Should kids be allowed to drive to sc...

Should kids be allowed to drive to school?

Posted in the Pikeville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Concerned Citizen

Pedro, OH

#1 Mar 5, 2010
I think that there is enough wrecks in Pike County that children should be on the safest place for them that would be the Buses tax payers pay for to take and bring the children home from school. There would be less skipping classes and less fender benders if they want to get home early let the parents come pick them up. If they have jobs well that could be considered. Not all the kids has jobs. Most that drive to Pike Central have no respect for other drivers on the road when school dismisses maybe lawmakers should consider making all children ride the buses to and from school. It is bad enough having to watch for school buses let along teenagers that have only had those lin a few months or even days.
Ryan

Beattyville, KY

#2 Mar 5, 2010
I never had a wreck when I was a teenager, and I am sure I could have out drove you. I will be letting my child drive to school when he gets his license. He will just have to watch out for the first of the month check drawing fools running to cash their check and buy their dope.
Go back to school

Pedro, OH

#3 Mar 5, 2010
Ryan wrote:
I never had a wreck when I was a teenager, and I am sure I could have out drove you. I will be letting my child drive to school when he gets his license. He will just have to watch out for the first of the month check drawing fools running to cash their check and buy their dope.
Some people that is on the draw is not on drugs. Father worked his whole life to have had his legs cut off by a train you have no respect go back to school and maybe they will be hope for you yet. He deserves his check and you have no right to say all the people on a check is druggies. Stick to the subject this is not about check drawing people.(FOOL)
Get Real

Elkhorn City, KY

#4 Mar 5, 2010
Some teenagers are responsible! Some of them have jobs thhey go to after school and they help buy their own gas and pay their insurance! I think in this day and time you should allow it to teach them responsibility! Just because some teenagers have an accident doesn't mean all of them do not know how to drive or something! Yes I pay taxes as well and no my children aren't teens, but I can assure you that I will let them drive to school if they are involved in after school activities or have a job! And if you didn't know there are guidelines now for those who have a permit. Like so many day/night hours they have to have. They are also on a prbationary period for a length of time. And you should be watching out there no matter what because there aare also adults that you would think only had their license since yesterday! Or those out there who are on drugs or alcohol. So if you don't watch and there is an accident it is as much your fault as it is the other guy!!!
Also " Go back to school" is right!!! There are some people out there that do deserve the check they get. You will think about that when you reach that age or have something wrong. Not all of them are on drugs either!
Responsibilty

Pedro, OH

#5 Mar 5, 2010
Get Real wrote:
Some teenagers are responsible! Some of them have jobs thhey go to after school and they help buy their own gas and pay their insurance! I think in this day and time you should allow it to teach them responsibility! Just because some teenagers have an accident doesn't mean all of them do not know how to drive or something! Yes I pay taxes as well and no my children aren't teens, but I can assure you that I will let them drive to school if they are involved in after school activities or have a job! And if you didn't know there are guidelines now for those who have a permit. Like so many day/night hours they have to have. They are also on a prbationary period for a length of time. And you should be watching out there no matter what because there aare also adults that you would think only had their license since yesterday! Or those out there who are on drugs or alcohol. So if you don't watch and there is an accident it is as much your fault as it is the other guy!!!
Also " Go back to school" is right!!! There are some people out there that do deserve the check they get. You will think about that when you reach that age or have something wrong. Not all of them are on drugs either!
You start at home teaching responsibility not behind a wheel of a car or truck. I think driving is a pleasure. If a student has after school activities or a job the lawmakers could consider that just because they have some restrictions does not mean anything get rid of all the cell phones they get on and start calling buddies when the bell rings and then they get on a public highway and endanger other peoples welfare by being inconsiderate spoiled brats Get real just because they have probation means nothing when They earn the right to drive then they should be rewarded how many F students drive to school? Lawmakers should make it to where they are a 3.0 or 4.0 before they even get a permit and say the heck with the probation period. Why not have the smarts to drive if your going to be behind the wheel. Also would cut down on drop out rates if they make it to where you have to have a 4.0 before getting a permit. I think its a great idea I have children and it would make them be more respectful to the thought of getting a privilege and teach them responsible of making and keeping the grades up.
Get Real

Elkhorn City, KY

#6 Mar 5, 2010
I agree they should keep up their grades, wonderful idea. But the cell phone thing, I see A LOT of adults doing the same thing so are they spoiled brats as well? I will be teaching my kids responsibilty, my thing is that some of these teens work to help the parents pay for gas or insurance which they should! Whick is also a part of responsibilty and getting them prepared for the real world! Don't get me wrong I didn't get my license til I was 18 and had graduated.
Responsibilty

Pedro, OH

#7 Mar 5, 2010
I dont want to step on anyones toes I just think it would help keep grades under control and keep alot of kids from getting hurt or maybe even killed. The Insurance yes when they earn a car they should be made to get jobs and pay for gas and the Insurance. Also they should have a curfew after 10:00pm they should be at home. Anything happening after that is the stuff that gets half of them into a whole alot of trouble. I also feel they should up the limit age on to purchase beer 21 is still to young. I feel they should be at least 25 so that way theyr half grown up and they really probably wouldnt even start drinking. It would cut out alot of accidents involving older people and the young generation from getting killed. Older people should not talk on cell phones while driving either it is inconserdate of your other follow drivers to have to watch for you when u should be doing it yourself also.
Get Real

Elkhorn City, KY

#8 Mar 5, 2010
I agree with all you said! I always had a curfew as long as I was under my parents roof. And I didnt get married til I was 23.
BlahBlahBlah

Logan, WV

#9 Mar 5, 2010
LOL r yall the same ppl whinnin about cell phones and spankings lol? Let ppl raise there kids and u raise yours cause in the end thats all u can really do. This isnt a topic. Its a bunch of control freaks mad cause they cant control everyone...
wow

Kimper, KY

#10 Mar 5, 2010
People just want to continue to take the rights of Americans away. I have a child who is involved in sports, who has practice every day after school... With my job, I can't get to the school to pick them up, and since the bus doesn't run for "ball-practice", there would be no way for my child to get back and forth to the school. Should they have to not participate in after school activities because of this? I don't think so, and if we make "exceptions" for athletes... well, I think people complain that athletes get away with so much more than other students as it is... That would really help with that debate, huh? Secondly, if the law says the person can drive at 16, they have went through the legal process of obtaining a driver's license, and the student or the parent pays the payment and insurance, how exactly is it the right of the school to say whether that person can drive or not? If the school tried to tell me that my child couldn't drive his car that I pay for, and its not some form of punishment for actions involving their car or driving on school grounds, then I'm going to be one pissed parent...
Responsibilty

Pedro, OH

#11 Mar 6, 2010
So what if you get pissed all ball players and cheerleaders are treated differently in all schools. But I am a parent of three that is in grade school right now and I would love to see this happen. Because some parents are worse than the children when it comes to the situation. The laws should be stiffer on how and when they get a Lin. and they should outlaw cell phones well behind a wheel of any vech. You might work that is fine but there is buses our taxes pay for the kids to ride I think if they have practice the bus driver's should have to take turns picking the child up and taking them home. That would be much safer. Then when they get home go on to work. I would love to see ball players make and keep a 4.0 to get to keep the lin. and the teachers not cheat the grades for them.I bet half the ball team do not and could not keep a 4.0 on their own do you? Not all but some could. The schools to need to take control of these kids put the paddling back in the schools and some of these kids that spit on teachers and the other workers would not be so apt to do what they do. My kids lord be with them if they do not change the laws because you put a bunch together and all of them will do what the others do because of popularity that is another thing they are more to life than to teach children that they are better than others after all god created all of us. We all put one leg in our pants at a time. No one is better than anyone no matter what you wear or what kind of car you drive. This world could be better for our kids if the laws would change and Mr. Wagner would change how schools r ran. Buses should have to take kids to practice not the parents the buses should haul them to all games not the parents. They play for the school and the schools should have to provide this transportation. I think that teachers that teach the same place as a husband or wife should not be permitted. No school should have a teacher as a bus driver, No school should allow that a teacher be allowed to teach the children that belong to them. That is what is wrong today teachers are bus drivers etc coaches and they are so tired our childrens education is punished for it because they have so much to keep up with. I would love to see Wagner put a stop to all of this and change how the board handles up coming situations. As far as taking Americans rights away that happened along time ago. Just my in put on the whole situation. I would love to see all schools be in uniforms that is the color of the school I think that would help teachers keep up with the kids better and know who is on campus that does not belong if they dont have uniform on.
brenda abshire

Mocksville, NC

#12 Mar 6, 2010
well here in nc you have to maintain a c average to keep your license if you are in school if you drop out before the age of 18 you have to turn them in, also the cell phone here if you are caught textin while driving its 150.00 fine they are trying to do away with talking on cells all together i hope they do we have to many accidents here. another thing about kids driving they have to be home by 900 pm if they are 18 with a license also..and cannot be driving before 5am
been there

United States

#13 Mar 6, 2010
it should be a law that you have to be 18 years old in order to drive anywhere alone. let the kids get their license at 16, but require that they must only drive while accompanied by a person over the age of 18 and only before 10pm. After 10pm they should not be allowed to drive anywhere. i caught my 17 nephew texting while driving he was driving about 60 mph, he didn't even see me and he passed right by me. so i reported him to his parents, he was grounded and the phone taken away for a month, and so mad at me that he didn't speak to me for that same month, but i would do it again. i would rather he hated my guts and be alive, than be his best and favorite aunt and go to his funeral.
Not going to happen

Kimper, KY

#14 Mar 6, 2010
How exactly do you propose that these people get to and from work? Do you also propose that the buses take the students to and from work as well? I got a job at 16 to start saving for my college education... And did just that. My cousin also lost a parent a few years ago, so he dropped out of school and got his GED so that he could work full time and help support his mother and siblings. That kid was and still is far more responsible than most grown adults in today's world and you suggest that he shouldn't have had the ability to work and help support his family, because he wouldn't have had a way to and from work? No, there are plenty of responsible young people, and there are plenty of irresponsible older people. If you don't believe me, wait outside the mark II on a weekend and see how many "responsible adults" come out of there drunk and get behind the wheel... They don't need to discriminate based upon age, they simply need to enforce stricter punishments for driving like an idiot... regardless of how old you are.
mes

Winchester, KY

#15 Mar 6, 2010
I was a good driver when i was a teen i ws vary carefull while driving. however many kids these days drive way to fast and reckles i think it would be a good idra to let them start to drive only when they graduate high school or turn 18

Winchester, KY

#16 Mar 6, 2010
I think that it would be safer if the kids didn't drive to school and the parents had them ride the bus instead of taking them and picking them up. Haven't you been around these schools during those hours. People act like loonies.
Martha

Gadsden, AL

#17 Feb 24, 2012
With the price of gas going up every day, I think we should have a ration on gas,
Let the kids ride the bus, we have to stop the waste of fuel and a good place to start is keeping the people off the road that does not have a good reason to be driving,
Many of these teens are driving gas hogs because they are paying for it with their parents credit card.
If you look in the parking lot of any high school you will see at least a hundred cars that do not need to be there.
awake

Dana, KY

#18 Feb 24, 2012
After reading this I can clearly see many of you have no ideal what the bill of rights are, or our constitution for that matter. Ignorance of the American people is more dangerous to our freedoms than any standing Army. How many of you even know the Preamble to the U.S. Constitution.

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence,promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

This is a good start now you should read the rest of the constitution before you continue asking for more regulations be placed upon Americans stealing there freedoms one new bill at a time.

I am ashamed to even call some of you Americans. you live in what was once the greatest nation in the world and you set back begging the government to take your freedoms. well there is one freedom that still exist if you don't like America's Christian values and the freedoms spelled out in our constitution you are free to leave and find Refuge else where in the world. God Bless America and God Bless those American's willing to stand for freedom and our Constitution.

If my post offends you, THEN YOU ARE A PART OF THE PROBLEM
Laughing

Wheelwright, KY

#19 Feb 24, 2012
Ryan wrote:
Maybe you should have stayed on the bus. Your sentence structure is terrible. You must have skipped English Class. Also, you might want to re-consider call people fools. You sound like an idiot.
Laughing

Wheelwright, KY

#20 Feb 24, 2012
awake wrote:
After reading this I can clearly see many of you have no ideal what the bill of rights are, or our constitution for that matter. Ignorance of the American people is more dangerous to our freedoms than any standing Army. How many of you even know the Preamble to the U.S. Constitution.
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence,promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
This is a good start now you should read the rest of the constitution before you continue asking for more regulations be placed upon Americans stealing there freedoms one new bill at a time.
I am ashamed to even call some of you Americans. you live in what was once the greatest nation in the world and you set back begging the government to take your freedoms. well there is one freedom that still exist if you don't like America's Christian values and the freedoms spelled out in our constitution you are free to leave and find Refuge else where in the world. God Bless America and God Bless those American's willing to stand for freedom and our Constitution.
If my post offends you, THEN YOU ARE A PART OF THE PROBLEM
Driving is not a "right" Driving is something you earn the right to do. My personal opinion is children should not be issued a drivers license until the age of 18. So many young people are killed every year because of the lack of immaturity. You can bet that if I see a child driving wrecklessly I am going to contact his/her parents or call the police. I would rather see them in trouble,than see them dead. I have a child that will soon be of age to drive; I would love to have a way to turn off cell phones when the car is put in drive or reverse. Adults are guilty of the same thing. They can't drive one mile down the road without using their cell phone!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
City of pikeville buy the Abe Lincoln statue 11 min rds 9
Young Girls are better than Old Women (Jan '11) 27 min blueberrypie73 48
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 27 min Pikeville Parent 161,250
Politically, what would Jesus do? 1 hr Joey 12
Ashley Brown's campaign lies 1 hr Mr Greenbucks 87
Natural Gas still cheaper than Coal 2 hr JR 50
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... (Jul '14) 4 hr DUH 36,186
Airport Board Once Again FAILS to Meet v2.0 9 hr Meow 48

Pikeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pikeville Mortgages