Appalachian Air Service
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Lindsey

Jackson, KY

#104 Feb 28, 2014
Why cant we buy tickets yet? Several progams on pike 99 with Donavon and Barry indicated a Feburary 24 datevto purchase. I have made many calls but no one can answer why. When calling the airport someone told me to contact Bill Hickman and he mightbbe able to help me.

Does anyone know how to contact this Hickman person?
Tell the Truth

Pikeville, KY

#105 Feb 28, 2014
So many broken promises. So many deadlines not met. So much money spent on this Luke Schmidt man. Taxpayer dollars are much easier spent than personal money. And that is why the politicians just keep writing him checks for substandard results.

So much of the information put forth in these news reports have been proven to not be correct and we still cant purchase tickets as promised. Only politicians would allow such work by this man. But again it is tax dollars paying him and we all know how good these current politicians spend money.

What about tickets? Luke, Barry and Donavon are so quick to get in front of the camera to bloviate but they are no where to be found when answers are needed on these matters.

http://www.wsaz.com/home/headlines/Delay-in-S...
Pilot

Charleston, WV

#107 Mar 1, 2014
If I had unlimited expenses covered by the "little taxpayer" and was given $275.00 an hour for doing as little as I could, and my limited expertise allowed, I would NOT want that lucrative job to be finished.

Just keep me in the finest motels, pay me a royal sum of money, buy all my meals, pay for flowers I buy for "persons"., and be damn sure you don't let my Starbuck's card run out of funds.

Even if I were more intelligent and could make things happen, I would still want this job to linger on, and on, and on, and on,....well.....Who wouldn't?
Disappointed

Pikeville, KY

#108 Mar 3, 2014
Another day and no ticket sales and no website.

Contrary to what Jeff Vanderjones says this is unacceptable. But heck it's just taxpayer money. A
Question

Pikeville, KY

#109 Mar 3, 2014
If Charleston WV with all their emergency equipment has cancellations how does Donavon expect Appalachian Air to fly daily flights with these conditions?

Do the taxpayers know that this service will be paid as if every seat was occupied by tax dollars for both flight segments daily if the weather keeps it grounded?

Yes if today's weather kept AA from flying your hard earned tax dollars will pay for 19 seats to Nashville and 19 seats back even though the plane never left Pikeville.

We can all thank the city commission, the mayor, the chamber of commerce and the Pikeville airport board for this wasteful action. Less we forget senator jones, Steve bashear and Hal Rogers. The same ones that supported the air service in London that failed
Ice Man

Harold, KY

#110 Mar 3, 2014
Get those planes flying. I want to make like a duck and go south.
Single Parent

Jackson, KY

#111 Mar 4, 2014
Just as usual our elected leaders use smoke and mirrors to try and sell the public on their pipe dreams.

I have read the initial grant request and it indicated that the destination was Cleveland Ohio. In addition there was a letter of support from the PMC. Naturally that would be great for the hospital as it had, or has, interests in the Cleveland Clinic. So the fat cats would be accommodated by tax dollars.

Now the destination is Knoxville and I suppose Vanderbilt University might be of interest to PMC also. And if this wasn't being subsidized with tax dollars I would have no problem. And also adding to the speculation is that a doctor was added to the airport board possibly around the time this whole deal was being put together.

With all these questions surrounding the service I personally feel we the taxpayer has been used and mislead. What's your feelings?
Pilot

Charleston, WV

#114 Mar 5, 2014
Single Parent wrote:
Just as usual our elected leaders use smoke and mirrors to try and sell the public on their pipe dreams.
I have read the initial grant request and it indicated that the destination was Cleveland Ohio. In addition there was a letter of support from the PMC. Naturally that would be great for the hospital as it had, or has, interests in the Cleveland Clinic. So the fat cats would be accommodated by tax dollars.
Now the destination is Knoxville and I suppose Vanderbilt University might be of interest to PMC also. And if this wasn't being subsidized with tax dollars I would have no problem. And also adding to the speculation is that a doctor was added to the airport board possibly around the time this whole deal was being put together.
With all these questions surrounding the service I personally feel we the taxpayer has been used and mislead. What's your feelings?
Right on. Just consider though:

Could the change of destination coincided with the demise of PMC's Cleveland Clinic affiliation? PMC is now affiliated with The Mayo Clinic, placing Nashville and Vanderbilt U. as the most attractive destination for PMC.

Placing a PMC doctor on the airport has shown to have been less than what was intended simply because the doc is as unqualified as the rest of Little Frankie's picks. I have attended meetings and witnessed what is going on. The doc wants to do whatever it takes to get air service for PMC. It's obvious. He is fully in favor of spending every dime of the people's money to achieve that end.

I have no problem with a Nashville destination that helps PMC. That hospital is all we have in Eastern Kentucky and I want to support the facility as much as is reasonable.

It's been said multiple times that PMC techs and docs travel very, very often to Vanderbilt for training and education concerning new procedures and medical advances in all areas. I definitely approve wholeheartedly and think most all the population would.

I don't see why it all has to be such a secret that PMC is meant to be the #1 user of AA.

I think the hospital, politicians and business people would be much better served had the local hacks just been open and honest all along. Instead it has been made to appear, by local politicians and their puppets, yet another back door scheme to defraud the taxpayer.

Have our politicians become so entrenched in dishonesty that they lie to us when the truth is a much better answer?
Todays ANE Report

Pikeville, KY

#115 Mar 5, 2014
Seems Vanderjones is all for calling out the Fiscal Court for wasting money but when it comes to the airport he lets them slide on wasteful spending.
Yes Commercial Service is worthwhile. But why suck money from the airport when the city has a boat load of grant money?????
Isn't protecting our money at the airport as important as protecting coal severance money?
Where do you think the airport will turn when their funds are depleted?
You failed the public Vanderjones when you ignored the million dollars spent on a row of hangers and the other two larger ones cost is less than 60K out of our airport fund.
But I suppose you don't want to expose one of your big color ad customers as being one of the first occupants of that MILLION DOLLAR row of hangars. Not to mention the chairman being another. And why we are on the subject why not inquire if there are any airport board members doing business with the city. Now that might just be a conflict when casting votes that concern the city..........Merions Branch and Commercial Airservice in particular come to mind.
Allen Justice

Pikeville, KY

#116 Mar 6, 2014
Didn't Chairman Hickman remove himself from issues involving the King man? I was told that the Vice President of the King company is an attorney in the Jones Law Office with Hickman in addition to being the son of Mr King.

Now there is talk about members of the airport board having business dealings with the city. If so isn't that wrong? Isn't that a conflict of interest?

Why doesn't someone do something about this? Where is the oversight. If this is true I wonder why the politicians don't correct this matter. Have we as a society so weak as to allow this stuff to be done in plain sight?
grounded

Whitesburg, KY

#117 May 21, 2014
It's now May 2014 with no flights and no word on the future of Appalachian Air.
Cat Has Chair Tongue

Maryville, TN

#118 May 26, 2014
If we the working man is footing the bill for this lead zeppelin then why don't we know what the heck is going on?

I'm tired of playing the guessing game.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Another KY clerk vows to not issue same sex mar... 1 hr !!! 3
PCBoE hired people under hire freeze! 4 hr LOL 2
Ray S Jones tantrum (Jun '12) 4 hr Who Said 57
Hillary Clinton OUR next President 5 hr One Eyed Willy 821
Air service MILLIONS 5 hr Oops Coal Run Law 9
Fuzzy's Grandson May run for Sheriff in 2018 5 hr Hope So 19
Our State Rep Les 5 hr Sell Out 12
Judge Combs Redux 5 hr Love Shack Rodney 103
Vote Ray Out 5 hr Yes Sir 223
Barry Chaney said 5 hr Where Is Plane 32