Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 148953 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#99809 Apr 15, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So if the prophets are really gods spokes person, then just how could Brigham be so racist? I get that they may not be perfect, but if they are speaking for god, and the speach is racist, then we must then question all speaking the prophets do for the god. Problem is, most people who follow prophets never question.
Thus, the whole idea of prophets fail.
Everyone has their faults, even prophets. Same with Jonah. He didn't like Ninevites. You could say he was predjudice against them. God taught him a lesson that he never really did swallow.
One guy got mad at Smith for not spelling his name right in a revelation for his mission call and left the church. Did his bad spelling make him less of a prophet?

Brigham's perceived racism to me seems unacceptable, but at that time it probably sounded pretty normal in America. Sad but true. Maybe that's why no one questioned it then. But since then, every prophet has proclaimed that this tendency was not inspired. Not was it original. Many Christian pastors then thought black skin was the curse of Cain. Maybe this made a lot of sense to him so he ran with it and expounded on it.

We are encouraged to pray about the things our prophet and apostles tell us. We need to get our own confirmation from the Holy Ghost of its truth.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#99810 Apr 15, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>And just what makes one man more worthy than another? The one who does not tell anyone about his many sins?
Worthiness is a matter between man and God. We do not compare to each other. That's God's job to judge.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#99812 Apr 15, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>What is that, some kind of weird Pascal's Wager?

This is a big reason I always disliked religion. Too many implied and explicit threats.
This is no threat, nor a wager. We all face some time where a loved one is deathly sick, or gets hurt, etc. This would be the time a believer would pray for a good outcome. In many cases, the prayer is answered, even against bad odds. To that individual, it is a miracle. It won't make the news, but it solidified that person's faith.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#99813 Apr 15, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe we should Ban Scary Black Assault Bombs.... Oh wait, They are... Hummm.... Guess bad guys don't care about bans maybe.....
Maybe Oklahoma City was an unscary rental truck bomb protected by the second movement of the NRA's morning constitutional.
Maybe the bad guys are ay-rabs who dislike unjustified military invasions - or maybe they are tee-partiers who don't like the IRS, or maybe they're just nuh-uts.
Give it a rest, Q.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#99814 Apr 15, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Worthiness is a matter between man and God. We do not compare to each other. That's God's job to judge.
In a pig's eye.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#99815 Apr 15, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>Obviously you're an idiot. Justify? That is your belief.
My belief is, and I have faith, that you're not this much of an arrogant bigot when you aren't hiding behind an anonymous moniker. Evidence concludes that someone would have shown you a different perspective by now.

But, carry on, it's the only way you are able to feel better about yourself.
A person like you, calling me an idiot, means absolutely nothing to me. It's not even fun to banter with you anymore. Consider yourself the ball of yarn that the kitten got tired of.
Maybe try some new material?
what

Pikeville, KY

#99816 Apr 15, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I think they are one and the same God, the fallacy is the follow through from the individual believer.
I am a Christian so I don't see how you are somehow silently not including me in your attacks. I realize that I don't act like the ones that seem to attract the most attention, but isn't that usually the case? The normal ones are overlooked while the nutjobs like Warren Jeffs and the Westboro clan calls themselves Christian and then do things that as opposite of Chirstlike.
i dont stero-type any of u, but i do place all religious beliefs in the same line of respect, they are interesting to read and they are all linked in some way or another because it all dates back to sun worship. i just try to point out that we dont need a God to be good to each other and be good ppl. the evidence for god is zero and i dont need to fear hell to loan a helpin hand out to ppl but for some reason as soon as the ppl i think are actually good ppl find out im an atheist they turn on me in a matter of mins just cuz they are scared of the so called hell that is instilled in them since they were kids. i just think its time for humanity to get rid of all the fairy tales and find peace before we end up in nuclear war cause your god dont like my god kind of stuff that is goin on all over the world now. get some prrof of god or let it go already, cuz for some reason god isnt really help any of us now or there would be some real evidence.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#99817 Apr 15, 2013
what wrote:
<quoted text>u didnt say if he was or not, i was just pointing out that if he was he had many reasons to lie to make it seem as god is there with him. even if he isnt higher up in church he could use that to maybe persuade some to think he is better suited to move up in the ranks as well. ppl lie for many reasons unknown, the only truth is that ppl do lie. both believers and non-believers lie so thats why real hard evidence is need instead of just eye witness. hard evidence does not lie.
Not in our church. There are no ranks that anyone aspires to in my church. It doesn't work that way. We receive callings that the local leaders pray about and extend the calling. They ask you if you accept it or not. Most of the time it is accepted (maybe 80% of the time). Since we have an unpaid ministry, we all have normal jobs too, so most of the time the callings with more responsibility take more of your free time, but we do it to serve others and our God.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#99818 Apr 15, 2013
-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>I've read the Torah and everything grouped with it. I've also read the BOM and everything in the Dead Sea scrolls. I'm not an Atheist by choice, that's why I don't understand people that know the bible and still believe it. To me it's just people that fear death and need to feel like there is something better. I think that once religion is just an odd belief our grandparents had, then we can start fixing the Earth.

The "world" is not evil and God isn't going to destroy it so lets leave our kids a place to grow up in.
What is your belief structure closest to?

What did you think about the BOM and the Dead Sea Scrolls? Two of my favorite topics.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#99819 Apr 15, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
This is no threat, nor a wager. We all face some time where a loved one is deathly sick, or gets hurt, etc. This would be the time a believer would pray for a good outcome. In many cases, the prayer is answered, even against bad odds. To that individual, it is a miracle. It won't make the news, but it solidified that person's faith.
In all cases in which a "prayer was answered" there have been very logical, rational, and often expected reasons for this. Did you know that most patients diagnosed with cancer don't actually have cancer, it's just a lump of fatty cells that congealed or some other inane thing. Doctors want to prevent the death of the patient, usually, and thus err on the side of caution, which is a good thing when they do. So you see, if your god is doing anything, it's staying pretty well hidden, because the non-believers always have the same chance of dying from cancer, always.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#99820 Apr 15, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Not in our church. There are no ranks that anyone aspires to in my church. It doesn't work that way. We receive callings that the local leaders pray about and extend the calling. They ask you if you accept it or not. Most of the time it is accepted (maybe 80% of the time). Since we have an unpaid ministry, we all have normal jobs too, so most of the time the callings with more responsibility take more of your free time, but we do it to serve others and our God.
Call it "callings" or "ranks," it is the same thing. You can sugar coat a pine cone, but it's still going to hurt you if you swallow it.
TruthIs

United States

#99821 Apr 15, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>

There was nothing religious about the Jefferson enclave. Considering Jefferson's deference to the affluent in matters such as voting rights and qualification of offices, I don't find his treatment of slaves surprising in the least.
Why would you assume "religion" would even be an associated element?

4.
a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.

(good article wasn't it)

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#99822 Apr 15, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
My belief is, and I have faith, that you're not this much of an arrogant bigot when you aren't hiding behind an anonymous moniker. Evidence concludes that someone would have shown you a different perspective by now.
But, carry on, it's the only way you are able to feel better about yourself.
A person like you, calling me an idiot, means absolutely nothing to me. It's not even fun to banter with you anymore. Consider yourself the ball of yarn that the kitten got tired of.
Maybe try some new material?


Dim wit ooops du what,

I would suggest, since you are so sensitive, your non-understanding, ignorant, illogical, religie, shiite for brains, etc, etc, self should not read my posts, you will never like them and guess what.....I do it on purpose, sooooooo, religie, probably best if you just ignore ignore my posts and play with the nice people, they are, well, nice and they have shown tolerance for stupidity.

........Lets be truthfull, you're an idiot and it's obvious. Your holyhatebible should be no where near public schools........respect a religie.......not gonna happen........

Remember......

pete and repeat

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Somerset, KY

#99823 Apr 15, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Why can't either side of that stupid debate avoid politicizing tragedy for their own gain?
Shame on you for that.
Why is it that Only the Left get to use dead children to push there side and when anyone on the Right does so they are called out for it... When I here the same about the Anti Gun side for parading the dead bodies of children and getting parents to sob on que I'll give a crap....

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#99824 Apr 15, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Call it "callings" or "ranks," it is the same thing. You can sugar coat a pine cone, but it's still going to hurt you if you swallow it.
Yep.

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#99825 Apr 15, 2013
"I was a little disappointed yesterday. Got 'religion for Dummies' from the library. You know how the '...For Dummies' books usually have the bomb icon for 'Don't do this!'? This one didn't."

And there is a "religion for dummies" cheat sheet.*breath*breath* o my god lmao.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#99826 Apr 15, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
"I was a little disappointed yesterday. Got 'religion for Dummies' from the library. You know how the '...For Dummies' books usually have the bomb icon for 'Don't do this!'? This one didn't."
And there is a "religion for dummies" cheat sheet.*breath*breath* o my god lmao.
I read the following brilliant quote somewhere but have no idea where.
Thought you would like it.
----------

"No, I do not respect your religious beliefs.

I respect your right to HAVE them.
I respect your right to PEACEFULLY EXPRESS them.

I do NOT respect your "right" to tell me I am an "EVIL" person.
I do NOT respect your "right" to tell me I am going to "HELL."

I do not respect IGNORANCE.
I do not respect BRAINWASHING.
I do not respect CULTS.
I do not respect HATRED, BIGOTRY, SEXISM OR TYRANNY.

I do not respect your RELIGION. And I don't have to."

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#99827 Apr 15, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
I read the following brilliant quote somewhere but have no idea where.
Thought you would like it.
----------
"No, I do not respect your religious beliefs.
I respect your right to HAVE them.
I respect your right to PEACEFULLY EXPRESS them.
I do NOT respect your "right" to tell me I am an "EVIL" person.
I do NOT respect your "right" to tell me I am going to "HELL."
I do not respect IGNORANCE.
I do not respect BRAINWASHING.
I do not respect CULTS.
I do not respect HATRED, BIGOTRY, SEXISM OR TYRANNY.
I do not respect your RELIGION. And I don't have to."
Very good, pretty much says it all.
Cedrico T

Martin, TN

#99828 Apr 15, 2013
Raisin Bran sure is good. I like to sprinkle a little cinnamon on it to.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#99829 Apr 15, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>
Very good, pretty much says it all.
Atheism isn't a religion. It's a personal relationship with reality.
;)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Daddy wants to play with teen daughter 1 min a real man 7
Buffalo Wild Wings is open 10 min Have Another Boys 10
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... (Jul '14) 1 hr Uncle Tom 32,382
~*~ Last Post Wins ~*~ (Aug '11) 1 hr Hatti_Hollerand 7,332
Word Association (Aug '11) 1 hr -Prince- 6,808
Add a word, Drop a word (May '10) 2 hr _FLATLINE-------- 25,495
judge in conn case pleads guilty! 2 hr tigger 12
Island Creek shooting 3 hr Nash 136
Glen Hammond Ray Jones Round 2 16 hr The People HaveSp... 22
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pikeville Mortgages