Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 151975 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#99792 Apr 15, 2013
"Religion /n./ A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the Nature of the Unknowable."

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#99793 Apr 15, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Great point!
Even when they do good... it's for a tax deduction, or status!
Not caring for a person, or his soul, putting animals above
Humans... killing babies for convenience...
None do good, not one!
Of course you have the biased extreme position that atheist never do good just because they like to do good. Of course this is an insane and false position to take, just as it was a false claim the bible took. You are both wrong.]
But thanks for proving my main point. The passage just breeds hate.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#99794 Apr 15, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Most revelations that the prophets received were when they took the initiative to pray and ask God about these situations. Plural marriage was confusing to them because it was so socially unacceptable in the 1800's. So when reading and correcting translation in the Old Testament, when they ran across the scriptures that say prophets were allowed to have more than one wife and concubines, they wanted to know why this was acceptable. Especially in the case if David who had several and he had no sin other than when he lusted after a married woman. The others weren't an issue. And David's son Solomon had a ton of wives and the only sin came when he started taking on wives of different religions that started veering him astray from his own faith. So the answer came that this practice was acceptable and sometimes necessary to further the work of God but it had to be done in the strictest fashion so as to not get out of hand and become about lust. Joseph was told to start this practice again. He was reluctant for over a year because he knew it would end up being the reason he would have friends turn in him and kill him. He also knew Emma wouldn't be happy about it. Eventually he was told that he must begin it or be removed as prophet.
As far as blacks, Joseph had black friends. Some held the priesthood and participated in temple ordinances. In fact, Missouri hated Mormons so bad because of these black friends. They thought Joseph was an abolitionist and that's why they forcefully, by mobs and murder, drove the LDSaints out of Missouri and put an extermination order on Mormons. Up until about 10 years ago it was still legal to kill a Mormon on the spot. The government finally apologized for that.
So anyway, what I see, is that Brigham seemed pretty racist. Joseph did not seem to be. Brigham said several things that do not seem to be inspired as they do not correlate with the church stance. But we know prophets are not perfect, they just have a calling that holds different responsibilities. Not all they say is inspired. They still have their own opinions.
So if the prophets are really gods spokes person, then just how could Brigham be so racist? I get that they may not be perfect, but if they are speaking for god, and the speach is racist, then we must then question all speaking the prophets do for the god. Problem is, most people who follow prophets never question.
Thus, the whole idea of prophets fail.

“There is no god.”

USA

#99795 Apr 15, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Of course you have the biased extreme position that atheist never do good just because they like to do good. Of course this is an insane and false position to take, just as it was a false claim the bible took. You are both wrong.]
But thanks for proving my main point. The passage just breeds hate.
Hi Mike, good to see you. Hate and fear are the glue that holds the religie bull excrement together.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#99796 Apr 15, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No no. His father holds the priesthood. No priest was called. All worthy males in the LDS Church hold the priesthood.
And just what makes one man more worthy than another? The one who does not tell anyone about his many sins?

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#99797 Apr 15, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You are not stating the facts as I posted them.You failed to address any of the specifics that I posted.
Thereby your analysis is invalid
you wrote,I fail to comprehend It's meaning
"The date is within a two week period, right? From the time she heard about her friend finding a dog. So that's a 1/14 chance that it would be this day. Not bad odds."
What date are you alluding to?
I thought you said that the woman who called had a friend who found a dog two weeks earlier or a couple of weeks. Is that correct? I was merely pointing out that one day out of a couple of weeks is not bad odds. Meaning, it is not strange that it would happen on this particular day.

OK, so did I miss a post? What was the miracle? Can you repost the actual miraculous part?

Location hidden

#99798 Apr 15, 2013
Wrong again Sparky wrote:
<quoted text> http://epistle.us/answeredprayer.html
you should search a bit before you post...
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/health/31pr...

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/...

http://www.beliefnet.com/News/2006/04/Study-I...

Sure thing.

Testimonials are not evidence, BTW.

Location hidden

#99799 Apr 15, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure you either have, or will be, at a point in your life where a miracle would be welcomed. Think then about how you were against the possibility of one.
What is that, some kind of weird Pascal's Wager?

This is a big reason I always disliked religion. Too many implied and explicit threats.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#99800 Apr 15, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>And just what makes one man more worthy than another? The one who does not tell anyone about his many sins?
Is the question "what makes one man more worthy than another" or is it "worthy of WHAT?"

I recall a poster from years ago that went something like this:

"I've got a second mortgage and work with by brother in law on a side job so that we can afford a family vacation this year. My wife doesn't like her job much, but she won't quit because our daughter needs braces. They're talking about cutting out our raises this year, but we'll make it. People say that they wish that they had my schedule, but it's a little harder than they think. Still, I wouldn't trade it for the world. I'm a fireman."

"I make millions of dollars and I live in mansions and penthouses. I've slept with thousands of women. I'm in magazines and newspapers and on tv all of the time. People ask for my autograph and for pictures with me wherever I go. I resent it when people expect me to be a role model - I'M a muther uffing sports hero."

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#99801 Apr 15, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for sharing your faith.
Hopefully it made a little sense anyway.

Location hidden

#99802 Apr 15, 2013
-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>I disagree completely. If it was as you say then there would be no mention of a pen and it definitely wouldn't say it "lied" or called it "false." That's my opinion on it anyway.
Read the whole chapter. You may even have to read the chapter before it

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Somerset, KY

#99803 Apr 15, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
2 bombs. My cousin was running the marathon
Maybe we should Ban Scary Black Assault Bombs.... Oh wait, They are... Hummm.... Guess bad guys don't care about bans maybe.....

Location hidden

#99804 Apr 15, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>While your points are valid, do you feel that you belong to the christian CULT or to a religion?
I ask because if you truly believe and TRY to live by those beliefs my comments are not directed towards you. My comments are for the followers of the christian CULT who use a made up god to justify their hate filled blood lust and to elevate themselves above others (by defaming others) and worship social status and wealth.
While I disagree with you about god I am sure that your god and the christian cults god are nothing alike.
I do know that there are very good people who TRY to follow the christian religion, nothing against them at all.(notice I cap the word TRY? No one can do any more than that)
I think they are one and the same God, the fallacy is the follow through from the individual believer.
I am a Christian so I don't see how you are somehow silently not including me in your attacks. I realize that I don't act like the ones that seem to attract the most attention, but isn't that usually the case? The normal ones are overlooked while the nutjobs like Warren Jeffs and the Westboro clan calls themselves Christian and then do things that as opposite of Chirstlike.

Location hidden

#99805 Apr 15, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>Hiya witch, hope all is good with you. Your post is one of the reasons I love and respect witches, they are so nice saying religies are "gullible, naive people". I personally like the term idiots. I like calling thier imaginary critter, a sky fairy, invisible daddy, god in a jesus suit, etc etc, and calling believers sheep, ignorant, illogical, religies, etc, it is only meant to ridicule the mentally challenged. No hate, just no respect for thier absurd and ridiculous belief.
Thanks for trying to help us understand how you justify your actions while trying to convince people that you do not portray the very definition of hate.
Fail

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#99806 Apr 15, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe we should Ban Scary Black Assault Bombs.... Oh wait, They are... Hummm.... Guess bad guys don't care about bans maybe.....
Why can't either side of that stupid debate avoid politicizing tragedy for their own gain?

Shame on you for that.

“There is no god.”

USA

#99807 Apr 15, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for trying to help us understand how you justify your actions while trying to convince people that you do not portray the very definition of hate.
Fail
Obviously you're an idiot. Justify? That is your belief.
what

Pikeville, KY

#99808 Apr 15, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said he was "higher up" in the church. What made you think that?
u didnt say if he was or not, i was just pointing out that if he was he had many reasons to lie to make it seem as god is there with him. even if he isnt higher up in church he could use that to maybe persuade some to think he is better suited to move up in the ranks as well. ppl lie for many reasons unknown, the only truth is that ppl do lie. both believers and non-believers lie so thats why real hard evidence is need instead of just eye witness. hard evidence does not lie.

Location hidden

#99809 Apr 15, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So if the prophets are really gods spokes person, then just how could Brigham be so racist? I get that they may not be perfect, but if they are speaking for god, and the speach is racist, then we must then question all speaking the prophets do for the god. Problem is, most people who follow prophets never question.
Thus, the whole idea of prophets fail.
Everyone has their faults, even prophets. Same with Jonah. He didn't like Ninevites. You could say he was predjudice against them. God taught him a lesson that he never really did swallow.
One guy got mad at Smith for not spelling his name right in a revelation for his mission call and left the church. Did his bad spelling make him less of a prophet?

Brigham's perceived racism to me seems unacceptable, but at that time it probably sounded pretty normal in America. Sad but true. Maybe that's why no one questioned it then. But since then, every prophet has proclaimed that this tendency was not inspired. Not was it original. Many Christian pastors then thought black skin was the curse of Cain. Maybe this made a lot of sense to him so he ran with it and expounded on it.

We are encouraged to pray about the things our prophet and apostles tell us. We need to get our own confirmation from the Holy Ghost of its truth.

Location hidden

#99810 Apr 15, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>And just what makes one man more worthy than another? The one who does not tell anyone about his many sins?
Worthiness is a matter between man and God. We do not compare to each other. That's God's job to judge.

Location hidden

#99812 Apr 15, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>What is that, some kind of weird Pascal's Wager?

This is a big reason I always disliked religion. Too many implied and explicit threats.
This is no threat, nor a wager. We all face some time where a loved one is deathly sick, or gets hurt, etc. This would be the time a believer would pray for a good outcome. In many cases, the prayer is answered, even against bad odds. To that individual, it is a miracle. It won't make the news, but it solidified that person's faith.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
~*~ Last Post Wins ~*~ (Aug '11) 12 min Red_Forman 7,777
Word Association (Aug '11) 14 min Red_Forman 7,005
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... (Jul '14) 15 min Paris 33,375
Add a word, Drop a word (May '10) 15 min Red_Forman 25,725
To the fat beyotch wearing a Trump shirt at Riv... 17 min Jerry 23
Kayla Iricks (Upike) KK Simmons 1 hr KaylaIricks 2
Whats wrong with black people ? 2 hr Vilis 9
Vanderbeck Wants More Alcohol Sales 2 hr Vilis 29
More Ray Jones Rants 8 hr ANE smut 30

Pikeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pikeville Mortgages