Kentucky Blood Center
interested

Logan, WV

#1 Aug 22, 2010
I am interested in a career with the center. I was wondering if anyone knows what the starting pay is and if you have to be certified to work there.
KBC

Nicholasville, KY

#2 Aug 24, 2010
You can visit the website at www.kybloodcenter.org . The open positions are posted there. Phlebotomists go through an 8 week training course before being released. You do not have to have current certification to be hired, but must pass the training to be able to perform phlebotomy. If you have additional questions, please contact the Employee Recruiter in Lexington at 800-775-2522.
good 4 u

Phelps, KY

#3 Sep 16, 2010
interested wrote:
I am interested in a career with the center. I was wondering if anyone knows what the starting pay is and if you have to be certified to work there.
im glad people are interested in this field it saved my life
Willy J

Dana, KY

#4 Sep 17, 2010
interested wrote:
Pick another job. People give their blood to these Ky Blood Centers freely and thing they are doing something good. Then that bunch turn around and "sell" that same blood for big profits to fill the pockets of the upper administrators.

They also leave your arm lookin like a damn pin cushion because their employs don't have the qualifications that Red Cross people do.

If you want to do a job like that, work for the American Red Cross Bloodmobile. At least you than work for a good organization that actually provides blood free to those during a time of need, and the profit won't be paying for someone's big fine car, or lobster tail.
KBC

Nicholasville, KY

#5 Sep 18, 2010
Willy J,

I am really not sure where you have obtained your information. KBC is a not for profit organization that does not "sell" their blood products. KBC provides blood products to 67 hospitals and clinics throughout Central and Eastern Kentucky. Extensive testing goes into each unit of blood to ensure the blood supply stays safe and adequate. Any charge for a unit of blood is for the testing only and that charge is to the hospitals.

ARC does not supply blood products to eastern Kentucky counties. The ARC completes the exact same training as KBC employees as both are regulated by the FDA and AABB. Both organizations hire phlebotomists at entry level and employees receive extensive training before performing needle sticks on voluntary donors.

In some instances, donors may experience a hematoma or bruising of the injection site, but that possibility is the same at an ARC collection facility.

If you have experienced an unpleasant donation, I encourage you to call your local KBC donor center so that the issue can be addressed.
ill tell you one thing

Lexington, KY

#6 Sep 18, 2010
this nurse stuck me (on top of hand, couldn't find a vein higher up) and it looked like someone had took a ballbat to it, all swelled up and purple. to beat all that quack used a big long plastic IV needle hurt like the dickens. but, what the heck does one expect from a VA clinic? they must hire the first dunce that walks through the door.
KBC

Nicholasville, KY

#7 Sep 18, 2010
ill tell you one thing wrote:
this nurse stuck me (on top of hand, couldn't find a vein higher up) and it looked like someone had took a ballbat to it, all swelled up and purple. to beat all that quack used a big long plastic IV needle hurt like the dickens. but, what the heck does one expect from a VA clinic? they must hire the first dunce that walks through the door.
Wrong forum guy. KBC and VA are two totally different places. Hope you get better care at the VA next time.
willy

Dana, KY

#8 Sep 18, 2010
KBC wrote:
Willy J,
I am really not sure where you have obtained your information. KBC is a not for profit organization that does not "sell" their blood products. KBC provides blood products to 67 hospitals and clinics throughout Central and Eastern Kentucky. Extensive testing goes into each unit of blood to ensure the blood supply stays safe and adequate. Any charge for a unit of blood is for the testing only and that charge is to the hospitals.
ARC does not supply blood products to eastern Kentucky counties. The ARC completes the exact same training as KBC employees as both are regulated by the FDA and AABB. Both organizations hire phlebotomists at entry level and employees receive extensive training before performing needle sticks on voluntary donors.
In some instances, donors may experience a hematoma or bruising of the injection site, but that possibility is the same at an ARC collection facility.
If you have experienced an unpleasant donation, I encourage you to call your local KBC donor center so that the issue can be addressed.
Man don't you know? Non-profit does not mean the upper administration don't get everything paid (all travel, meals, motels) for jetting round in style and carrying a business card.
That also don't mean they don't make a couple hundred grand a year. It simply means that some board has to agree to pay that amount of money. BLOOD MONEY.

Those businesses that "process" that blood aren't non-profit. They make a fortune on blood they get for free. Its a money racket. Why and how else do you think they pay for blood in larger cities? They process it to make money; oh they act like its a public service, but itsall about the money..

Every drop of blood you or your family gets will be paid for at the top rate. Its all part of the bill.

So why can't people from East KY get our own blood to use for our people? Our people are important too.

The people working on the ARC Bloodmobile (I have seen at least a dozen times) are the ones who told me about the level of education and training required for them to take blood was higher than other organizations.. And my personal experience (and bruised arms) and the many times I have seen both organizations take blood has left me knowing the fact that ARC does not have near the number, nor the level of complications that other public forums (schools and general public). I have seen this time after time at annual school blood drives. I only give blood to the ARC, ever and I have given plenty. Those others are just making money, they give NOTHING to the world or local people; it just happens to this money-making is using your blood for the profit.

Its like organ donors. You give your body to "Science". A donor's body actually makes many thousands of dollars from a donors organs, and the system that "removes, and stores, and handles and processes the parts (especially the skin) make a fortune on those too. There was a special on that on CNN a year or 2 ago. Even CNN thought it was a ripoff because of the millions that are made from good people thinking they are saving people money and willing to help others.
KBC

Nicholasville, KY

#9 Sep 18, 2010
I am glad you have had good luck with ARC and Im sure they appreciate your donation. Thanks for giving blood.

Also, please understand there is a difference in "non-profit" and "not-for-profit."
phlebo

Lexington, KY

#10 Feb 9, 2013
Hey guy, I happen to work for KBC and there is a lot that goes into the process of the blood and the hospitals it goes to... there is NO MONEY made from a unit until it is used, and more often than not people get deferred and don't even get to donate. Not every phlebotomist is great at their job, sounds to me like you may have gotten one of those, plus, if you are ever uncomfortable, even for a second, we are required to take you off the bed immediately,. Seems to me like you may of not spoken up. Sorry for that but we aren't mind readers. Also, it is a non-profit organization, and actually a lot of the donors receive really great gifts for donating and saving a life...
Confused

Wheelwright, KY

#11 Feb 11, 2013
I'm thoroughly confused by the comments posted by Willy. I realize his comments were posted well over 2 years ago, but still, people's level of ignorance really surprises me at times. I'm not really that familiar with KBC, I've donated through them a time or two. Never had a problem with it. But as far as the money is concerned, how do you expect an organization to be able to keep employees if they do all their work for free and give all their products away for free? Don't get me wrong, in an imaginary world it would be great for all medical care to be free. But, if you don't make any money off what you're doing, how are you going to pay employees? How are you going to buy supplies, or pay for the gas, or the bills? So many things you're not going to be able to pay for. I don't know anything about what they charge, and who they charge, and couldn't care less. I just simply think it's silly to fault a business for charging for their services and products. So, here's how that would work, they start working out of the kindness of their hearts, and just stop charging for anything, then they won't have any supplies to do their jobs, and while there are plenty of people who would love to be able to help with a cause like that for free, they still have families to feed, so, they're going to have to get a different job and not be able to draw the blood, then your kid is dying and desperately needs blood, but... There is no blood to give them, because so many people like you think everything should just be given to them for free. Like I said, I don't even know if you're charged for blood, however, if you're willing to go out and spend your money on pointless crap that you don't need, yet you're so tight you don't wan't to pay for something that can save your life, or the life of your loved ones, it sounds more like there's a problem with you, not the blood center...

But I'll tell you what Willy, why don't you show us how it should be. Go ahead and quit your job, and go work full time for the blood center free of charge. If that's how you feel things should be, then you should be more than willing to go through the training and start showing people how to do it. I love it when people so willingly expect everyone else to just give their time and services for free, yet they don't even offer to do it themselves. What makes you and your time so much more valuable and precious than the employees that work there? Get off your high horse hypocrite, and if you need blood, just refuse it and die. That's the great thing about medical care, if you don't want it, you have the right to refuse. Feel free to use that right. ;)
Troy

Louisville, KY

#12 Feb 22, 2013
Not a truthful response, KBC. The Kentucky Blood Center does indeed sell blood products. A large amount of plasma extracted from whole blood donations is frozen and shipped to CLS Pharmaceuticals in Switzerland, the same company that runs the chain of for-profit plasma centers. This plasma, called RHP, is used for research and manufacturing, but not for human transfusion. I don't know how much KBC makes from the sale of RHP, but I can assume that it's a large amount of money. In the hospital services department (distribution) at KBC, preparation of RHP for shipment is very high priority. Management puts a tremendous amount of pressure on employees to get as much RHP as possible ready for shipment. This is difficult because hospital services employees are also responsible for getting blood transfusion products (red cells, platelets, plasma) out to area hospitals.
If department employees have a very busy night (such as the evening in March 2012 when the area was devastated by tornados) and are unable to prepare much or any RHP, they will hear about it from management. I was told by workers from the components lab at KBC that managers receive bonuses based on the amount of RHP that is produced and shipped out. I was unable to verify this, but it would make sense, based on the tremendous amount of pressure that employees are put under to get RHP out the door, and based on the number of Acuras and Lexus parked in the employee parking lot, the managers are being compensated handsomely for something.
KBC wrote:
Willy J,
Fat Bottom Girl

Virgie, KY

#13 Jul 11, 2014
Is it a good place to work?
former donor

Frankfort, KY

#14 Feb 3, 2015
Fat Bottom Girl wrote:
Is it a good place to work?
NO. Management is terrible, no room for advancement....and if you have to take FMLA, they will find a reason to fire you.
Crashnet

Los Angeles, CA

#15 Nov 6, 2015
Willy J wrote:
<quoted text>
Pick another job. People give their blood to these Ky Blood Centers freely and thing they are doing something good. Then that bunch turn around and "sell" that same blood for big profits to fill the pockets of the upper administrators.
They also leave your arm lookin like a damn pin cushion because their employs don't have the qualifications that Red Cross people do.
If you want to do a job like that, work for the American Red Cross Bloodmobile. At least you than work for a good organization that actually provides blood free to those during a time of need, and the profit won't be paying for someone's big fine car, or lobster tail.
Figures typical Kentucky most places pay cash for plasma..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 13 min usa 149,632
Black lives matter. 52 min More Than Most 47
~*~ Last Post Wins ~*~ (Aug '11) 56 min -Prince- 7,554
Hillary Clinton OUR next President (Jun '15) 57 min President Hillary 2,531
nugent not selling 58 min Draft Dodger Ted 60
One Hundred Jobs 1 hr One Hundred Jobs 3
Add a word, Drop a word (May '10) 3 hr _FLATLINE-------- 25,608
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... (Jul '14) 9 hr Uncle Tom 32,697

Pikeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pikeville Mortgages