Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
97,361 - 97,380 of 128,762 Comments Last updated 45 min ago

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>I know a guy that is absolutely convinced he was taken on board a alien spacecraft, had test ran on him and has witnessed 5 separate alien spacecraft land and aliens get out.....

Should I take his word for it?

Evidence must Always be Verifiable by non biased people, Testable by non biased people and reproducible to non biased people....
Was there a team of doctors and an entire family present? Was there medical charts and records stating his condition before, during, and after the encounter?
Hmmm. Not quite the same thing.
Known Fact

Kissimmee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

The whole mess started in the Garden of Eden with Satan's lie. Adam and Eve plunged the whole human race into sin and death. If God intervened to correct the problems caused by Satan it would appear that Satan and God are in kahoots. God will not allow Satan to have control of the earth indefinate! Revelation 21:3,4 With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say:“Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his peoples. And God himself will be with them. And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”
As far as HIV Aids it is reported that apes have HIV in their makeup and it is not harmful to them but when a human had sexual relations with an ape he contacted Aids and it is harmful to humans...it causes death. God prohibited sex with animals because he knows what is best for mankind, he being our creator!

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
The entire Old Testament foretells the coming of Jesus Christ. This is also the case of the Dead Sea Scrolls, as most of the books of the Old Testament are found in the Dead Sea Scrolls as well. They go into great detail about what He will be like, what His name shall be called, and the things that He will do. Of course I believe the book of Mormon also foretells of His coming
No, that is not true.

You are talking about a subject called Ancient Interpretation. It is the way people used to read the Bible, as scholars, before more information was known and before the Enlightenment.

By that way of reading you can easily make an argument that OJ Simpson was foretold in the Hebrew Bible. This is because of the incredibly broad way that things were interpreted. They would read a passage in Genesis that was puzzling, then find something in some other book that could be construed to reflect it in some way. Or vice versa.

There's an example of this in the Jewish tradition. The story of Abraham being told to kill his son. In that story there is no mention of Satan at all. But the Jewish interpreters, using the same kind of methods you probably are basing your ideas on, found that there was a word at the beginning of the story that meant "things" but could also mean "words". So they said "These words came before" or something like that. So then they said, that must mean there was something said prior to the story. What could it be? So they searched and found the book of Job and the tale of Satan challenging God. So then they assumed that the "words" that came before MUST have been Satan challenging God to test Job.

So their interpretation was that God was basically taking a bet with the devil, like he did in Job. That would give him some reason to do this terrible thing.

But that isn't in the text. Anywhere.

And that is one example of how you can get Jesus from a text that never mentions Jesus.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
The difference is magic and spells come from the Satan. Miracles come from God. Magic and spells seem to benefit more of the first person not others.
I believe that God helps those who help themselves. I would never discourage someone from going to a doctor, even with a blessing or prayers. It is still up to us to do everything that we can do within our own power, and then God makes up the difference according to our faith.
Magic is when things happen that cannot happen naturally. There is no functional difference between a miracle and magic, except where you personally wish to draw the line.

Both are not real.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
That is the miracle of the resurrection. Actually for the entire long stretch of human Written history, religion has been a factor. And I do not think it is coincidence that most old religions have some things in common.
Of course it is not a coincidence. Religion is a result of a pattern-seeking, self-aware animal trying to understand a big scary world in such a was as to keep the herd together and identify enemies.

There are going to be similarities in such schemes.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone suffers from disease. The rain falls on the just and unjust. And I don't have a clue why some are helped and others aren't. That's up to God. The important thing to me is that He has helped upon request and I have experienced that first hand.
What you describe as a miracle is called statistics. If 100 people have cancer and 50 of the pray for help while 50 do not then guess what will probably happen? They will die at a rate consistent with statistical data. You will not see a big spike in the survival rate of the people who pray. Yet if you asked any single person who DID pray and who DID survive longer they will probably say that God answered their prayers.

Yet that is like being the one guy who smokes 50 years and does not get cancer waling around saying "Smoking doesn't cause cancer. Look at me!"

It is a misunderstanding of statistics and reality.
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Asking you and your and your friends for their opinions on Spiritual matters,is like asking the 3 Stooges for their opinions on Brain Surgery,Rocket Science and The Wisdom of Fools.
The nonsense and gibberish that would be contained in their response will cause one to have uncontrollable fits of laughfter.
Much the same effect your response and that of your friends had on me.
Had to go see the doctor,busted a gut laughing,
When he asked me what caused it,I showed him what you all posted.
He wet his pants,and his nurse became hysterical.
Your ignorance has become quite a topic of conversation around the water cooler.
Great posts!
God Bless :-)
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't see whatever it was you posted. You'll have to re-post it.
But I refer you to this reply because it sums it up nicely:
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/somerset-ky/T...
As the other poster said, even the craziest coincidences are more likely to be true if they are possible than the idea of a super powered being.
It's funny...
You've got people on here telling you "There IS a Good God!",
Who Loves you, and wants all of us with Him....
And you people would rather deny our faith, and knowledge to
do what you want...
That is the craziest thing about dumb people!
Hope that changes for ALL of you!
ScienceProves

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Often times? Rarely.
Often times, there is no difference whatsoever between acts of FAITH and psychological delusions.
Often times "Just because you don't see it, it's because it isn't there."
NOT in the REAL world of Science AND logical thinking.....

"Just because you don't see it, does NOT mean it isn't there".

For example, if I swabbed an onion for some DNA, are you going to try and "tell" me just because I don't see, with my little eye, the strand evidence, it isn't there? Old, dried up dinosaur bones, maybe, but not a nice, fresh onion. Therefore, I would rely on my FAITH, to know of BETTER possibilities, and continue

We won't go into how many variables could be involved in such, and the different degrees of them, except to add that the contaminate factor could add another interesting element to the scenerio.

And don't try to deny it, or I will have to get just merely RUDE, and call you a stupid name or something childish like that.

"Just because we don't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there".

Why that newest quote even explains-

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

For those who seem to have trouble comprehending it to start with anyway.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

EveintheGarden wrote:
<quoted text>
Simplify, read the last line of that paragraph. It reiterates EXACTLY the biggest part of the underlying issue(s) that have been not-so-prolifically vociferated since Obama has been in office.
Too bad the individual options elements were tossed, and a quick jump instead, made for just more robbing-hoodieTic tax and fine the above tables, honest wage earning, tax paying lower working class masses, before even reaching the tables for discussion, eh?
Now I do not know what name you used to write the original post, so it is going to be hard looking for it.
We humans use names for a reason. Pick one and stick with it please, otherwise you are no one with no history.
ScienceProves

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
This dogmatic drivel has nothing to do with HIV being transmitted to humans. It is not a moral issue, it is a medical one - not that a JW is likely to have any clear understanding of the difference.
Actually that "dogmatic" drivel of documented historical opinion- in a philosophical sense, does render proof that humans have been NOT perfect, prone to errors ,and some even prone to worse (like just downright nastiness, ugliness and other virtuessless traits of vileness) for a LONG, long time.

Not likely an airhead would have any concept of a bigger picture though.
ScienceProves

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah I meant this totally to be funny, to lighten the mood. I figured everyone remembered the light hearted reference. I never dreamed it would carry on as a serious statement.
I've heard it said in general, by more than a few before.

I kind of find a lot of error with the statement too though. No one should seriously think they should have that much "control" over another human individual.

A thought at having any parental figure like that, would be cause to recoil!!

(but the Mr Cosby character no doubt, said it tongue and cheek, with best intentions for whom ever it was directed at no doubt, rather than some sort of personal fulfillment of ego)

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Because miracles normally come from prayer requests.
Sometimes we need to go through some things to make us stronger. Kinda like the caterpillar to butterfly analogy.
And why isn't it fair justice? You are choosing not to even try to believe in Him.
If you have to ask why I'm not Muslim, then we need to be talking more about doctrine
You have no idea what I have tried or not, so quit jumping to conclusions. Sounds like you just are parroting propaganda.
I am asking questions here and you have poor answers. So many are like, well god has his own logic or justice. Sorry, but if you think I must try to forgo the logic in my mind, you are making no sense.
Your god refuses to present himself. It is not logical I should believe in a being that has zero evidence of existence. I have looked for evidence, but none ever comes, yet you claim I do not look for god. Well I say he is not showing himself for me to see.
So you say Muslim doctrine is why you do not believe in Mohammed? Well same goes for me and the bible. It is an unbelievable story with no evidence and concepts that are not moral or logical to me. Same goes for the book of Mormon.
It is not justice to punish someone for not believing in something that has zero evidence. Why would I believe in an unjust god?
ScienceProves

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I have not once disrespected you. I have not told anyone they are going to hell or that they are evil. I have shown no hatred or bigotry towards you.
Why you feel the need to speak to me in such a manner only displays your own hatred and bigotry.
You have categorized me in some bucket that you hold some angry malice towards. Sorry, but I don't fit in your bucket, no matter how much you try to shove me in it.
I have never asked anyone to respect my beliefs. I have only asked that we respect each other as humans. It seems you have left that notion behind.
This post however, is very redemptive (and true) lol.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Because miracles normally come from prayer requests.
Sometimes we need to go through some things to make us stronger. Kinda like the caterpillar to butterfly analogy.
And why isn't it fair justice? You are choosing not to even try to believe in Him.
If you have to ask why I'm not Muslim, then we need to be talking more about doctrine
So you are telling me the answered prayers are not of gods doings? If it is of gods doings, then you contradicted yourself. If it is not of gods doings, then is it of the devil? Who are you requesting help from?
No one needs someone to die of cancer to be stronger. Sorry, but your excuses are just not cutting it.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
It's just something that I observe comes from it most if the time. I don't know God's reasoning on this. I can't answer why good things happen to bad people or vice versa.
And of course I don't think it's good. But sometimes bad things happening to a person does humble them and bring them closer to God. Don't know if that's a reason or just a possible outcome.
You claim to get answers from some holy ghost, yet seem to be short on answers quite a lot.
I think bad things happen to good people because no god is out their who cares or can do a thing about it. You see, that is a square, logical answer. You fail to have them, so why should I believe some magical ghost is helping you answer questions? Maybe you fail to ask the hard questions?
ScienceProves

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Now I do not know what name you used to write the original post, so it is going to be hard looking for it.
We humans use names for a reason. Pick one and stick with it please, otherwise you are no one with no history.
I like this one! Like the EveintheGardenof one too, and a few other ones as well. Does it really matter, in a world of "virtual" of nothing with any real relevance anyway? If so, could you please offer moi a justifiable reason as to why?

And actually, Logically thinking anyway, and if one were to practice what they preacheth and had to TRUTHFULLY admit, the variable of monikers doesn't really matter WHAT name I use, I am still the same, Original someone, with plenty of history!! As in not someone just PRETENDING to be someone else, an odd, extreme behavior that I find to be rather warped and delusional, I might add.

Just because you might not see the same "name", doesn't mean the same "bearer" of them, isn't there!

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there any other reason besides your pride and ability to think on a level equal to God's ability, to deny His existence and superiority?
God knew that Satan would bring suffering and torment to man. That's why He gave His Son to account for all our wrongs and feel all our pain and atone for it, so we can earn a reward greater than we can imagine now. All of us agreed to this temporary pain because we knew the reward.
I have been listing my reasons, but for some reason you cannot understand them. Are you blind to my list?

So now you have a new reason for suffering? So now it is Satan's fault? Guess you believe we are being punished for the crime of Adam and Eve?
Why did your friends kid not suffer the loss of an ear then? Your story has contradictions. Either god can help us not suffer, or he cannot. Either he is unfairly helping some and ignoring others, or he is not.

I agreed to nothing with a god.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I was joking and so was he. Did you never watch the Cosby show? He said this to Theo constantly.
Joke or not, it is an immoral concept you seemed to agree with.
I think it is due to you forgoing logic and allowing a book to dictate your thoughts.
ScienceProves

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You have no idea what I have tried or not, so quit jumping to conclusions. Sounds like you just are parroting propaganda.
I am asking questions here and you have poor answers. So many are like, well god has his own logic or justice. Sorry, but if you think I must try to forgo the logic in my mind, you are making no sense.
Your god refuses to present himself. It is not logical I should believe in a being that has zero evidence of existence. I have looked for evidence, but none ever comes, yet you claim I do not look for god. Well I say he is not showing himself for me to see.
So you say Muslim doctrine is why you do not believe in Mohammed? Well same goes for me and the bible. It is an unbelievable story with no evidence and concepts that are not moral or logical to me. Same goes for the book of Mormon.
It is not justice to punish someone for not believing in something that has zero evidence. Why would I believe in an unjust god?
Do you try and deny places like the Garden of Gethsemane, the Temple Dome, Isreal, Bethelehem, Judea, Egypt, Iraq, Mt Ararat (and on and on) just because you might not find the philolosophical aspects of reading materials all held within the same bindings, to be all in agreement of how you may believe (or not believe)?

Thank goodness, the sciences of say..ohh...archeology for example, do not approach their endevours with such close mindedness, or extreme amounts of pridefulness in their own beliefs, and nothing else except!
Nothing scientifically or historically interesting would ever be accomplished then!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

57 Users are viewing the Pikeville Forum right now

Search the Pikeville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Cover songs (Jul '11) 5 min MUSICK-NESS 722
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 11 min sure 146,435
A to Z of Song Titles Posted (Dec '13) 12 min MUSICK-NESS 597
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 1 hr LMS 16,119
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 1 hr LMS 1,021
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 2 hr sallygreen 26,195
What is Anna Pinson hiding? 2 hr Amy 20
TJ Litafik 7 hr Little Doper 15
july 23 2014 grand jury indictments 7 hr illegal foreclosure 14
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 9 hr truth 90
paris cowboy = music 23 hr MUSICK-NESS 75
•••
•••
•••
•••

Pikeville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000