deputy shoots at unarmed man
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
My Little Pwny

Garrett, KY

#87 May 6, 2014
Pike SO has 6 academy trained certified road deputies. You will know these officers by a specially designed pin that is worn above their right shirt pocket, it says none other than, "Academy Graduate" This pin is only issued to certified officers on day of graduation. Kentucky has 4 recognized police academies: Lexington Metro, Louisville Metro, KSP, and DOCJT. DOCJT is the academy that all 6 road deputies completed. That academy is currently 18 weeks initially with continuing in-service training of roughly 2 weeks every year. Do some research, DOCJT is a police academy that is second to none in the United States and actually develops training for several states throughout the country. Reserve deputies have their purpose as they are still fully authorized by KY law but that purpose should be extremely limited. Oddly enough, WTF, is correct. A section 1 reserve deputy has full police powers as an academy graduate, they just aren't allowed to be paid. Paper serving, funerals, ball games are where reserves are most beneficial. I also disagree with WTF on rarely any KY sheriff's being academy trained. Johnson, Knott, and Letcher county sheriff's offices are currently occupied by retired KSP troopers and those are just 3 eastern kentucky counties. The western part of the state is pretty much comprised of certified sheriffs.
the truth hurts

Richmond, KY

#89 May 7, 2014
you no that he has been a wife beater ,he has robbed every one including his on mother, and now he has spread his rain of terror into other states, where does it stop .I don't hope nothing bad on no one but someone better talk some scents in to this NUT and make him turn his self in, this aint the wild west you don't go around beating on the sheriff sorry, that wont work, if he don't turn him self in I would say he will have so many knots on his head he will look like mike Tyson had hold of him. yours truly truth hurts ?
wrongone

Whitesburg, KY

#91 May 7, 2014
the truth hurts wrote:
you no that he has been a wife beater ,he has robbed every one including his on mother, and now he has spread his rain of terror into other states, where does it stop .I don't hope nothing bad on no one but someone better talk some scents in to this NUT and make him turn his self in, this aint the wild west you don't go around beating on the sheriff sorry, that wont work, if he don't turn him self in I would say he will have so many knots on his head he will look like mike Tyson had hold of him. yours truly truth hurts ?
well if hes that bad of a dude then the wrong ones went after him. whoi was he going to take, that short one from millard that leads funerals? lol
Truth

United States

#94 May 8, 2014
wtf wrote:
<quoted text> if your asking if Fuzzy is academy trained ? I don't think there is a sheriff in KY that is, so that kind of a dumb question. But steve friend , Melvin sayers, and bert hatfield along with many of the road deputies are.
NO WTF That's not even close to what I was asking! Re-READ the post AGAIN! Its OBVIOUS you have a COMPREHENSION issue, my question was....." Is the deputy who shot the one arm man in which this discussion board is about.. Does he have a ACADEMY CERTIFICATION??? Since you have AVOIDED answering this question in SEVERAL posts it's OBVIOUS you either don't know the answer or he isn't academy certified and you don't want ANYONE to know! But I got my answer to the question already so I know the TRUTH!!! Just wanted to prove a point that you only answer to questions that you think puts Fuzzy on a pedestal or feed us some BS brain wash crap especially when you try to quote the KRS laws and then you even have issues with interpreting them! So I think you would be the last person we need to listen to at this point!
Truth

United States

#95 May 8, 2014
wtf wrote:
<quoted text>I'm done trying to argue with ignorance, you are simply making stuff up. KRS 70.045 does not say that, the academy requires that you take a police officer proficiency test, you have 1 yr after taking it to go or you have to retake it. And it is a 8 hr tazer class and from my understanding all of them hasn't came in yet.and one more thing before I go... A lot of Fuzzy's volunteers are retired officers that are certified.
Sounds to me that Rodney's gonna have to get a whole new crew when he WINS this election! By the time the RETIREES are actually made to RETIRE in addition to the purging of the Fuzzy (a$$ kisser) Club there should be plenty of job opportunities for people who want to work and get the job done right without any corruption included!!! Election Day is almost here.... Can't wait for Rodney to clean house and turn that dept into one of the best in the STATE! Go RODNEY!!!
forreal

Whitesburg, KY

#96 May 8, 2014
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
NO WTF That's not even close to what I was asking! Re-READ the post AGAIN! Its OBVIOUS you have a COMPREHENSION issue, my question was....." Is the deputy who shot the one arm man in which this discussion board is about.. Does he have a ACADEMY CERTIFICATION??? Since you have AVOIDED answering this question in SEVERAL posts it's OBVIOUS you either don't know the answer or he isn't academy certified and you don't want ANYONE to know! But I got my answer to the question already so I know the TRUTH!!! Just wanted to prove a point that you only answer to questions that you think puts Fuzzy on a pedestal or feed us some BS brain wash crap especially when you try to quote the KRS laws and then you even have issues with interpreting them! So I think you would be the last person we need to listen to at this point!
this deputy will not take the fitness test to be a cop. the test is real hard, its like 15 pushups and 20 situps.
J Dredd

Georgetown, IN

#97 May 8, 2014
I have been reading through all your posts and comments about this after somebody told me about this incident and thought I should chime in here. The deputy in question is a paid deputy, who is waiting for his start date at DOCJT which is soon. Is he academy trained currently, no. This young deputy is just like any other young officer, trying to prove himself to his/her peers and taking on more than they should to accomplish that and gain some respect among them. WE ALL do that when we first start our careers in law enforcement and sometimes it doesn't go so well. I agree, he should not have attempted this type of warrant execution alone. Now, to correct some wrong statements: there are 4 academies in the state as mentioned, Lexington, KSP, Louisville Metro, and DOCJT. It is required that a paid officer/deputy must be at a minimum ENROLLED within one year from their hire date, for one of those 4 academies. Failure to do so requires their dismissal. I cannot divulge much of what I have been informed about this, but many of you are either jumping to conclusions or being misinformed. While the bad guy was beating the hell out of this deputy with the deputies own items from his belt, he DID have the presence of mind to try and shoot him but the weapon misfired. Again, not putting confidential and sensitive information, but even the TRAINED law officers know the force continuum and know that if we are getting beat with our own stuff, deadly force is authorized. Some of you may not like that, but WE are gonna make sure we go home to our families. Mr Bad Guy has already made his choices and at that point it is a life or death struggle. Would you rather the good guy die and bad guy runs free to plunder and pileage and engage in more havoc? What if YOU are the next person they encounter? As for the shot fired, it was in the ground and not aimed at the bad guy, a warning shot if you will. But, once again, being untrained he does not realize he cannot do that. There's a lot of facts and information about this that you folks don't know, and hopefully they will come out. I agree, Fuzz has used "Special Deputies" for many many years and I knew that one day something would happen. However, this kid is a paid deputy that has not been sent to the academy. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry in Pike County has a badge and that should stop immediately. There's a reason no other sheriff in the state will take on that liability. I worked for ole daddy Fuzz a long long time ago, and I can honestly say he needs to step aside and let some fresh ideas take over. He's had his run, it's time for someone new to update that agency. And he should be held accountable for every penny of this deputy's medical expenses because he threw him to the wolves so to speak, without any training. But, unfortunately, many agencies do this same thing because they need bodies on the street. Hopefully this clears some of the issues folks. I just ask that you guys have a civilized debate about this incident and keep it clean and classy.
false

Whitesburg, KY

#98 May 9, 2014
J Dredd wrote:
I have been reading through all your posts and comments about this after somebody told me about this incident and thought I should chime in here. The deputy in question is a paid deputy, who is waiting for his start date at DOCJT which is soon. Is he academy trained currently, no. This young deputy is just like any other young officer, trying to prove himself to his/her peers and taking on more than they should to accomplish that and gain some respect among them. WE ALL do that when we first start our careers in law enforcement and sometimes it doesn't go so well. I agree, he should not have attempted this type of warrant execution alone. Now, to correct some wrong statements: there are 4 academies in the state as mentioned, Lexington, KSP, Louisville Metro, and DOCJT. It is required that a paid officer/deputy must be at a minimum ENROLLED within one year from their hire date, for one of those 4 academies. Failure to do so requires their dismissal. I cannot divulge much of what I have been informed about this, but many of you are either jumping to conclusions or being misinformed. While the bad guy was beating the hell out of this deputy with the deputies own items from his belt, he DID have the presence of mind to try and shoot him but the weapon misfired. Again, not putting confidential and sensitive information, but even the TRAINED law officers know the force continuum and know that if we are getting beat with our own stuff, deadly force is authorized. Some of you may not like that, but WE are gonna make sure we go home to our families. Mr Bad Guy has already made his choices and at that point it is a life or death struggle. Would you rather the good guy die and bad guy runs free to plunder and pileage and engage in more havoc? What if YOU are the next person they encounter? As for the shot fired, it was in the ground and not aimed at the bad guy, a warning shot if you will. But, once again, being untrained he does not realize he cannot do that. There's a lot of facts and information about this that you folks don't know, and hopefully they will come out. I agree, Fuzz has used "Special Deputies" for many many years and I knew that one day something would happen. However, this kid is a paid deputy that has not been sent to the academy. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry in Pike County has a badge and that should stop immediately. There's a reason no other sheriff in the state will take on that liability. I worked for ole daddy Fuzz a long long time ago, and I can honestly say he needs to step aside and let some fresh ideas take over. He's had his run, it's time for someone new to update that agency. And he should be held accountable for every penny of this deputy's medical expenses because he threw him to the wolves so to speak, without any training. But, unfortunately, many agencies do this same thing because they need bodies on the street. Hopefully this clears some of the issues folks. I just ask that you guys have a civilized debate about this incident and keep it clean and classy.
Melvin is going to hang ross out to dry. hes telling people he told ross to take someone with him. you know Melvin isn't above covering things up. they are terrified that an unpaid deputy almost killed someone. also this boy is a dispatcher not a paid deputy, there is no one year limit on unpaid deputies.
Could Be

Macon, GA

#99 May 9, 2014
Ross could be a paid deputy, BUT as a bailiff, or court officer. If that is the case, he has no business outside of the courthouse. At least that is my understanding. Yes, if he is a court officer, he does have up to a year to be sent to the academy if he wants to be a certified road deputy. As you said he is a certified dispatcher, and that in itself is not saying much considering that another dispatcher was allowed to resign after being charged with official misconduct and still out running around with the person he was accused of giving sensitive and confidential information to. Everyone knows Melvin only cares about how he looks to the sheriff and can tell Fuzzy anything, and Fuzzy will believe it. I honestly believe that Fuzzy has lost this election by NOT controlling his own people for years. And I will say this, if I were the Sheriff, I would make sure the person who is "speaking" on my behalf is more competent than I was. No need to get on here and argue, the votes will show who the people want as a sheriff. We could blame Melvin or anyone else up there, but it all comes back to the sheriff and how he runs his department. Not very well....
rat hater

Elkhorn City, KY

#100 May 9, 2014
J Dredd wrote:
You're just another wanna-be cop like the deputy in question, in my opinion anyway. Tho I could be wrong.
I do agree with you on poor judgement by the said deputy and by our sheriff too. It's a wonder someone didnt get killed and I think "special" deputies and the like shouldn't be used in the S. O.
They're usually people who have mental health issues or some kinda complex about who's in charge.
careless

Whitesburg, KY

#101 May 9, 2014
Could Be wrote:
Ross could be a paid deputy, BUT as a bailiff, or court officer. If that is the case, he has no business outside of the courthouse. At least that is my understanding. Yes, if he is a court officer, he does have up to a year to be sent to the academy if he wants to be a certified road deputy. As you said he is a certified dispatcher, and that in itself is not saying much considering that another dispatcher was allowed to resign after being charged with official misconduct and still out running around with the person he was accused of giving sensitive and confidential information to. Everyone knows Melvin only cares about how he looks to the sheriff and can tell Fuzzy anything, and Fuzzy will believe it. I honestly believe that Fuzzy has lost this election by NOT controlling his own people for years. And I will say this, if I were the Sheriff, I would make sure the person who is "speaking" on my behalf is more competent than I was. No need to get on here and argue, the votes will show who the people want as a sheriff. We could blame Melvin or anyone else up there, but it all comes back to the sheriff and how he runs his department. Not very well....
fuzzy has not had any competition in decades. no one that stood a chance. now Rodney comes along and they are scared. for the first time people have a choice! and its not between a nice senile old man and an idiot. the deputies run wild. after four o clock that office has no supervision. by that point in the evening fuzzy is out of it. if this boy was told to take someone and did not then he needs punished. that goes to show he is not afraid of his bosses.
careless

Whitesburg, KY

#102 May 9, 2014
rat hater wrote:
<quoted text>
You're just another wanna-be cop like the deputy in question, in my opinion anyway. Tho I could be wrong.
I do agree with you on poor judgement by the said deputy and by our sheriff too. It's a wonder someone didnt get killed and I think "special" deputies and the like shouldn't be used in the S. O.
They're usually people who have mental health issues or some kinda complex about who's in charge.
the whole sheriffs office is full of wanna be cops. they want a cruiser and a badge. others like being called a cop and not really having to do anything other than drive funerals
Truth

United States

#104 May 9, 2014
Could Be wrote:
This "resigned" Dispatcher is STILL hanging out around the Sheriff Office too!!
Truth

Charlotte, NC

#107 May 10, 2014
J Dredd wrote:
Good post! About being academically trained... They teach you if you have to pull your weapon out, you USE it.... Never as a WARNING shot!! Just another reason to attend the academy before playing SUPER COP!! Oh one more question... The gun "misfired"?? Is that the story Fuzzy or Melvin came up with?? LMAO!!
Truth

Charlotte, NC

#108 May 10, 2014
false wrote:
<quoted text>
Melvin is going to hang ross out to dry. hes telling people he told ross to take someone with him. you know Melvin isn't above covering things up. they are terrified that an unpaid deputy almost killed someone. also this boy is a dispatcher not a paid deputy, there is no one year limit on unpaid deputies.
So he shouldn't have been on the road anyways!! Let me guess... Did he drive a cruiser car?? If so, why in the world would a DISPATCHER have a cruiser car to drive?
stillhere

Whitesburg, KY

#115 May 15, 2014
he is still working, going on drug cases. I bet he wont go serve warrants alone anymore.
bssssssssssss

Elkhorn City, KY

#116 Aug 29, 2014
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Good post! About being academically trained... They teach you if you have to pull your weapon out, you USE it.... Never as a WARNING shot!! Just another reason to attend the academy before playing SUPER COP!! Oh one more question... The gun "misfired"?? Is that the story Fuzzy or Melvin came up with?? LMAO!!
and a blue ribbon goes to misfired for wrecking the most deputy cars in history. just collided with state trooper today.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 27 min another viewer 153,727
President Trump Won BIG. Knock her down a notch. 43 min new party soon 4
Bowling Green Kentucky Air Service Huge Success 1 hr Pie in the Sky 46
~*~ Last Post Wins ~*~ (Aug '11) 1 hr Princess Hey 8,084
Trump lost debate! 2 hr Sara 7
FBI Pikeville worst town 2 hr Lucifers demon sc... 81
Clerk Pleads Guilty 2 hr BS KY 5
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... (Jul '14) 2 hr ___Jenny___ 34,051
Bill Hickman and Eddy Coleman 8 hr Not one for all a... 55

Pikeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pikeville Mortgages