East Ky. Animal Clinic & GS puppies.....

East Ky. Animal Clinic & GS puppies..PLEASE HELP!

Posted in the Pikeville Forum

Kasie

Chesterfield, MO

#1 Aug 27, 2011
We have a litter of 2 week old German Shepherd puppies....
I've always used Joey Collins as our vet, but recently....one of his female vets misdiagnosed the father of our puppies & almost killed him, I have also spoken with other GS breeders who have said that they do not give this specific breed quality care...I don't know what to do, do any of you have GS & do you take them there & are you satisfied with care that they receive???
Joey

Clarksville, TN

#2 Aug 27, 2011
Always thought Joey was in it for the money, not the animals. Go to Lawson if you've already had problems with Joey- I dunno about German Shepherd pups, but I know it might be worth a little more of a drive (not much though) to get quality care..
Girly girl

Chesterfield, MO

#3 Aug 28, 2011
I've heard the same thing, but I don't know if it's true.
pikeville

Pikeville, KY

#4 Oct 14, 2011
Joey wrote:
Always thought Joey was in it for the money, not the animals. Go to Lawson if you've already had problems with Joey- I dunno about German Shepherd pups, but I know it might be worth a little more of a drive (not much though) to get quality care..
Lawson doesn't deal with large breed dogs anymore. I always recommend Country Hills in Prestonsburg. They are really great there, but they will cost more. I have also had really great experiences with Highlands Vet Clinic in Paintsville. The vet there is really good, and is very affordable. I unfortunatly have not had any great experiences with East KY Animal Clinic and I refuse to go there anymore. Many years back I had a chihuahua that got bit by a snake in the eye area so I took her to him. He misdiagnosed her saying it was a bee sting, and used a needle to spread the venom, causing her eye socket to rott off. She lost her vision in that eye and was never the same. If you love your puppies as much as I do, then you could understand the importance of a great vet!

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#5 Oct 14, 2011
I very much agree with pikeville. Joey misdiagnosed my dog and it cost her her life. I know it's inconvenient to go to the vet in Prestonsburg, but it's worth it to make sure your pets get the care they deserve.
Sun Maid

United States

#6 Oct 14, 2011
There is a new vet coming to the Robinson Creek area around Colley Hills. They are supposed to be up and running in late November. It will be called Valley Veterinary Clinic owned and operated by Whitney Maynard Rauth.
Student

Clay City, KY

#7 Oct 14, 2011
I used to raise dobermans and happened across Dr. Green years ago when he was first starting out and working under Dr. Collins. He has his own practice about half way between Prestonsburg and Paintsville now. If I'm not mistaken his wife works with him too. They are excellent Doctors and are terrific with large dogs. I know it is out of the way but it is well worth the extra time driving down. My dog was very well trained and I dropped him off once which is about the time they were first starting and I had to leave to tend to a few things in town. I came back and he was running free throughout their office, having such a good time he didn't want to leave. I realize some are just in it for the money but that proved to me they also love animals, even larger breeds. I don't own dogs anymore but if I did that would be the only place I would allow to treat my pets. I can look up the name of the Clinic if you want and post it. I guarantee you will be satisfied. Owning GS's you won't be cropping the ears but for anybody out there that does Doctor Collins only cuts them one way, and it is short. Doctor Ousley did one of my dogs and it was one of the prettiest cuts I have seen, a long cut. It takes a little more care to get them to stand but well worth the look. I'm not sure about Dr Green because I didn't need another ones ears cropped. I'm not even sure he will do the long cut but if he does I wouldn't hesitate to let him do it. As you can easily tell I was very impressed with Dr. Green.
I love my dogs

Ransom, KY

#8 Oct 15, 2011
Yes, pls post!
Williamson

Pikeville, KY

#9 Oct 15, 2011
Try Dr. Koch in Downtown Williamson. I know it's a little bit of a drive, but he's cheaper than Joey, and gives better quality care. Plus, it's never overran and you can usually walk on in. He has a very dry personality, but he's all about the animals. My Yorkie had a stomach virus and dehydrated and had to stay overnight on an IV. Two days after he came home, Dr. Koch personally called to check on him. You just don't get that kind of care anymore.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pikeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What happened to Wide Open Outdoors? 9 min Fat guy 14
JKC 2018 for Pikeville City Commissioner 17 min Ye ye yes mi mi M... 12
Fiber optics internet 50 min I Know 2
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr Just an observer 170,014
Rickie Bartley resigns 1 hr waiting 12
Dear Ray Jones and Amy 2 hr big daddy here 13
Pike Central Basketball Under Investigation? 3 hr uranut631 23
Keith Faces New Charges 7 hr Like minded peeps 21
Ray Jones on WYMT 9 hr Pikeville Elite 31

Pikeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pikeville Mortgages