Whats with all the new Car Clubs

Posted in the Pikeville Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Lone Wolf

Richmond, KY

#1 May 7, 2013
I hear we have two new old Car Clubs in the County now aside from the Good Ole Boys Car Club. The Elkhorn City Cruisers and the Coal Run Cruisers each are from the town in their name. Are they different, different clubs for different kinds of cars? I know there is one down at Paintsville called the Gearheads, are there anymore in the area? Can anybody join and what do you have to do to join.
Elliott

Macon, GA

#2 May 8, 2013
Maybe they are sick of the local window sticker car club.

I wish them well.
Quick Change

Pikeville, KY

#4 May 12, 2013
Also forgot to mention the best of show. Now that is a disgrace if ever there was one.

A Cuda. And not a very nice one won. Best of show should not be subjective. And clearly this was because there were things about it that my 9 year old noticed.
love to cruise

Manchester, KY

#5 May 12, 2013
so how many cars did they have at MOM?

The weather looked alittle sketchy Sat morning.
Quick Change

Macon, GA

#6 May 13, 2013
Maybe 35 cars. I noticed some of the incoming were arriving during the breaks in the clouds. And these were the Corvette/Camaro crowd. Myself I could care less about the rain. Now some do and thats their choice. But then again it shows what they are all about. Check out the Weather Channel and one cloud 125 miles to the West and you won't get that bondo filled, orange peeled, wavey sheetmetal, wires hanging eveywhere crap out for fear of a little rain.

Shame on the fair weather bunch for staying home. Shows like this will never make it by depending on the likes of you. You are the look at me and my ride types that have no true love of the car culture.

Lastly GOB's how many plaques and tophies does it take? In the end its still a Corvette a Viper or a Camaro. Whats special about something one can walk into a thousand dealerships all over the U.S. and buy? Special is something created or revived with sweat and effort. Something that once was beat up or rusted down and brought back to its glory. Thats something special. Not something bought. So for me my opinion is those that buy their way to the trophies are Ego loving fakes. It wouldn't suprise me to see the next show have a newest ride award. Now that would be something. All the GOB's would be at the Walters group buying minutes before muscle at main opens.

Heck take that fat wallet and buy you something that doesn't require a factory trained "Technician" to check the oil. The public would respect you more. But I do see the problem in that. You would actually need to have some mechanical skills to maintain it. Oh well I look forward to seeing the 2014's soon on the third Saturdays.
Jimmy

Macon, GA

#7 May 13, 2013
I was disappointed that there was not many cars for the show. It is a good thing to have and I can tell you if I had something to drive I would. With all the sharp cars in this area I just can't see why the town isn't full. We always moan about nothing to do in pike county then we dont come out. Come on people we need to help this thing keep on going.
Home Town Cruiser

Richmond, KY

#8 May 13, 2013
Jimmy wrote:
I was disappointed that there was not many cars for the show. It is a good thing to have and I can tell you if I had something to drive I would. With all the sharp cars in this area I just can't see why the town isn't full. We always moan about nothing to do in pike county then we dont come out. Come on people we need to help this thing keep on going.
Threat of rain, drag race at Prestonsburg? Spring show usually is the largest one but several factors limited the number of cars the rain being the rain reason. Did not see a lot from the other local clubs, most will just support their own city. No matter, each club for it's own town works, Pikeville will do OK on the days it don't rain. Everybody there had a good time so that is all that mattered!
Question

Georgetown, KY

#9 May 13, 2013
Quick Change wrote:
Maybe 35 cars. I noticed some of the incoming were arriving during the breaks in the clouds. And these were the Corvette/Camaro crowd. Myself I could care less about the rain. Now some do and thats their choice. But then again it shows what they are all about. Check out the Weather Channel and one cloud 125 miles to the West and you won't get that bondo filled, orange peeled, wavey sheetmetal, wires hanging eveywhere crap out for fear of a little rain.
Shame on the fair weather bunch for staying home. Shows like this will never make it by depending on the likes of you. You are the look at me and my ride types that have no true love of the car culture.
Lastly GOB's how many plaques and tophies does it take? In the end its still a Corvette a Viper or a Camaro. Whats special about something one can walk into a thousand dealerships all over the U.S. and buy? Special is something created or revived with sweat and effort. Something that once was beat up or rusted down and brought back to its glory. Thats something special. Not something bought. So for me my opinion is those that buy their way to the trophies are Ego loving fakes. It wouldn't suprise me to see the next show have a newest ride award. Now that would be something. All the GOB's would be at the Walters group buying minutes before muscle at main opens.
Heck take that fat wallet and buy you something that doesn't require a factory trained "Technician" to check the oil. The public would respect you more. But I do see the problem in that. You would actually need to have some mechanical skills to maintain it. Oh well I look forward to seeing the 2014's soon on the third Saturdays.
Why are you so torn up about guys that have new rides? Honestly, you jump on every chance to again bash the club and the event. Quit going, you seriously have mental issues BW! Sad thing is, you run right to them at every event and buddy right up then go home and back to stabbing them again. Are you saying new cars should not be allowed? So if a 17 year old bought a new Camaro, he should not be allowed at muscle on main? I know with your expertise, you have been to Somerset. Tons of new cars...look at their pics....they are right there to see. Rain kills an event, no matter where it is...in April, they had 425 cars, rain on Friday and cloudy on Saturday. That event averages over a 1000. Muscle didn't break 100 but they had more than 35. Your attitude is the same as others in the county and the reason nothing prospers....you are either part of the problem or part of the answer....what's your position. Man a post and help....please quit whining! Your cruise in is Friday and rain is in the forecast.....can't wait to post the results since you are a cruise master!
Quick Change

Macon, GA

#10 May 14, 2013
Question wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you so torn up about guys that have new rides? Honestly, you jump on every chance to again bash the club and the event. Quit going, you seriously have mental issues BW! Sad thing is, you run right to them at every event and buddy right up then go home and back to stabbing them again. Are you saying new cars should not be allowed? So if a 17 year old bought a new Camaro, he should not be allowed at muscle on main? I know with your expertise, you have been to Somerset. Tons of new cars...look at their pics....they are right there to see. Rain kills an event, no matter where it is...in April, they had 425 cars, rain on Friday and cloudy on Saturday. That event averages over a 1000. Muscle didn't break 100 but they had more than 35. Your attitude is the same as others in the county and the reason nothing prospers....you are either part of the problem or part of the answer....what's your position. Man a post and help....please quit whining! Your cruise in is Friday and rain is in the forecast.....can't wait to post the results since you are a cruise master!
No mental issues here. Just pointing out that the new rides are not what excites most of the general public. These new rides can be seen at any dealership in the U.S.A. All of that is fine but when the shows add to the stupidity by offering up trophies for these window sticker rides then it deminishes the value of the show.
Political Infighting

Richmond, KY

#11 May 14, 2013
Personal fight between a guy and the guy that is over the Muscle on Main. Quick change wants to run the M.O.M. and warm up to the city council. The guy that runs M.O.M. is the lightning rod as M.O.M. is only a made up name, a cushion that seperates the city council from the event. As long as these two people are butting heads and going after each other the event will suffer and anybody close to these two.

It is not about the cars or the recreation event for these two, they are going after each other in a political dogfight and destroying Muscle on Main, the car club that is a recreation club that is just trying to help promote the event for everybody and also destroying each other. One quit a club he was not allowed to run or politicize "dragged this fight into it". The other still has not learned that his every action is scrutinized in relation to how he runs the Muscle on Main event.

It is a shame that two people in a political dogfight can ruin a recreation event that was popular and to be enjoyed by all the car enthusiast in the area. The car show "IF" you are going to have a car show should be run by a third party. An auto related business or a charity without any connection to M.O.M. and the person over M.O.M. should stay away from it. Car shows can be controversial and that is why most city councils stay away from them unless they are a charity event.
The burnout or Drifting activity is not controversial and has never got dragged into this dogfight because it is run by a third party. A local tire company. Hillbilly days is not that controversial because all the venders actually run their portion of it and the city employee only coordinates. M.O.M. needs to be the same way. All the events need to be run by local auto related business or charities and a certain city employee needs to become invisible. At least until these two get this political dogfight finished.
Wasting Your Time

Richmond, KY

#12 May 14, 2013
Question wrote:
<quoted text>
The comments quick change makes about the new cars, the car show, the car club he quit because they don't get involved in political dogfights are just part of his way of communicating with the city council. Dogmatic about how he can run the M.O.M. better than the person he is engaged in a political dogfight with in order to ingratiate himself with the city council.
Foolish enough to think he can argue his case on a gossip site and tarnish or trash the event. If he trashes the event he trashes the person he is wanting to replace or do an end run around. Throwing another tantrum on the social media. This is not about the newer model retro cars or sports cars. We will just have to see if he turns any of them away at his activities with the new club he is forming at Coal Run. If he is the all knowing auto event guru and is successful with his auto club I say let him run the M.O.M. as he wants to now. Until he shows the city how much better he is than the city employee he has this personal grudge against I imagine he will stay on the outside looking in.
Nice effort

Georgetown, KY

#13 May 14, 2013
But this is not a political dogfight. Reason being the city employee does not make the final decisions. He answers to the city manager and follows the orders he is told to follow. This is a problem because people think that decisions are made from one person and don't realize that the club, the city are both deciding what's going on and then when it's implemented, the one person gets the blame. The relationship with the club and the city is a good standing relationship. The car club shows up at the event and helps promote it. The city markets the car club with the event and seeks advice from the club on what they want to do. It is not between two but the real issue is the former club member hates the city and if moving to coal run didnt make it clear, nothing will. The other may want to run the event but the city employee will not be replaced because he has other responsibilities besides M.O.M. This event is just one of the many he works not to mention he is the tourism guy for the city. As far as the shows go, I agree that a third party needs to do it but if one must be done, that only leaves him to do it from the city's end. Even the tire business has to do what the city says and the reason its successful is he has a good relationship with the city employee. Thats the truth. The main problem is you have more complaints than you do positive compliments. This event will be much better this year! Wait and see! If I'm wrong, I will say I'm wrong but I guarantee it grows this year! There is no political dogfight in a situation that is not possible. Get the employee some help and it will grow! It still is popular and it's something to do on a weekend that we never had until that employee started working for the city. The club and commission brought the idea to the table but it takes all to make it work, even the spectators in our community. People have such an entitlement feel here that somebody is always going to complain...no matter what. Can't wait till June! I will be there to support both the club and the city.
Quick Change

Macon, GA

#14 May 14, 2013
You continue to spew your stupidity and ignorance. I don't see many others calling me out on my opinions and the things that are plain to see.

An event that strokes the egos of the new car crowd is sucky i don't cre who puts it on. You have been for so long trying to turn this into a fight amongest a few. Plain as I can put it. If you own anything made that starts with a 2 then you have no place winning a trophy at a car show. If anything bunch them all together and let them fight over the one 9 dollar trophy.

Allowing something that is just out of warrenty to compete with vehicles 40 years old is plain embarassing. But evidently not to those that continue to enter and walk away with the award.

Same way I feel about a '32 glass coupe and a '32 real steel coupe. I'll take the stell one everytime because it is over 70 years old as opposed to 70 days old. But these numb nut judges can't/won't appreciate that. And the best of to the Cuda this weekend was a flat out disgrace.

Go ahead and spin it the way you always do. But in the end I do support Muscle. Its just that you are guilty of the window sticker rides and want to sling mud.
Chill Out

Macon, GA

#15 May 16, 2013
I am not sure about the politics and the power struggle you talk about. I just attend and try to have a peaceful weekend. I am not in any club and have not been in one. I think I know who the one that is unhappy with the club and the way the muscle day is ran. I don't know who is here calling him out. So that is my involvment.

Now for my take. I agree that the new cars are not what I come to town to see. I agree that new cars competing with classics is not right. I agree that a lot of things are not right but there are a bunch of things right about it. First off just having the event to attend is a plus. Having a day or two a month that we can see old friends and trade tales and experiences with is a plus. Having someone to put the thing together and then clen up our mess is a plus.

So in the end how about both sides of this fight just take the next event to sit down and talk this over. Nothing I have read here warrents the hostile reactions I have seen. Its just a hangout once a month. If you don't care for some rides just ignore them. If you can't do that take some time and research some other events that have cutoff dates. There are plenty of them to attend. Just fill the tank up and enjoy the drive.
Chill Out

Macon, GA

#16 May 16, 2013
Political Infighting wrote:
Personal fight between a guy and the guy that is over the Muscle on Main. Quick change wants to run the M.O.M. and warm up to the city council. The guy that runs M.O.M. is the lightning rod as M.O.M. is only a made up name, a cushion that seperates the city council from the event. As long as these two people are butting heads and going after each other the event will suffer and anybody close to these two.
It is not about the cars or the recreation event for these two, they are going after each other in a political dogfight and destroying Muscle on Main, the car club that is a recreation club that is just trying to help promote the event for everybody and also destroying each other. One quit a club he was not allowed to run or politicize "dragged this fight into it". The other still has not learned that his every action is scrutinized in relation to how he runs the Muscle on Main event.
It is a shame that two people in a political dogfight can ruin a recreation event that was popular and to be enjoyed by all the car enthusiast in the area. The car show "IF" you are going to have a car show should be run by a third party. An auto related business or a charity without any connection to M.O.M. and the person over M.O.M. should stay away from it. Car shows can be controversial and that is why most city councils stay away from them unless they are a charity event.
The burnout or Drifting activity is not controversial and has never got dragged into this dogfight because it is run by a third party. A local tire company. Hillbilly days is not that controversial because all the venders actually run their portion of it and the city employee only coordinates. M.O.M. needs to be the same way. All the events need to be run by local auto related business or charities and a certain city employee needs to become invisible. At least until these two get this political dogfight finished.
I think Jesse does a good job. Turning it over to the club, a club, will just create an extension of that clubs makeup. That would not be a good idea for those of us that enjoy a broad range of choices.

Another thing I wonder about is the choices of judges. What qualifies one to be a judge. Can heor she be broad minded. Can they see things that others miss? I'm not talking about wheather they made a SS Z28 in '69. I'm talking about how a build has the same theme throught. The little details no matter if its a '61 Volkswagon or a 2000 Trans Am. With me its not how popular the make is or was. Its the detail in the build period. This past weekend I noticed some rides that mixed so many themes I couldn't keep up. Interiors with black, chrome and billet all mixed. Engines with multiple colors, chrome and billet. I know to each his own and I respect that. But this has to do with judges and what background they have. In cases like this weekend I think it would be better to just pull numbers out of a hat to determine the awards. Thats how bad I feel the picks were. Forgot to mention that I did not enter the show. Just drove in and parked.
Who Cares

Richmond, KY

#17 May 17, 2013
Chill Out wrote:
<quoted text>
I think Jesse does a good job. Turning it over to the club, a club, will just create an extension of that clubs makeup. That would not be a good idea for those of us that enjoy a broad range of choices.
Another thing I wonder about is the choices of judges. What qualifies one to be a judge. Can heor she be broad minded. Can they see things that others miss? I'm not talking about wheather they made a SS Z28 in '69. I'm talking about how a build has the same theme throught. The little details no matter if its a '61 Volkswagon or a 2000 Trans Am. With me its not how popular the make is or was. Its the detail in the build period. This past weekend I noticed some rides that mixed so many themes I couldn't keep up. Interiors with black, chrome and billet all mixed. Engines with multiple colors, chrome and billet. I know to each his own and I respect that. But this has to do with judges and what background they have. In cases like this weekend I think it would be better to just pull numbers out of a hat to determine the awards. Thats how bad I feel the picks were. Forgot to mention that I did not enter the show. Just drove in and parked.
Who said anything about the club running M.O.M.? That is a city project and run by a city employee, the car club has nothing to do with the way M.O.M. is run. They show up and support it but they don't have any decision making powers or say on how the M.O.M. is run. Two separate outfits and as far as I know the city council don't belong to that club. Paintsville is run by a car club and so is the Elkhorn City Cruise In but Pikeville is run by a city employee.
Wow

Georgetown, KY

#18 May 17, 2013
Is all I can say because everybody knows that the club and MoM are one in the same. Even people that are no longer affiliated with that club knows this to be true. Ask the club pres or vp or the ones involved with the club and they will tell you the same because I have asked. The other post was a cover up for tonight. It's one thing to talk the talk but its another to walk it.
Who Cares

Richmond, KY

#19 May 17, 2013
Wow wrote:
Is all I can say because everybody knows that the club and MoM are one in the same. Even people that are no longer affiliated with that club knows this to be true. Ask the club pres or vp or the ones involved with the club and they will tell you the same because I have asked. The other post was a cover up for tonight. It's one thing to talk the talk but its another to walk it.
Cover up for tonight???? Well I believe the car club was organized as a social club about 10 years ago. Did not know a social club could have the final say over the city council or the city employee in their hire. Not saying it is good or bad but the club can't really have that much say in how things run, some people might think they can front them as the people running M.O.M. but legally I don't think that is possible. Paintsville Cruise Night on the other hand is run by a car club no employee to go through, just direct through the city council. Not saying one is better than the other but you do not have the middle level city employee go between the club and the council at Paintsville. Support and running the M.O.M. activities are two different things. The final say on how the M.O.M. is run would have to be by the people that own it and that is not the car club.
Fix The Main Problem

Richmond, KY

#20 May 18, 2013
The club should not be involved in car shows unless it is one that they are running as a club with no collaboration with M.O.M. They never put their members cars in the car shows they run however they do enter their cars in shows run by M.O.M. As someone stated after 4 years everybody sees the car club and M.O.M. as one and the same. To prevent the controversy the car shows "if" you have a car show should be run by a third party. The car show should be run by an organization such as the Shriners. When the car club runs it the total of cars is less because they pull their cars from it. When M.O.M runs it and the club cars are in it a few individuals slam the event and trash the club and people in the club. The car show would be less controversial if a charity run it but it will be hard to get some people away from the money. Not many people run their mouth on an auto show run by a charity, especially the Shriners.
The crazy talk about the club members owning new cars or sports cars is just juvenile bulls#*t, not sure you even have to have a car to join a recreation club. Most of the cars are of the older or classic car variety. Of curse as long as the so called gold chainer's like to put their cars in fixed shows this will never happen. To me a trophy or money prize would mean more if I had won it fair and square.
Chill Out

Macon, GA

#21 May 18, 2013
I think Jesse does a great job. Its you GOB's that get pissed when you can't dictate.

Futhermore you are dead wrong about the club entering cars in an event they were over. Dead wrong. Just check out some past awards pictures and the club was running the event.

If it were left up to the GOB's and the snoots at the helm there would be no vehicles allowed in town on Saturdays that didn't have a 2 at the front of the year model.

I can live with them but I think they have deeper issues with the Traditionals, Muscle, RestoRods and Rat Rods. Enough to possibly exclude them if they seized control of MOM. Not the GOB's as a whole by the Gold Chainer Snooty portion at the control of GOB's in my opinion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 4 min Paul 167,627
Vamderbeck Shows His Stupidity Again Concerning... 2 hr Go away Bill 15
Ray Jones for Pike County Judge Executive 3 hr Rays Fool Sidekick 37
Hillary Clinton OUR next President (Jun '15) 3 hr Kyboy 5,551
George Maxwell 3 hr around town 12
Appalachian Airplane (Nov '14) 4 hr Jones Failed 204
lora cleary (Jul '10) 4 hr FunTimesKY 14
Who Is Next 10 hr Amy 50
local guys that are hung (Apr '16) Wed for you 44

Pikeville Jobs