Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,619

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#94737 Feb 6, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>They can't deal with their real political opponents so they make up fictional opponents. That way, they can feel supreior.
I could afford you serious and thoughtful debate on religion, sexual morality, economics, politics, gun laws, etc. point by point and get nowhere or I can entertain myself. My choice?
Brian_G, a wall street executive and an OWS demonstrator sit down at a bar. The bartender says, "What'll you three gents have?" The exec and demonstrator give him a startled look and move down a seat.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#94738 Feb 6, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
Are you talking about the christian cult? I know that they make up "sin" to feel superior to others so yea, I can see them making up a lot of other stuff. After all they made up "god"
No, I'm talking about ChromiuMan's cult and the quote above.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#94739 Feb 6, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Are you talking about the christian cult? I know that they make up "sin" to feel superior to others so yea, I can see them making up a lot of other stuff. After all they made up "god"
It's called "paralogism," SP. It only makes sense to themselves, but it must be true since it makes sense to themselves... That's why conversing with religies is just a treadmill of circular logic - nothing else gets in.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>No, I'm talking about ChromiuMan's cult and the quote above.
LOL! That's new. I've never been accused of being in a cult. Ever. See - there's what I was talking about, SP. Another great example of paralogism from Brain_D. However, the bait doesn't work. Leave it to a religie to try to put a cinderblock in a mousetrap.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#94740 Feb 6, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, truth matters more than politically convenient lies.
<quoted text>Faith.
<quoted text>Bible study; you don't take the words of an atheist on interpreting biblical meaning.
<quoted text>I'm pro bible study, most religions have done outstanding work teaching ethics and morality.
<quoted text>No, let's keep God in the equation; that way it works for everyone.
<quoted text>Where's the secularist's body of ethical and moral work? We don't got to atheists for issues that transcend the physical, because they say it's all relative and don't help at all.
I like how you slice up my posts and answer them out of context. Some of your answers don't even seem to follow any logic. Like this: "I'm pro bible study, most religions have done outstanding work teaching ethics and morality." This was in response to my point that by saying some Bible verses are "outdated" you are in effect applying your own judgement to the text. Yet it was allegedly inspired by God, right?

Your reply to that point was oddly not to the point.

Anyway, regarding your last point, here are some links to discussions about ethics. It is a secular field of study.

http://www.iep.utm.edu/ethics/

http://www.scu.edu/ethics/practicing/decision...

http://www.press.uchicago.edu/ucp/journals/jo...

Religious ideas are certainly referenced in this field of study since religions tend to promote certain ideas about morality. But the study of morality is not in and of itself religious.

Atheism has nothing to say about ethics or morals since atheism is merely not believing in god. It is not a worldview, nor is it a system of morals or a set of rules on how to behave.

Morality is about well being. That is the root of it. And we have a lot of areas of agreement about this between all the religions and those without religion. For example if told you that I think it is wrong to hurt people you would probably agree with me. In a nutshell that is what morality is all about.

Strange...we do not need a deity to figure that out.

Location hidden

#94741 Feb 6, 2013
please wrote:
<quoted text>
Watch this and then explain how it's all just an accident please.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =2N3hUuDgU4YXX
It's over an hour long. It's a Jesus video. In the first few seconds the pastor says that the Earth seems to be the most unique planet in the universe.

Considering we've never been to any other planets besides Earth, Mars (via rovers) and the Moon I think he's got a HUUUUGE logical fallacy right off the bat.

Why don't you distill the message of the video here so I don't have to waste my valuable time? I don't have an afterlife, you know. Gotta make this count. lol

Location hidden

#94742 Feb 6, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Yiago - you should remember that "truth" has a mutable definition to religies, and that if you ask for documentation or proof from one it will invariably be faith based opinion or derived from some round about meanderings from scripture, FOX or some goofball organization like DI.
You can't argue with a sheep and expect to get anything intelligible as a reply.
"What do you think of planned parenthood?"
"BAA-AD!"
"How do you feel about the POTUS being re-elected?"
"MAA-AD!"
"Well then, what do you think about other cultures and religions?"
"belch"
"Have you heard that... Hey! Stop chewing on my shoelaces!"
I know. I guess sometimes I just hope that people will be rational, reasonable, and all that jazz. But time after time it doesn't end up that way. It always comes down to faith, atheism has no moral basis, and I'm a Nazi. Doesn't matter where it starts, that's where it seems to end.

Because when you argue from a position that isn't rational faith is really your last defense. And it is also a great way to shut down any further dialog.
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#94745 Feb 6, 2013
ARE YOU A GENUINE CHRISTIAN?
It is vital for each person who claims to be a Christian to answer this question positively. Why? Because God’s approval depends thereon. Christianity is not merely a belief or a label, but a way of life. Does your way of life reflect Christ’s example? Does your religious practice match the Biblical quality of the early Christians?
The apostle Paul invites us:“Put yourselves to the proof, to see whether you are holding the Faith. Test yourselves.”(2 Corinthians 13:5, The Twentieth Century New Testament) To this end, we invite you to check the following short list, while looking up the cited scriptures in your own Bible.
1. Do you participate in national or political loyalties that cause divisions among professed Christians?—1 Corinthians 1:10; John 18:36; James 1:27.
2. How do you define Christian love?—1 Corinthians 13:4-8.
3. Do you, in practice, endeavor to show true neighbor love? How?—Matthew 22:39; John 13:34, 35.
4. Are you kind, tenderly compassionate and forgiving toward others?—Ephesians 4:31; Romans 12:10.
5. In your daily life, do you avoid lying, stealing, cheating and the use of obscene and abusive language?—Ephesians 5:3-5; 4:25-31.
6. Are you inclined to think that sexual morality is of minor importance?—Mark 7:20-23.
7. Do you tend to excesses in eating and drinking?—Proverbs 23:20, 21; Ephesians 5:18.
8. Do you try to communicate true Christian faith to others by word and deed?—Romans 10:9, 10; 1 Corinthians 9:16.
At what conclusion do you arrive? Do true Christians really exist today? Do you know of any who earnestly try to live like Christ and at the same time make a real effort to communicate their Christian belief and way of life to their neighbors? Does your own religion in fact teach and practice genuine Christianity? Or is this just an attractive label or impressive signature?
If you do not already know them personally, we suggest you take a closer look at Jehovah’s Witnesses in your vicinity and see if they are conscientiously endeavoring to measure up to the Bible standards considered above. If you do not know where they are located, we will be glad to help you to get in touch with them.—Isaiah 43:10-12; Acts 11:26.
www.jw.org
Grey Boxer

London, KY

#94746 Feb 6, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
It is vital for each person who claims to be a Christian to answer this question positively. Why? Because God’s approval depends thereon. Christianity is not merely a belief or a label, but a way of life. Does your way of life reflect Christ’s example? Does your religious practice match the Biblical quality of the early Christians?
The apostle Paul invites us:“Put yourselves to the proof, to see whether you are holding the Faith. Test yourselves.”(2 Corinthians 13:5, The Twentieth Century New Testament) To this end, we invite you to check the following short list, while looking up the cited scriptures in your own Bible.
1. Do you participate in national or political loyalties that cause divisions among professed Christians?—1 Corinthians 1:10; John 18:36; James 1:27.
3. Do you, in practice, endeavor to show true neighbor love? How?—Matthew 22:39; John 13:34, 35.
4. Are you kind, tenderly compassionate and forgiving toward others?—Ephesians 4:31; Romans 12:10.
5. In your daily life, do you avoid lying, stealing, cheating and the use of obscene and abusive language?—Ephesians 5:3-5; 4:25-31.
6. Are you inclined to think that sexual morality is of minor importance?—Mark 7:20-23.
7. Do you tend to excesses in eating and drinking?—Proverbs 23:20, 21; Ephesians 5:18.
8. Do you try to communicate true Christian faith to others by word and deed?—Romans 10:9, 10; 1 Corinthians 9:16.
At what conclusion do you arrive? Do true Christians really exist today? Do you know of any who earnestly try to live like Christ and at the same time make a real effort to communicate their Christian belief and way of life to their neighbors? Does your own religion in fact teach and practice genuine Christianity? Or is this just an attractive label or impressive signature?
If you do not already know them personally, we suggest you take a closer look at Jehovah’s Witnesses in your vicinity and see if they are conscientiously endeavoring to measure up to the Bible standards considered above. If you do not know where they are located, we will be glad to help you to get in touch with them.—Isaiah 43:10-12; Acts 11:26.
www.jw.org
See, thats all you JWs can do is parrot what the GB tells you too. You all just copy/paste the same crap you try to sling at the doors. You should research your religion. They first thought 1914 was going to be the end, then when it wasn't they changed it to Jesus came back but no one saw it. Then this generation won't pass away yet it did. Your religion is a joke, a doomsday cult and thats it.

How does it feel to never have an original thought?

How many kids in your religion are killed over the no blood rule?
GWB

Roseville, CA

#94747 Feb 6, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
www.jw.org
Florida is ranked 5th among racists states in America. Do JW have segregated kingdom halls?
GWB

Roseville, CA

#94748 Feb 6, 2013
Known Fact wrote:

www.jw.org
Can a fat gluttonous person remain a JW?
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#94749 Feb 6, 2013
Grey Boxer wrote:
<quoted text>
See, thats all you JWs can do is parrot what the GB tells you too. You all just copy/paste the same crap you try to sling at the doors. You should research your religion. They first thought 1914 was going to be the end, then when it wasn't they changed it to Jesus came back but no one saw it. Then this generation won't pass away yet it did. Your religion is a joke, a doomsday cult and thats it.
How does it feel to never have an original thought?
How many kids in your religion are killed over the no blood rule?
How many of your religion have been killed by giving them a blood transfusion in rejecting a clear command from the Holy Scriptures Acts 15:28,29? Do some research on your own!
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#94750 Feb 6, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
Can a fat gluttonous person remain a JW?
Can they remain a member of your religion?
GWB

Roseville, CA

#94751 Feb 6, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>How about Christianity; parents should decide. Secularism causes harm in personal life, and freedom when applied to government. Religion helps children learn to grow and encourages population growth; I favor religion over the left's policy of death, abortion, moral confusion, gender equality and fundamentalist atheism.
Student in school ask Brian some questions below.

Is there a commandment in the bible to celebrate Jesus birthday?

Why did a bright shining star lead the magi to Jesus?

Is astrology condemn in the bible?
GWB

Roseville, CA

#94752 Feb 6, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
How many of your religion have been killed by giving them a blood transfusion in rejecting a clear command from the Holy Scriptures Acts 15:28,29? Do some research on your own!
Which sin is worse? Taking blood to save a life or sinning against the holy spirit? Which one can be forgiven?
GWB

Roseville, CA

#94753 Feb 6, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Can they remain a member of your religion?
Are any obese JW going door to door placing watchtower magazines?
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#94754 Feb 6, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
Florida is ranked 5th among racists states in America. Do JW have segregated kingdom halls?
Acts 10:34,35 :“For a certainty I perceive that God is not partial, 35 but in every nation the man that fears him and works righteousness is acceptable to him.

Jehovah's Witnesses follow the Scriptures!

Does that answer your question?
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#94755 Feb 6, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
Which sin is worse? Taking blood to save a life or sinning against the holy spirit? Which one can be forgiven?
Is it suicide if you agree to take a blood transfussion and it kills you?
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#94756 Feb 6, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
Are any obese JW going door to door placing watchtower magazines?
Are there any obese members of your religion?
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#94757 Feb 6, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
What does the word 'abstain' mean?
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#94758 Feb 6, 2013
KJV changed God’s word

Where did the King James translators get the authority to change so much of God’s inspired word?

1.) By what authority did they take God’s name JEHOVAH out of his own book over 7,000 times?
2.) By whose authority did they mistranslate the word cross for the Greek word STAUROS which means an upright stake not one with a cross bow.
3.) By whose authority did they have for changing the word Passover to the word Easter.

And some have the audacity to accuse Jehovah’s Witnesses for adding the letter ‘a’ to clarify the fact that Jesus is not Almighty God! John 1:18 proves that he is not!“No man has seen God at any time.” Yet many persons saw Jesus!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
big wind 16 min City BS 3
Keith Hall's withdrawl of a withdrawal decision. 19 min Give me a break 61
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 21 min LiberTEA 18,274
Stilhaus Kitchens Reviews 24 min PITALOKA 1
Barry Chaney 26 min Table Hitter 32
Add a word, Drop a word (May '10) 29 min Analog man 21,998
Judge Steve Combs Investigated? (Apr '14) 29 min About Time 45
Blacks are embarrassing themselves at ferguson. 10 hr Really 21
Pikeville Dating
Find my Match