obama fires 1200 more miners
Proud of my tan

Pikeville, KY

#21 Sep 20, 2012
UNDER OBAMA, THE SUMMER OF DESPAIR FOR COAL IS HEATING UP WITH CLOSURES, LAYOFFS, AND BANKRUPTCIES ACROSS THE COUNTRY

EPA Regulations Are Estimated To Cut Total Coal Employment By 1.4 Million Job-Years Between 2011 And 2020.“An estimated 60,000 Americans work in coal-fired power plants. These are high-productivity jobs because the employees work with large amounts of capital. Electricity generated by coal takes just 0.18 employees per megawatt of plant capacity. Coal-fired power plant jobs pay high wages because their employees are skilled. Yet new EPA regulations are estimated to cut total coal employment by 1.4 million job-years between 2011 and 2020.”(Andrew P. Morriss,“EPA Foolishly Seeks To Destroy Nation’s Coal Industry,” McClatchyDC, 8/2/12)
■A Typical Coal Miner In The United States Earns $73,000 A Year According To The National Mining Association.“Third, the coal industry is a significant source of jobs. The typical coal miner earns $73,000 a year, says the National Mining Association, which represents the mining industry in Washington.”(Andrew P. Morriss,“EPA Foolishly Seeks To Destroy Nation’s Coal Industry,” McClatchyDC, 8/2/12)
wtf

Waco, KY

#22 Sep 20, 2012
Proud of my tan wrote:
UNDER OBAMA, THE SUMMER OF DESPAIR FOR COAL IS HEATING UP WITH CLOSURES, LAYOFFS, AND BANKRUPTCIES ACROSS THE COUNTRY
EPA Regulations Are Estimated To Cut Total Coal Employment By 1.4 Million Job-Years Between 2011 And 2020.“An estimated 60,000 Americans work in coal-fired power plants. These are high-productivity jobs because the employees work with large amounts of capital. Electricity generated by coal takes just 0.18 employees per megawatt of plant capacity. Coal-fired power plant jobs pay high wages because their employees are skilled. Yet new EPA regulations are estimated to cut total coal employment by 1.4 million job-years between 2011 and 2020.”(Andrew P. Morriss,“EPA Foolishly Seeks To Destroy Nation’s Coal Industry,” McClatchyDC, 8/2/12)
■A Typical Coal Miner In The United States Earns $73,000 A Year According To The National Mining Association.“Third, the coal industry is a significant source of jobs. The typical coal miner earns $73,000 a year, says the National Mining Association, which represents the mining industry in Washington.”(Andrew P. Morriss,“EPA Foolishly Seeks To Destroy Nation’s Coal Industry,” McClatchyDC, 8/2/12)
What do you care? You don't work.
Proud of my tan

Pikeville, KY

#23 Sep 20, 2012
The Obama Administration Has Destroyed 2,868 Jobs In Eastern Ohio.“‘At its peak, OhioAmerican employed 239 local people in high-paying, well-benefited jobs,’ said Mr. Stanley T. Piasecki, General Manager and Superintendent.‘University studies show that our Mines can create up to eleven (11) secondary jobs in our communities, for store clerks, teachers, etc., to serve our direct employees. Thus, if one uses the eleven (11) to one (1) multiplier, the Obama Administration has destroyed 2,868 jobs in eastern Ohio with this forced Mine closure,’ stated Mr. Piasecki.”(Press Release,“OhioAmerican Energy, Inc. Coal Mining Operation Closed In Eastern Ohio,” Murray Energy, 7/31/12)

First Energy Is Retiring Three Coal-Fired Generators Because Of Federal Environmental Standards Put In Place Late Last Year.“FirstEnergy said in January it would retire three coal-fired generators at Bay Shore because of federal environmental standards put in place late last year..”(“Layoffs To Begin Sept. 1 At Bay Shore Plant,” Toledo Blade, 7/20/12)

Kentucky

In Kentucky, Coal Layoffs Abound: 52 Employees Lost Their Jobs At Enterprise Mining, 109 At Xinergy Corp.’s Straight Creek Mine, And 160 At Sapphire Coal. "A wave of layoff announcements started early this year and just kept coming: Fifty-two people at Enterprise Mining’s surface operation in Knott County on Feb. 3. Two weeks later, 109 at Xinergy Corp.’s Straight Creek mine in Bell County. In April, 160 at Sapphire Coal in Letcher County.”(Bill Estep,“Coal Industry Sheds Jobs, Leaving Eastern Kentucky Economy In Tatters,” McClatchy, 7/29/12)

In Kentucky, Arch Coal Will Lay Off Nearly 600 People, 79 Percent Of Their Workforce In The State.“In Kentucky, 79 Percent of the Arch’s employees will be laid off. The company says that is nearly 600 workers.”(“Arch Coal Cutting 750 Mine Jobs In Appalachia,” WSAZ News Channel, 7/22/12)
■ “The Rowdy Gap Mine In Hazard, Ky. Will Be Idled And 49 Employees Will Lose Their Jobs.”(“Arch Coal Cutting 750 Mine Jobs In Appalachia,” WSAZ News Channel, 7/22/12)
■“The Flint Ridge Complex In Clayhole Will Be Idled, Laying Off 131 Employees.”(“Arch Coal Cutting 750 Mine Jobs In Appalachia,” WSAZ News Channel, 7/22/12)
■“And The Entire Knott County And Raven Complexes In Kite Are Shutting Down, Impacting 259 Workers.”(“Arch Coal Cutting 750 Mine Jobs In Appalachia,” WSAZ News Channel, 7/22/12)
wtf

Waco, KY

#24 Sep 20, 2012
Proud of my tan wrote:
The Obama Administration Has Destroyed 2,868 Jobs In Eastern Ohio.“‘At its peak, OhioAmerican employed 239 local people in high-paying, well-benefited jobs,’ said Mr. Stanley T. Piasecki, General Manager and Superintendent.‘University studies show that our Mines can create up to eleven (11) secondary jobs in our communities, for store clerks, teachers, etc., to serve our direct employees. Thus, if one uses the eleven (11) to one (1) multiplier, the Obama Administration has destroyed 2,868 jobs in eastern Ohio with this forced Mine closure,’ stated Mr. Piasecki.”(Press Release,“OhioAmerican Energy, Inc. Coal Mining Operation Closed In Eastern Ohio,” Murray Energy, 7/31/12)
First Energy Is Retiring Three Coal-Fired Generators Because Of Federal Environmental Standards Put In Place Late Last Year.“FirstEnergy said in January it would retire three coal-fired generators at Bay Shore because of federal environmental standards put in place late last year..”(“Layoffs To Begin Sept. 1 At Bay Shore Plant,” Toledo Blade, 7/20/12)
Kentucky
In Kentucky, Coal Layoffs Abound: 52 Employees Lost Their Jobs At Enterprise Mining, 109 At Xinergy Corp.’s Straight Creek Mine, And 160 At Sapphire Coal. "A wave of layoff announcements started early this year and just kept coming: Fifty-two people at Enterprise Mining’s surface operation in Knott County on Feb. 3. Two weeks later, 109 at Xinergy Corp.’s Straight Creek mine in Bell County. In April, 160 at Sapphire Coal in Letcher County.”(Bill Estep,“Coal Industry Sheds Jobs, Leaving Eastern Kentucky Economy In Tatters,” McClatchy, 7/29/12)
In Kentucky, Arch Coal Will Lay Off Nearly 600 People, 79 Percent Of Their Workforce In The State.“In Kentucky, 79 Percent of the Arch’s employees will be laid off. The company says that is nearly 600 workers.”(“Arch Coal Cutting 750 Mine Jobs In Appalachia,” WSAZ News Channel, 7/22/12)
■ “The Rowdy Gap Mine In Hazard, Ky. Will Be Idled And 49 Employees Will Lose Their Jobs.”(“Arch Coal Cutting 750 Mine Jobs In Appalachia,” WSAZ News Channel, 7/22/12)
■“The Flint Ridge Complex In Clayhole Will Be Idled, Laying Off 131 Employees.”(“Arch Coal Cutting 750 Mine Jobs In Appalachia,” WSAZ News Channel, 7/22/12)
■“And The Entire Knott County And Raven Complexes In Kite Are Shutting Down, Impacting 259 Workers.”(“Arch Coal Cutting 750 Mine Jobs In Appalachia,” WSAZ News Channel, 7/22/12)
What do you care? You do not work.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#26 Sep 20, 2012
Proud of my tan wrote:
<quoted text>EIA and MSHA?? Give it a rest. You cxontinue to use what the fox in the hen house said.
That's akin to the recent clearing of eric holder by an investigation of him performed by his own beholden and captive employees in the DOJ..It's a joke on you and a joke on the country.
For you to use the very agencies that are at fault for your 'proof' only proves your lack of support for a losing yomommabama.
obama supporters have a loose nut somewhere anyway so I doubt you ever being cured. Your illness is terminal and if it spreads...The 'terminal' part will apply to the USA!
Lets see, I provide actual evidence that can be researched by anyone here with a brain. You provide nothing once again but your own ignorance of the topic. Hum? I wonder who really needs to give it a rest.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#27 Sep 20, 2012
That's your problem bleeding blue. You read about it. more than likely on a liberal page. Us coal miner has been experiencing this first hand. Try to put it all together now. Follow along and you will see both sides. Obama hates coal. Therefore he appointed a new head of MSHA. MSHA follows Obama's appointed EPA restrictions. This makes it much harder to mine coal and recieve permits. More regulations add up to coal operators having to pay higher fines to continue to mine coal. The operator knows if things continue to stay the same, the company will suffer more loss on profits. The operator decides to call the president's bluff. The mine is then shut down or put in an idle status until elections are over. By doing this, the mine operator now has the ball in their court. If the elections favor the coal workforce the operator can now return to mining coal. The laid off workers will go back to mining coal, but will take their old jobs back at a lower pay. Rich people are greedy. always have been always will be. One thing to remember though. The rich employee us. They will not suffer either way. I for one would much rather see myself working. That is why I will vote for a person who will allow coal operators to mine coal. Romney hates handouts. That says to me he will be doing all he can to create new jobs. Coal mining surface and underground, keystone pipeline, drilling our own oil. It doesn't get more clear than that. Would you waste every dime you have and pay it to the goverment in fines to never make a profit? I think not.
Proud of my tan

Pikeville, KY

#28 Sep 20, 2012
3*% NYT-Sat.12

Lest we forget that the Obama administration has made it their mission to forcibly change the face of American energy as we know it — most notably by removing the blemish that they’ve deemed the coal industry to be — House Natural Resources Committee Chairman Doc Hastings has an informative op-ed in Politico today that describes the White House’s commitment to making it practically impossible for coal to succeed, all of the lost jobs and costly neighborhood effects be damned.


The nonpartisan U.S. Energy Information Administration has all but confirmed the president’s aggressive war on coal with a report detailing a record number of coal-fired power plants to be closed this year — largely because of burdensome regulations and other compliance costs. Worse, 175 coal-fired power plants are scheduled to be shut down from 2012 to 2016, EIA estimated, requiring 27 gigawatts of electricity — enough to power 27 million homes — to be replaced by more expensive forms of energy.

The shuttering of record numbers of coal-fired power plants threatens thousands of the 555,270 direct and indirect coal-related jobs that help supply America with nearly half of its generated electricity and pay $36 billion in wages.
(by ERICA JOHNSEN-NYT)
Proud of my tan

Pikeville, KY

#29 Sep 20, 2012
Now what was it bleeding said?? Oh, yeah...Here it is:

("Lets see, I provide actual evidence that can be researched by anyone here with a brain. You provide nothing once again but your own ignorance of the topic. Hum? I wonder who really needs to give it a rest.")

Just how freaking STUPID is bleeding?

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#30 Sep 20, 2012
Str8Edge wrote:
That's your problem bleeding blue. You read about it. more than likely on a liberal page. Us coal miner has been experiencing this first hand. Try to put it all together now. Follow along and you will see both sides. Obama hates coal. Therefore he appointed a new head of MSHA. MSHA follows Obama's appointed EPA restrictions. This makes it much harder to mine coal and recieve permits. More regulations add up to coal operators having to pay higher fines to continue to mine coal. The operator knows if things continue to stay the same, the company will suffer more loss on profits. The operator decides to call the president's bluff. The mine is then shut down or put in an idle status until elections are over. By doing this, the mine operator now has the ball in their court. If the elections favor the coal workforce the operator can now return to mining coal. The laid off workers will go back to mining coal, but will take their old jobs back at a lower pay. Rich people are greedy. always have been always will be. One thing to remember though. The rich employee us. They will not suffer either way. I for one would much rather see myself working. That is why I will vote for a person who will allow coal operators to mine coal. Romney hates handouts. That says to me he will be doing all he can to create new jobs. Coal mining surface and underground, keystone pipeline, drilling our own oil. It doesn't get more clear than that. Would you waste every dime you have and pay it to the goverment in fines to never make a profit? I think not.
No see thats your Problem, you suffer from a delusion shared by many in the Republican party. I'm not sure the medical term, but it boils down to "Everything that disagrees with PERSONAL OPINION, is wrong, lies, and BS" Sorry friend but it just doesn't work that way. You're part right, it's is the mine owners who are to blame, they're not willing to meet regulations that were passed in 1977. Catch up pal. They did lay off workers because of an election, this is true, but regardless of who wins, they will put miners back to work. The difference is, if Obama wins, the workers will recieve good pay, and saftey from the greedy Owners, where as if Romney wins, miners will be losing more protection, work places will be less safe, and they will more than likely take a large pay cut.
Proud of my tan

Pikeville, KY

#31 Sep 20, 2012
Pennsylvania

In Pennsylvania,“PBS Coals Inc. And Its Affiliate Company, RoxCoal Inc., Laid Off About 225 Workers As Part Of An Immediate Idling Of Some Deep And Surface Mines In Somerset County.”“PBS Coals Inc. and its affiliate company, RoxCoal Inc., laid off about 225 workers as part of an immediate idling of some deep and surface mines in Somerset County. The company now employs 795 workers.”(Eric Schwartzel,“Two Coal Companies Downsize,” Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 7/20/12)
&#9632;PBS Coals’ President And CEO Cited Escalating Costs And Uncertainty From Obama’s EPA Regulations.“In a statement, PBS President and CEO D. Lynn Shanks said the escalating costs and uncertainty generated by recently advanced EPA regulations and interpretations have created a challenging business climate for the entire coal industry,’ he said in the statement.”(Eric Schwartzel,“Two Coal Companies Downsize,” Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 7/20/12)

In Pennsylvania, GenOn Energy, Inc. Will Close Three Coal-Fired Power Plants Because Of Onerous Federal Regulations.“GenOn Energy Inc. will shut down eight power plants over the next three years, three of them old, coal-burning power plants in Western Pennsylvania: at Elrama in northern Washington County, Shawville in Clearfield County and near New Castle in Lawrence County. The Houston-based power company announced the power plant deactivations Wednesday as part of its 2011 earnings report, blaming federal environmental regulations requiring installation of pollution control equipment.”(Don Hopey,“Off Switch Hit For Power Plants,” The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 3/1/12)
Manning

Logan, WV

#32 Sep 20, 2012
www.youtube.com -----type in:" blacks are not honorable people manning"
Proud of my tan

Pikeville, KY

#33 Sep 20, 2012
Missouri

In Missouri, Patriot Coal Voluntarily Filed For Reorganization Under Chapter 11 Bankruptcy.“Patriot Coal Corporation (NYSE: PCX), a producer and marketer of coal products in the eastern United States, announced today that Patriot and substantially all of its wholly owned subsidiaries have filed voluntary petitions for reorganization under Chapter 11 of the Bankruptcy Code in the Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York.”(Press Release,“Patriot Coal Files For Chapter 11 Reorganization To Improve The Company’s Long-Term Prospects,” Patriot Coal, 7/9/12)

Indiana

In Indiana, Indianapolis Power & Light Has Sent Out Requests For Proposals To Replace Electricity Generated At Its Coal-Burning Eagle Valley Plant.“The Indianapolis Power and Light Co. has sent out requests for proposals to replace the electricity now being generated by the coal-burning Eagle Valley station just north of Martinsville.”(Charlie Miller,“Eagle Valley Power Plant To Close By 2016,” Herald Times, 7/9/12)
&#9632;Eagle Valley Will Be Retired By 2016 And 100 Employees Will Lose Their Jobs.“According to IPL plans, the Eagle Valley plant will be retired by 2016. There are now about 100 employees at Eagle Valley, which began its operation in 1949. IPL also plans on shutting down several similar generating units at the company’s Harding Street station in Indianapolis.”(Charlie Miller,“Eagle Valley Power Plant To Close By 2016,” Herald Times, 7/9/12)

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#34 Sep 20, 2012
The regulations have changed. Tan is right. You should really think before you give an opinion. You act like you know everything. That's what is wrong with you bleeding blue. You can't act. You are a big fan of the big blue nation? Probably love ashley judd? Let me ask you something. If Ashley Judd can remove her top to make a living, why can't coal miners? Bleeding blue also supports Obama Nation.....Say that out loud. Obama Nation. does it even sound like a good way to vote??? Sounds like the begining of the end.
Proud of my tan

Pikeville, KY

#35 Sep 20, 2012
Alpha Natural Resources Along With Two Other Companies “Blame The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency For Causing A downturn In Coal Demand.” “Consol is not alone in reducing its coal operations in West Virginia, as Arch Coal and Alpha Natural Resources also announced recently plans to cut back their work forces throughout the Mountain State. All three companies blame the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for causing a downturn in coal demand, citing this as the reason for reducing their coal operations.” (Casey Junkins, “Coal Jobs Cut; Consol, Others Scaling Back,” The Intelligencer/Wheeling News-Registe r , 7/8/12)
Laid off miners

Richmond, KY

#36 Sep 20, 2012
Obama is making them part of his 47%, laid off on the draw and paying no taxes! Maybe ole Mitt had something there, have to vote for the man that is giving you your draw check!
Manning

Logan, WV

#37 Sep 20, 2012
www.youtube.com Manning. Type in "why blacks are not honorable people Manning" This black DR. tells the whole truth. We were sold a bill of goods in 2008. Learn why with Manning
Proud of my tan

Pikeville, KY

#39 Sep 20, 2012
Highly convenient that the bulk of these new regulations won’t start kicking in until after 2012, but there you have it. Hastings goes on to argue that one of the most specific covert actions by the Obama administration has been their decision to rewrite a coal production regulation known as the 2008 Stream Buffer Zone Rule, which highlights the lengths to which they’re willing to go to flout the free market and accomplish their goals:


The Obama administration discarded a rule that underwent five years of environmental review and public comment; entered into a court agreement with environmental groups to rewrite the rule in an unachievable time frame; spent millions of taxpayer dollars and hired new contractors to do the rewrite; fired the contractors when it leaked that the revision would cost 7,000 jobs; attempted to manipulate data to conceal the true economic impact; and is now hiding its final rule from the public until after the election.
Proud of my tan

Pikeville, KY

#40 Sep 20, 2012
A Romney presidency, meanwhile, would have the opportunity to roll back part of the oncoming onslaught of regulations, and NBC points out that the coal industry is at least cautiously optimistic that he will do what he can:


According to the Energy Department, there are nearly 1,400 coal-fired power plants with a total of 317 gigawatts of generating capacity. So shutting down 45 gigawatts of coal-fired generation would end about 14 percent of U.S. coal-fired electricity.…

Most industry leaders expect a more benign regulatory environment for coal if Romney wins on Nov. 6, said Kyle Danish, an attorney who specializes in energy policy at the Van Ness Feldman law firm in Washington.…

The Obama administration has attempted to impose tighter restrictions on mining in the Appalachians, including mountaintop removal.“Some of these rules were invalidated in federal district courts, and the Obama administration is appealing those decisions. Most in industry believe a Romney administration is likely to drop the appeals and go in a different direction, relying more on the states to oversee permitting and regulation of mining operations,” Danish said.
very smart

Winchester, KY

#42 Sep 20, 2012
Proud of my tan wrote:
A Romney presidency, meanwhile, would have the opportunity to roll back part of the oncoming onslaught of regulations, and NBC points out that the coal industry is at least cautiously optimistic that he will do what he can:
According to the Energy Department, there are nearly 1,400 coal-fired power plants with a total of 317 gigawatts of generating capacity. So shutting down 45 gigawatts of coal-fired generation would end about 14 percent of U.S. coal-fired electricity.…
Most industry leaders expect a more benign regulatory environment for coal if Romney wins on Nov. 6, said Kyle Danish, an attorney who specializes in energy policy at the Van Ness Feldman law firm in Washington.…
The Obama administration has attempted to impose tighter restrictions on mining in the Appalachians, including mountaintop removal.“Some of these rules were invalidated in federal district courts, and the Obama administration is appealing those decisions. Most in industry believe a Romney administration is likely to drop the appeals and go in a different direction, relying more on the states to oversee permitting and regulation of mining operations,” Danish
shutup about that loser romney.now Hush?
Full of Mitt

Richmond, KY

#43 Sep 20, 2012
Makes about 220 million a year, hides it in the cayman Islands and Swiss bank accounts.His main contributers are from Wall Street and Corporations. He already said he don't worry about you non tax paying slackers. You are the 47% he don't give a damn about ane he will cut medicare and social security to to the friggin bone.

Nobody on this thread us rich enough to be a Morman republican, go ahead and vote for Wall Streets golden boy. You will regret if before the new Year.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 11 min Rose_NoHo 174,802
|keep a word, drop a word game| (Jul '11) 3 hr Jan 136
Add a word, Drop a word (May '10) 3 hr DJAO 27,769
Word Association (Aug '11) 3 hr Visitor Bob 8,563
Hillary Clinton OUR next President (Jun '15) 5 hr Ahillarydeportable 6,399
Bevins And Trump Will NOT be Re-Elected, Fools ... 5 hr Ahillarydeportable 215
News Police: Mother Arrested After Child Found Malno... 13 hr watchingyou 5
Alcohol/Hillbilly Days Fri Yep 18

Pikeville Jobs

Personal Finance

Pikeville Mortgages