First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Laughing

Virgie, KY

#21 Feb 24, 2012
Martha wrote:
With the price of gas going up every day, I think we should have a ration on gas,
Let the kids ride the bus, we have to stop the waste of fuel and a good place to start is keeping the people off the road that does not have a good reason to be driving,
Many of these teens are driving gas hogs because they are paying for it with their parents credit card.
If you look in the parking lot of any high school you will see at least a hundred cars that do not need to be there.
Disagree with this one. Do you remember the gas ration of the 70's? People did not have enough gas to get to work. It doesn't matter how these kids are paying for their gas. If they can afford it what is the problem. However, for safety reasons, it is not a bad idea for children to be made to ride the school bus.
awake

Harold, KY

#22 Feb 24, 2012
Laughing wrote:
<quoted text>Driving is not a "right" Driving is something you earn the right to do. My personal opinion is children should not be issued a drivers license until the age of 18. So many young people are killed every year because of the lack of immaturity. You can bet that if I see a child driving wrecklessly I am going to contact his/her parents or call the police. I would rather see them in trouble,than see them dead. I have a child that will soon be of age to drive; I would love to have a way to turn off cell phones when the car is put in drive or reverse. Adults are guilty of the same thing. They can't drive one mile down the road without using their cell phone!
The Right of the Citizen to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon, either by horse drawn carriage or by automobile, is not a mere privilege which a city can prohibit or permit at will, but a common Right which he has under the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." [emphasis added] Thompson vs. Smith, 154 SE 579.

So we can see that a Citizen has a Right to travel upon the public highways by automobile and the Citizen cannot be rightfully deprived of his Liberty. So where does the misconception that the use of the public road is always and only a privilege come from?

"...For while a Citizen has the Right to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon, that Right does not extend to the use of the highways, either in whole or in part, as a place for private gain. For the latter purpose no person has a vested right to use the highways of the state, but is a privilege or a license which the legislature may grant or withhold at its discretion." State vs. Johnson, 243 P. 1073; Hadfield, supra; Cummins vs. Homes, 155 P. 171; Packard vs. Banton, 44 S.Ct. 256; and other cases too numerous to mention.
Here the court held that a Citizen has the Right to travel upon the public highways, but that he did not have the right to conduct business upon the highways. On this point of law all authorities are unanimous.
So as you can see you have a right to travel as I have shown above with the court cases to back it up.
Travelling upon and transporting one's property upon the public roads, which is our Right; and...

Using the public roads as a place of business or a main instrumentality of business, which is a privilege.

so unless these children are operating in commerce on the highways then yes they do have a right to travel the highways. like I said read and learn or you will forever remain ignorant
awake

Harold, KY

#23 Feb 24, 2012
(Laughing)as you can see I provided proof of my statements, what have you done besides make uneducated statements about things you know nothing about with not one shred of evidence to back up what you say.
awake

Harold, KY

#24 Feb 24, 2012
here are a few more cases involving one's right to travel.Kent v. Dulles 357 U.S. 116,
Thompson v. Smith 154 SE 579,
Hertado v. California 110 U.S. 516,
and Miller v U.S., 230 F 2d 486, 489

Do you still think use of the highway is a privilege you have to earn the right to?
excellent stuff

Phelps, KY

#25 Feb 24, 2012
if they make good grades and earn it and if they drive responsible.

it's stupid to allow and reward the kids not trying to make good grades or even worse the ones that skip school and stay in constant trouble by giving them the means and ability to skip school with their friends in a car. they also have to drive responsible, maybe pass a test.

I used to skip school with my friends that drove to school so I know how it goes.

also it shouldn't be allowed to drive other kids in the car. only the driver should be allowed in the car. I went to school with a girl that got killed driving with a friend after school and they were doing something dangerous like having someone in the passanger side hold the wheel instead of the driver holding it if what I've been told is correct. it was sad, alot of her friends were crushed when they found out she died.
2 cold in here

Elkhorn City, KY

#26 Feb 24, 2012
ride the bus save gas ,have some common sense .these dieways take a lot of young people lives .
Pikegal

Pikeville, KY

#27 Feb 24, 2012
Ride the bus save gas ,have some common sense .these dieways take a lot of young people lives .
Nicely put! Nuff said!
Laughing

Virgie, KY

#28 Feb 24, 2012
excellent stuff wrote:
if they make good grades and earn it and if they drive responsible.
it's stupid to allow and reward the kids not trying to make good grades or even worse the ones that skip school and stay in constant trouble by giving them the means and ability to skip school with their friends in a car. they also have to drive responsible, maybe pass a test.
I used to skip school with my friends that drove to school so I know how it goes.
also it shouldn't be allowed to drive other kids in the car. only the driver should be allowed in the car. I went to school with a girl that got killed driving with a friend after school and they were doing something dangerous like having someone in the passanger side hold the wheel instead of the driver holding it if what I've been told is correct. it was sad, alot of her friends were crushed when they found out she died.
I don't care what kind of grades you make in school. That does not make you a good driver. Kids, my nature are going to take their eyes off the road, talk on the cell etc. Is is extemely hard to skip school. The attendence is checked in every class. Teenagers are simply not mature enough to drive anything other than a golf cart or bicycle. However, I also see the benefits of driving. Especially for parents who both work. There is no transportation provided for after school activities. Now, if the schools want to foot the bill and provide transportation for those kids that would be great! I always dread to see Spring roll around because there is always a major accident that involves a high school student. They are happy, feeling good, loving the weather and not paying attention to what they are doing.
Laughing

Virgie, KY

#29 Feb 24, 2012
awake wrote:
(Laughing)as you can see I provided proof of my statements, what have you done besides make uneducated statements about things you know nothing about with not one shred of evidence to back up what you say.
Let me ask you again. Did you live through the gas shortage and rationing in the 70's. Obviously, you did not. People could not even get the hospital when they needed to go. Unless you know the facts about the era, please quit trying to pretend that you do.
awake

Harold, KY

#30 Feb 24, 2012
Laughing wrote:
<quoted text>Let me ask you again. Did you live through the gas shortage and rationing in the 70's. Obviously, you did not. People could not even get the hospital when they needed to go. Unless you know the facts about the era, please quit trying to pretend that you do.
LOL re-read my post I'm not talking about gas prices or the 70's once again you go rambling on about nothing. I was posting about freedom and Rights good day to you Simpleton some people just can't be helped.
awake

Harold, KY

#31 Feb 25, 2012
Jefferson

Monroe, NC

#32 Jun 4, 2013
Yeah, because school isn't important. Why would anyone care about going to an institution where they learn skills that they will use in college and the real world? Investing in your future? Pssshhh what does that even mean?
No Way

Prestonsburg, KY

#33 Jun 4, 2013
I drove to school, had two speeds! Stopped and wide open. The parking lost looked like the Indy 500 when school let out. All we need is a bunch of teenagers on the roads along with the pill heads and drunks. We run buses, ride the big yeller dog and shut up!
wtf

Pikeville, KY

#34 Jun 5, 2013
Laughing wrote:
<quoted text>I don't care what kind of grades you make in school. That does not make you a good driver. Kids, my nature are going to take their eyes off the road, talk on the cell etc. Is is extemely hard to skip school. The attendence is checked in every class. Teenagers are simply not mature enough to drive anything other than a golf cart or bicycle. However, I also see the benefits of driving. Especially for parents who both work. There is no transportation provided for after school activities. Now, if the schools want to foot the bill and provide transportation for those kids that would be great! I always dread to see Spring roll around because there is always a major accident that involves a high school student. They are happy, feeling good, loving the weather and not paying attention to what they are doing.
lmfao

Stupid.

“lmao I'm a flamer”

Since: Nov 10

Point Pleasant, WV

#35 Jun 5, 2013
You all act like you own the damn road!!! News flash...YOU DON'T!!! Buses are overcrowded as it is. If all those high schoolers start riding a bus, they will NEED MORE BUSES to haul them...OUR TAX DOLLARS will be spent on an extra, say $100,000 (maybe more, I don't know how much buses are), to buy more buses...all because you jakeasses think that just because your little checks throw in perhaps a $1,000 a year, you own every damn thing!!! Let the kids drive to school.... They need the practice because they'll be out on our roadways freely soon enough.
Anna

Dartmouth, Canada

#37 Jul 17, 2013
Concerned Citizen wrote:
I think that there is enough wrecks in Pike County that children should be on the safest place for them that would be the Buses tax payers pay for to take and bring the children home from school. There would be less skipping classes and less fender benders if they want to get home early let the parents come pick them up. If they have jobs well that could be considered. Not all the kids has jobs. Most that drive to Pike Central have no respect for other drivers on the road when school dismisses maybe lawmakers should consider making all children ride the buses to and from school. It is bad enough having to watch for school buses let along teenagers that have only had those lin a few months or even days.
But do keep in mind that a lot of bullying happens on school buses. Both my daughters went through daily harassment on the school bus and the school will do nothing. I let me girls (17 and 16) drive to school after the police became involved because the school simply wont or in their words "cant" end bullying. Sometimes, its best for a highschool kid to drive, and I know that many are unsafe drivers, but not all of them are. I dont think it would be right for children like my girls to have to ride the bus with their tormenters because a lot of teens drive unsafe.
Rin Okumaru

Philadelphia, PA

#51 Sep 1, 2013
I notice people bring up skipping school. Its easy to skip school without a car. Also if the state things they are responsible to drive at 16 then y cant they drive to school? Also if you think about it driving can help improve grades by allowing the student less stress and more time to sleep.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Underground tunnels in Pikeville (Jul '14) 10 min Citra 10
Add a word, Drop a word (May '10) 21 min Red_Forman 23,018
I Love Music, Any Kinda Music (Dec '13) 32 min Musikologist 3,629
Musikal MishMash 37 min Musikologist 42
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 52 min pusherman_ 133,309
WXCC talks Internet annonimity. 1 hr Amy 39
Resp do more 1 hr Yea it is 8
PMC Affairs 2 hr Life at the Top 31
jaunita deskins 14 hr Yep 26
Rodney Scott 15 hr enter username 8
The May Administration 15 hr IKNOW 16
Pikeville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Pikeville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance