Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
90,581 - 90,600 of 128,617 Comments Last updated 7 min ago

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#94714
Feb 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

How stupid can you be wrote:
<quoted text>Not as bad as what your kind do to children!
.
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religi...
.
I guess... if they're not out helping people, they cannot perform in your rituals!
Boo Hoo!
I do not click on your links. Most of them are false web sites put up by people like you. I notice that the link here says false right in the name

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#94715
Feb 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Satanic Priest wrote:
I wonder how Brian G would feel if we wnted to teach Satanism in public schools, or how about Judaism or Muslim teachings?
How about Christianity; parents should decide. Secularism causes harm in personal life, and freedom when applied to government. Religion helps children learn to grow and encourages population growth; I favor religion over the left's policy of death, abortion, moral confusion, gender equality and fundamentalist atheism.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#94716
Feb 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Yet...
in the Grand canyon... Layers 50' above the other show the same dates....
Gee... how could this be?
Without actually checking out your claim I'm going to point out a logical fallacy that you have made numerous times. It is a fallacy that underpins both the Creationist movement and most Conspiracy Theories:

Anomaly Hunting.

Steven Novella:

"One of the most common and insidious bits of cognitive self-deception is the process of anomaly hunting. A true anomaly is something that cannot be explained by our current model of nature – it doesn’t fit into existing theories. Anomalies are therefore very useful to scientific inquiry because they point to new knowledge, the potential to deepen or extend existing theories.

For example, the orbit of Mercury could not be explained by Newtownian mechanics – it was a true anomaly. It and other anomalies hinted at the fact that Newton’s laws of motion were incomplete in a fundamental way. This recognition eventually led to Einstein’s revolution of relativity theory.

Pseudoscientists – those pretending to do science (maybe even sincerely believing they are doing science) but who get the process profoundly wrong, use anomalies in a different way. They often engage it what we call anomaly hunting – looking for apparent anomalies. They are not, however, looking for clues to a deeper understanding of reality. They are often hunting for anomalies in service to the overarching pseudoscientific process of reverse engineering scientific conclusions.

What this means is that pseudoscience almost always works backwards – that is its primary malfunction, starting with a desired conclusion and then looking for evidence and twisting logic to support that conclusion."

http://minnesotaskeptics.com/2011/12/19/simpl...

As it turns out, the geology of the Grand Canyon is pretty well understood. It is complex but it does not provide any evidence of a global flood. And frankly the idea that a flood can carve the Grand Canyon in 40 days (or even 40 years) is ridiculous.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#94717
Feb 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

How about ethical monotheism; there is a Creator and we are held accountable for our actions after life? Bible study is good, all bible study but I recommend not the bible quotes of radical atheists.

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#94718
Feb 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>How about Christianity; parents should decide. Secularism causes harm in personal life, and freedom when applied to government. Religion helps children learn to grow and encourages population growth; I favor religion over the left's policy of death, abortion, moral confusion, gender equality and fundamentalist atheism.
If you are trying to use religion to justify your political views please read your bible, Matthew 25:32-46.
It is your cult that causes harm in personal lives and social issues. Your cult held back the advancement of the human race in the middle ages, it is your cult that wants to cut down forest and pollute the earth for profits.
You are using religion to justify selfish greed and hate (for the poor)
Your cult shall not be forced on to others nor taught as fact.
Your rights end where my rights begin, you do not have the right to violate others rights

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#94719
Feb 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Brian_G wrote:
How about ethical monotheism; there is a Creator and we are held accountable for our actions after life? Bible study is good, all bible study but I recommend not the bible quotes of radical atheists.
How does a bible verse change if a normal person quotes it or a sick freak like you quotes it?
Funny how christians run away from their own bible

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#94720
Feb 6, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Satanic Priest wrote:
How does a bible verse change if a normal person quotes it or a sick freak like you quotes it? Funny how christians run away from their own bible
I've never claimed to be Christian; I choose what I disclose. I favor Christians over sick interpretations of outdated bible verse quotes.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#94721
Feb 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Brian_G wrote:
How about ethical monotheism; there is a Creator and we are held accountable for our actions after life? Bible study is good, all bible study but I recommend not the bible quotes of radical atheists.
Doesn't truth matter to you?

If so, demonstrate that there is a "Creator". So far no one has been able to do that. Accepting such a hypothesis is not very rational since there is no evidence to support it. And if you can't make a good case for it on what grounds would you call it true?

Also, what is your criteria for deciding which Bible verses are acceptable? Because if you start with the premise that a Creator is in control and he wrote a book of rules then you say that some of those rules are "outdated" you have cut the legs out from under your first premise. You move the moral authority from your Creator figurehead back to your own personal judgement.

I skip all of that. Since I have no evidence for a Creator I assume we humans are on our own and we'd better make wise choices. We make wise choices by having the conversation and trying our best to find the truth.

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#94722
Feb 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I've never claimed to be Christian; I choose what I disclose. I favor Christians over sick interpretations of outdated bible verse quotes.
While I agree with the sick (and evil, hate filled, violent) part you can not say that the verses are "outdated" because (the imaginary) god did not say "this changes with the times" or "this is old, here is something new"
More proof that man made god. The christian cult speaks for god and changes their evil bible.
You support teaching the (outdated) bible to children and favor the christian cult that rapes children, murders people, over good Satanist?

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#94723
Feb 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

How stupid can you be wrote:
<quoted text>It is part of OUR History!
Yes, it is. The founding fathers decided that nobody should have a religion forced on them by the government. "Everybody" includes students in public schools.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#94724
Feb 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

How stupid can you be wrote:
<quoted text>God does know the heart, But how many times have we felt something to be good in our hearts, and minds, and found it to be all wrong?
If one thinks on something that is a sin long enough they desire it, and ends up doing it in our heart!
As Jesus said, If you lust in your heart, you've commited adulty!
When Christians got to these shores it was not morally wrong to burn women at the stake. It was not morally wrong to own slaves. It was not morally wrong to commit adultery with those slaves. It was not morally wrong to commit genocide against natives. "Not OUR fault - the ATHEISTS did it!" doesn't wash.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#94725
Feb 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>How about Christianity; parents should decide. Secularism causes harm in personal life, and freedom when applied to government. Religion helps children learn to grow and encourages population growth; I favor religion over the left's policy of death, abortion, moral confusion, gender equality and fundamentalist atheism.
I favor the parents deciding for their own children - not for their neighbor's.
I favor facts over unsubstantiated generalities like "secularism causes harm..." and concocted nonsense phrases like "fundamentalist atheism."
I favor rational and critical thinking over blind political partisanship.
I favor responsible parenting over "be fruitful and multiply."
I favor truth over lies, bigotry and superstition.
christianmorals

Elkhorn City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#94726
Feb 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

just a quick note...the heart does nothing but pump blood so that u can live. it doesn nothin in the way of emotions or feelings or any of that. its like that in the bible cuz back in the day they actually thought the heart is where they did the thinkin from

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#94727
Feb 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Yiago wrote:
Doesn't truth matter to you?
Yes, truth matters more than politically convenient lies.

.
Yiago wrote:
If so, demonstrate that there is a "Creator". So far no one has been able to do that. Accepting such a hypothesis is not very rational since there is no evidence to support it. And if you can't make a good case for it on what grounds would you call it true?
Faith.

.
Yiago wrote:
Also, what is your criteria for deciding which Bible verses are acceptable?
Bible study; you don't take the words of an atheist on interpreting biblical meaning.

.
Yiago wrote:
Because if you start with the premise that a Creator is in control and he wrote a book of rules then you say that some of those rules are "outdated" you have cut the legs out from under your first premise.
I'm pro bible study, most religions have done outstanding work teaching ethics and morality.

.
Yiago wrote:
You move the moral authority from your Creator figurehead back to your own personal judgement.
No, let's keep God in the equation; that way it works for everyone.

.
Yiago wrote:
I skip all of that. Since I have no evidence for a Creator I assume we humans are on our own and we'd better make wise choices. We make wise choices by having the conversation and trying our best to find the truth.
Where's the secularist's body of ethical and moral work? We don't got to atheists for issues that transcend the physical, because they say it's all relative and don't help at all.
youtube

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#94728
Feb 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

.

2015 "SIGN" --- ID's WW3 & Final 7 Years

http://www.youtube.com/watch...


.
please

Catlettsburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#94729
Feb 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't truth matter to you?
If so, demonstrate that there is a "Creator". So far no one has been able to do that. Accepting such a hypothesis is not very rational since there is no evidence to support it. And if you can't make a good case for it on what grounds would you call it true?
Also, what is your criteria for deciding which Bible verses are acceptable? Because if you start with the premise that a Creator is in control and he wrote a book of rules then you say that some of those rules are "outdated" you have cut the legs out from under your first premise. You move the moral authority from your Creator figurehead back to your own personal judgement.
I skip all of that. Since I have no evidence for a Creator I assume we humans are on our own and we'd better make wise choices. We make wise choices by having the conversation and trying our best to find the truth.
Watch this and then explain how it's all just an accident please.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#94730
Feb 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't truth matter to you?
If so, demonstrate that there is a "Creator". So far no one has been able to do that. Accepting such a hypothesis is not very rational since there is no evidence to support it. And if you can't make a good case for it on what grounds would you call it true?
Also, what is your criteria for deciding which Bible verses are acceptable? Because if you start with the premise that a Creator is in control and he wrote a book of rules then you say that some of those rules are "outdated" you have cut the legs out from under your first premise. You move the moral authority from your Creator figurehead back to your own personal judgement.
I skip all of that. Since I have no evidence for a Creator I assume we humans are on our own and we'd better make wise choices. We make wise choices by having the conversation and trying our best to find the truth.
Yiago - you should remember that "truth" has a mutable definition to religies, and that if you ask for documentation or proof from one it will invariably be faith based opinion or derived from some round about meanderings from scripture, FOX or some goofball organization like DI.
You can't argue with a sheep and expect to get anything intelligible as a reply.
"What do you think of planned parenthood?"
"BAA-AD!"
"How do you feel about the POTUS being re-elected?"
"MAA-AD!"
"Well then, what do you think about other cultures and religions?"
"belch"
"Have you heard that... Hey! Stop chewing on my shoelaces!"

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#94731
Feb 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

"Faith" is not proof of anything. Hey, how about I prove there is no god by saying "faith in my reasoning ability" That makes more sense than trying to prove your god by YOUR faith
("I believe so it is true") Try a better tactic than ignorance.
BAAAAAAH

Hyden, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#94732
Feb 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Keep religion out of school It is nothing short of a bird being imprinted .I would never want a child of mine forced to listen to it.nothing more than a astronomical parody that got out of control .Used by the Romans to control .There have been thousands of gods .The recent version is no different .Spend your life worshiping a book edited and written for jews by jews .Your parents dragged you to be imprinted and you will drag your offspring to get the same and so the cycle keeps going ..Wake up SHEEP

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#94733
Feb 6, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

ChromiuMan wrote:
Yiago - you should remember that "truth" has a mutable definition to religies, and that if you ask for documentation or proof from one it will invariably be faith based opinion or derived from some round about meanderings from scripture, FOX or some goofball organization like DI.
You can't argue with a sheep and expect to get anything intelligible as a reply.
"What do you think of planned parenthood?"
"BAA-AD!"
"How do you feel about the POTUS being re-elected?"
"MAA-AD!"
"Well then, what do you think about other cultures and religions?"
"belch"
"Have you heard that... Hey! Stop chewing on my shoelaces!"
They can't deal with their real political opponents so they make up fictional opponents. That way, they can feel supreior.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

133 Users are viewing the Pikeville Forum right now

Search the Pikeville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 min DITCH MITCH 146,205
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 22 min Corporate America 66
song title game, anyone? (Oct '08) 57 min Musikologist 22,552
Obama is No Leader 1 hr Republicans Are Stupid 5
obamaScare (Aug '13) 1 hr Republicans Are Stupid 1,406
US On Pace to IMPORT Record Amounts of Coal Thi... 1 hr Republicans Are Stupid 5
Facebook parents that think there kids are royalty 1 hr the times 33
paris cowboy = music 5 hr MUSICK-NESS 73
Dr Thad Manning (Feb '12) 8 hr Jack 40
•••
•••
•••
•••

Pikeville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Pikeville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Pikeville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Pikeville
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••