'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Se...

'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate

There are 289233 comments on the thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com story from Oct 1, 2010, titled 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate. In it, thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com reports that:

"Fox News Sunday" is heading to Louisville, Ky. Jack Conway, Kentucky's attorney general and the Democratic candidate for Senate , and Rand Paul, the Republican nominee and son of Representative Ron Paul, Republican of Texas, have agreed to a live debate on "Fox News Sunday" on Oct.3 at 9 a.m. (Eastern time).

Join the discussion below, or Read more at thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com.

Adam 36

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#125075 Sep 26, 2013
RepubliCONS wrote:
<quoted text>
Good, the more that reports them the better chance of them tracing his ips. I also copy all the posts in the box they provide with the post #. Makes it easier for them and you only have to hit the report abuse on one post/ I am sure they love what he says about the mods. lol Loser lemming clown sock that he is.
I also emailed that remix, my lib friends loved it, my repub friends still laughed. It was embarrassing for them, Grandstanding/campaigning on gov't time. What an idiot. They are comparing the Canadian Crazed Cruz to ole Crazy Eyes Bachmann. That is PRICELESS. Dumbass teabaggers.
RIP GOP CONS
DITCH MITCH
A looney left birther. You must be so proud to be a hypocrite.
RepubliCONS

Elizabethtown, KY

#125076 Sep 26, 2013
Panera CEO learns about hunger on his food stamp diet

Editor's note: Ron Shaich is the founder and CEO of Panera Bread and president of the Panera Bread Foundation. He participated in a seven-day SNAP Challenge, living on a food and beverage budget of $4.50 a day, the average benefits available to a beneficiary of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, formerly known as the food stamp program.

(CNN)-- I thought I knew a thing or two about hunger. I've met thousands of people who struggle to feed themselves and their families, visited dozens of soup kitchens, food pantries, homeless shelters and food banks, and worked closely with nonprofit organizations in trying to find new ways to end hunger.

I really thought I understood the scope of the problem.

But let me tell you something -- I had no clue. My SNAP Challenge last week taught me that merely observing someone else's plight does not hold a candle to consciously altering your habits to better understand what it might be like to live someone else's life.

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program was formerly called the food stamp program. In the SNAP challenge, you live on a food and beverage budget of $4.50 a day, the average amount a recipient of food stamps gets in benefits.
I was hungry last week -- laser-focused on how much food was left in the fridge and how many dollars were left in my wallet. I was scared about eating portions that were too big, and wasn't sure what to do if my food ran out. I canceled two scheduled dinners, knowing they were way beyond my budget.

But I was doing this challenge on my own. Eighty percent of households that have problems putting food on the table include the most vulnerable -- children, the elderly and the disabled. Most people in the SNAP program would have considered my challenge as a "household of one" to be a luxury.

My approach to grocery shopping was to try to stay full. That meant carbohydrates. In retrospect, it was a poor choice. I ended up with a diet largely based around pasta, lentils, chickpeas and cereal. While it wasn't a ton of food, I could mix and match for various meals and find myself not quite full -- but enough to get by. Breakfast and snacks were Toasted Oats. Lunch and dinner varied between chickpea, jalapeno and tomato soup, lentil casserole and pasta with tomato sauce and garlic. Fresh fruit, vegetables and yogurt were too expensive.

CONtinued:

RIP GOP CONS

DITCH MITCH
RepubliCONS

Elizabethtown, KY

#125077 Sep 26, 2013
CONtinued:

I also gave up coffee because it didn't fit within the budget. I only drank water. My drastic change in diet made me listless and grumpy.

But the seven days of this challenge happened in a vacuum. It was really just an imitation of a very real problem facing millions of Americans -- it wasn't my real life. It was over in a week. No other pressures weighed on my shoulders the way they do on those of people who use food stamps. I wasn't worrying about my car breaking down or not being able to pay for gas or having my electricity turned off or finding work or paying an unforeseen medical bill.

All I had to worry about was my food, and that was challenging enough.

One in six people in this country, or roughly 48 million Americans, face this reality. At the same time, they confront other obstacles and manage to deal with more pressing challenges every day. The statistics are alarming. However, it wasn't until I participated in the challenge and heard stories from the hundreds of people who responded to my blog posts that I really understood what a life of food insecurity means.

One person wrote me, "It's not about a weeklong 'challenge.' It's about months. It's about deciding whether to eat or buy heart medicine or diabetic drugs.... It's about knowing that this week is followed by another and another and another. It's not about (whether or not food is) boring. It's about living."

I believed at first that by taking the challenge to eat on $4.50 a day diet, I could raise awareness about hunger. What has become clear is that those who are "food insecure" -- or even those living close to that edge -- are all too aware of their circumstances.

Helping the hungry is not a zero sum game. We can discuss policy, and undoubtedly each of us will land on one side or the other of the political debate.

Unfortunately, the debate we often hear in Washington leads to thinking that the issue can be seen in black or white, right or wrong, good or bad.

We all know there are people who abuse the system. I have no doubt that there are some people who accept SNAP benefits when they either don't need the assistance or may not use them appropriately. But SNAP is really an efficient program. There are small problems with the system -- but there always are in large, complex systems.

Tens of millions of people, most of whom are elderly or have children, rely on this safety net to help them cope with very difficult situations beyond their control. And we can all acknowledge our shared responsibility to help these fellow citizens survive and ultimately create productive lives of dignity.

Throughout my SNAP Challenge, I kept returning to the same questions: What kind of society do we want to live in? Do we want to live in a country that turns a cold shoulder to the problem of hunger, or one in which we work together to face it head on?

We, in corporate America, must be part of the solution. At Panera, we have tried to stretch ourselves to think of how to address hunger in new ways and challenge others to do the same. We have developed five nonprofit "Panera Cares" community cafes with no set prices and have donated hundreds of millions of dollars in products to food banks. Our view is that unless we at Panera take care of the world that we live in, there won't be any society left to support us.

If the past week has taught me anything, it's that hunger is not a problem of "them," it's a problem of "us." Hunger exists in every community, in every county, in every state. Simply put, this is our problem to solve, and it's time to do so.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/25/opinion/shaich-...

All of CONgress should have to try this.

Dear Congress,
True Christians would NEVER starve a child to feed a corporation

RIP GOP CONS

DITCH MITCH
RepubliCONS

Elizabethtown, KY

#125078 Sep 26, 2013
Adam 36 wrote:
<quoted text>
A looney left birther. You must be so proud to be a hypocrite.
Not a birther. But how does it feel? It won't be an issue for the Canadian Crazed Cruz, he doesn't stand a chance to be PRESIDENT. hahahaha

YOU CONS are the HYPOCRITES. Suck it up. YOU prove it every day.

RIP GOP CONS

DITCH MITCH
RepubliCONS

Elizabethtown, KY

#125079 Sep 26, 2013
Had enough C~R~A~Z~Y for awhile. I am out to enjoy the day, shop, see a friend, and I will be back later for some laughs.

I hope all my lib friends enjoy the day. YOU repuke clowns and socks, go NUTS. Stomp those icons and change all of yours, we wouldn't want the little sissy boy to cry. [email protected] clown socks and their Queen Crazed Loon.

RIP GOP CONS

DITCH THE WITCH

DITCH THE SOCKS

DITCH MITCH

Adam 36

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#125080 Sep 26, 2013
RepubliCONS wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a birther. But how does it feel? It won't be an issue for the Canadian Crazed Cruz, he doesn't stand a chance to be PRESIDENT. hahahaha
YOU CONS are the HYPOCRITES. Suck it up. YOU prove it every day.
RIP GOP CONS
DITCH MITCH
Of course you are a birther, a birther in denial.

How does it feel?

“Heaven doesn't want me.”

Since: Jul 13

Hell's afraid I'll take over.

#125081 Sep 26, 2013
RepubliCONS wrote:
<quoted text>
Good, the more that reports them the better chance of them tracing his ips. I also copy all the posts in the box they provide with the post #. Makes it easier for them and you only have to hit the report abuse on one post/ I am sure they love what he says about the mods. lol Loser lemming clown sock that he is.
I also emailed that remix, my lib friends loved it, my repub friends still laughed. It was embarrassing for them, Grandstanding/campaigning on gov't time. What an idiot. They are comparing the Canadian Crazed Cruz to ole Crazy Eyes Bachmann. That is PRICELESS. Dumbass teabaggers.
RIP GOP CONS
DITCH MITCH
Y'know, I posted several weeks ago that I'm not so sure "he" is a he. I've still got my suspicions that it's a woman. Like last night, I think the posts that got removed may have been some of Dumchit's support hose. I realize there may be more than one person, but I don't think there's more than 3 at the most. I noticed that the really vile ones had San Francisco listed as the location. It really doesn't matter anyway, whomever and however many there are, they're all nuts!

I think Ted and Michele make a lovely couple...LOL! Definitely on the same crazy wavelength. The GOP nutjobs seems to be coming out of the woodwork lately for sure.

I see where the Smithfield sale went through. They sold out America, its workers and its consumers for a lousy $34 a share. Pathetic. Better familiarize yourself with their brands so you don't get a big helping of melamine (or worse) with your sausage patty.
Tea Party Republican

Johnson City, TN

#125082 Sep 26, 2013
Crow__ wrote:
<quoted text>
Y'know, I posted several weeks ago that I'm not so sure "he" is a he. I've still got my suspicions that it's a woman. Like last night, I think the posts that got removed may have been some of Dumchit's support hose. I realize there may be more than one person, but I don't think there's more than 3 at the most. I noticed that the really vile ones had San Francisco listed as the location. It really doesn't matter anyway, whomever and however many there are, they're all nuts!
I think Ted and Michele make a lovely couple...LOL! Definitely on the same crazy wavelength. The GOP nutjobs seems to be coming out of the woodwork lately for sure.
I see where the Smithfield sale went through. They sold out America, its workers and its consumers for a lousy $34 a share. Pathetic. Better familiarize yourself with their brands so you don't get a big helping of melamine (or worse) with your sausage patty.
You and puke need a big helping of sausage, thats whats wrong with you!

#125083 Sep 26, 2013
RepubliCONS wrote:
Had enough C~R~A~Z~Y for awhile. I am out to enjoy the day, shop, see a friend, and I will be back later for some laughs.
I hope all my lib friends enjoy the day. YOU repuke clowns and socks, go NUTS. Stomp those icons and change all of yours, we wouldn't want the little sissy boy to cry. [email protected] clown socks and their Queen Crazed Loon.
RIP GOP CONS
DITCH THE WITCH
DITCH THE SOCKS
DITCH MITCH
Same here, RC Co-Cola. Well, not the shopping and seeing a friend, but getting back to work...lol. Have a great day and if I don't see you tonight I'll see you tomorrow.

And...did we just witness the birth of a new sock? Sheesh, they're not even cute when they're little, are they?:P

#125084 Sep 26, 2013
Tea Party Republican wrote:
<quoted text>
You and puke need a big helping of sausage, thats whats wrong with you!
And all you have is a little bitty cocktail weenie. Is that why you're so scared and angry? How does it feel?
whatever

Louisville, KY

#125085 Sep 26, 2013
we know

“Hillary, thirty years of lying”

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#125086 Sep 26, 2013
RepubliCONS wrote:
Rain chasing me indoors so let's see what the CONS are up too..not much. haha

Except the Canadian Crazed Cruz:

Republican Senator Calls Out Ted Cruz and Tea Party for Not Being In Tune with the “Real World”

It’s not often you see Republicans calling each other out (though it’s happening more and more as the internal “civil war” within the Republican party continues to grow), but that’s exactly what happened when word leaked out that some Republicans were trying to recruit “red state Democrats” to their fight to defund the Affordable Care Act (aka “Obamacare”).

Texas Senator Ted Cruz and his fellow tea party radicals are now trying to recruit Democratic senators in “red states” to help them pass the bill the House sent to the Senate, which would fund the government while defunding Obamacare.

One such Democrat they targeted was Louisiana’s Mary Landrieu. Apparently, Cruz has taken to veiled threats against Democrats in predominately red states by insinuating that their jobs might be at risk if they continue to support Obamacare. He seems to be using this as a tactic to try to leverage some Democratic support for his push to defund the law.

A push which even if the Senate passed it, President Obama has vowed to veto the bill. And don’t start with the whole,“Congress can override a veto” thing—it’s not happening. It takes 2/3 of both the House and Senate to override a veto and you’re not going to get that.

It’s a futile effort by Cruz and the tea party to continue to threaten the lives of Americans by pushing for a government shutdown if their attempts at blackmail fail. And it has prompted a few Republicans in Congress to call out this radical behavior.

One such senator who’s had enough of it is Tom Coburn from Oklahoma. You might remember him as the gentleman who initially said that budget cuts needed to be made to offset spending before he would support disaster relief for the Moore, Oklahoma tornado victims. I only bring this up to show that he isn’t exactly what one would call a “moderate” Republican.

Well, he took a jab at these members of Congress who continue to push to defund Obamacare by threatening a government shutdown:

”And the political reality, you know, tactics and strategies ought to be based on what the real world is, and we do not have the political power to do this. And so we’re not–we are not about to shut the government down over the fact that we cannot, only controlling one House of Congress, tell the president that we’re not going to fund any portion of this, because we can’t do that.”

And while he could have phrased things a little more eloquently, the fact is that he’s right. Under no circumstance does this “defund Obamacare” strategy make any sense. The whole strategy isn’t based on reality.

So while Cruz and those Republicans who support this asinine idea will continue to campaign across the country to gain support, continually repeating the talking point of,“It’s what the American people want,” simply remind them that if that was the case—Mitt Romney would be president right now.

The American people did speak last November. They
re-elected President Obama and gave more power to Democrats in both the House and the Senate.
A political and real world reality that Ted Cruz and many Republicans seem in complete and utter denial about.

http://www.forwardprogressives.com/republican...

lQQks like teabaggers and republiCONS are bailing on him left and right. hahaha Blowhard GRANDstand campaigning for 2016. haha He won't get elected and he WON'T stop Obamacare. Typical CON

RIP TEABAGGING GOP CONS

DITCH MITCH
Yawn, Cruz ask your big brave liberal senators to debate him. They ran and hid.

“Hillary, thirty years of lying”

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#125087 Sep 26, 2013
did u know wrote:
People in the south, especially those that believe Republicans share their Christian values, are being dooped!!
Did you see the article about George H.W. Bush being a witness at a same sex marriage??

Seems these Republicans are no different than Democrats. The only difference is Republicans will lie about their true beliefs just to get elected!

Check it out.....

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/09/...
Your point to this brainless attack. Your handlers need to guarantee you are house broke before letting you spam and lie.

Since: Dec 11

#125088 Sep 26, 2013
RepubliCONS wrote:
Well lQQkie here at all the sweeping done last night. So appreciate the MODS removing aribobbysocks vern/imposter posts before my last post (so I know what those are...from the loser king sock) probably a bunch of the crazy loon's too like I stated. So the crybaby will be back today hunting and fishing no doubt. I see where he used Crow's and the Nasty posters name to spread his filth. Surprised they didn't catch that too. So I will say good job sweeping. hahaha
all your vern/IMPOSTER
PRICELESS
RIP GOP CONS
DITCH MITCH
Not one of my posts were removed.
You have become quite paranoid.
American Lady

Danville, KY

#125089 Sep 26, 2013
LIVE on C-SPAN2: Senate Session
http://www.c-span.org/Live-Video/C-SPAN2/

Comments
http://www.c-span.org/Events/Senate-Debates-C...

Michael A Bisson
@Bisson1
Now Durbin is threatening Vets!!!, makes me sick #cspanchat
a moment ago
American Lady

Danville, KY

#125090 Sep 26, 2013
christina schuening
@gpst2898
@DickDurbin you are a fear mongering Dem. that has nothing better to do then blame everyone else for the problems you put us in.#cspanchat
a moment ago

Doug Smith
@dougCJAG
How can you condemn two senators for following the rules when dingy is not allowing amendments. Drop your amendment and vote.#cspanchat
a moment ago

Matt Moore
@firefireheat
#cspanchat Dick Durbin, as a member of the Armed Forces I think defunding the ACA is far more important than my pay check being a week late!
American Lady

Danville, KY

#125091 Sep 26, 2013
THIS is the reason the dems are trying to delay things. IMO
``````````

Tax-raising Affordable Care Act started in wrong house of Congress

Sissel v. United States Department of Health & Human Services

https://www.pacificlegal.org/cases/Tax-raisin...
Tea Party Republican

Johnson City, TN

#125092 Sep 26, 2013
Aristocles son of Ariston wrote:
<quoted text>
Not one of my posts were removed.
You have become quite paranoid.
The fool is still stuck on that 'arisocks' mental meltdown she's on! I can't quite determine if you or I, are the guilty party's, in their investigation? I like to call it; 'dumb case files'!
American Lady

Danville, KY

#125093 Sep 26, 2013
CRUZ BRUSHES OFF SCATHING ATTACK BY CONGRESSMAN
Senator insists it's about Obamacare, not personalities

WASHINGTON Washington may be getting the message, even if Republican leaders opposed to Sen. Ted Cruzs strategy to defund Obamacare are leaving their phones off the hook.

Any senator who expresses annoyance or frustration at hearing from his or her constituents, and receiving phone calls or emails or tweets from his or her constituents, it seems to me, mayve lost sight of the people for whom we are working, Cruz told WND on Thursday morning, 24 hours after his historic 21-hour speech supporting the defunding of Obamacare.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2013/09/cruz-brushes-off-s...
American Lady

Danville, KY

#125094 Sep 26, 2013
ALL *CRUCIAL* SERVICES WILL CONTINUE ...
If the government shuts down.

I lived 'it'...
IN Washington D.C....

During the Clinton 'shut down' in 95, 96!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 47 min Chalupa Batgirl 167,859
Ian newman (Nov '09) 2 hr Ian 27
Hillary Clinton OUR next President (Jun '15) 3 hr A Hillary Depor... 5,567
Allstate safe driving Check??? (Dec '10) 4 hr Cib 104
Ray Jones for Pike County Judge Executive 5 hr Stripper Ad Central 45
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... (Jul '14) 10 hr Uncle Tom 37,672
adipex (Aug '10) 11 hr Curious 21
Who Is Next 14 hr big daddy here 59

Pikeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pikeville Mortgages