Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Judged:

I wish we could have done it 10 years ago but as it happens it may be just in time.
As we face this assault on coal and can see the end of the Coal Business in Eastern Ky. this will be a big help with the transition to a non coal economy or an expanded economy that thrives on both coal and non coal jobs.
CEO's, corporate and business people will finally have a way in to the area with a 3-4 hour drive. I applaud the Pikeville City Commission for their hard work brining the air service to a reality, "finally".
It seems the city is more forward thinking, innovative and constantly thinking on how to bring tourism and non coal jobs into Pike County. H&M Festival, the H&M tours and events, the River Project, Muscle on Main, Main Street Live Program and I have left off several more initiatives that the city has brought to Fruition. Always thinking and trying to better the local economy.
They actually complete complicated projects they start and are always looking for the next big project to help the local economy.
If only the Fiscal Court could be half as effective, maybe we could get the city commission to trade jobs with the Fiscal Court and then we can get some tourism and job creation out in the county.
Doing it Right

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

That should be without a 3-4 hour drive!
No Prop Job For Me

Stanton, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Judged:

I too wish this would have been done 10 years ago. By now the soreness from the screwing we the tax payer took would be gone.

In my opinion this is but another case of elitist politicians telling us the tax payer they know what is best for us.

Please tell me how many of these politicians have been successful in private business???? I rest my case. Anyone can spend others tax dollars without fear of failure. So many with out reached palms will re-elect this bunch or so scraps.

Yes todays gathering was more campaigning and political buddy praising than community service in my opinion. Sad that we the tax payer always have to suffer when these projects fail. I wonder if all the speeches we heard today were leftover from the big shindig put on at Somerset when they took a bite of the Air Service apple? And we all know how that ended.

Please note that this post in its entirety is but my opinion.
To the Victor

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Judged:

No Prop Job For Me wrote:
I too wish this would have been done 10 years ago. By now the soreness from the screwing we the tax payer took would be gone.
In my opinion this is but another case of elitist politicians telling us the tax payer they know what is best for us.
Please tell me how many of these politicians have been successful in private business???? I rest my case. Anyone can spend others tax dollars without fear of failure. So many with out reached palms will re-elect this bunch or so scraps.
Yes todays gathering was more campaigning and political buddy praising than community service in my opinion. Sad that we the tax payer always have to suffer when these projects fail. I wonder if all the speeches we heard today were leftover from the big shindig put on at Somerset when they took a bite of the Air Service apple? And we all know how that ended.
I believe the city manager come from the business sector, Lowes Store manager, District manager, Region manager, and the Mayor if memory serves may have owned a business or two. I got a feeling this is more about personalities and politics than people that are competent. I could name a few of the professional politicians on the fiscal court side that are just that "professional politicians", no experience or insight into the business world. It will remain to be see if the air service will be worth the tax dollars, you know that other funding sources were obtained for that venture. At least they are trying and I believe it will be successful, no advantage for any of it fails.
I believe a few people on other threads have been negative about the Air Service from it's inception, obvious that they are part of the Fiscal Court naysayers and obstructionist. The Air Service is too important to play politics with, too important to Pike County. An area as large as Eastern Ky. and Pike County should have an Air Service. The city pulled it off, I'm sure there are some sour grapes on the Fiscal Court side as part of this rift that has developed with this current administration.
That is why we need to make sure we get a Fiscal Court in this time that can work with the city and end this silly feud. The economic transition and recovery for Pike County is just too important and of immediate need to continue on with this juvenile old school political feud.
The city pulled it off even though they were fought on it all the way instead of supported or it having been done as a collaborative effort.
The city finally got us an Air Service and every Pike County Citizen should be proud of it. End of Story!
oprahs poor cousin

Elkhorn City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Judged:

No Prop Job For Me wrote:
did you see the pic of all of them at the ribbon cutting/dedication??
rich, well dressed business eliteists.
maybe if they had jumbo jets, more of us poor laid off coalmining families could afford to load up and get the f out of here!!!
Sharp Dressed Man

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Judged:

I'm kind of glad they showed up for a media event with their Sunday best on. I notice our Judge Exec likes his silk shirts and wears a suit about every day, I have no problem with that. Dress to impress and dress to fit the job or situation. Of course Ole Bill wore his work uniform clothes a lot. Then again he had a fiscal court budget that looked like a working man may have had his hands on it. Smaller, more efficient government and if memory serves never got into some big squabble with the city.

I don't think the clothes make the man but am glad our city council does not show up to media events looking like hicks, or our judge exec either for than matter. I don't know how the dress code has anything to do with the City getting us an Air Service. I don't care if they looked like the bunch from Duck Dynasty during the week but I am kind of glad they dresses appropriate for the TV Media event.
We are trying to dispel the notion we are all just a bunch of hicks. Trying to attract business in here, not shoot another scene for Beverly Hillbilly's.
Young

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Judged:

To the Victor wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the city manager come from the business sector, Lowes Store manager, District manager, Region manager, and the Mayor if memory serves may have owned a business or two. I got a feeling this is more about personalities and politics than people that are competent. I could name a few of the professional politicians on the fiscal court side that are just that "professional politicians", no experience or insight into the business world. It will remain to be see if the air service will be worth the tax dollars, you know that other funding sources were obtained for that venture. At least they are trying and I believe it will be successful, no advantage for any of it fails.
I believe a few people on other threads have been negative about the Air Service from it's inception, obvious that they are part of the Fiscal Court naysayers and obstructionist. The Air Service is too important to play politics with, too important to Pike County. An area as large as Eastern Ky. and Pike County should have an Air Service. The city pulled it off, I'm sure there are some sour grapes on the Fiscal Court side as part of this rift that has developed with this current administration.
That is why we need to make sure we get a Fiscal Court in this time that can work with the city and end this silly feud. The economic transition and recovery for Pike County is just too important and of immediate need to continue on with this juvenile old school political feud.
The city pulled it off even though they were fought on it all the way instead of supported or it having been done as a collaborative effort.
The city finally got us an Air Service and every Pike County Citizen should be proud of it. End of Story!
Why didn't it go to Phelps.
oprahs poor cousin

Elkhorn City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Judged:

Sharp Dressed Man wrote:
I'm kind of glad they showed up for a media event with their Sunday best on. I notice our Judge Exec likes his silk shirts and wears a suit about every day, I have no problem with that. Dress to impress and dress to fit the job or situation. Of course Ole Bill wore his work uniform clothes a lot. Then again he had a fiscal court budget that looked like a working man may have had his hands on it. Smaller, more efficient government and if memory serves never got into some big squabble with the city.
I don't think the clothes make the man but am glad our city council does not show up to media events looking like hicks, or our judge exec either for than matter. I don't know how the dress code has anything to do with the City getting us an Air Service. I don't care if they looked like the bunch from Duck Dynasty during the week but I am kind of glad they dresses appropriate for the TV Media event.
We are trying to dispel the notion we are all just a bunch of hicks. Trying to attract business in here, not shoot another scene for Beverly Hillbilly's.
That wasnt my point. Of course I expect them to be dressed nicely. They are the only ones this matters to.
Sure there are a few out here in the county, who might use this to fly to some vacation.
But mostly the blue collar, everyday working person in Pike Co, is more concerned with having the money to pay their power bill, seeing as how so many of us have been laid off or jobs just gone.
The last thing on my mind, being currently unemployed, is am I going to be able to pay my bills, buy for my son for the holiday, buy groceries, find another job???
I think if they are honest, more Pike Countians would say they feel the same.
Most arent even following this because the concern they have about this is so far off the radar they just dont care.
Who cares?
Those well dressed folks in the pics, thats all.
Try Somethng

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Judged:

oprahs poor cousin wrote:
<quoted text>That wasnt my point. Of course I expect them to be dressed nicely. They are the only ones this matters to.
Sure there are a few out here in the county, who might use this to fly to some vacation.
But mostly the blue collar, everyday working person in Pike Co, is more concerned with having the money to pay their power bill, seeing as how so many of us have been laid off or jobs just gone.
The last thing on my mind, being currently unemployed, is am I going to be able to pay my bills, buy for my son for the holiday, buy groceries, find another job???
I think if they are honest, more Pike Countians would say they feel the same.
Most arent even following this because the concern they have about this is so far off the radar they just dont care.
Who cares?
Those well dressed folks in the pics, thats all.
I understand where you are coming from, my only hope is that they get this economy turned around and they get some jobs in here. People are getting laid off and are hurting, more will get laid off as we lose the coal industry. I am not worried about the power elite and the rich fling off to their luxury vacations. Just want a way for business people to fly in here and establish some business to hire some of our laid off miners. Maybe for people to fly in here for vacations if we ever get our tourism industry built. People flying in and using the hotels, eating in the restaurants and spending money on Pike County tourist attractions. We need about 10 plants as large as the cookie factory now! We need every type of business we can get in here. There will even be some money spent I Pike County by the Air Service.
At least they are trying! You will never get rich counting another mans money and these people stood up and tried to do something instead of just piss and moan and blame everybody for their problems. If they are not successful they will be voted out, they know that. They staked their professional reputation on all their ventures. I say people see that they are honestly trying to do something and will support their efforts.
Geography

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Young wrote:
<quoted text>Why didn't it go to Phelps.
I believe there are old strip jobs over there that would have given us a larger airport. I know the old AEP Strip Job between Powells Creek and Elkhorn would have made a larger airport with room for expansion.
However all the hotels and accommodations are at Pikeville, Civic Center, the county seat where most business people congregate and most of the professional people live close to.

A 1 1/2 hour flight from Tennessee and then a 1 hour drive from Phelps to Pikeville. Even for business out in the county all the home banks, lawyers and clerks offices and court house is in Pikeville. You may be building a plant at Phelps but you will do the contractual and legal work on it at Pikeville. Luck of the draw, Pikeville just got to be the county seat instead of Phelps. Which is inconveniently one hour away from everywhere!
oprahs poor cousin

Elkhorn City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Judged:

Try Somethng wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand where you are coming from, my only hope is that they get this economy turned around and they get some jobs in here. People are getting laid off and are hurting, more will get laid off as we lose the coal industry. I am not worried about the power elite and the rich fling off to their luxury vacations. Just want a way for business people to fly in here and establish some business to hire some of our laid off miners. Maybe for people to fly in here for vacations if we ever get our tourism industry built. People flying in and using the hotels, eating in the restaurants and spending money on Pike County tourist attractions. We need about 10 plants as large as the cookie factory now! We need every type of business we can get in here. There will even be some money spent I Pike County by the Air Service.
At least they are trying! You will never get rich counting another mans money and these people stood up and tried to do something instead of just piss and moan and blame everybody for their problems. If they are not successful they will be voted out, they know that. They staked their professional reputation on all their ventures. I say people see that they are honestly trying to do something and will support their efforts.
I still say there is more to this than meets the eye.
I do believe more people are going to fly in than out.
And I do hope some of them are business people, but Pikeville has nothing to draw tourists.
There is only so much excitement around looking at some graves of the Hatfields and McCoys until that grows old.
Then what do they do?
Tigger

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

Judged:

Maybe now oboma clause will fly over us poor folks dropping bags of free cell phones, And unlimited eagle cards.Merry Kwanzaa.
Special ED

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

Judged:

Da Prop Plane wrote:
<quoted text>The Mayor failed at Business and the City Manger is a High School Graduate.
End of Story.
I bet the city manager is proud of his High School diploma! You may still have time to get your GED..
Tigger

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

Judged:

You might get a big black Dick. Dumass.
Opinion

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

Judged:

Geography wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe there are old strip jobs over there that would have given us a larger airport. I know the old AEP Strip Job between Powells Creek and Elkhorn would have made a larger airport with room for expansion.
However all the hotels and accommodations are at Pikeville, Civic Center, the county seat where most business people congregate and most of the professional people live close to.
A 1 1/2 hour flight from Tennessee and then a 1 hour drive from Phelps to Pikeville. Even for business out in the county all the home banks, lawyers and clerks offices and court house is in Pikeville. You may be building a plant at Phelps but you will do the contractual and legal work on it at Pikeville. Luck of the draw, Pikeville just got to be the county seat instead of Phelps. Which is inconveniently one hour away from everywhere!
I understand that but W.Keith should have the say!
Lisa Maneli

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

Judged:

Fox News Is A Joke wrote:
<quoted text>He majored in Art.
You were best at Chorus.
Go listen to your Elton John records and show tunes, and yea some wear a robe and some like to wear dresses. Don't get as confused over the choir robes as you are about your gender!
Really

Martin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

Judged:

Working at Lowes is not what I call successful business ownership. And as far as owning a restaurant and a other businesses I suggest if one has inherited money or hit the lottery it is difficult to determine how much success plays a part.

I grow tired of politicians pressing the flesh and praising each other in thinly veiled campaign speeches all the while blowing our tax dollars on a PROPELLER plane.

It is my opinion that out of work Joe Coalminer will not benefit from this Pie in the Sky. Heck I don't think Employeed Joe Coalminer can afford this service. Thus I beg to ask you just who will benefit from this tax funded deal?
Really

Martin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

Judged:

To the Victor wrote:
<quoted text>
Your name explains it all. You people talk so much about working together then follow right up with trashing everyone that doesn't agree with your plans. So much speak of naysayers and obstructionists.

Myself I only have alliances with one side. That is the correct and honorable side. So please quit looking down your noses at anyone that dares to disagree with your position and accept that wealth and titles before your name do not assure one of brilliance.
Spin it

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

Judged:

Really wrote:
Working at Lowes is not what I call successful business ownership. And as far as owning a restaurant and a other businesses I suggest if one has inherited money or hit the lottery it is difficult to determine how much success plays a part.
I grow tired of politicians pressing the flesh and praising each other in thinly veiled campaign speeches all the while blowing our tax dollars on a PROPELLER plane.
It is my opinion that out of work Joe Coalminer will not benefit from this Pie in the Sky. Heck I don't think Employeed Joe Coalminer can afford this service. Thus I beg to ask you just who will benefit from this tax funded deal?
A district or regional manager is more like working for Lowes not at Lowes, management and probably over several stores or the district managers in several districts. I believe he was successful in the private sector and city manager is not an elected position if memory serves. Not a politician as such or within the normal definition of the term.

No matter because you have been trashing the air service on several threads. It is that the politicians you serve are OK, probably the Fiscal Court do nothings. These men are do'ers not dreamers, actually finish a project. Not just dreaming up tax wasting projects that never get completed. Would like to have had the wasted Coal Mountain and ATV Trail money to put toward the Airport.

Some politicians are tax and spend dreamers, some are doer's actually know how to bring a project home. Trash on, everybody knows where this is coming from and what it is all about.
lolwhat

Martin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2013

Judged:

Geography wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you seriously comparing Pikeville to Phelps? With serious inquiries of wondering why Phelps isn't the county seat?

...I am speechless.

Good troll, you are.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of92
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

104 Users are viewing the Pikeville Forum right now

Search the Pikeville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
irs scandal (Jun '13) 1 min The Americancer 755
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 7 min Mike Duquette 128,479
alltech 14 min whodiewho 3
World War 3 16 min The Americancer 7
Alleged rapist, Brad Kanes, caught (Jan '14) 23 min The Americancer 41
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 27 min uninformed idiot 44
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 40 min DITCH MITCH 145,973
Bar Fight at Bank 253 3 hr BMW 26
•••
•••
•••
Pikeville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Pikeville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••