "space time" begin, and how?
Do you want to know the real and honest answer? "I don't know." It's also the answer you should give instead of your made up non-answer.

Location hidden

#102671 May 6, 2013
Farkus wrote:
<quoted text>So, I guess ALL the children who will be born today blind, deaf or suffering from some other birth defect didn't have enough faith in the womb? NICE!

Why didn't Jesus go ahead and cure blindness? Oh, yeah, I forgot...it is a myth.
Jesus did not come to heal all sickness and afflictions, He came to fulfill the Law of Moses, atone for all sin, and make it possible to return to live with our Father in Heaven. He showed us how to use the priesthood power to heal afflictions and charged us all to serve each other in the same manner as He did. Sadly, people as a whole do not follow these teachings.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 11 min The Apostle 20,230
Add a word, Drop a word (May '10) 28 min MUSICK-NESS 22,247
song title game, anyone? (Oct '08) 43 min MUSICK-NESS 22,980
VAnderbeck writes yet another editorial in favo... 51 min Yes Mr Justice 15
Sheriff Charles Fuzzy Keesee 1 hr 15 days left 45
What Is The Biggest City Waste 1 hr RustyAbuseIsFun 15
Have any coal miner's heard from Mitch McConnell? 1 hr kentucky wildcat 121
Is ISIS In America Imminent? 2 hr Cut Off Rustys Fo... 65
OMG Kentcky Power ro raise rates 12 % 5 hr Thanks Mitch 53
Robert Marble RIP 6 hr aep rookery 11